Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

graventy posted:

I mean I get that the details there are weird, but man or woman if you wake up in a strange body aren't you going to check yourself out?

Not like that, dude. Not with those words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

wizzardstaff posted:

Someone from the previous thread recommended Eifelheim and it finally came in from the library. Thanks for the tip. It's a slow burn but just starting to pick up.

Though there seems to be some romantic subplot forming with the research assistant in the present-day timeline and I am very much not into it.

That was me, hope you enjoy it :)

The modern-day timeline is definitely jarring compared to the rest of the book - it makes more sense when you realise he originally wrote it as a novella in the 1980s where it was just the modern-day timeline, with researchers stumbling upon the truth that first contact had already happened, just from examining the historical record. But he uses it kind of cleverly throughout - sometimes you learn of stuff which will happen later on in the medieval timeline based on what the researchers have discovered, but then when it happens it plays out differently to how you expect, etc. And the ending of the book makes the modern story thread feel very much earned and necessary.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

graventy posted:

I mean I get that the details there are weird, but man or woman if you wake up in a strange body aren't you going to check yourself out?

Uh no, obviously if you woke up in a female body the very first thing you would do is start playing with your own breasts then lasciviously describe their shape, firmness, texture, color, aureola color, nipple color, nipple sensitivity, nipple size, nipple length, and you'd obviously want to invest some time playing with them to see how responsive they, how that makes you feel etc..

Have you not like literally created a checklist for yourself for what you would do if you woke up in a female body?

FYI, if you haven't you'll never be a successful sci-fi author, this is literally a huge part of the SFWA application.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pseudanonymous posted:

Uh no, obviously if you woke up in a female body the very first thing you would do is start playing with your own breasts then lasciviously describe their shape, firmness, texture, color, aureola color, nipple color, nipple sensitivity, nipple size, nipple length, and you'd obviously want to invest some time playing with them to see how responsive they, how that makes you feel etc..

Have you not like literally created a checklist for yourself for what you would do if you woke up in a female body?

FYI, if you haven't you'll never be a successful sci-fi author, this is literally a huge part of the SFWA application.

I might eventually do stuff like that, but figure one of my first thoughts would be "gently caress! Pissing is going to be way less convenient now! No more playing Lumberjack either."

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

freebooter posted:

That was me, hope you enjoy it :)

The modern-day timeline is definitely jarring compared to the rest of the book - it makes more sense when you realise he originally wrote it as a novella in the 1980s where it was just the modern-day timeline, with researchers stumbling upon the truth that first contact had already happened, just from examining the historical record. But he uses it kind of cleverly throughout - sometimes you learn of stuff which will happen later on in the medieval timeline based on what the researchers have discovered, but then when it happens it plays out differently to how you expect, etc. And the ending of the book makes the modern story thread feel very much earned and necessary.

Oh, I definitely appreciate the modern timeline, it casts a third perspective on the medieval timeline because you know the broad strokes of how things end up. (The first two perspectives being Dietrich's POV and what we as sci fi readers can infer about the Krenken. And all three have some degree of unreliability, which is extremely my jam.)

So yeah, thanks for the tip.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Owlkill posted:

Children of Time is fantastic - can anyone recommend any of Tchaikovsky's other stuff? He seems to be a pretty prolific writer.

I liked the novella ironclads about a libertarian/corporatist future war in Europe with mecha told from a grunts eye view.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm about a third to halfway through Quantum Thief and I'm having a hard time deciding if I like it. I think to some degree I'm kind of over sci-fi novels stubbornly refusing to explain things, but at the same time I'm happy it hasn't taken the time for big exposition dumps. I think maybe I feel like it just has too much going on so far? I like it enough to keep reading, so I'm hoping it all kind of shakes out in an interesting way by the end of the book.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I'm only a few chapters in and it hasn't quite grabbed me yet, but I'm going to give it more time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm about a third to halfway through Quantum Thief and I'm having a hard time deciding if I like it. I think to some degree I'm kind of over sci-fi novels stubbornly refusing to explain things, but at the same time I'm happy it hasn't taken the time for big exposition dumps. I think maybe I feel like it just has too much going on so far? I like it enough to keep reading, so I'm hoping it all kind of shakes out in an interesting way by the end of the book.
A lot of that book is setup, the last third is when it comes together.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just got the Nov/Dec 2019 Analog, will try and remember to post which stories I like.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
People who enjoyed Djinn City might want to check out The Gurkha and the Lord of Tuesday by the same author. It's a novella and unlike Djinn City actually has an ending, all while being in the same "universe" as it were.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My review of Steel Frame by Andrew Skinner:

