Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Leal posted:

Its cause you play a cop and you know goons

ACAB :reject:

A choice in the game is literally "Roll up your sleeves and start building Communism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think part of it is that talking about the game in a thread that’s not already steeped in it makes it look like you’re just making poo poo up. That game is weird and I love it. In the first half hour of the game I had a bartender explain money to me because my character blacked out so hard he had forgotten basic concepts.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think part of it is that talking about the game in a thread that’s not already steeped in it makes it look like you’re just making poo poo up. That game is weird and I love it.

idk mang after YIIK i don't know if there's anything you could tell me that i wouldn't believe

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think part of it is that talking about the game in a thread that’s not already steeped in it makes it look like you’re just making poo poo up. That game is weird and I love it. In the first half hour of the game I had a bartender explain money to me because my character blacked out so hard he had forgotten basic concepts.

Thats my favorite little thing honestly. It throws you into its weirdness face first and just expects you to roll with it. A lot of people died trying to get their tie down fron a ceiling fan.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

It's a bit hard to talk about since the game is all story and the truly fantastic parts are all huge spoilers.
That said, my first failure came when my Sorry Cop realized that communism failed so he quit the force due to too much sadness.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Shovel Knight: The light bar on the playstation controller changes colour to match the background and characters.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mamkute posted:

Shovel Knight: The light bar on the playstation controller changes colour to match the background and characters.

in Borderlands on the PS4, the light bar changes to the color of your gun's elemental damage, and in Horizon Zero Dawn the sound of your earpiece activating comes out of the controller speaker. i always find stuff like that neat.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Thats my favorite little thing honestly. It throws you into its weirdness face first and just expects you to roll with it. A lot of people died trying to get their tie down fron a ceiling fan.

I'm pretty sure that ceiling fan is responsible for the most dead cops worldwide.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was talking to the racist lorry driver and was kind of wishy washy about it not backing up Kim and not agreeing with the racist and the game gave me poo poo for it after I finished the conversation.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't mean that in a "goons are bad" way but like...

One of the early parts of the game lets you be an rear end in a top hat and try to shoot a corpse down from where it's hanging. This is written hilariously especially since you're being heckled by the most nasty little shitbird kid the entire time, but "it's really funny when the drunk cop misfires his weapon near a kid" isn't really something people want to hear for understandable reasons.
Oh it gets better, you can actually attempt to shoot one of the kids who goads you to take the shot. I couldn't make the skill roll to make the shot so I don't know if it does connect or not if you make it.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I was talking to the racist lorry driver and was kind of wishy washy about it not backing up Kim and not agreeing with the racist and the game gave me poo poo for it after I finished the conversation.

Yeah, the writing as a whole takes a seriously dim view on the concept of "Enlightened Centrists" who like to pretend they're peace keepers while maintaining an oppressive status quo.

Unlike most choice based RPGs it very much reminds you that not making a choice is a choice itself and very often the wrong one.

Edit: And the racist driver was a really good moment because I think it's the first time I've seen a game tackle the concept of dog whistles, because rather than just have him scream slurs from the back of a pickup truck he, at first, says seemingly nice things that your character (And probably you the player) won't pick up on right away, but your partner immediately realises is an insult towards him.

Pulsarcat has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Oct 19, 2019

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Playing through Medal of Honor: Airborne again I forgot how much I enjoyed the cover and health system.

When you aim down sights you become locked into place (unless you press in the left stick then you can move) and your left stick moves your character’s body so you can naturally dick in and out of cover.

Your health is split into 4 bars. If you take damage but the bar isn’t depleted then it’ll naturally refill that section. If you lose that section then you’ll need to find a medkit. I thought it was a great middle ground between numerical health and health regeneration.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

moosecow333 posted:

Your health is split into 4 bars. If you take damage but the bar isn’t depleted then it’ll naturally refill that section. If you lose that section then you’ll need to find a medkit. I thought it was a great middle ground between numerical health and health regeneration.

Resistance: Fall of Man does that too. (I wonder if Medal of Honor was influenced by it? The games were released within a year of eachother... so it's possible but could just be coincidence). How Resistance implements it gameplay and lorewise is a great little thing too.

When you first start and are fully human, your health does not regenerate. Makes dying in the first couple of missions just a tiny beat easier. There are still loads of health packs around, but you don't get that buffer of a regenerating quadrant.

Once you're infected by the chimeran virus, the quadrants regenerate! As you say, it's a surprisingly great middle ground between numerical health and complete regeneration. It keeps tension up when you're down to the last quadrant and can't find a medkit, but also allows the player to still take risks in a firefight.

They turned it to full regeneration for Resistance 2... which sucked and kinda killed a bit of the charm.

