Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The game release schedule is very rapid lately and this thread is an attempt to try to keep up with it and talk exclusively about new/upcoming games. This thread is all about discovery and sharing first impressions from playing new stuff. Let's see if it takes off.

Rules:
    1. It's about discovering overlooked titles, keeping it fresh, always moving forward.
    2. The games we talk about here must be AT THE MAXIMUM from last month (unless it's used to compare with a new title).
    3. If a game takes over discussion itt it should probably move to its own thread (make one if it doesn't exist).
    4. This thread is NOT for talking about this amazing older game that you only just played.
    5. You can talk about PC and console games.

What are you hyped for and what game released lately have you been playing?

Palpek fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

To get the ball rolling, here are some fresh and upcoming games from this month that I thought look interesting:

John Wick Hex - a tactical turn-based John Wick action title. I'm already playing it, seems solid but I'm not that far into it yet.

Neo Cab - an interactive story where you're a cab driver in a cyberpunk city talking to your clients

Indivisible - a hand drawn action RPG from the creators of Skullgirls

Trine 4 - it's back to the side view baby, I'm cautiously excited

We Were Here Together - an asymmetrical co-op first person puzzle game relying on communication between the players (offers playing with random people online too)

Deliver Us To The Moon - Space Odyssey meets Gravity or something like that, impressive graphics

Valfaris - Heavy Metal inspired 2D action platformer, old-school 8 direction aiming though

Pine - an open world RPG with antropomorhpic animals

Disco Elysium - October 15 - an open-world RPG that looks loving incredible

Chernobylite - October 16 - an open world sci-fi survival horror set in Chernobyl

The Outer Worlds - October 26 - last but not least, Obsidian's new New Vegas

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Disco Elysium gonna be amazing.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Palpek posted:

The Outer Worlds - October 26 - last but not least, Obsidian's new New Vegas

Is there a forums thread for The Outer Worlds? I can't see one, but also I suffer from being dumb as poo poo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Eyespy posted:

Is there a forums thread for The Outer Worlds? I can't see one, but also I suffer from being dumb as poo poo.
Right here.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Freeman Guerrilla Warfare is Mount and Blade with guns. No, I'm serious. They lifted basically everything and I wouldn't be surprised if they licensed the engine and it officially was an offshoot. If you played M&B, you'll at least know vaguely how it works.

I like the concept and I'm having at least a little fun running around with my YPJ-esque gangs of women militia.

The execution needs a TON of work. It went 1.0 a couple weeks ago but I don't think it was ready for that. The gunplay is kind of blah, the battle maps are pretty barren, the AI is both dumb as hell and has an unfair aim and damage advantage I feel. It had vehicles before I'm told, but they took it out because they were broke.

I'm looking forward to it receiving more updates, if it does. This is pretty much what I always Arma to be, just roaming around getting into fights and mananaging your little platoon.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Accordion Man posted:

Disco Elysium gonna be amazing.
Yeah, it's releasing today :woop:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Def Disco Elysium. It caught my attention back when it was named No Truce with the Furries Furies.

I saw Chernobylite on the list and got excited, but it's just early access? :confused:

I'll be waiting for The Outer Worlds to be released on GoG/Steam.

Shinjobi posted:

I know nothing of Disco Elysium but drat if I'm not suddenly super interested after just one trailer

Gonna be good :toot:

itry fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 15, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I know nothing of Disco Elysium but drat if I'm not suddenly super interested after just one trailer

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Disco Elysium thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899418

The reviewers are already calling it the best Rpg of all time, a masterpiece and so on. Day one purchase for sure.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Noita is doing pretty well; it's on the list of top selling games on Steam, and I am seeing a ton of twitch streamers play it too. Not too shabby for an Early Access title. Hempuli, the goon who is one of the devs, is on a roll after Baba Is You and Noita. :allears:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Disco Elysium - October 15 - an open-world RPG that looks loving incredible

Never heard of this, but now I can't wait for it, and I don't have to because it's out today! Thanks!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Noita is great so far. Hoping it gets some good game pad support for cripples like me. Stealing Terraria’s or Spelunkey’s would be a good start.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Disco Elysium released an hour earlier than expected. Go get!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
AI War 2 is coming out of Early Access in a week. I backed it way back when on Kickstarter, and after some rough patches and at least one major overhaul, it's in a fairly enjoyable state. No multiplayer yet, which was the best part of the first game, but the dev plans on (re)implementing it post-release.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

LifeLynx posted:

Never heard of this, but now I can't wait for it, and I don't have to because it's out today! Thanks!
The system works :moonrio:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Anyone played Indivisible yet? I think it looks amazing and I really want to play it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I saw this one today, releases on the 17th: Felix The Reaper - "a 3D shadow manipulation puzzle adventure game of dance"

Looks kinda cool.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Thanks for making this thread, I hadn't heard of Disco Elysium and very easily could've missed it entirely.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

itry posted:

I saw Chernobylite on the list and got excited, but it's just early access? :confused:
I know but I still dig it a lot and apparently it will be fully playable at release, their early access plan is more about expanding on the gameworld (still probably better to wait for the full release). It looks like RE7 set in lovingly recreated open-world Chernobyl (they're actually 3D scanning existing locations) and that sounds interesting as hell.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Julius CSAR posted:

Anyone played Indivisible yet? I think it looks amazing and I really want to play it
I'm not really into platformers or fighting games, but I think Indivisible is a great game. Moving through the levels feels like solving a puzzle and the combat has flow changers that force you to vary up your tactics. The boss fights are usually 50% standard battles and 50% platforming/engaging with the stage gimmick. Controlling 4 characters at once is actually a bit easier than it sounds, each npc you recruit has it's own gimmicks and you can usually just go with ones whose mechanics you prefer. You may have to switch things up on occasion to take advantage of certain enemies' vulnerabilities or to bypass their strengths. Your party members are interesting and amusing, some of the background npcs are a bit meh writing wise(there's a lot of internet cameos). It does have some glitches, like some encounters you'll face enemies that hit 10 times harder than they should, sometimes dying resets this, but not always. It's a very beautifully animated game, that's for sure.

