Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Julien Baker released two singles that were physical only for a bit. I very much enjoyed Tokyo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0mVT6b7Os8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Nail Rat posted:

On topic, I kind of like Gold on the Ceiling, even if it is overplayed. But it's got not much besides a catchy hook so I can see why it'd be disliked. It's designed to be a catchy single a la a lot of lovely pop songs.

I think "not much besides a catchy sound" describes many Black Keys songs. I do not say that as negative criticism, either. It's just... kind of their thing.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Slandible posted:

Julien Baker released two singles that were physical only for a bit. I very much enjoyed Tokyo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0mVT6b7Os8

God I love her music so much. I hope she's doing alright with her medical issues :ohdear:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Sophomore album Asylum from A R I Z O N A is out now. It's a bit of a let down. Which is a shame considering how good their first album was.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the 4 remixes (of a band called Oh Land I'm not familiar with) on this ep are all brilliant, each and every one. can't get over how good Arthur Moon is. if you haven't checked them out on my various previous recommendations in this thread, these remixes in particular lean more towards a phantogram/purity ring x house sound than their actual album does - though those influences are definitely there on the album. it's cool to see their obvious melodic skill translate over to more poppy pop music in these remixes (the first track excepted which is tbh probably the best one on the ep - drat does it go). The first song is only a couple minutes and no song's longer than 3 so it's a nice quick listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8_M5ldV1eM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpOZDgyH1LQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DK7cnWLqIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Io11KvE2g

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 14, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
new Battles album in the next few weeks so just a mindfuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

This is now 12 years old.

The gap between that album and now is the same as the gap between that album and Pulp's Different Class or Radiohead's The Bends.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Lid posted:

new Battles album in the next few weeks so just a mindfuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

This is now 12 years old.

The gap between that album and now is the same as the gap between that album and Pulp's Different Class or Radiohead's The Bends.

Is it bad that I only know this from LittleBigPlanet?

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Good to hear them back, Interpol used to use Battles's space to rehearse El Pintor (and I think S/T) but they mentioned for Marauder they were using the Yeah Yeah Yeahs's place. Made me think Battles might have given up the space, but maybe they were working themselves!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’ve been thinking a lot about David Berman lately. All of it, the suicide just after coming back to making music again, the stuff with his dad, it’s just so sad.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

101 posted:

Is it bad that I only know this from LittleBigPlanet?

I only heard them on MTV2's Subterranean and on public radio. So that makes three places to hear them for me. And that really is their only good song. I'm surprised they're still together.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Battles are great live. They jam the gently caress out. I saw em as a 3 piece like 8 years ago tho.

Also, the drummer was in 12 Rods so that's cool.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I’ve been thinking a lot about David Berman lately. All of it, the suicide just after coming back to making music again, the stuff with his dad, it’s just so sad.

silver jews and purple mountains have been in my heavy rotation since his passing, natural bridge and american water are pretty much perfect 10/10 albums imo, and the new one's up there as well. still stings, but hope his suffering subsided

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Battles are great live. They jam the gently caress out. I saw em as a 3 piece like 8 years ago tho.

Also, the drummer was in 12 Rods so that's cool.

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dupZVkeqVXk

Kramdar posted:

I only heard them on MTV2's Subterranean and on public radio. So that makes three places to hear them for me. And that really is their only good song. I'm surprised they're still together.

Mirrored, the entire thing, is an outstanding album and has aged amazingly

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Lid posted:

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dupZVkeqVXk

Mirrored, the entire thing, is an outstanding album and has aged amazingly

John Stanier was also in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aA5NxTujqg

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
The Pitchfork reader's poll album list is definitely better than theirs imo: https://pitchfork.com/features/article/2010s-readers-poll-results/

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Lol at 3 artists comprising the top 6 spots.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's... a pretty good list, actually.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Glad to see both Blackstar and an LCD Soundsystem album in the top 20. Obviously I don't agree with the whole list but it's a whole lot better than that other one.

