Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not as if losing a man has slowed them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Even with 14 men New Zealand make it look like they have 20 players on the pitch.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
And another knee to a tryscorer unpunished, Nigel Owen has been overall good, but very lenient on foul play.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Pail Ale posted:

Owens is a good ref... (I'll keep saying it)

No!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland win the last ten minutes 14-12.

Pail Ale
Jul 3, 2007

Bucket Beer
Pillbug

Smorgasbord posted:

And another knee to a tryscorer unpunished, Nigel Owen has been overall good, but very lenient on foul play.

But still better than all the rubbish we've seen this far in the wc.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
How were those chucklefucks ever ranked the top team in the world?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Stockdale has been Seriously found out today

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
ABs in the Semis next weekend and the Makos in the final

Yassss

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Excellent win by New Zealand in the end. All reset for Ireland now with Schmidt going on his way.

Pail Ale
Jul 3, 2007

Bucket Beer
Pillbug
Very keen to see Sunday's games

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

bessantj posted:

Excellent win by New Zealand in the end. All reset for Ireland now with Schmidt going on his way.

Unfortunately its Farrell stepping up a position from the current coaching team, so I'm not sure we can expect the shake up that's needed.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Really nice post-match from Best, the crowd really love him.

Pail Ale
Jul 3, 2007

Bucket Beer
Pillbug
Daawwww

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

bigfoot again posted:

Stockdale has been Seriously found out today

He's one of the best in the world going forward but his defense is, uh, not good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mrenda posted:

Unfortunately its Farrell stepping up a position from the current coaching team, so I'm not sure we can expect the shake up that's needed.

Well once you get shot of him it'll be happy days ahead.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Really is the RWC for depressing retirements for good players.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lump in the throat for that Best post match interview.

Pail Ale
Jul 3, 2007

Bucket Beer
Pillbug

bessantj posted:

Lump in the throat for that Best post match interview.

He's an absolute sweety. I'll miss him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"We're here with a very happy Steve Hansen...."

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013

Jono C posted:

How were those chucklefucks ever ranked the top team in the world?

it's almost like putting expectations of any sort on an international Ireland team is going to extra doom them to failure, on top of the quarter-final curse that pervades all sports involving this dumb island.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Scrum looked shaky a few times, not sure if that bodes well against England.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ireland poo poo;

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Mrenda posted:

I'm not sure Ireland tried anything different in the Japan game, and my point was Japan, through their training for most of the year, could come out playing an entirely new gameplan and to an ability they hadn't done before. Ireland's first time trying anything intricate with their backs came in this game. They should have been playing in the same manner for all their games, possibly since the Six Nations, without showing their full plan, as they seemingly tried to hide their intent to keep video analysis out of it..

Ireland under Schmidt tend to resist off-loading, and have a low-risk gameplan built around starving the opposition of possession, and grinding their defence down until it cracks. It's efficient and was clearly effective (although it had been worked out - despite losing, the All Blacks spent the last quarter on attack in Dublin last year, and both Eddie Jones and Warren Gatland had found a way to navigate this). They go left to right, with a carefully regimented pod structure. Against Japan, they started off-loading, and were getting quite a bit of mileage out of kicks from hand to the right side of the Japanese 22, before their entire structure collapsed in on itself and they ended up on the wrong end of the 19-12 scoreline.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
So, predictions for tomorrow?

I'd dearly love Japan to best South Africa, but I don't see it happening.

Wales - France is a total ??? for me.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

slothrop posted:

Wales all the way.

Great pic:

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Ireland under Schmidt tend to resist off-loading, and have a low-risk gameplan built around starving the opposition of possession, and grinding their defence down until it cracks. It's efficient and was clearly effective (although it had been worked out - despite losing, the All Blacks spent the last quarter on attack in Dublin last year, and both Eddie Jones and Warren Gatland had found a way to navigate this). They go left to right, with a carefully regimented pod structure. Against Japan, they started off-loading, and were getting quite a bit of mileage out of kicks from hand to the right side of the Japanese 22, before their entire structure collapsed in on itself and they ended up on the wrong end of the 19-12 scoreline.

The kicking was brought in in the warm up games, but it wasn't as drastic a change as we saw today. It worked against Italy (and they used the offloading a little too,) and was used sparingly against Wales (not at all against England.) They were particular strike moves (I personally think being practiced in isolation, and not with the whole player movements) and didn't come into complete use today. Sexton played far more with the ball, and our one out pods weren't used for repeated phase play instead preferring to go wide. Similarly we used our wings beyond the cross-kick in this game after Stockdale and Earls had almost no wide movement in previous games, instead coming into the line or being used on the blindside.