While certainly not without flaws, I'd feel fine saying it's a fantastic game and I recommend you give it a shot.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Awesome, thank you

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It's still in EA and only got one level out but Gensokyo Night Festival is a pretty interesting sidescroller/shooter with some bizarre mechanics and a cool art style.

Also as a Touhou game it has bitching music.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 16, 2019

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Looks like Chernobylite might be good going by early impressions?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Good idea for a thread, there's a ton of games coming out and between playing Pathologic 2 and probably Outer Worlds since I'm getting it with Game Pass I'm not going to be able to keep up with all the releases.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Two interesting potentially Halloween games released today:

The Beast Inside - looks like an Amnesia-like game set in an old RE7-like house

Sea Salt - a horror take on Pikmin

Palpek fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 17, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't have a cute picture but Doraemon Story of Seasons came out last Friday in the west for Switch and PC and was made in collaboration with former legend of mana folks. I mention it because it feels like no one has talked about it (but then i also haven't gone in the steam or switch threads so hell if i know).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Palpek posted:

Indivisible - a hand drawn action RPG from the creators of Skullgirls

I've powered through most of this in the past few days since I've been down with the plague this week, and it's a pretty strong recommend. Good enough story, and it looks incredible (assuming you're onboard with the art style).

I have two main gripes. The overworld design is your basic simple 2D metroidvania/Celeste/etc design that opens up as you get movement powers. This gets frustrating at times because the platforming isn't quite as tight as it would be if that were the sole focus, so some sections are aggravatingly tougher than they should be. The quest order is also loose enough that you sometimes don't know where to go, and it's unclear if you're supposed to be locked out of an area or if you're not getting the challenge quite right because the controls are a bit imprecise (like doing the same jump a dozen times before it somehow just works). There's also the usual RPG issue where some areas of random mooks are just inexplicably damage sponges, but you can pretty often avoid combat if needed.

Those issues are outweighed by the main game, it's an active combat style that I haven't seen before, and it's really fun once you get the hang of it. After some trouble early on, I've been able to power through pretty consistently, and the fighting (even the bosses) largely hit a good balance of challenging but doable. Definitely worth checking out.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah it's a lot of fun. I'm enjoying swapping around different party members a lot more than I thought I would

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Six Ages released on Steam today. If you're familiar with King of Dragon Pass you'll instantly recognize it. You manage a tribe in a fantasy setting, it's good fun.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Palpek posted:

I know but I still dig it a lot and apparently it will be fully playable at release, their early access plan is more about expanding on the gameworld (still probably better to wait for the full release). It looks like RE7 set in lovingly recreated open-world Chernobyl (they're actually 3D scanning existing locations) and that sounds interesting as hell.

I think they're also recording ambient sound in there.

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's still in EA and only got one level out but Gensokyo Night Festival is a pretty interesting sidescroller/shooter with some bizarre mechanics and a cool art style.

Also as a Touhou game it has bitching music.

itry fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 18, 2019

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

Sokani posted:

Six Ages released on Steam today. If you're familiar with King of Dragon Pass you'll instantly recognize it. You manage a tribe in a fantasy setting, it's good fun.

Oh wow this looks identical. Will definately check it out.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Is shilling our own games allowed if it's a fresh release?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Phantasium posted:

I don't have a cute picture but Doraemon Story of Seasons came out last Friday in the west for Switch and PC and was made in collaboration with former legend of mana folks. I mention it because it feels like no one has talked about it (but then i also haven't gone in the steam or switch threads so hell if i know).
It does look hella cute:

something posted:

Is shilling our own games allowed if it's a fresh release?
Sure, but make one post about it and don't actually shill on every page.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Phantasium posted:

i would be super interested if the doraemon art style weren't repulsive to me

itry
Aug 23, 2019

From Felix the Reaper:

:haw:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Palpek posted:

Sure, but make one post about it and don't actually shill on every page.

Thanks a bunch!

So my Idle/Incremental/Clicker game NGU IDLE launched at the start of this month:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1147690/NGU_IDLE/

If you've ever played a game like Cookie Clicker or Clicker Heroes or Adventure Capitalist, it's one of those but better because a goon made it. It's a mix of a Resource Management and RPG game where you can close it overnight or go to work, and come back and you've gained all sorts of stats and things and makes you feel like you accomplished something in your life. It's chock-full of crude jokes and puns and recently some cool art another goon (Musluk) made.

This .gif sums up the tone of NGU IDLE:

And now my shill has ended.

something fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 18, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Looks pretty good! I’ll give it a download when I’m home.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I just saw that earlier this month a new Amanita Design game got released (they made Machniarium and Botanicula): Pilgrims

As always it looks very original but might be too rough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
No pictures but another Harvest Moon Em Up came out a few days ago. First impressions - it looks pretty cute.

Stranded Sails

Flail Snail fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 18, 2019