...except Sprawl II as the best song off of The Suburbs? :psyduck: It's a good song but I personally wouldn't put it top five on that album.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 16, 2019

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Certainly better than the editor's list, at least this one acknowledges Swans. Dark Fantasy deserves its album position but man I can't agree that Monster is the 20th best track of the past decade.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Life of Pablo has no business on any top list.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like Charli XCX's "Track 10" but there are hella better songs by her - is this a case where the site's list may have influenced the reader's list? Maybe I'm just in the minority on preferring other tracks by her.

But also lol at those top six spots. Especially To Pimp a Butterfly. I'm struggling to think of an album that received such high praise and then fell off the face of the earth within weeks, if not days.

Also: "Hannah Hunt"? Not "Ya Hey"? A travesty.

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 16, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alec Eiffel posted:

But also lol at those top six spots. Especially To Pimp a Butterfly. I'm struggling to think of an album that received such high praise and then fell off the face of the earth within weeks, if not days.

Huh?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know anyone who was talking about it a month after its release and I work adjacent to a SoCal record store, so it's not like I'm in Wyoming. "Alright" got plays and "King Kunta" is a good song, but I don't know, man, it dropped off the cultural radar like Game of Thrones just did.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alec Eiffel posted:

I don't know anyone who was talking about it a month after its release and I work adjacent to a SoCal record store, so it's not like I'm in Wyoming. "Alright" got plays and "King Kunta" is a good song, but I don't know, man, it dropped off the cultural radar like Game of Thrones just did.

It's been at the top of every album list, features the unofficial anthem for BLM, won awards, got namedropped by the president, etc. I don't know what could be less ephemeral.

GoT is also incredibly popular and referenced by culture en masse. The last season made people mad but it's hardly "off the radar."

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Alec Eiffel posted:

is this a case where the site's list may have influenced the reader's list?

The reader's poll was taken before they released their lists.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

angrygodofjebus posted:

The reader's poll was taken before they released their lists.

Huh. There's some overlap (e.g. Charli XCX's "Track 10") that is crazy coincidental then.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

You’re high as gently caress that’s for sure

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Alec Eiffel posted:

Huh. There's some overlap (e.g. Charli XCX's "Track 10") that is crazy coincidental then.

Track 10 is pretty well regarded among the "reads Pitchfork" set as Charli's best song (even though her actual best songs are Boys, Gone and Boom Clap)

edit: the reason TPAB is getting so much love for lists like this is because it's important. Like, it's Kendrick so it's not bad by any means, but I personally think you're crazy if you'd rather listen to TPAB than drat. or especially Good Kid, Maad City

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 16, 2019

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Track 10 gets the honor deepdown because of it's placement on Pop 2. If it were anywhere else on the album, it wouldn't have had the same punch. Fans and critics rave about the production, it kind of encapsulates a good solo Charli track too. She's open about her autotune use, loves to deconstruct pop music with her friends and fellow PC Music gang. When you think the song is at its emotional peak by Charli's singing, it goes further and we get the crazy flute-y autotune that makes that track such a stand-out. It surprises when you think it can't gain more tension.

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 17, 2019

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
One of my friends made a playlist of "Top 25 songs from the 2010s by artists Pitchfork didn't represent in their top songs of the 2010s", which inspired me to do the same:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0xE4oPhZFsGVN9fa3EIHd3?si=rr2Qv39AQpKPCh3b5Fp90g

(These tracks aren't in any kind of order - recommend shuffling)

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

I'm seeing Incubus play Make Yourself all the way through tonight for its 20 year anniversary. Feel old as gently caress.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I'll officially feel old when Night Ripper hits its 20th anniversary since that was prime college party drinking music. Greg Gillis really needs to plan some kind of mid-life crisis tour celebrating that bygone era.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

resident posted:

I'll officially feel old when Night Ripper hits its 20th anniversary since that was prime college party drinking music. Greg Gillis really needs to plan some kind of mid-life crisis tour celebrating that bygone era.