Yes, you're right, there were signs of it before, but never it all put together. That's a flaw, they didn't have the full set of tools put together in any real games. Ireland played pieces in isolation, hoping for it all to come in as one for this game. It was a huge mistake to do that.

Pail Ale
Jul 3, 2007

Bucket Beer
Pillbug
I really hope that Japan's rapid gameplay and cohesiveness will help them against the sb. Weight to weight it'll be a tough match

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

slothrop posted:

I don't think Wales will be particularly troubled by the French.

Also, heart says Japan, head says South Africa. That said, I don't think it'll be a walkover for the Boks. I mean, theoretically, it's a test match between the 6th and 5th ranked teams in the world, so there shouldn't be much between them, right?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 19, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Please make this the rugby thread background.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
I haven't seen the Aus-Eng match yet altho I know the result. Importantly did Cheika lose his poo poo partially or completely afterwards?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Slumfrog posted:

I haven't seen the Aus-Eng match yet altho I know the result. Importantly did Cheika lose his poo poo partially or completely afterwards?

Only partly. He was just a bit sad and grumpy in his little purple blazer

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

It's here if you want to watch it: https://twitter.com/rugbyworldcup/status/1185485967752347650

Dunno if I'm hearing right but it sounds like he actually says "I'm loving so disappointed"

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 19, 2019

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
The true tragedy is the lack of a thermonuclear take from Cheika after that match.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

bigfoot again posted:

Only partly. He was just a bit sad and grumpy in his little purple blazer

Booo. Ah well, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

I only saw Michael Jones when he was old and broken, but from what I've heard would current Ardie Savea be a good comparison to him in his prime (era adjusted)?

bigfoot again posted:

I think Ardie’s more of a ball carrier but Jones was unbelievably good at the general loose forward studd

The thing about Michael Jones is that he seemed like he was already era adjusted.
He never seemed flashy when I saw him play but just played at a level *better than everyone else in rugby*.

If you brought him forward in time to today he'd be like Warburton or Pocock or McCaw and just as good as them.

In the 90s it seemed like he'd been sent from the future.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Looking forward to the England-NZ semi. As a Brit I think we have not more than a 20% chance of progressing but it should be a good match if Farrell kicks as well as he did today.

Really looking forward to Japan vs SA tomorrow - SA massive favourites but really hoping for Japan to pull off a miracle. If they somehow do I'd rate them favourites to get it the final vs either of Wales or France based on momentum.

GooseLoon
Jul 21, 2003
My buttocks are unequivocal

Flayer posted:

Looking forward to the England-NZ semi. As a Brit I think we have not more than a 20% chance of progressing but it should be a good match if Farrell kicks as well as he did today.

Really looking forward to Japan vs SA tomorrow - SA massive favourites but really hoping for Japan to pull off a miracle. If they somehow do I'd rate them favourites to get it the final vs either of Wales or France based on momentum.

I think you're being a bit hard on your team. The stuff.co.nz forecast has it at around 60%-40% in favour of NZ which is probably not too far off the mark, i'd have it closer to 55-45. Not quite a coin toss but very little in it. I don't think that's a reflection of skill because this is a very good England side but more that of the ABs have a lot more experience in dealing with the pressure at this end of the tournament (Read and Whitelock into their third successive RWC semifinals).

Whichever team wins though is going to be quite bruised by the time the final rolls around, though - moreso than SA or Wales. It reminds me of the 2015 final where the Aussies were running on fumes by the time they got there. $4.50 at the TAB for RSA to win the Cup isn't a bad punt.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So no team that's lost to Japan in the Pool Stages has gone on to win the World Cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
The only bonus from today is that my England-NZ-Wales-Japan accumulator is still on, obviously japan is the biggest risk but my gambler hardon for Glorious Nippon is still raging.

The boks going 6-2 for their bench kind of plays into my whole belief that they'll get caught up in trying to bully a Japan te⁸am that is devoid of ego- they don't give a gently caress that you think their pack is trash. Japan have the ability to shift the point of attack at will, with super high skills and serious pace on the fringes. Otoh South Africa have Kolbe, a straight up gangster, and the sort of pack that looks like the Uruk-Hai compared to the English Orks of 03.

I honestly think Japan will pull it out tomorrow, they have the accuracy and the skill and come with some serious ballers(who's world XV wouldn't have Himeno and Fukouka in it?) that push them over the brink from pretenders to contenders.

Ya cannae fuckin hit what ya cant catch, uppa Japan, make some history :getin: