Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Hot take: it's fine to go see some silly band that you loved as a kid.

Why yes, I do in fact have email alerts set up in case The Offspring or MxPx announce a show near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I saw Filter once. I had stayed up all night the night before for an unrelated reason, so I took a nap before the show and overslept. I stumbled in an hour late just in time for them to play Hey Man, Nice Shot which was very funny

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I saw him in 2007 and it was one of the most memorable shows I've been to. He brought out a regular old laptop and taped it down onto a table on the stage. He introduced himself "hi I'm Greg and Girl Talk is my band, anybody want to come on stage and dance?" Then he proceeded to push buttons and get really sweaty as the entire place EXPLODED with people dancing.

Bonus points: one of the openers was Tay Zonday. I don't think the dude had ever performed live but a sizable portion of the crowd was really excited to see the meme guy sing the meme song, and his voice definitely sounds exactly the same as in the recordings.

I was at that show! As a freshman in college!

It was great. Dan Deacon was also on the line-up and loving rocked. I got pics w everyone that night! Still a great memory. I then proceeded to go to Maplewood, get drunk, power sleep, and go to a work meeting before having to go in for a shift.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Hot take: it's fine to go see some silly band that you loved as a kid.

Why yes, I do in fact have email alerts set up in case The Offspring or MxPx announce a show near me.

Should have gone to the 311/Offspring show at the State Fair last year.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Solomon Gumball posted:

I'm kinda friends with him and I don't think you're going to see that for a while. Hate to the kill the dream, but he's at the opposite end of mid-life crisis though fortunately. Seems very happy :)

He’s always been an inspiration to me, an engineer that deep down wants to do literally anything else. Unfortunately I haven’t yet found a hobby that will pay the bills. I’ll never forget when he threw some Radiohead into his Iowa City 2006-2007ish set after I asked him to. I think it was the first show I got drunk for after turning 21, and Dan Deacon opened with his trippy green skull stuff. Good, sweaty times.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

I saw Filter once. I had stayed up all night the night before for an unrelated reason, so I took a nap before the show and overslept. I stumbled in an hour late just in time for them to play Hey Man, Nice Shot which was very funny

Hey Man, Nice Nap

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Alec Eiffel posted:

Man, I miss Girl Talk. All three albums (Night Ripper to All Day) had regular rotation at my parties too.

whenever i play any of his albums in the presence of people who are even just like, 5 years younger than I am they're just like "what the gently caress is this?", its definitely one of those things that had a very finite era (which is a sad thing because full album mixes like that are perfect for ADD internet kids like me)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

It was great. Dan Deacon was also on the line-up and loving rocked. I got pics w everyone that night! Still a great memory. I then proceeded to go to Maplewood, get drunk, power sleep, and go to a work meeting before having to go in for a shift.

If I remember right, Dan Deacon played all his songs off of an iPod Shuffle, which complicated things because sometimes he had to keep hitting "next track" a few times to get the right song to play. He also had like, a scepter. It was a rod on top of which there was a plastic skull, and the plastic skull emitted colorful light through its eye holes and such. He waved the skull around as he danced in the pit in the middle of everybody.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If I remember right, Dan Deacon played all his songs off of an iPod Shuffle, which complicated things because sometimes he had to keep hitting "next track" a few times to get the right song to play. He also had like, a scepter. It was a rod on top of which there was a plastic skull, and the plastic skull emitted colorful light through its eye holes and such. He waved the skull around as he danced in the pit in the middle of everybody.

I seem to remember some internet drama when the skull got stolen during/after a show and he wanted it back no questions asked.

Dan Deacon is an amazing live shows these days. Instead of being in the center of a sweaty mosh, he’s a dance facilitator from the stage giving the crowd outrageous instructions to see how much he can get them to throw caution to the wind and shake it out.

resident fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 19, 2019

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
It was a finite era because it was hellous clearing all the samples or reworking a song when you can't get clearance. From the artist to the label, it was difficult and you often had to wait. Annoying to wait on someone or label to finally clear something for a very long time when you've got a essentially a final product.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Nobody ever cleared samples for their silly mashup albums. And none of the sampled artists ever sued because music industry lawyers are terrified of losing and ending up with a court ruling that widens the fair-use exceptions for sampling.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Girl Talk's Night Ripper was pretty good. There were some songs sampled that I had never heard of at that point, and when I have heard them after, I keep thinking the next sample is going to come next.

I also like the Readers Poll from Pitchfork. I am surprised that Tame Impala is thought of so highly. I also feel like the only person who preferred Channel Orange over Blonde, even if it is a slight preference.

resident posted:

Life of Pablo has no business on any top list.