Rook is the protagonist, a women who flies giant mechas, who spent her career rescuing downed jockeys from battlefields and getting them to medics. PTSD caught up with her, and a traumatic incident put her in jail, into a chain-gang on a giant starship stationed in the broken part of outer space.

The Eye. The ocean, a region of space that has so much debris and strange physics going on that it's an ocean instead of void. Time works differently here. The various megacorps who constantly fight each other for the rest of space have a tense truce in the Eye, because it's all unexplored and there are treasures inside. Maybe.

So Rook has been taken from prison and put into this region of space and because her megacorp isn't sure this place is profitable, its ships are crewed by an increasing ratio of convicts.

This is where she meets the Juno. Her new giant mech, her shell. It's an antique, a prototype that's violent when she first meets it: it's rebelling, breaking from its restraints and trying to eke out a bit of space in its hangar. The only reason they can talk it down from more violence is because Rook is given its old jockey's helmet, which she uses to talk to it - but it forgives the deception and takes her as its pilot.

Juno's old and traumatized from losing its old pilots. Rook's traumatized from losing jockeys she couldn't rescue in time. They're both traumatized but they fly well together, and if you as a reader cannot approach these two characters ready to try to understand them, this book won't work. It's entirely from Rook's POV.

The plot? The plot is: Rook's part of a four-man unit of jockeys sent to explore some of the ruins in the ocean. They don't so much find horror as it finds them, and the plot escalates in action and horror: there's a devastating virus, there's an imprisoned thing, there are the other megacorps, and there's Rook's unit: Hail, another convict who leads them all. Salt, a giant of a man who carries his own trauma. Locust. Andrade.

This book goes surprisingly wide, filling in details about the wars outside the ocean, where these broken convicts came from. It fills in the story of the megacorp they work for, the ones they're aiming against, everything.

The book stays narrow, staying in Rook's head and following only what she's involved in.

It's so deep, though. Rook is so, so compelling and understandable, and the Juno alien in the right ways, understandable in the right ways.

I didn't know I could find a sci-fi book that hits everything I want: military sci-fi action, deep introspective psychological drama, horror, alien things, etc. Everything in this book sings just right and I didn't know it could exist without me having to write it.

Author? You did good.

Reader of this review? You gotta read this book. You gotta. The prose is hypnotic and you could drown in it. You deserve to enjoy this book.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That's quite a sales pitch. I'll check it out.

Orv
May 4, 2011
He sighed as he unsheathed his credit card.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

help, i'm drowning in hypnotic prose!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Only 7 bux too. :-/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a foolish pianist posted:

The Rook is incredibly aggravating in a men-writing-women-badly sort of way. There's lots of poo poo like this:

Holy poo poo lmfao. I have a lot of sisters so I've always known how bullshit the... I guess you'd say, cultural conception of what men think women think like? is. It's so completely wrong its funny; it's like what a Tarantino villain would think. And this guy apparently wrote it straight out like it was clever

Anyway yall mentioned the Goblin Emperor a while back and I gotta say I loved it. I really didn't think I'd ever get a fantasy book to make me feel sorry for a noble. They're always either just despite their unjust place in the world, or cartoon evil. But this guy is very relatable.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 17, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Holy poo poo lmfao. I have a lot of sisters so I've always known how bullshit the... I guess you'd say, cultural conception of what men think women think like? is. It's so completely wrong its funny; it's like what a Tarantino villain would think. And this guy apparently wrote it straight out like it was clever

Anyway yall mentioned the Goblin Emperor a while back and I gotta say I loved it. I really didn't think I'd ever get a fantasy book to make me feel sorry for a noble. They're always either just despite their unjust place in the world, or cartoon evil. But this guy is very relatable.

