Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

We will probably get some kind of visual effect to make it more apparent when channelers are doing their thing (maybe a visible aura or something akin to Moiraine's glowing jewel) and more overt physical cues to go with whatever magic thing is happening, because yeah no one wants to watch people just stare at each other when there's supposed to be *~magic~* happening. Most of Rand's duels with Forsaken are basically "stuff happening or blowing up nearby while trying to cut each other off from the Source" so they definitely have to find ways to make it more engaging and emphasize the contest of wills part.

Sure, there're plenty of descriptions in the books of the threads of different elements being woven together and cut that you could show as threads of different colored light, I'm just saying that the fact that most magic doesn't actually do anything physical in WoT kind of lends itself to a lower budget or at least being able to focus the budget where you want and have things happen off screen or maybe someone runs by and Nynaeve and Mogheiden are staring at each other or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t think the fireballs and stuff will be hard. I think the constant squinting with elemental magic weaving that only certain people can see will be hard.

Dr. Strange showed that you can do "magical weaves" and spell slinging in a very visually cool and compelling way. I'd guess WoT will borrow generously from it for a lot of the magical duel type stuff.

A fireball is, indeed, just a fireball.

e: no they have to keep the Sea Folk for the boobs.

How are u fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 18, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gateways should be interesting.

e: Especially the Sanderson ones where you're like dropping sugarcubes into someone else's tea or making a Google Earth map view and stuff

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

M. Night Skymall posted:

Sure, there're plenty of descriptions in the books of the threads of different elements being woven together and cut that you could show as threads of different colored light, I'm just saying that the fact that most magic doesn't actually do anything physical in WoT kind of lends itself to a lower budget or at least being able to focus the budget where you want and have things happen off screen or maybe someone runs by and Nynaeve and Mogheiden are staring at each other or something.

Using weaves of air to bind people up could be very "Gandalf v Sauramon"-esque. You just hook someone up to a wire and point a fan at them. It's really not hard.

Using weaves to heal people will be extremely obvious as you just CGI wounds away.

As far as weaves being invisible to some people, that's what exposition is for. You explain to the audience, and then make it very clear who can and cannot see these things... Or you scrap this detail entirely and write around it.

Compulsion would be the biggest "problem" and even that... you could simply rework it to X character does some voodoo weaves out of sight of the 'victim'. Like there are a million ways to work around all of this with only an ounce of some "creative freedoms". Y'all expecting 1:1 accuracy to the books and that's just not going to happen no matter what series you're talking about.

e; ^ Gateways will be easy to do, assuming by "interesting" you meant "complex/difficult". Go play Portal. It's basically just that :v:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Deathgates :black101:.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

once the anime is popular enough they'll make live action movies of the anime seasons.

i could do without the bubbles of evil. don't recall them doing much plot wise other then killing an aux character

There was the town that May used as a weapon in the final battle, does that count?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There better be some fuckin dark hounds and grolm. I’d assume raken are a given.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hopefully they have elephants too, unlike GoT :colbert:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Better be a shitload of braid pulling otherwise what the gently caress is the point?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Better be a shitload of braid pulling otherwise what the gently caress is the point?

Nynaeve's hair is 100% braids so the casting is very on point for this.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
The advantage of a visual medium is that you can have just non-stop braid pulling action going on while also doing other stuff. A bit like showing tits in GoT, really.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Syncopated posted:

The advantage of a visual medium is that you can have just non-stop braid pulling action going on while also doing other stuff. A bit like showing tits in GoT, really.

It always bugged me though, I've never seen anyone do that in real life. Pulling your hair must hurt like a motherfucker, and she does it constantly.

I'm just hoping for a background tapestry that looks suspiciously like that gif of the entire plot of WoT, with Nynaeve and Egwene tugging braids and smoothing dresses, then Rand runs by in the background with his hair on fire and Mat runs by screaming about dice. Give away the whole plot in the first episode or two just for shits and giggles.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Kind of concerned that the first episode apparently ends with the gang on the run already so we probably don't have much time for a flashback prologue chapter of Lews Therin and Dragonmount, T B Q H

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Are you basing that off the 1 photo that was posted on the other page and assuming that's the first episode they're filming? Or did they actually confirm what the first episode is like.

I assume it's the former, in which case stuff is virtually never filmed chronologically.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

Are you basing that off the 1 photo that was posted on the other page and assuming that's the first episode they're filming? Or did they actually confirm what the first episode is like.

I assume it's the former, in which case stuff is virtually never filmed chronologically.

They did a table read of the first eps and tweeted a video of the cast reading the end of ep1, and it's basically the superkids, Moraine, Lan, etc., heading off into the wild.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

It will probably make it in there somewhere, it's too strong to just cut. My guess would be that it'll be the open for whatever episode it is where they reach the Eye, to parallel the connection to the War of the Shadow stuff.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
There's been the suggestion that the show is told more from Moiraine's perspective as well, so that gives them a lot of liberty as far as how much time to spend on anything during the bits that were all Rand's perspective in the first book.