This is the weirdest inclusion on the list.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
The first track that I heard of Tame Impala just gave me Airwolf intro flashbacks. I would’ve never guess their Australian based on the Similarities. But I’m sure Airwolf air down in Australia.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Twin Cinema posted:

Girl Talk's Night Ripper was pretty good. There were some songs sampled that I had never heard of at that point, and when I have heard them after, I keep thinking the next sample is going to come next.

I also like the Readers Poll from Pitchfork. I am surprised that Tame Impala is thought of so highly. I also feel like the only person who preferred Channel Orange over Blonde, even if it is a slight preference.

This is the weirdest inclusion on the list.

Nah, channel orange is definitely better. Stay strong

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Nobody ever cleared samples for their silly mashup albums. And none of the sampled artists ever sued because music industry lawyers are terrified of losing and ending up with a court ruling that widens the fair-use exceptions for sampling.

That's not how it works. It's a business in the end. Gregg's a different and unique story. Illegal Art (his label) was about 5 people running it and handling all distribution because no other one would touch it fearing suits. I don't even think the label incorporated, lasted a very short time, with very limted number of releases. The label's on hiatus but their site's up and everything.

Gregg argued he was just using samples to create entire new compositions, so they didn't need to be cleared. Legally he's not right but that's how he saw it. The last proper Girl Talk release was free and released online. Same before, all his albums were free as mp3s online, I believe all of his releases are under some Creative Commons too.

Sample-heavy labels likes Stones Throw, definitely gets sample clearances. Madlib, Dilla, Avalanches, any song that uses a sample must be cleared if they're on a legitimate label. Other labels couldn't replicate what Illegal Art was doing without a ton of work clearning samples or fearing how many of those people come for royalties and for how much and also how to distribute it through labels abroad. Double Dee & Steinski were also one of the few other very few artists on Illegal Art and they would consciously choose samples and steer away from blantantly obvious samples from big labels. They were aware of the danger of being sued big.

A song can use one sample sometimes and take nearly all the profits from it. For some reason, I'm thinking of the comedy one-off hit Harry Enfield's 'Loadsamoney' sampled ABBA for 3 seconds. ABBA got 80% of all royalties for the song. Sometimes a song will have 2 samples only and the 2 owners will request 80% each. You can't release something at -160% profit. You can negotiate a lower royalty to just get it out, rework it without the sample, or it gets shelved.

But in the case of crate diggers like DJ Shadow, Dilla, and the like -- they try to clear the samples the best they can or work out some deal with whoever owns the rights. There's been plenty of times people have come back to get royalties when an artist samples someone very obscure or samples a bootleg. The label will make every effort to find who owns the rights and if they can't, then they gauge whether to rework it or just release it and see it the person comes out.

Gregg's a special case, Illegal Art's a special case. That's why it was lasted a short time. He can definitely go around with new music to play party concerts, but like I said, he's past that point in his life and never wanted that really.

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 19, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Solomon Gumball posted:

That's not how it works. It's a business in the end. Gregg's a different and unique story. Illegal Art (his label) was about 5 people running it and handling all distribution because no other one would touch it fearing suits. I don't even think the label incorporated, lasted a very short time, with very limted number of releases. The label's on hiatus but their site's up and everything.

Gregg argued he was just using samples to create entire new compositions, so they didn't need to be cleared. Legally he's not right but that's how he saw it. The last proper Girl Talk release was free and released online. Same before, all his albums were free as mp3s online, I believe all of his releases are under some Creative Commons too.

Sample-heavy labels likes Stones Throw, definitely gets sample clearances. Madlib, Dilla, Avalanches, any song that uses a sample must be cleared if they're on a legitimate label. Other labels couldn't replicate what Illegal Art was doing without a ton of work clearning samples or fearing how many of those people come for royalties and for how much and also how to distribute it through labels abroad. Double Dee & Steinski were also one of the few other very few artists on Illegal Art and they would consciously choose samples and steer away from blantantly obvious samples from big labels. They were aware of the danger of being sued big.

A song can use one sample sometimes and take nearly all the profits from it. For some reason, I'm thinking of the comedy one-off hit Harry Enfield's 'Loadsamoney' sampled ABBA for 3 seconds. ABBA got 80% of all royalties for the song. Sometimes a song will have 2 samples only and the 2 owners will request 80% each. You can't release something at -160% profit. You can negotiate a lower royalty to just get it out, rework it without the sample, or it gets shelved.

But in the case of crate diggers like DJ Shadow, Dilla, and the like -- they try to clear the samples the best they can or work out some deal with whoever owns the rights. There's been plenty of times people have come back to get royalties when an artist samples someone very obscure or samples a bootleg. The label will make every effort to find who owns the rights and if they can't, then they gauge whether to rework it or just release it and see it the person comes out.

Gregg's a special case, Illegal Art's a special case. That's why it was lasted a short time. He can definitely go around with new music to play party concerts, but like I said, he's past that point in his life and never wanted that really.

do you know how Night Ripper and Feed the Animals ended up on Spotify? (Night Ripper is on Apple Music too) Did the label just say "hey put these up here" and Apple/Spotify just said "oh yeah sure" under the assumption that if no one tried to stop those albums when they came out they're not gonna care now?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
They literally don't know and they literally don't care.

If someone files a complaint, they'll take it down, but they're not going to go through the work of checking to see that you cleared all the samples. That's not their job.

https://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/201...bootlegs-1.html

Here's an article where people are uploading music they don't own.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 19, 2019

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I never cared for Girl Talk and the name today is unfortunate but seemed fine at the time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
mewithoutYou are calling it quits next year. Bummer but at least they’re going out on their own terms.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have gotten Hot Chip and Girl Talk mixed up for going on a decade and a half now.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Nah, channel orange is definitely better. Stay strong

daps

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Okay, so maybe I've been hard on rock releases this year including indie rock but Birthday from Pom Poko was an incredible release. My appreciation of rock, indie rock, and indie music in general goes up each time I listen to this album.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

I caught like 5-10 min of Yeule at Electronicon 2 this weekend. She had a pretty heavy goth noise set, but her recorded stuff is way more ethereal and sits somewhere between Alice Glass and Purity Ring. Her debut LP is out later this week and already has a few very good singles from it.

Pixel Affection - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arfse3z5YzQ
Poison Arrow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjjMoG4-s28

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Frank oceans new song is not great. But the justice remix of his new song is extremely good. I’m linking it because it’s the right thing to do.

https://youtu.be/j4QnB-AK3Kk

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I saw Girl Talk at an electronic music festival where he came out dressed up as Troy Polamalu (Steelers football player). He played for ten minutes, had people hand out Arby’s sandwiches to everyone, and sampled alanis morisette’s “you oughta know” the whole time on the oldest function laptop I’d ever seen. It was awesome.

Filter doing that tour isn’t too surprising. There’s a venue by me that seems to cater to old bands that were big in the 80s and 90s who still tour without being really big. They were going to play there. Lit was there. Stuff like White snake and and Night Ranger. A million tribute bands. And it always sells out. It’s not a huge venue, but it isn’t exactly small. There’s just a ton of room for nostalgia of that era and money to be made.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, I recently saw Nitzer Ebb which I was very happy about, but then again Chicago apparently does some sort of a multi-day industrial festival every year.

I've got my fingers crossed for Machines of Loving Grace next year.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Destroyer, my favorite pretentious yelping indie boy, has a new track. New album drops late january.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mFTgJQtCPk

The track is good... but! It's nearly identical to his 2009 track Bay of Pigs... and Bay of Pigs is a lot better imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlj9dqy3_68

It's frustrating when a band you like releases a song which, by itself is really good; but you have no urge to listen to it because they have old stuff that's similar but better!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 23, 2019

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Pitchfork did their favorite videos of the parlst 10 years, and I have to ask - what is with Pitchfork and Grimes' "Oblivion." Like, they love this song more than I can imagine reasonable. It's not a bad song, it's just not an amazing song. It's a standard synth song.

And the list doesn't include Blackstar by David Bowie, so I don't know what they were thinking.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s a sick song

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Pitchfork did their favorite videos of the parlst 10 years, and I have to ask - what is with Pitchfork and Grimes' "Oblivion." Like, they love this song more than I can imagine reasonable. It's not a bad song, it's just not an amazing song. It's a standard synth song.

And the list doesn't include Blackstar by David Bowie, so I don't know what they were thinking.

This one wasn’t presented as “the best videos of the 2010s” - it was just a bunch of specific writers naming their #1. So I don’t feel like you can take umbrage with it

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Cemetry Gator posted:

yeah i tend to agree. not even a top 3 grimes song imho

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
It's good but I was thinking of another song.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, I never understood Pitchfork's adoration for Oblivion over, say, Genesis, which is right there and is such a better song.

I think they latched onto the "upbeat tune/bleak lyrics" aspect of it and collectively never let go.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/larouxofficial/status/1188787788017291265

:bisonyes:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Oblivion is a sick track

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Walrus posted:

I have gotten Hot Chip and Girl Talk mixed up for going on a decade and a half now.

dont post cringe

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Genesis is amazing and Oblivion smells like a roll of nickels

I've been completely obsessed with Diet Cig lately and also I can't seem to find a place to preorder the new Slo/tface record goddamn Norwegians

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bows1 posted:

Oblivion is a sick track
hell yeah

Genesis has a better music video though

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The new Tame Impala has been announced.

'The Slow Rush'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR9d5doziDs

Here's a new track from it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emnqSVOTTk8

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_s5z2XahBo

Digging this acoustic version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Thread favorite Charly Bliss dropped an EP today. About time Heaven is put on an album, its criminal it was left off Young Enough.

E>> Supermoon is a fun one.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 30, 2019