Man, I miss Girl Talk. All three albums (Night Ripper to All Day) had regular rotation at my parties too.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

resident posted:

I saw him at the Congress Theater in Chicago a few years ago; it was a pretty good show.

I saw Kero Kero Bonito at the Vic last night and it was goddamn phenomenal. In the middle of their encore they started playing a cover of Down With the Sickness (she even made The Noise) and then launched into an insanely metal version of Trampoline. It was...disturbing. The pit was more raucous than at Against Me! for real.

And tonight is S-K yay october

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I first saw Girl Talk really shortly after he released Night Ripper. At that point music was still a side gig for him—I think he was a biomedical engineer, and performed on nights and weekends. Anyways, he was dressed normally, totally clean-shaven with short hair, and had no equipment besides some sort of Dell laptop; but he instantly proceeded to freak the gently caress out throughout his entire set, and the crowd was seriously into it.

the next time I saw him, he had transitioned into his current 60's Woodstock aesthetic and had all sorts of smoke machines and toilet paper guns. it was still a really good show, but some of the magic was gone ...

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i saw Girl Talk on the All Day tour and it is still the sweatiest ive ever been after a show. It was on a cold night and you could see a cloud of steam rising off of people as they walked out

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019

resident posted:

I'm kinda friends with him and I don't think you're going to see that for a while. Hate to the kill the dream, but he's at the opposite end of mid-life crisis though fortunately. Seems very happy :)

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Nothing made me feel time slipping away faster and also go LOL WHY more than Filter announcing a 20th anniversary tour for Title of Record. And they even remastered the album and are releasing it on vinyl. Like why would I buy that again. I loved it 19 years ago, but talk about forgettable and being lost to the moment of the pre-2000s start of radio-friendly, industrial-lite alt-rock wave that we got bombarded with back then. So many CDs that ended up lining the used sections of the Wherehouse and Amoeba, and eventually new copies filling the bargain bins of the Virgin Megastore.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Polo-Rican posted:

I first saw Girl Talk really shortly after he released Night Ripper. At that point music was still a side gig for him—I think he was a biomedical engineer, and performed on nights and weekends. Anyways, he was dressed normally, totally clean-shaven with short hair, and had no equipment besides some sort of Dell laptop; but he instantly proceeded to freak the gently caress out throughout his entire set, and the crowd was seriously into it.

I saw him in 2007 and it was one of the most memorable shows I've been to. He brought out a regular old laptop and taped it down onto a table on the stage. He introduced himself "hi I'm Greg and Girl Talk is my band, anybody want to come on stage and dance?" Then he proceeded to push buttons and get really sweaty as the entire place EXPLODED with people dancing.

Bonus points: one of the openers was Tay Zonday. I don't think the dude had ever performed live but a sizable portion of the crowd was really excited to see the meme guy sing the meme song, and his voice definitely sounds exactly the same as in the recordings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019

Kramdar posted:

Nothing made me feel time slipping away faster and also go LOL WHY more than Filter announcing a 20th anniversary tour for Title of Record. And they even remastered the album and are releasing it on vinyl. Like why would I buy that again. I loved it 19 years ago, but talk about forgettable and being lost to the moment of the pre-2000s start of radio-friendly, industrial-lite alt-rock wave that we got bombarded with back then. So many CDs that ended up lining the used sections of the Wherehouse and Amoeba, and eventually new copies filling the bargain bins of the Virgin Megastore.

People that like Filter? They did have a following before they had a few minor hits when the Gen X alt-rock hit big. A lot of those bands never broke up and just went on hiatuses (aka - had to get real jobs or had a family).

What I find great any of those bands that probably made out with the most money is Fastball. That "Bad Things" by Camila Cabillo and Machine Gun Kelly song took the melody line of "Little Things". That song was on mainstream KISS-FM stations non-stop.

Fastball got fairly listed as writers so they must have had a very surprising boon of royalties.

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 18, 2019