Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dan not liking Death Stranding was basically predetermined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I looked at his twitter and didn't see anything. Did he not like Metal Gear Solid games? (I don't know who he is apart from 'giant bomb' which I don't know)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

redreader posted:

I looked at his twitter and didn't see anything. Did he not like Metal Gear Solid games? (I don't know who he is apart from 'giant bomb' which I don't know)

He loved Metal Gear Solid, but mostly for the action movie stuff and not so much the.. politics.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
For context for those who don't know about Dan. Dan Ryckert is a gigantic Metal Gear Solid fan (though he plays it like a full on action game sometimes and eschews stealth) and is usually on board with Kojima's insane plots. My take on the matter makes it sound like Death Stranding is more subdued and perhaps more cerebral than what Dan was expecting, which is "cool guy doing cool guy poo poo".

Like Funky Valentine said, it was basically determined he wouldn't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-MumnqyFgk

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 19, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dan Ryckert played through MGS4, Peace Walker, and Revengeance and had to have explained to him that Kojima sometimes delves into some political themes.

New Dan is more adjusted than Old Dan, but he is still Dan "Wait, Pirates Stole poo poo?" Ryckert.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Funky Valentine posted:

Dan Ryckert played through MGS4, Peace Walker, and Revengeance and had to have explained to him that Kojima sometimes delves into some political themes.

New Dan is more adjusted than Old Dan, but he is still Dan "Wait, Pirates Stole poo poo?" Ryckert.

He watched Mother! and said that he wouldn't have seen the allegory if he wasn't primed for it.

He likes metal gear because it's about cool guys shooting stuff. This isn't a game about shooting stuff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

Gonna post this gem again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=554rGtDSAms&t=387s

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't remember if I've posted it before or if anyone else has predicted this but my big feeling looking at footage of Norman Reedus running around is that the terrain being so featureless makes it look really destructible. I bet you can make Voidouts happen

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. the problem with 4 was all the hype built up around it after the story conclusion of 2 and how deep 3 mechanic wise. instead it was kinda all over the place. DS being a new IP doesn't have to worry about that stuff. it can be as weird as it wants and people want that.

4 was just a product of all the advancements from the 2 previous games. Near-insta camo change and over the shoulder shooting. One of the biggest time wasters of 3 was changing your camo over and over. Which was pretty sweet but it did take time to adjust. 2 and 3 had the delayed shifting into first person mode to shoot while 4 had over the shoulder which was pretty much superior(looking up things about Subsistance and apparently had the first version of this but I never used it).

4 felt pretty simple to complete no kills/no alerts, pretty much from playing Substance and Subsistance. I would really have to give more credit to Substance training MGS gameplay, with all the optional missions.

Still consider 3/4 the pinnacle of the series. 4 said it best, "The world would be better without snakes". Kojima just had to make 5.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Pylons posted:

Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb has hinted that he's absolutely not enjoying it, but also he ended up really hating RDR2, so take that as you will.

I disliked RDR2 as well. Hope I like this.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm hoping it's ludicrously slow and contemplative. I want to cross mountains for an hour without seeing even a glimmer of combat. Just endlessly march across a tundra listening to chilled out music.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can experience that for yourself now, it's called going outside!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm hoping it's ludicrously slow and contemplative. I want to cross mountains for an hour without seeing even a glimmer of combat. Just endlessly march across a tundra listening to chilled out music.

Hell yeah. Can't wait to walk for an hour to deliver something and then fall in a river and lose it all.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I do! Endless infinity trudges are v much my thing. But if this game is what I hope it is I can do it without temporarily crippling myself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

Uh no? That's where the sun is? :confused:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah but there's ticks and poo poo out there and also I'm not Norman Reedus.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

exquisite tea posted:

You’re not allowed to lawfully pee wherever you want outside and mushrooms don’t immediately pop up if you do!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
also climbing up 1000 feet hills is a lot easier when my avatar does it

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Pylons posted:

Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb has hinted that he's absolutely not enjoying it, but also he ended up really hating RDR2, so take that as you will.

