Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I thought Stephanie herself vetoed the incest angle? Because it definitely seems like the kind of thing Vince would go for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the story goes vince wanted her to be pregnant with his child, and when she said no, he shifted it to being shane's child because he thought age was the issue. She also said no to that

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
We know that Ambrose was scripted to say something so bad about Roman's real-life illness that he refused to say it.

Also wasn't there some sort of pseudo-incest angle with Paul Burchill and Katie Lea or am I remembering that wrong?

edit: Prichard's mentioned on his podcast that you want to be careful mentioning stupid ideas to Vince because even if its 3am and you're all tired and just want the meeting to end there's a chance he'll say I LOVE IT and suddenly your stupid idea that you said out of desperation/boredom is on international TV.

Seams fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 19, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

There was the time Vince wanted Kane's character in See No Evil to have a three foot dick. It's not wrestling but it's still Vince being weird as poo poo.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In an alternate universe Vince McMahon is living his best life making John Waters style gross weirdo films that Vince Russo rents out to cult classic film snobs in the video store he still runs in 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seams posted:

Also wasn't there some sort of pseudo-incest angle with Paul Burchill and Katie Lea or am I remembering that wrong?

It was reported that was what the angle between them was originally going to be but it never actually happened on the show, though people who were primed to expect it read a lot into every interaction between them (this is from memory, maybe there was something more straight-up I missed).

Beaver Cleavage aired a few vignettes with a bizarre psuedo-incest thing about his mother or something before they realized how terrible it was and abandoned the idea.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The difference being Waters knew his stuff was subversive and disturbing while McMahon is convinced his bizarre hangups and fetishes are shared and enjoyed by the vast majority of other people

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the beaver cleavage angle got even worse because it devolved into a shoot angle (bad) and then into an angle about false domestic violence allegations (absolute dogshit). Russo’s original idea of “she’s a 50s housewife with big boobs lol” was somehow better

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Going back to the Jericho question briefly, I think on the first episode of Dynamite he did the cocky pin attempt where he barely puts a foot on a guy and poses and I marked out like I was 8 again. The best

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

jesus WEP posted:

He’s been waiting 13 years for the perfect moment to deploy the greatest idea he’s heard in his entire life

From out in the hallway you hear "MOTHERFUCKER WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT! GOD drat MOTHER FUCKER GET IT TOGETHER VINCE"
Then he walks back inside and says nothing else about it.
And never uses the gimmick because he can't handle it existing and not being his idea.
And then Heidenreich wrote poems. The end.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cornette mentioned in a totally throwaway fashion that Bobo Brazil didn’t blade much cause he said he was too black for people to see it but that he bladed in a barbed wire match with Jerry Lawler. My question is... Bobo Brazil had a barbed wire match with Jerry Lawler?? I wasn’t even aware barbed wire matches existed in the 70s

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

well technically in memphis they were bobwire matches, and the harrowing threat of bobwire was enough. no body actually used it

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Wire’s your uncle.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

No-one has been abe to find the match because, to avoid confusion he was billed as Barbo Brazil.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Cornette mentioned in a totally throwaway fashion that Bobo Brazil didn’t blade much cause he said he was too black for people to see it but that he bladed in a barbed wire match with Jerry Lawler. My question is... Bobo Brazil had a barbed wire match with Jerry Lawler?? I wasn’t even aware barbed wire matches existed in the 70s

Early barbed wire matches were a couple strands wrapped around the ropes. Good enough for an irish-whip and a head gouge spot to get color but not the no-rope stuff Japan made popular.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

extradite THIS! posted:

Honestly, like 99.5% of old school wrestlers are/were awful garbage trash people. The amount of those has thankfully decreased in the modern times.

terry funk's a cool guy

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

terry funk's a cool guy

It really puts things in perspective when you have a sick horse to look after

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

If I were ever asked to associate the words Pro Wrestler with someone it would be Terry Funk.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

If I were ever asked to associate the words Pro Wrestler with someone it would be Terry Funk.

for me it's Scott Norton. he's like a cartoon wrestler brought to life with his body proportions and his voice.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Scott Steiner. The perfect storm of 'ridiculously athletic' and 'ridiculously ridiculous'

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Was it Funk that called Dusty an "egg sucking son of a whore"? Because that poo poo still makes me laugh.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

If I had to guess I'd say yes.
Funk has a...way with insults.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

gently caress if I can remember but there's the one promo where he offers his daddy's watch to someone even though he hates them so they'll tag together. Terry Funk is the poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

Was it Funk that called Dusty an "egg sucking son of a whore"? Because that poo poo still makes me laugh.

Egg sucking dog was the usual insult

TheKingslayer posted:

gently caress if I can remember but there's the one promo where he offers his daddy's watch to someone even though he hates them so they'll tag together. Terry Funk is the poo poo.