For Resistance 3, they scrapped health regen altogether in favour of numerical health--because the protagonist had been cured of the Chimeran Virus. Little thing in R3: you can unlock Chimeran Mode which lets you play using R:FoM's quadrant regeneration system!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The earliest game I can remember seeing that in is Chronicles of Riddick in 2004.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

Edit: And the racist driver was a really good moment because I think it's the first time I've seen a game tackle the concept of dog whistles, because rather than just have him scream slurs from the back of a pickup truck he, at first, says seemingly nice things that your character (And probably you the player) won't pick up on right away, but your partner immediately realises is an insult towards him.
If you (the player) have experienced anything like that IRL, you will absolutely pick up on it right away. I've watched a lot of streams of the game waiting for it to come out, and seeing streamers react to that part was a trip, 'cause their reactions told a lot about their life experiences, ranging from people who immediately got what was going on, to the ones who were wishy-washy until your partner spelled it out, to the ones who thought he was overreacting up until the driver went "I'm not *just* a racist." Game accounts for all those reactions too.

One of my favorite little things about Disco Elysium is the moments when it tackles stuff like that, and has balls to do so unapologetically.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
My favorite little thing about Disco Elysium is that it's probably the best written game in the history of games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I missed homeworld chat but the best dialog for me is the progression of how you announce yourself in Cataclysm.

In Cataclysm you play as a bunch of miners for a minor clan in the rear end end of space drilling up resources nobody else wants and end up way way way way over your head as you accidentally unleash a parasitic lifeform that has destroyed empires before you. So of course you run from it and in your attempt to escape you encounter all sorts of different people and have to introduce yourself.

At first is things like this is the higaaran mining vessel Kun-Laan, of house whatever, on assignment x. As you keep fleeing and arming yourself more and more heavily to deal with the enemies harrassment you start shortening it because nobody cares until youre just saying "mining vessel kun laan" or, as you add ever more hastily bolted on sections to fight the enemy and sustain the fleet of survivors of the enemies attacks, just Kuun Lan.

By the end of the game though, its become aparent youre running out of room to run and will have to fight this thing head on and youre going to need to pick the battle. By this point youve bolted so much onto your mining vessel that what was once a little larger than a carrier now dwarfs dreadnoughts, youve strapped an experimental cannon to the front of your ship, your fleet is now dozens of frigates, carriers, and dreadnoughts youve saved or stolen, and everyone you command knows your ships are set up to burn them alive with hot plasma rather than risk infection with the enemy.

So in the final mission you warp in to support military fleets in a desperate battle with the lifeform, and without any fanfare or the game calling any attention to it whatsoever you introduce yourself as "The Warship Kuun-Lan".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

I missed homeworld chat but the best dialog for me is the progression of how you announce yourself in Cataclysm.

In Cataclysm you play as a bunch of miners for a minor clan in the rear end end of space drilling up resources nobody else wants and end up way way way way over your head as you accidentally unleash a parasitic lifeform that has destroyed empires before you. So of course you run from it and in your attempt to escape you encounter all sorts of different people and have to introduce yourself.

At first is things like this is the higaaran mining vessel Kun-Laan, of house whatever, on assignment x. As you keep fleeing and arming yourself more and more heavily to deal with the enemies harrassment you start shortening it because nobody cares until youre just saying "mining vessel kun laan" or, as you add ever more hastily bolted on sections to fight the enemy and sustain the fleet of survivors of the enemies attacks, just Kuun Lan.

By the end of the game though, its become aparent youre running out of room to run and will have to fight this thing head on and youre going to need to pick the battle. By this point youve bolted so much onto your mining vessel that what was once a little larger than a carrier now dwarfs dreadnoughts, youve strapped an experimental cannon to the front of your ship, your fleet is now dozens of frigates, carriers, and dreadnoughts youve saved or stolen, and everyone you command knows your ships are set up to burn them alive with hot plasma rather than risk infection with the enemy.

So in the final mission you warp in to support military fleets in a desperate battle with the lifeform, and without any fanfare or the game calling any attention to it whatsoever you introduce yourself as "The Warship Kuun-Lan".

That and “the prisoner did not survive interrogation” are some of the best lines of the series because they’re so understated.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

haveblue posted:

The earliest game I can remember seeing that in is Chronicles of Riddick in 2004.

oh man i do not remember that. i loved that game and really want to replay it now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The worst thing about the Riddick universe is that it has to revolve around Vin Diesel. I heard that the last Riddick movie had three scenes where they assert than Vin Diesel's character is straight.

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

Croccers posted:

Oh it gets better, you can actually attempt to shoot one of the kids who goads you to take the shot. I couldn't make the skill roll to make the shot so I don't know if it does connect or not if you make it.

yeah

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The worst thing about the Riddick universe is that it has to revolve around Vin Diesel. I heard that the last Riddick movie had three scenes where they assert than Vin Diesel's character is straight.

