Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Warpers are IMO the most annoying creatures in the game, especially later on.

I just want to grapple up out of the grand reef. Also I don't get the love for the prawn suit. Yeah, the drill arm is nice and you can go quite deep (and therefore it's necessary for late game stuff) but holy poo poo it's a nightmare to maneuver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Previa_fun posted:

I just want to grapple up out of the grand reef. Also I don't get the love for the prawn suit. Yeah, the drill arm is nice and you can go quite deep (and therefore it's necessary for late game stuff) but holy poo poo it's a nightmare to maneuver.

I hated the prawn suit and only really used it because I was forced to. It's only tolerable by docking it with the Cyclops and trying to do short jaunts. Some people disliked the Cyclops but I preferred having a mobile base rather than constantly playing resource collection games making a bunch of mini bases.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Did you put a grappler and some jump jets on your suit? Without those, yes it does suck.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Even without the upgraded jump jets, just a single grappling arm almost entirely changes the way the prawn suit feels to pilot. It makes it, arguably, the most maneuverable vehicle in the game, and a source of endless fun.

The upgraded jump jet just straight up also makes it...well, more fun.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I have the grappling arm; still hate piloting the prawn suit. Currently searching for fragments to build the cyclops, I have everything for the engine and bridge, I'm only lacking what seems to be the "main" cyclops fragment.

I grew up putting hundreds of hours into flight sims though so the seamoth and cyclops make sense to me. Prawn suit just feels clunky as hell.

Edit: are fragment locations random? I feel like I got the cyclops built way earlier in my last playthrough attempt.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 13, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Previa_fun posted:

I have the grappling arm; still hate piloting the prawn suit. Currently searching for fragments to build the cyclops, I have everything for the engine and bridge, I'm only lacking what seems to be the "main" cyclops fragment.

I grew up putting hundreds of hours into flight sims though so the seamoth and cyclops make sense to me. Prawn suit just feels clunky as hell.

Edit: are fragment locations random? I feel like I got the cyclops built way earlier in my last playthrough attempt.
whenever someone complains about prawn maneuverability this video should just auto-reply to them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk&hd=1

double grapple prawn suit is a grand old time, way more fun than just holding forward in the seamoth

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

Did you put a grappler and some jump jets on your suit? Without those, yes it does suck.

Yes and it still sucks to me. It felt very imprecise, and everything just seemed like it takes longer than it should. Just feels like a chore to use. The Seamoth was boring in terms of mechanics but at least very nimble and responsive.

But hey a simple mod fixed the issue for me so no big deal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

Fragments have areas they are "supposed" to show up in, but they never got around to polishing it up enough to prevent "Finally unlocked laser cutter? Good news, that sealed wreck had five more laser cutter fragments inside!" between lucking into every piece you need to build the Cyclops within 10 minutes.

On the broadest sense "Just keep looking", but if it starts to drag on consult the wiki to ensure you're not simply going crazy.

There is an obvious once you see it unique benefit to the prawnsuit. Very mild mechanical spoiler, with no story spoilers You need the prawn drill, to drill up the Ion crystal nodes that pop up occasionally in plot locations. Including the very final respawning ion crystal supply. So you won't need to rely on stray individual cubes as much

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 13, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Yeah, my fins-only (no seaglide, even) run definitely made scrounging them a lot more involved, even as I didn't need to convert more than the minimum number to storage-device mode. I certainly had to think about it before I went around turning on teleporters willy-nilly, for instance.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Update: Despite how spooky the game can be, so far my deaths primarily come from me sitting 200m underwater reading my encyclopedia. Oxygen 30 seconds? Ehhh I got time.
I also died once from eating a bad fish and insta-dehydrating like some kind of saltwater mummy, but I was really smart because I pooped all of my inventory onto the ground as I was dying and then just came back and picked it up.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

turtlecrunch posted:

Update: Despite how spooky the game can be, so far my deaths primarily come from me sitting 200m underwater reading my encyclopedia. Oxygen 30 seconds? Ehhh I got time.
I also died once from eating a bad fish and insta-dehydrating like some kind of saltwater mummy, but I was really smart because I pooped all of my inventory onto the ground as I was dying and then just came back and picked it up.