You might wanna look at the Seer by Sonia Orin Lyris, as it also features a dude who aspires to become a noble and succeeds and then spends a good chunk of the book drowning in way too much goddamned work. It's also a solid fantasy work about a girl who can see the future (sometimes, imperfectly) and the assassin/kidnapper sent to retrieve her. I enjoyed it a lot. Note that it's standalone but with room for a sequel, and the author wrote a sequel and then got into a thing with Baen so she's now publishing it via patreon.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I have other reading obligations, so I've only read one story from Analog so far. An Eye for an Eye, a first contact story between humans and an alien species with a very peculiar form of initial greeting. Continues from the same author's earlier story, published in 2018, about the events leading up to the human landing from that species` perspective.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

My review of Steel Frame by Andrew Skinner:

Rook is the protagonist, a women who flies giant mechas, who spent her career rescuing downed jockeys from battlefields and getting them to medics. PTSD caught up with her, and a traumatic incident put her in jail, into a chain-gang on a giant starship stationed in the broken part of outer space.

The Eye. The ocean, a region of space that has so much debris and strange physics going on that it's an ocean instead of void. Time works differently here. The various megacorps who constantly fight each other for the rest of space have a tense truce in the Eye, because it's all unexplored and there are treasures inside. Maybe.

So Rook has been taken from prison and put into this region of space and because her megacorp isn't sure this place is profitable, its ships are crewed by an increasing ratio of convicts.

This is where she meets the Juno. Her new giant mech, her shell. It's an antique, a prototype that's violent when she first meets it: it's rebelling, breaking from its restraints and trying to eke out a bit of space in its hangar. The only reason they can talk it down from more violence is because Rook is given its old jockey's helmet, which she uses to talk to it - but it forgives the deception and takes her as its pilot.

Juno's old and traumatized from losing its old pilots. Rook's traumatized from losing jockeys she couldn't rescue in time. They're both traumatized but they fly well together, and if you as a reader cannot approach these two characters ready to try to understand them, this book won't work. It's entirely from Rook's POV.

The plot? The plot is: Rook's part of a four-man unit of jockeys sent to explore some of the ruins in the ocean. They don't so much find horror as it finds them, and the plot escalates in action and horror: there's a devastating virus, there's an imprisoned thing, there are the other megacorps, and there's Rook's unit: Hail, another convict who leads them all. Salt, a giant of a man who carries his own trauma. Locust. Andrade.

This book goes surprisingly wide, filling in details about the wars outside the ocean, where these broken convicts came from. It fills in the story of the megacorp they work for, the ones they're aiming against, everything.

The book stays narrow, staying in Rook's head and following only what she's involved in.

It's so deep, though. Rook is so, so compelling and understandable, and the Juno alien in the right ways, understandable in the right ways.

I didn't know I could find a sci-fi book that hits everything I want: military sci-fi action, deep introspective psychological drama, horror, alien things, etc. Everything in this book sings just right and I didn't know it could exist without me having to write it.

Author? You did good.

Reader of this review? You gotta read this book. You gotta. The prose is hypnotic and you could drown in it. You deserve to enjoy this book.
I want you to know I am holding you personally responsible for my fantasy backlog. First Gideon, then Sagara and now this.

e: At least it seems short. And hey, giant robots.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 17, 2019

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Started Children of Time and finding it really, compulsively readable. One tiny detail I loved (spoilering this even though I'm pretty sure everybody who hears about it will learn what kind of alien/animal the book is about) was how one of the spiders off-handedly mentions another should take "maybe 24 warriors" with her, the same way we'd say "maybe 20 or 30." Because of course they think in multiples of eight.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm starting on The Belgariad for the first time in several years, and it's a refreshing break from all the grim, serious sci-fi and fantasy and history I've been reading lately. They're not perfect books, and ideal for a YA audience, but I think there's something to be said as an adult for books that are just plain clean, wholesome fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I'm starting on The Belgariad for the first time in several years, and it's a refreshing break from all the grim, serious sci-fi and fantasy and history I've been reading lately. They're not perfect books, and ideal for a YA audience, but I think there's something to be said as an adult for books that are just plain clean, wholesome fun.