Vin Diesel taught Dame Judy Dench how to play D&D he gets a pass

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Riddick is murdersexual.

Escape From Butcher Bay was loving awesome. Punches had oomph behind them, plus different attack types for a first person punching was wild. Seeing your target's face snap back from being decked in the face was awesome. I'm glad there was a game made to let me enjoy seeing a person get punched in first person ever since the police told me to stop doing it irl.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leal posted:

Riddick is murdersexual.

Escape From Butcher Bay was loving awesome. Punches had oomph behind them, plus different attack types for a first person punching was wild. Seeing your target's face snap back from being decked in the face was awesome. I'm glad there was a game made to let me enjoy seeing a person get punched in first person ever since the police told me to stop doing it irl.

Really the only part of that game that wasn’t perfect was the bit where you had to shotgun mutants in a sewer.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Everything about Disco Elysium sounds loving incredible and I’m sad that my computer is such poo poo it can barely play anything that came out less than ten years ago. Looking forward to when I can tackle it

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

Vin Diesel taught Dame Judy Dench how to play D&D he gets a pass

Vin Diesel gets a pass because he seems to be very realistic on his strengths as an actor and made himself a multi million franchise. Albeit its sad that he stopped doing comedy stuff and properly nerdy projects like founding a game studio to do *proper* games around his franchises and such.

The guy is basically The Rock, but not as charismatic one.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If I ever make a movie it'll be set in an alternate-universe where all those stillborn-franchises became successful: Hudson Hawk 2: Catch the Hawk, Remo Williams: The Adventure Continues, Mortdecai: After you with the Pistol...

Didn't the Starbreeze folk who made Riddick jump ship to make Wolfenstein? I haven't played enough of either game to see the shared DNA.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

For me it's the name, it just sounds like one of any number of quirkily-titled indie releases of unknown quality. I wouldn't have paid it any closer attention except for seeing it pop up a few times around here, it's on my list to check out when I have a smaller backlog.
I liked its previous name, No Truce With The Furies, a lot more

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I liked its previous name, No Truce With The Furies, a lot more

lol I read that as "Furries" at first and was like, ":hmmyes: sold"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

If I ever make a movie it'll be set in an alternate-universe where all those stillborn-franchises became successful: Hudson Hawk 2: Catch the Hawk, Remo Williams: The Adventure Continues, Mortdecai: After you with the Pistol...

Didn't the Starbreeze folk who made Riddick jump ship to make Wolfenstein? I haven't played enough of either game to see the shared DNA.

I'd say that Disney should give Topher Grace and Vin Diesel a carte blanch to do a Star Wars movie, with the "minimal references, no visiting characters, no story connection" clause.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the best Die-Hard video-games? As in set in the one locale and takes place in a couple of hours e.g. REsident Evil 2, Arkham Asylum, Metal Gear...

"You see those mountains over there? That's a loving skybox. This is a thinking-man's FPS, not some hiking-simulator built on the goddamn Morrowind engine."

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Oct 19, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Vittulainen :finland:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Whoever decided the boats in Fortnite should have a boost that's powerful enough to drive them over land should get a promotion.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What are the best Die-Hard video-games? As in set in the one locale and takes place in a couple of hours e.g. REsident Evil 2, Arkham Asylum, Metal Gear...

"You see those mountains over there? That's a loving skybox. This is a thinking-man's FPS, not some hiking-simulator built on the goddamn Morrowind engine."

Half life with its entire lack of cutscenes? I think the surge has no breaks in it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dead Space 1 and 2? There's a brief segment of 1 that is in a different location but otherwise it's all in on giant ship. Same with 2.

Metroid Fusion too. They get away with having different environments in one locale by having segments be different artificial biomes of a research space station... but otherwise, yeah, whole game takes place in one space station.

Heck you even get to go through vents and poo poo like in Die Hard.

It's not quite the same, but in a similar vein: Killzone 2's story basically takes place over a single day. Your space fleet drops you and an invasion force at the outskirts of the enemy's capitol and each mission has you fighing through the streets until you reach the Helghast Palace--a couple of side missions returning to the outskirts or your space cruiser notwithstanding.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Spec-Ops is in a single day, isn't it?

I think Infinite Warfare technically takes place in a very short time frame but the side missions killed my perspective. Still should be a couple of days, at most.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Prey all takes place on one space station with exactly one timeskip that I can think of (which happens in the intro).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The back 75% of FEAR 1 takes place in the Armacham building in one evening, which itself is essentially already the setting for Die Hard.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Samuringa posted:

Spec-Ops is in a single day, isn't it?

I’m assuming you mean The Line because that’s the only one anyone ever talks about but that’s a franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

It's over a few days not a few hours, but The Last Express takes place entirely on a train and everything happens in (accelerated) real-time.