Also, they can just pay someone probably $100 to get the rights to this authoritative take on the prologue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUQE0-G_GeU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That would be weird since she’s gone for large chunks of plot.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's not out of line with Jordan's style. The first book is just Rand's POV until the party splits at Aridhol. I remember that first change being pretty jarring haha.

Also, if Moiraine is more of a primary POV character her eventual disappearance will have even more of an oomph. More Red Wedding than Ned's dead.

How are u fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 18, 2019

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I get that but she’s physically not part of huge swathes of the story. Unless they just go by hearsay like they do in the books. That’s one of the things I appreciate even if it’s frustrating for me. Nobody knows poo poo unless they actually did it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The prologue would be like 5-7 min of screen time, tops.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

That would be weird since she’s gone for large chunks of plot.

Why does this matter? She's critical for the first half of the story. No one is suggesting to literally make her the sole POV of the story. Characters are too split for anything like that even in parts of TEOTW and especially by TGH.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Prologue would be like two minutes of CGI and probably involve none of the main cast actors. I'd be Amazed if they skipped putting it right at the start. it's the perfect opener because it's so obviously the end of a huge story.

Honestly though the whole first book is extremely film-ready and they'd be dumb as hell if they cut any significant parts of it. Maybe some of the Caemlyn Road bits could go. Maybe they could take the Ways straight to the Blight and skip Fal Dara.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Book one has a lot of stuff that takes up a bunch of text but would go really quick on the screen. 2 and 3 aren’t like that at all though. Assuming 10 episodes in season 1, you can probably get all of book one and part of book two.

1 -Leaving Emond Field

Introduce Everyone
Trollocs Attack
Moraine convinces them all to leave

2 - Baerlon

They get to Baerlon
Introduce Min and Thom
Nynaeve catches up to them
Mat fucks with the Whitecloaks and They flee Baerlon

3 - Shadar Logath

They get attacked by Trollocs and flee to Shadar Logath
Good time for some back story
Everyone one splits up on escape

4 - Side adventures

Perrin meets Elyas and kills Whitecloaks
Nynaeve learns about the power
Matt, Rand, and Thom arrive in Caemlyn

5 - Caemlyn

Rand’s Garden Shenanigans
Everyone meets up
They enter the ways

6 -The Ways and Shienar

The ways
Fain is captured
Lots of exposition and backstory

7 - Entering the Blight
They leave Fal Data and enter the blight
Lan backstory about Malkier
They arrive at the eye of the world

8 - The Eye of the World
Green Man
The Forsaken appear
Rand v Ba’alzamon

9 - The Return
They wrap up the eye of the world
Pull forward the first part of book two
End the episode with someone freeing Fain

10 - The Horn is stolen
Trollocs attack Fal Dara
The horn is stolen
Mat falls sick from the dagger
Rand goes before Siuan and him being the Dragon Reborn is revealed.

Season Two can then start off weeks later with the girls already at the Tower and the boys hunting for the horn. Two and Three have a lot of pretty essential content so I don’t see then being simplified much. You might be able to squeeze 4-6 into 2 seasons. 7-10 can probably be 2 seasons as well. Then 2-3 seasons to wrap up everything. So 10 seasons probably?

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 19, 2019

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Prologue would be like two minutes of CGI and probably involve none of the main cast actors. I'd be Amazed if they skipped putting it right at the start. it's the perfect opener because it's so obviously the end of a huge story.

Honestly though the whole first book is extremely film-ready and they'd be dumb as hell if they cut any significant parts of it. Maybe some of the Caemlyn Road bits could go. Maybe they could take the Ways straight to the Blight and skip Fal Dara.

The prologue is important because it's a signal to the reader/viewer that the Tolkienesque trappings of opening are leading to something different. Otherwise you are going to lose people with all the farmboy stuff.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Lawlicaust posted:

Book one has a lot of stuff that takes up a bunch of text but would go really quick on the screen. 2 and 3 aren’t like that at all though. Assuming 10 episodes in season 1, you can probably get all of book one and part of book two.