Thank goodness for Alterra's automated life-sustaining medical systems and miniaturized propulsion units built into their emergency bodysuits. Their ability to remote-pilot your limp body back to base while unconscious is a real lifesaver.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ok, after I installed the jump jet upgrade I'm starting to turn around on the prawn suit. Grappling from pillar to pillar in the ILZ kicks rear end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Previa_fun posted:

Ok, after I installed the jump jet upgrade I'm starting to turn around on the prawn suit. Grappling from pillar to pillar in the ILZ kicks rear end.

did you equip double grapples, because that's a massive boost in maneuverability with the jump jet upgrade. even if you need to hop out to swap arms to do anything else, it's absolutely worth it to be able to absolutely fly through the water, faster than any leviathans can possibly catch you if you're in trouble, and then have drill arm + grapple for the general area that you want to go mining in.

seriously, if you skipped it, watch that video I posted up above, you're underwater spiderman with double grapples.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah, if you don't have even a little fun swinging around under the thermocline with two grapple arms, I don't know why you even bothered to get all your friends killed and infect yourself with ancient alien helljizz.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Never not full Spiderman, but the Cyclops will always be my fave. :allears:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm a little grump that Breathedge hasn't gotten around to the base building thing, but it's fun enough once you get the vacuum cleaner.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm a little grump that Breathedge hasn't gotten around to the base building thing, but it's fun enough once you get the vacuum cleaner.

You didn't build a base?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Up to chapter 2 and I've yet to see anything I can build a base with. There's construction kits, but no way to use 'em.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Never not full Spiderman, but the Cyclops will always be my fave. :allears:

Dat Cyclops voice:

WELCOME ABOARD CAPTAIN

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

WarpedNaba posted:

Up to chapter 2 and I've yet to see anything I can build a base with. There's construction kits, but no way to use 'em.

You need a tool for that, I think it's called the dispenser. It's in chapter 2 somewhere

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oooooh. poo poo.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It’s kind of annoying in that Cyclops parts are scattered into very weird areas, unlike most other equipment you can’t get all the pieces from big wrecks; there’s only one big wreck with more than a piece or 2 IIRC, and it’s way, way west. Most cyclops stuff is just laying on the ground in the mushroom forests, which is oddly less enjoyable for me than via wreck treasure.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 17, 2019

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I made the Cyclops but it keeps getting attacked by these big worm guys whenever I go further than 0m below the surface so right now I'm just wandering aimlessly trying to find a place where I'm allowed to go down. :shrug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

I made the Cyclops but it keeps getting attacked by these big worm guys whenever I go further than 0m below the surface so right now I'm just wandering aimlessly trying to find a place where I'm allowed to go down. :shrug:

If they're really big and transparent then you're out of bounds.

You can find places to take your Cyclops down if you look for blood kelp.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Hwurmp posted:

If they're really big and transparent then you're out of bounds.

You can find places to take your Cyclops down if you look for blood kelp.

No they're sort of red and gray. Thanks for the tip.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Those guys are only located in a few border regions, generally places that are desolate and free of most other life or interesting things (I wonder why).

They are, in addition, one of the very few things that will actually attack your cyclops (along with the translucent blue guys another poster mentioned), so it's less 'everything is messing with me' and more 'one specific anti-cyclops (anti-your character, really) thing is messing with me in a few empty places with nothing significant there (except for one very big exception near the Aurora's front).

There are lots of other deep places to take your cyclops, try them. Also, full speed is for running away from those guys (of whom there are only, like, 13 or so in the entire game), running is a very effective tactic, they won't follow you too far.

Or, you know, load a PRAWN into your cyclops, then launch it when they show up and punch them to death. That works too.

edit: Also, just so it doesn't feel like I'm chiding you, which I don't mean to: If you really really really feel frustrated by this, here is a map showing the locations of those red and grey guys (marked with red circles) and blue guys (marked with blue circles), along with...pretty much everything else in the game. It's super super spoilery, so I don't suggest looking at it, but if it's that or stopping playing...taking a quick look to see just how border-areas-wise they're concentrated in might be worth it. You definitely shouldn't keep it, though, it'll spoil the fun of exploration.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 19, 2019

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Captain Invictus posted:

whenever someone complains about prawn maneuverability this video should just auto-reply to them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk&hd=1

double grapple prawn suit is a grand old time, way more fun than just holding forward in the seamoth

Prawn = fun, crab = speedboat got it.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Frankly, one of the most annoying creatures in any game that I've ever played.

Who would have thought that an immortal, teleporting rear end in a top hat that follows you around yanking you out of your vehicle at a distance while you're trying to jump out of a 200 M deep pit would get old.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Avasculous posted:

Frankly, one of the most annoying creatures in any game that I've ever played.

Who would have thought that an immortal, teleporting rear end in a top hat that follows you around yanking you out of your vehicle at a distance while you're trying to jump out of a 200 M deep pit would get old.
Because every playthrough where they are a complete non-issue for me and stay gone when I punt them, means any playthrough with a stubborn warper camping out where I want to go doesn't count :v:

Warpers are not a big deal... Until one day, they realize they are a walking pile of cheat codes :shepicide: "When you didn't stay dead, mister scuba man. I realized I didn't have to either."

Beats reaching the end of the game, only to get eaten by something waiting for you indoors though. But at least that friend of mine wasn't playing Ironman.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Warpers only want you to be healthy :kiddo:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
healthily dead.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Those guys are only located in a few border regions, generally places that are desolate and free of most other life or interesting things (I wonder why).

They are, in addition, one of the very few things that will actually attack your cyclops (along with the translucent blue guys another poster mentioned), so it's less 'everything is messing with me' and more 'one specific anti-cyclops (anti-your character, really) thing is messing with me in a few empty places with nothing significant there (except for one very big exception near the Aurora's front).

There are lots of other deep places to take your cyclops, try them. Also, full speed is for running away from those guys (of whom there are only, like, 13 or so in the entire game), running is a very effective tactic, they won't follow you too far.

Or, you know, load a PRAWN into your cyclops, then launch it when they show up and punch them to death. That works too.

edit: Also, just so it doesn't feel like I'm chiding you, which I don't mean to: If you really really really feel frustrated by this, here is a map showing the locations of those red and grey guys (marked with red circles) and blue guys (marked with blue circles), along with...pretty much everything else in the game. It's super super spoilery, so I don't suggest looking at it, but if it's that or stopping playing...taking a quick look to see just how border-areas-wise they're concentrated in might be worth it. You definitely shouldn't keep it, though, it'll spoil the fun of exploration.

So I didn't look at the map but I am trying to sort of go to places I know then just skim down along the bottom from there since I haven't really seen any red kelp. I do keep running into those red/gray guys but I have also had some successes. For example, I have found these two Prawn arm blueprints:

And so now uh...now I suppose I just need to find a blueprint for the Prawn itself. :haw:

I also found a nuclear reactor! Yay!

Hwurmp posted:

Warpers only want you to be healthy :kiddo:

Continuing to stay away from these guys because they keep staring at me and being spooky.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

I haven't really seen any red kelp.

better dead than red

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

FWIW, blood kelp is actually mostly white - the harvestable spots on it are what give it its name.

Also, have you visited the inside of the Aurora yet?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The nuclear reactor is hands down the best source of energy in the game, simply because you can use it anywhere with extremely small amounts of effort or maintenance, no sunlight, heat, or biomass required. Yes, the rods don't last forever, but at 20,000 power per rod, they last a LONG time, and you can insert up to four of them per reactor (then switch them out when they deplete), even with a water filtration unit, and they pour that power out FAST, so you'll never encounter a brownout because the output rate can't match your current power draws. It really takes multiple water filtration units and constant scanner room use or spotlights or huge amounts of power cell recharging to push even one rod to depletion in less than 6+ hours.

The only tricky part is finding the uraninite crystals to make the rods, but even those are surprisingly abundant in certain locations, so it's just a matter of finding those locations and stocking up.

They like to form in crevasses of various sorts, out of the way, but it tiny Ryley-sized cracks in the walls in some grand locations, or caves within trench walls, for larger deposits, or even the floor of a certain set of floating land masses.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Bioreactor and 2 plant pots are my go to. You can do everything you need to do in the base, refill you hunger/thrist, and replant the plants.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Hmmmmm sounds pretty efficient but you know my current power design doubles as a giant flag to let the aliens know who's the boss of the planet now :v:

Vil posted:

FWIW, blood kelp is actually mostly white - the harvestable spots on it are what give it its name.

Also, have you visited the inside of the Aurora yet?

Okay yeah I saw that stuff once but then I lost track of where it was. I'll hit up the Aurora once I stop finding neat caves to drown in.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
One piece of advice that isn't too spoilery: don't hit up the Aurora without having at least a laser cutter and a repair tool on you.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

EimiYoshikawa posted:

One piece of advice that isn't too spoilery: don't hit up the Aurora without having at least a laser cutter and a repair tool on you.

You know, this is something I wish the stupid PDA warned you about during your first approach. I remember in my first playthrough, going into the Aurora and finding out that most good stuff is locked behind laser cutter/repair tool was super annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

's a candidate for 'Mine's deeper than yours'.