Shame it was written by a child abuser.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Cythereal posted:

Wholesome fun like locking children in cages.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait, what? This is the first I've heard of that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wikipedia tells me Leigh was "uncredited co-author of his early works," so possibly two!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Wait, what? This is the first I've heard of that.

It's in their wikipedia page with links to newspaper articles. I'm on phone so I can't link but IIRC they adopted children and the kids were found with lots and lots of bruises.

e: oh and they went to jail for it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's in their wikipedia page with links to newspaper articles. I'm on phone so I can't link but IIRC they adopted children and the kids were found with lots and lots of bruises.

gently caress. :( I never thought to look into who Eddings is as a person.

Welp. That just ruined my current reading experience.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

gently caress. :( I never thought to look into who Eddings is as a person.

Welp. That just ruined my current reading experience.

It sucks and I'm sorry.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

StrixNebulosa posted:

When I was a teenager I bought all their books. That included The Losers, an allegory written in the 70s but published decades later, after their success. There's a lot of anti-social-worker and anti-government content in it. At the end of the book, the protagonist delivers a few pages of monologue which a judge applauds while government lawyers look on impotently. It resembles those Facebook memes that go: "...and that student was Albert Einstein."

At the time, I thought it was just some Randite wanking but after finding out about the child abuse and jail time... It looks a little different, particularly the venom directed at social workers.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

StrixNebulosa posted:

And lost custody of the kids.

In 19 goddamn 69.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, the good news is you are free to enjoy the stories without having to worry that you are financially supporting a horrible person. Both he and his wife are long dead.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Owlkill posted:

Children of Time is fantastic - can anyone recommend any of Tchaikovsky's other stuff? He seems to be a pretty prolific writer.

I really enjoyed The Expert System's Brother

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, the good news is you are free to enjoy the stories without having to worry that you are financially supporting a horrible person. Both he and his wife are long dead.

Their estates are in trust at Reed College in the Language Arts section, with a direction to fund student tuition for scholars seeking to study secondary languages. So you can read about blue rocks in relative peace.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Anias posted:

Their estates are in trust at Reed College in the Language Arts section, with a direction to fund student tuition for scholars seeking to study secondary languages. So you can read about blue rocks in relative peace.

And the college library has a bunch of author notes and other materials in their special collections archive, which is neat to see.

Still stinks that someone(s) who created such a formative series for me and many others turned out to be so horrible, though. :(

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Anias posted:

The relative peace of enjoying books about magical small girls who love to tease and kiss old men and sit on their laps as a form of control.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There wasn't much small girl being all kissy controlling old men in the belgariad or malloreon. There is a princess, but she was actually more commanding (literally, eventually) and whatnot than all girly hair and ponies and love.

That was mostly in the other series he did.
Kinda weird in retrospect but I still laughed when she confused the poo poo out of the troll gods by kissing one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

There wasn't much small girl being all kissy controlling old men in the belgariad or malloreon. There is a princess, but she was actually more commanding (literally, eventually) and whatnot than all girly hair and ponies and love.

Yeah. Ce'Nedra's annoying, but imo she's a pretty accurate depiction of a spoiled 15 year old girl.

I did notice though, reading this series with adult eyes, that one of the heroes is a rapist and absolutely no one but his victim calls him on it.

I'm not financially supporting them, my local library is. :v:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read it in years but I must have missed the rapist part, who was it?

Edit - oh poo poo, I just remembered the tale of belgarath and the dryads. drat, eddings did have some hosed up views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I haven't read it in years but I must have missed the rapist part, who was it?

Barak. When the gang departs Viking land, his wife talks about how she does her 'wifely duty,' even when Barak breaks down her locked bedroom door and forces her. She's his wife and will do her 'duty' no matter how brutal he may be at the time, as she puts it.

No one comments that uh, Barak, buddy, you raped your wife. Instead because the rape produced a son it's treated as a magical thing that fixes everything between them.