Lawler, I think

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't Jeremy Borash signed by WWE like a year ago? I haven't heard anything about him ever since.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I was reminded of the wrestlemania 25 botch where Sim Snuka was the fake camera guy and didn't catch Undertaker like, at all... but how was he expected to hold a camera and catch taker simultaneously? Also if that camera had been filming that shot might have been amazing

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't Jeremy Borash signed by WWE like a year ago? I haven't heard anything about him ever since.

he "works with the NXT Brand"

WWE doesn't sign people to use them

question: does NJPW do Face/heel alignments? if so, what is Tomohiro Ishii (aside from awesome)?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ishii is a big babyface, trending more cool face than white meat face

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

he "works with the NXT Brand"

WWE doesn't sign people to use them

question: does NJPW do Face/heel alignments? if so, what is Tomohiro Ishii (aside from awesome)?

Yes, but not every match is necessarily going to be heel vs face. Watch Jay White vs Ibushi from this year's G1 for some great heel/face dynamics.

Ishii is a face.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is only peripherally-related to wrestling talk, but does the WWE Network still use flash player? UFC fightpass uses it, and as far as I can tell, has about a year to roll out something else, and no announced plans to do so.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Does AEW have conventional heel/face dynamics? The Inner Circle/MJF/probably Lucha Bros are heels but everybody else is on a sliding scale where their heelness is depending on the story they're telling, like Best Friends against SCU or the Bucks against Private Party.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

TheKingslayer posted:

funk said that dustin rhodes's mother was a whore. he also lit an effigy of dusty rhodes on fire

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

Does AEW have conventional heel/face dynamics? The Inner Circle/MJF/probably Lucha Bros are heels but everybody else is on a sliding scale where their heelness is depending on the story they're telling, like Best Friends against SCU or the Bucks against Private Party.

Cody has explicitly said Face/Heel is more dependent on context than a straight alignment.

https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1042174325401350144?s=20

edit: even MJF is not a total heel. he's still looking out for Cody (but ONLY Cody)

It's pretty cool when Cody says in an interview "I know what MJF is, there's a reason I don't do signings with him any more"

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 21, 2019

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Sharparoni posted:

Going back to the Jericho question briefly, I think on the first episode of Dynamite he did the cocky pin attempt where he barely puts a foot on a guy and poses and I marked out like I was 8 again. The best

CMON BAYBAAAAAY

god jericho rules

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Jonny Nox posted:

It's a gradient, where the worst sin of all is running away from a fight. It's why Suzuki-Gun vs Bullet Club matchups are so fun, because Suzuki-Gun are usually the heels, since they're mean, cheating assholes who beat up Young Lions and bully referees and ring announcers. However, they're also a pack of sadists always down for a fight, so when they get matched up with the cowardly Bullet Club, they're the de facto faces, and there's a FUCKLOAD of cheating on both sides.

Ishii's faction, Chaos, are former heels who have a slight edge because they're all varying degrees of cocky (most of all Okada, the leader) but are generally the big babyface faction. They'll get cheered most of the time but aren't too bothered by a negative reaction here and there.

Los Ingobernables de Japon are, on paper, neutral/tweeners who go back and forth depending who they face but are so popular they just ended up being mega faces who the crowd sometimes boo for fun when they bend the rules.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

shiksa posted:

CMON BAYBAAAAAY

god jericho rules

It’s a classic touch.

Also I usually put the NJPW hierarchy from face to heel as follows:

Main Force (Tanahashi/Liger/Taguchi/etc) > CHAOS > LIJ > Bullet Club > Suzuki-gun

As mentioned LIJ were heel-adjacent for a long while (because Naito was sick of it all) but that caught wind as an anti-authority side of things. In Japan, LIJ are like if Stone Cold had a faction instead of just being a singles star — they tap into the same disaffection and dismissal of authority.

The ‘Main Force’ are still the pure white-meat baby faces and unaffiliated guys, whereas CHAOS lean towards cool faces but also can heel it up when need arises. Bullet Club are cowardly foreigners, Suzuki-gun are chaotic evil.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
njpws "levels of heelishness" system is great especially with all the large factions they have.

it makes so much sense and it's basically exactly how I would want to classify wrestlers if I ran something.

LIJ v SZG matchups 4evr

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do like the fairly infrequent Bullet Club/Suzuki-Gun interactions too, especially when the scummier guys like Kanemaru get a chance to out-scum Bullet Club.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Thanks for the NJPW answers. It's a "sometimes" flavor for me, but you've all made me more interested in the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

harperdc posted:

Also I usually put the NJPW hierarchy from face to heel as follows:

Main Force (Tanahashi/Liger/Taguchi/etc) > CHAOS > LIJ > Bullet Club > Suzuki-gun

Ever since Switchblade took over I'd swap Bullet Club and Suzuki-gun, personally. SZKG are cheating bullies but at least they don't run away. That's the one thing New Japan crowds hate more than any other.