Have you considered that he may be disingenuous.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Have you considered that he may be disingenuous.

I mean, that's possible, but I don't really think it's likely.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Spoilers are going around, both obvious fakes and real ones. Sadly, not even the real ones seem to mention if the game is fun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you want this game to be fun then lol I've got bad news.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
idk. i feel like the game is probably gonna be a "deeper" mgs5 but with tons of weird additional gameplay mechanics. some that work really well and some that are there because kojima saw a dog take a piss and fever brain made new mechanics.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
kojima usually gets the main mechanics right. i think it'll come down to whether they nail the main traversal gameplay. if it's fun to just run around i think it will end up being something special.

the thing that stands out about kojima's games is the animations are super fast. people mention they look janky but i think it's very deliberate to make everything feel responsive.
i'm optimistic because death stranding looks the same way in the gameplay videos.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Someone correct me, but we also haven't seen any gameplay in Hades (apart from some short seconds in the trailers). So we know nothing about the realm you go to once you die apart from that it's filled with war, skeleton soldiers and tanks wrapped in flesh and tentacles.

I would have to dig out the source, but (waaay) back IIRC Kojima said something like: "once you die, you not only affect all other players by creating a crater, but you'll also have to go through another world to come back".

If this is pulled off pretty well - like Hades beeing something you really don't want to be in, and long for the "let's use some ladders to get up there"-gameplay - it could make the game pretty great, and the possibility of getting cought by the BTs really threatening. No loading screen or "let's load the lase save", but beeing forced to play through some war only to come back to the actually storyline. Some scenes of the trailers, imo, also show that you have to die/go to Hades.

If pulled of right, it could really be awesome. I mean, everybody who playes Soulsborne games knows how - at the beginning - dying is the last thing you want to do, because it puts a lot of stress on you (get your souls back etc.). If it puts you into a realm which is truly frightening, and you can't just load the last savepoint, I could see a similar thing happening, and it would fit the reports of the game beeing pretty creepy and stressing.

All wishfull thinking, of course, but I am pretty hyped for it. It could be something really good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah, in one of the interviews Kojima said something along the lines of there's no traditional game over. Even if you die the game continues which sounds pretty fun if done right, since restarting always kills the immersion a bit.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ymgve posted:

Spoilers are going around, both obvious fakes and real ones. Sadly, not even the real ones seem to mention if the game is fun.

They've all been fake, it turns out.

There is a dude posting out of context screenshots tho

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is he the one that cooked egg shells in a pan when someone said he should eat only the egg whites?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Is he the one that cooked egg shells in a pan when someone said he should eat only the egg whites?

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oREbt_qfmXo

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Jesus Christ.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I thought this guy was supposed to be a Metal Gear fan.

Everyone who's played 4 knows how to cook eggs, dammit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm pretty sure Dan has gone on record as skipping through all cutscenes in every game he's played.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I thought this was the only guy on the internet to really make that egg white mistake. This was a somethingawful forums moment. Wait for it.

https://youtu.be/OERZ8Pqs9iU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm pretty sure Dan has gone on record as skipping through all cutscenes in every game he's played.

My mortal gaming enemy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Blind Rasputin posted:

I thought this was the only guy on the internet to really make that egg white mistake. This was a somethingawful forums moment. Wait for it.

https://youtu.be/OERZ8Pqs9iU

what the gently caress am i watching and why can i not turn away

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve read some of the impressions. It’s all so mixed but in general it seems like most of my concerns have been validated.

Game will be love it or hate it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sucks that your concerns got validated dude. I’m really sorry about that

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net cafe scandal posted:

Sucks that your concerns got validated dude. I’m really sorry about that

I’m doubting the game will be higher that low 80s metacritic. It sucks but that’s the way it is.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Game is going to own just play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JBP posted:

Game is going to own just play it

I’m hoping it is good. Im still day one. But I’m fearful this could be a disaster worse than anything that the PlayStation nation has faced since The Order 1886.