1 -Leaving Emond Field

Introduce Everyone
Trollocs Attack
Moraine convinces them all to leave

2 - Baerlon

They get to Baerlon
Introduce Min and Thom
Nynaeve catches up to them
Mat fucks with the Whitecloaks and They flee Baerlon

3 - Shadar Logath

They get attacked by Trollocs and flee to Shadar Logath
Good time for some back story
Everyone one splits up on escape

4 - Side adventures

Perrin meets Elyas and kills Whitecloaks
Nynaeve learns about the power
Matt, Rand, and Thom arrive in Caemlyn

5 - Caemlyn

Rand’s Garden Shenanigans
Everyone meets up
They enter the ways

6 -The Ways and Shienar

The ways
Fain is captured
Lots of exposition and backstory

7 - Entering the Blight
They leave Fal Data and enter the blight
Lan backstory about Malkier
They arrive at the eye of the world

8 - The Eye of the World
Green Man
The Forsaken appear
Rand v Ba’alzamon

9 - The Return
They wrap up the eye of the world
Pull forward the first part of book two
End the episode with someone freeing Fain

10 - The Horn is stolen
Trollocs attack Fal Dara
The horn is stolen
Mat falls sick from the dagger
Rand goes before Siuan and him being the Dragon Reborn is revealed.

Season Two can then start off weeks later with the girls already at the Tower and the boys hunting for the horn. Two and Three have a lot of pretty essential content so I don’t see then being simplified much. You might be able to squeeze 4-6 into 2 seasons. 7-10 can probably be 2 seasons as well. Then 2-3 seasons to wrap up everything. So 10 seasons probably?

I really like this. I kind of wish more shows would do the whole conclusion + setup for the next season thing rather than ending on cliffhangers. I know some shows have done that, and I appreciate it, but it seems few and far betwee..

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

Book one has a lot of stuff that takes up a bunch of text but would go really quick on the screen. 2 and 3 aren’t like that at all though. Assuming 10 episodes in season 1, you can probably get all of book one and part of book two

Some won't go quicker, mainly because there's a ton of needed exposition in EOTW that won't go quicker in visual form. And the metaphysics of the world actually matter, the audience needs to understand a bunch of concepts for most of the plot to work. Like the 2nd to the last chapter of the book is basically just there for Moiraine to explain what the hell is going on.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

I get that but she’s physically not part of huge swathes of the story. Unless they just go by hearsay like they do in the books. That’s one of the things I appreciate even if it’s frustrating for me. Nobody knows poo poo unless they actually did it.

I agree that it would be weird later on, but I think it would work OK for the first season.

Also, some of this buzz may be hearsay based solely on the fame of the actors being cast - Rosamund Pike is a big deal so there's a presumption they're going to use her as such.

I mean, she probably costs more than the the 5 kids put together, so you'd hope they're gonna take advantage of her chops.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I'm imagining them using some big name actor for Lews Therin. Then throughout the show having his voice acting giving an inner look into Rand's madness. Sort of like how Mr Robot handles aspects of it's protagonists psyche.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i love the audiobooks. but man, in the first book, they're all over the place. pronouncing loial differently in the same paragraph etc.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It really makes me nervous when they say stuff like 'we're going to focus the story on Moriane more.' Please don't gently caress this up, random Survivor Alumni dude.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

The Lord Bude posted:

It really makes me nervous when they say stuff like 'we're going to focus the story on Moriane more.' Please don't gently caress this up, random Survivor Alumni dude.

but they posted lots of pictures of dogeared copies of Eye of the World!!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Brolander posted:

i love the audiobooks. but man, in the first book, they're all over the place. pronouncing loial differently in the same paragraph etc.

The one that pisses me off the most is “burr-gee-tuh” vs “beer-git-tuh.” gently caress that second pronunciation is awful.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The one that pisses me off the most is “burr-gee-tuh” vs “beer-git-tuh.” gently caress that second pronunciation is awful.

The second pronunciation is a lot closer to it's Scandinavian roots though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

seaborgium posted:

It always bugged me though, I've never seen anyone do that in real life. Pulling your hair must hurt like a motherfucker, and she does it constantly.

I'm just hoping for a background tapestry that looks suspiciously like that gif of the entire plot of WoT, with Nynaeve and Egwene tugging braids and smoothing dresses, then Rand runs by in the background with his hair on fire and Mat runs by screaming about dice. Give away the whole plot in the first episode or two just for shits and giggles.

I read it more as stroking, like playing with her hair more than as a yanking motion

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DarkHorse posted:

I read it more as stroking, like playing with her hair more than as a yanking motion

I would think so too, but a couple of times it's mentioned that another character thinks she might just yank her whole braid out because she's so upset and doing it so hard. Anxiously smoothing out your clothes makes sense to me, but pulling your own hair that hard is just weird.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Some organs can be tugged and hair is among them

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

seaborgium posted:

I would think so too, but a couple of times it's mentioned that another character thinks she might just yank her whole braid out because she's so upset and doing it so hard. Anxiously smoothing out your clothes makes sense to me, but pulling your own hair that hard is just weird.

I always assumed it played into her block, since she could only channel when pissed off, so she subconsciously developed habits to keep her angrier

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Don’t kink shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
"so angry you're pulling your hair out" is a phrase and over a few million words a tic can become extremely repetitive