Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lone Goat posted:

what is with you people that refuse to show us the sideboard??

Maybe it's BO1, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

17650g added to the cost of next month kinda hurts but that's a lot better for the card styles than I was expecting

I was actually thinking about Taste of Death for Wishing in Fires since sack three + three foods is pretty back breaking if you just immediately eat the food.

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe it's BO1, man.
The point is people post decks and then don't show the full draft, which kinda stifles half the discussion

Kanfy just wanted to make some sweet dadjokes though

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
In BO1 you generally won't take sideboard cards anyway so showing it doesn't really add much to the discussion.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Spiderdrake posted:

The point is people post decks and then don't show the full draft, which kinda stifles half the discussion

Kanfy just wanted to make some sweet dadjokes though

It's more that I like to crop images down to just the relevant part when possible, and there isn't much of anything of relevancy there besides the Forever Young since as mentioned it's Bo1.

I started with Faerie Vandal and prodded at a Blue/Red Draw 2 deck but dropped that plan pretty quick when the Black knights started cropping up.

Incidentally I watched some MTGO drafts and it again made it hilariously apparent how hard the bots raredraft cards away to stop you from doing it. Like I already knew it but still, I'm sure all those Magic Mirrors, Happily Ever Afters, Irencrag Feats and Sorcerous Spyglasses that never appear past the first few picks are all core components for some grand Limited deck plan.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
So now I hit gold.

Feels pretty good after only playing for a short while.

This is my janky lifelink deck that is probably ages behind the current meta.
Beats up on mono red though. What should I change and add?
I really like getting my board back with GruesomeMenagerie after trading everything off.
Even better if I do it with an inspiring commander on the field at the same time.

3 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
10 Plains (ELD) 253
3 Vampire of the Dire Moon (M20) 120
4 Bloodthirsty Aerialist (M20) 91
2 Impassioned Orator (RNA) 12
1 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
10 Swamp (ELD) 261
4 Ajani's Pridemate (WAR) 4
3 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Angel of Vitality (M20) 4
1 Witch's Vengeance (ELD) 111
1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
3 Scoured Barrens (M20) 251
2 Inspiring Commander (ANA) 5
2 Ajani, Strength of the Pride (M20) 2
1 Foulmire Knight (ELD) 90
2 Gruesome Menagerie (GRN) 71
1 Legion's End (M20) 106

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Simone Poodoin posted:

This deck looks very fun, too bad I don't have enough rare WCs to try it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la8d_DJcHQs

I took a glance but can't listen to the video right now, what's the gameplan for defeating Golos with this? I get the Finality sweepers but the other stuff, you just cast for X=3 and hope to gain card advantage off Beast Whisperer and ping with Knight/Cruel Celebrant?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I took a glance but can't listen to the video right now, what's the gameplan for defeating Golos with this? I get the Finality sweepers but the other stuff, you just cast for X=3 and hope to gain card advantage off Beast Whisperer and ping with Knight/Cruel Celebrant?

You chain together casting creatures for Zero to get tons of Beast Whisper triggers and kill them with cruel celebrant triggers, it’s a combo deck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh lol I forgot that you could cast x=0

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

You chain together casting creatures for Zero to get tons of Beast Whisper triggers and kill them with cruel celebrant triggers, it’s a combo deck

Yeah I'm happy to see an honest to goodness combo deck.

Are there any infinite combo decks since the rotation?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Mogwai is more on the meme side of deck building. Dudes like him and ali gently caress up the ladder or event with jank and then you play it and because you aren't nearly as good a player you get hosed

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MRLOLAST posted:

So now I hit gold.

Feels pretty good after only playing for a short while.

This is my janky lifelink deck that is probably ages behind the current meta.
Beats up on mono red though. What should I change and add?
I really like getting my board back with GruesomeMenagerie after trading everything off.
Even better if I do it with an inspiring commander on the field at the same time.

3 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
10 Plains (ELD) 253
3 Vampire of the Dire Moon (M20) 120
4 Bloodthirsty Aerialist (M20) 91
2 Impassioned Orator (RNA) 12
1 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
10 Swamp (ELD) 261
4 Ajani's Pridemate (WAR) 4
3 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Angel of Vitality (M20) 4
1 Witch's Vengeance (ELD) 111
1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
3 Scoured Barrens (M20) 251
2 Inspiring Commander (ANA) 5
2 Ajani, Strength of the Pride (M20) 2
1 Foulmire Knight (ELD) 90
2 Gruesome Menagerie (GRN) 71
1 Legion's End (M20) 106

Don't have anything to add right now but if you can cobble together some jank and get to gold as a new player that's really good. Just keep working on your pet deck because being off meta is a big advantage on a ladder where people are expecting to play against established archetypes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I'm happy to see an honest to goodness combo deck.

Are there any infinite combo decks since the rotation?
Ral expansion hasnt gone anywhere!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
man Kai looks OLD

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Is it a known bug that attacking with two lifelinkers (where neither have first or double strike) gives two triggers to pridemate? I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gonadic io posted:

Is it a known bug that attacking with two lifelinkers (where neither have first or double strike) gives two triggers to pridemate? I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen

That's not a bug. Each time they deal damage a life gain effect happens for you. Because it's two creatures, they're two separate life gain effects, which triggers Ajani's Pridemate twice.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Arivia posted:

That's not a bug. Each time they deal damage a life gain effect happens for you. Because it's two creatures, they're two separate life gain effects, which triggers Ajani's Pridemate twice.

quote:

5/3/2019 Each creature with lifelink dealing combat damage causes a separate life-gaining event. For example, if two creatures you control with lifelink deal combat damage at the same time, Ajani’s Pridemate’s ability will trigger twice. However, if a single creature you control with lifelink deals combat damage to multiple creatures, players, and/or planeswalkers at the same time (perhaps because it has trample or was blocked by more than one creature), the ability will trigger only once.

Huh, I don't know how I've been playing for years and never seen that before.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/bryango/status/1185307043034357760?s=21

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1185231264703320066?s=21

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 18, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I just crafted four Okos.

If it gets banned, I get the wildcards back, so I basically got them for free for Historic or Brawl or whatever. If it doesn't, I'm gonna need them to play the clear best deck...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endorse

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh lol I forgot that you could cast x=0

Yep, get a bunch of creatures that you can cast for x=0 and hope to draw more of them and to be able to put them back into your library

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So uh, who's winning? What's the best deck that's not getting banned?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Well we move from midrange hell to also midrange hell, in which some variant of fires battles Simic Food for dominance of slugfest metagame.

Or maybe Fields is holding something really wild down.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Ban field of the dead, breeding pool

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Spiderdrake posted:

Or maybe Fields is holding something really wild down.

My enjoyment of the game?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My boi Kanister on B/G Adventures lost to Bant Food, so the top is going to be like 7x Hydroid Krasis decks and Mardu Dino-Blade, which is honestly a loving sweet deck

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

so I think I might be on to something with some of the 2nd draw cards in Temur. I'm basically playing Temur Rec without Reclamation because Teferi is a card that exists. Instead I just ramp until Nissa + Explosion is lethal. Irencrag Pyromancers help hold the board down/get in some chip damage and trigger every time I cast a Growth Spiral on my turn, a Krasis on my turn, or a Chemister's Insight on my opponent's turn. Improbable Alliance gives me a bunch of chump blockers while being harder to remove than Saheeli and also having a useful activated ability. Risen Reef are there for ramp/draw/chump block purposes and 2 maindeck Mystical Dispute because of course. Cavalier of Gales also procs my draw effects and is a good card as well! also Opt is a card because I wasn't sure if I wanted 4x maindeck mystical dispute or some number of lava coils or shocks or something.

3 Irencrag Pyromancer (ELD) 128
3 Forest (ANA) 65
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
4 Mountain (ANA) 64
3 Island (ANA) 62
3 Improbable Alliance (ELD) 193
4 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Opt (XLN) 65
2 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
3 Expansion // Explosion (GRN) 224
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
3 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
2 Cavalier of Gales (M20) 52
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
2 Temple of Epiphany (M20) 253
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244

2 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
3 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
1 Negate (M20) 69
3 Aether Gust (M20) 42
3 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165

The numbers for everything still need work, and I just straight up copied the sideboard from a simic ramp deck. Probably could use a couple Fry. I think this deck might have that good Temur Rec flavor without being as crippled by Teferi as Temur Rec.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So help me if they surprise ban Krasis and ruin my hydra tribal deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe it's BO1, man.

Oceanbound posted:

In BO1 you generally won't take sideboard cards anyway so showing it doesn't really add much to the discussion.

lmao at both of this

if you're going to discuss a limited deck, you have to talk about the entire card pool. it's like jazz, you have to listen to the notes cards they're NOT playing.

Kanfy posted:

It's more that I like to crop images down to just the relevant part when possible, and there isn't much of anything of relevancy there besides the Forever Young since as mentioned it's Bo1.

I started with Faerie Vandal and prodded at a Blue/Red Draw 2 deck but dropped that plan pretty quick when the Black knights started cropping up.

Incidentally I watched some MTGO drafts and it again made it hilariously apparent how hard the bots raredraft cards away to stop you from doing it. Like I already knew it but still, I'm sure all those Magic Mirrors, Happily Ever Afters, Irencrag Feats and Sorcerous Spyglasses that never appear past the first few picks are all core components for some grand Limited deck plan.

how was Weapon Rack? this is an aggro deck but turning a x/1 into a x/2 isn't that relevant if it's being blocked, and you're not even playing your best weapon holder (Gingerbrute).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Lone Goat posted:

how was Weapon Rack? this is an aggro deck but turning a x/1 into a x/2 isn't that relevant if it's being blocked, and you're not even playing your best weapon holder (Gingerbrute).

Haven't played it yet, waiting for tomorrow's daily reset. Overall I've found Weapon Rack to be mediocre filler but not useless, creatures are small so even minor boosts can have a board impact, the target dying in response to it being targeted doesn't waste the counter, and it can sometimes put a creature out of Reave Soul or Garenbrig Paladin range which isn't irrelevant considering they're pretty common.

I mostly put it in there to beef up defenses a bit, it's an "aggro" deck but the way I see it is that between 6 Swordmasters and 3 Trebuchets in a deck with 14 total Knights, Konrad, a Clover and Forever Young, actually physically smacking the other guy is more of a welcome bonus rather than a strict necessity. :v: At least in theory accumulating as many knights on board for increasingly high drain amounts is a higher priority than going in for damage and losing them in trades early on.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Cheen posted:

Which planeswalkers gently caress

A Moose posted:

none of them, but somehow jace fucks the least of all

I beg to differ :colbert:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Not like this Mardu Knights :'(

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

turboraton posted:

Not like this Mardu Knights :'(

anyone who tells you their deck "crushes golos" is a liar

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah watching Golos just effortlessly 2-0 both decks seemingly custom tailored to beating it really highlight that whatever other issues you have, Field of the Dead is simply too strong for Standard.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I wouldn't say effortlessly, he got massive top decks. The other two decks (bant ramp) that were designed against Golos are also doing fine.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

*Me, finishing 2-3* "I should probably stop trying to make draft "draw 2nd card" izzet decks work

*Slam picks that P1P1 Irencrag Pyromancer*

e: :getin:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 19, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Field of the Dead wasn't too strong for standard when it had answers at the one, two, and three mana points.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Field of the Dead wasn't too strong for standard when it had answers at the one, two, and three mana points.

not defending FOTD's status in the current meta but Assassin's Trophy is still in Standard

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Honestly I've been having insane success with aggro gruul whooping on Golos and it feels like banning Fields of the Dead early isn't healthy and will set a precedent for future early bans. I didn't realize how much this deck absolutely wrecks Golos and I'm wondering why more people aren't running it to completely shift the meta.

Only change I want to see is an errata on Krasis that forces it to be successfully cast before granting the life gain and cards.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Doltos posted:

Honestly I've been having insane success with aggro gruul whooping on Golos and it feels like banning Fields of the Dead early isn't healthy and will set a precedent for future early bans. I didn't realize how much this deck absolutely wrecks Golos and I'm wondering why more people aren't running it to completely shift the meta.

Only change I want to see is an errata on Krasis that forces it to be successfully cast before granting the life gain and cards.

I can't even tell if the :ironicat: is intended or not here.

But talk about unhealthy precedents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you want a good example of why Gruul did not shift the meta you should watch the vod of Javier Dominguez just getting utterly shamed by a Bant Golos list at MC this morning.

If you don’t draw perfectly while also being on the play or just have infinite Questing Beast/Hellkite post wrath you can easily just get outvalued