Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Red Mountain is awesome. Great tree skiing and powder. Definitely a good mountain to have a local show you around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm thinking of getting new boots and bindings. Boots will probably be a pair of ThirtyTwo Lashed, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in bindings.
I got a 5 year old pair of Ride Rodeos, probably got 60 days on them. Has binding tech changed much in the last 5 years?
All mountain riding.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not a snowboarder but even I can tell you this thread will recommend Rome 390 Boss bindings.

I bought my husband a pair a couple years back and he really likes them.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Eejit posted:

Yo gently caress Vail Resorts, Abasin for life. You poor dumb bastard Epic kids got cucked

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I'm now management in the ski business. God help me, and all my poor dumb bastard employees.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What are you doing exactly?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As a quick pivot to some positive loving topics, what is everyone's ski goal this season? I did 41 days last season so I want to hit 45 ski days(Stretch goal 50), lose 40 pounds by the end of ski season, and tackle the "Peak to the Creek" trail at Whistler. I also want to try my hand at some black diamonds. What is everyone else up to?
My best skiing buddy blew out his ACL and both menisci at the end of our trip last year. This year I'd like to get him back on a hill of any kind, maybe do a 3-4 ski day trip out West with the rest of my usual group, and convince my girlfriend to get back on downhill after her knees went bad in early college. Locally, 5-10 days if we get enough snow, who cares it's western Pennsylvania.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm thinking of getting new boots and bindings. Boots will probably be a pair of ThirtyTwo Lashed, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in bindings.
I got a 5 year old pair of Ride Rodeos, probably got 60 days on them. Has binding tech changed much in the last 5 years?
All mountain riding.

Binding tech hasn't changed that much, but there have been updates. I do like the 390 Boss from Rome, but my daily driver bindings are Flux TM these days.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

spwrozek posted:

What are you doing exactly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3C-AD2w8s

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Enjoy your time travel back to the 80s. Wear some protection though. And maybe a helmet.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

All mountain riding.
Not really changed much. I'm running Burton Diodes (Re/Flex not EST/channel since it's on an Amplid board), Union Chargers and Now O-Drives. The Nows are the newest bindings I own (2018/2019 model) and use Now Skate-tech which has a pivot point mid-binding. As a practical matter, they are supposed to feel exactly like normal bindings but the pivot absorbs some of the chatter and allows for slightly more direct weight transfer over the edges. Most of the tech changes are comfier injection molded one piece ankle straps and stuff like that but they had that 5 years ago.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

All mountain riding.
The Burton Step-On stuff is newish, like around 2-3 years old now? Course the boots have to work with the bindings (and vice versa), and so far only Burton makes anything. They announced licensing with DC as the first partner a while back, but it’s looking like next year at the earliest for third parties. I’m guessing all the other fast entry things are fairly old and established at this point other than usual incremental improvements.

Random unrelated topic, y’all use phone/watch (Apple stuff in my case) apps for tracking stuff? Any particular suggestions or are a lot of them pretty samey? Don’t have any real useful purpose other than just liking to see the paths and speed stats and whatnot. Tried just a few last season, Slopes seems the nicest but has subscription pricing, snoww is free but visualization and stats seem pretty sparse. WorkOutDoors has stats out the wazoo but is more of a general purpose app so not sure it’s really identifying lifts and runs correctly.

vvvvv edit oops sorry for the confusion, was tagging onto the binding chat. Inserted quote/tweaked text to be clearer.

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 15, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Did you have an actual question about the step-ons? I was a bit confused about that.

I don't track resort skiing but I use a Suunto Ambit 3 Peak to track all my uphill skiing, biking, and running activities and upload it to Strava. I have used it at Keystone in the bike park. Here was one of those days: https://www.strava.com/activities/2453247523

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As a quick pivot to some positive loving topics, what is everyone's ski goal this season? I did 41 days last season so I want to hit 45 ski days(Stretch goal 50), lose 40 pounds by the end of ski season, and tackle the "Peak to the Creek" trail at Whistler. I also want to try my hand at some black diamonds. What is everyone else up to?

Continue my work to make moguls my bitch

Also losing more weight but not so much a light breeze chills my core

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Moot .1415926535 posted:

It’s most likely a torn labrum I’m told, which I guess is part of the rotator cuff? Here’s hoping I can get the surgery scheduled earlier than later.

One my students had that done a year or two ago and it was at least 3 months before heavy exercise was allowed again. For him that is ice climbing so vOv
e:

resident posted:

My goal is to get on some skis again for the first time since my teens, and use my Epic Local at least two places in addition to Stevens Pass.

I did this a few seasons ago, its amazing how quickly it comes back to you. Enjoy and report back!

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 15, 2019

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Continue my work to make moguls my bitch

Have someone hit you with a pole while they yell BEND ZE KNEES in a German accent as you ski.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Disinterested posted:

Have someone hit you with a pole while they yell BEND ZE KNEES in a German accent as you ski.

This actually happened to me last year!

She was my boss not my coach though, so I actually listened

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Then you've learned more than any of us can teach you.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkeMYR-QeUU

Never 4get

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The classic "4th place". I never really looked at how they score that stuff.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Jesus that was 2002?

I'm getting old

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Let's also not forget that the dinner roll was cutting edge a mere 17 years ago. Now if you can't throw a switch dub blunt 12 off a trailside kicker just lol

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

They overprescribe labrum repair surgery so you ought to get multiple opinions if you haven’t already

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

If anyone doesn't know, he was the reigning champion and threw a trick he knew the judges were gonna punish so that he could push what kind of freestyle was allowed in moguls way further (at this point there were no inverts and it was still trad freestyle tricks).

So he had the best run but they made him 4th but every comp since kind of owes it a debt.

If anything it's too much about the freestyle element now.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Rated PG-34 posted:

They overprescribe labrum repair surgery so you ought to get multiple opinions if you haven’t already

Good to know, I’ll know more after my MRI this afternoon. May end up driving up to Vail for the surgery as I’ve heard good things about the shoulder guy there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Disinterested posted:

If anyone doesn't know, he was the reigning champion and threw a trick he knew the judges were gonna punish so that he could push what kind of freestyle was allowed in moguls way further (at this point there were no inverts and it was still trad freestyle tricks).

So he had the best run but they made him 4th but every comp since kind of owes it a debt.

That was what I thought. I remember a bunch of stuff about the dinner roll technically not being an invert it something (or trying to claim it at least). I love the reaction by diving into the crowd.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Disinterested posted:

Johnny Mosley throwing a loving Olympic medal to better the sport is such a boss move.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

spwrozek posted:

That was what I thought. I remember a bunch of stuff about the dinner roll technically not being an invert it something (or trying to claim it at least). I love the reaction by diving into the crowd.

Yeah there was a lot of nonsense is it isn't it about if it counts as an invert.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Good to know, I’ll know more after my MRI this afternoon. May end up driving up to Vail for the surgery as I’ve heard good things about the shoulder guy there.

Yeah, I had 3 opinions, the first 2 recommended surgery and the last one recommended some stretches and PT. IIRC, the surgery often isn’t 100% repair either so if you can get away without it, you’re probably better off.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Shoulder surgeries do in general have quite low success rates comparatively so I'd definitely look deep in to the success rates for your particular type of surgery.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

1. Patrouille des Glaciers in 13 hours - first hurdle is my team getting a race start, second is doing it.

2. No broken legs.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Heck yeah race goals. That event looks incredible.

For me:

Signed up for 3x 50k xc skate races, so finish those. Stretch goal: get strong enough to feel like I'm actually racing and not just trying to finish.

Average 3k vertical feet every week from start of XC grooming until the last race in March. Stretch goal: get management to let us skin the local hill during operating hours so I can bang out laps on my patrol shifts.

No real downhill goals this year, but a few solid powder days at Bohemia would be nice.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I should probably race Alpine again this year, but I am both scared and lazy. But I guess I will.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Do it.

I'm doing my last year of FIS racing this year. Gonna send it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Why the gently caress is Fernie almost as expensive as Whistler? The gently caress is this nonsense?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HookShot posted:

Do it.

Our town racing is completely insane. It's a lot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HookShot posted:

Do it.

Cheering for you hard!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

like any major ski town that has a history of producing olympic athletes it's also quite demoralising at times

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Wow that run felt good

Down 5 seconds to a former Olympian

In a race less than a minute long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm going to be on the board of directors of my kids' ski race team this year so I'll be going full send on crazy ski race parent. This year will be U14 for them.