Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://i.imgur.com/E8VOv7i.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
That’s so adorable.
Who’s that?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone's hamster, saw it on imgur

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/teJvkvL.gifv

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

https://i.imgur.com/c64NfSi.gif

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
So much cuteness on this page :3:

I decided to try Hamster Mail just to try some new items we can't get here in 'Merica :911:

The items I received for the July box were well received, especially the Dandelion sticks. Dipper and Waffle were all about them. The Palm Leaf bowl that was part of the summer mocktail was the surprise item I didn't know I needed as Waffle started the habit of chewing on his food dish when he couldn't find his favorite pieces. So now instead of chewing on ceramic he can chew on something better for his teeth.

I signed up for 3 boxes, so hopefully after I get the last one I will have a fairly good idea of what my Hams enjoy and I can just buy the favorites online instead of having a monthly mystery box.

I should also introduce Poké.

My wife saw her when we went to pick up some supplies and fell in love with her. Poké is full energy and climbs absolutely everything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Poke is adorable!

I just discovered this Lego Friends set: HAMSTER PLAYGROUND

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=41383-1#T=S&O={%22ss%22:%22US%22,%22rpp%22:%22100%22,%22iconly%22:0}

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Captain Invictus posted:

Poke is adorable!

I just discovered this Lego Friends set: HAMSTER PLAYGROUND

I'm not so sure about the jump hoop, but the mini hamster zamboni is spot on.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I ended up with a hedgehog over the weekend, by proxy of a farm animal rescue getting him and needing him to go to another rescue. So I have him now. Do we have a hoggie thread?

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Post hog :v:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Please post the 30-50oz feral hog

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's a hell of an obscure reference

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, I wish I could get my hams to make nests in a visible spot like this. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIRIzL6ttj8&hd=1

gothy
Sep 26, 2019
So I've got 4 guinea pigs, though I guess they're goonea pigs now.
this is zach (the black one), and Claire (the one who looks like a hedgehog).
cba with proper external hosting so just deal with the embeds.

https://twitter.com/gothycrip/status/1178462092090892289/photo/1
this was just the pen they had when I was introducing them, not their actual home.

this is Angus (the whitey) and Shani (the toupee)
https://twitter.com/gothycrip/status/1178462092090892289/photo/2

and another one of Angie looking real happy. He's developed a head tilt and dizziness because he's blind, but the vet says there's nowt wrong with him and he wheeks like there's no tomorrow so thats all that matters.
[urlhttps://twitter.com/gothycrip/status/1178462092090892289/photo/3[/url]

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is a rodent so it goes here, but, uh, is this what capybaras sound like? That squeaking noise throughout the video? I noticed the capybara's abdomen contracting in time with the squeaking near the end, which is what made me think that's the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwcJsBYL3o&hd=1

I know I couldn't have one as a pet, but capybaras seem awesome in every instance I've seen them.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Never got gonna love the capybara chillin with its piggo bretheren.

https://youtu.be/SZsRxF6Zjhw

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You have some very round and adorable pigges

Captain Invictus posted:

This is a rodent so it goes here, but, uh, is this what capybaras sound like? That squeaking noise throughout the video? I noticed the capybara's abdomen contracting in time with the squeaking near the end, which is what made me think that's the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwcJsBYL3o&hd=1

I know I couldn't have one as a pet, but capybaras seem awesome in every instance I've seen them.

Yeah that is what they sound like.

Capy's seem chill af but I also think having one as a pet is kinda lovely. They are wild animals and, much like guinea pigs, are herd nerds. I guess I've seen a few people on youtube and what not that have more than one but, ehhhhhhh. Just rescue a bunch of guinea pigs that need homes vs encouraging people to breed/sell capybaras, imho.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

All the gpigs I have met have exuded anxiety while all the capys I have encountered lower my heart rate just by being within 50 ft so in a perfect world I would like the capy please. 8 of them lounging in a pond in my garden.

Actually even my hams make me nervous, I don't know why I love rodents so much when we're just creating little twitchy anxiety whirlpools together and nobody sleeps at night.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Never got gonna love the capybara chillin with its piggo bretheren.

https://youtu.be/SZsRxF6Zjhw

Pretty sure that's the petting zoo in Tokyo close to Ghibli museum?
Had a nice time at the Guinea pig section. Don't like zoos otherwise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

teenytinymouse posted:

and nobody sleeps at night.
I explicitly have to take away my hamster's wheels and stuff before I go to sleep every night because otherwise the instant the lights go out it's "overturn everything and bang it against the glass for literally eight hours straight"

I have silent runner wheels and caught Coco just straight up grabbing the base of it with her teeth and flipping the whole dang thing over despite it weighing more than she does

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I explicitly have to take away my hamster's wheels and stuff before I go to sleep every night because otherwise the instant the lights go out it's "overturn everything and bang it against the glass for literally eight hours straight"

I have silent runner wheels and caught Coco just straight up grabbing the base of it with her teeth and flipping the whole dang thing over despite it weighing more than she does

Oh no, wheel noise is FINE, I have two saucers and two of the trixie wooden wheels and they are just a pleasant white noise (cannot recommend those wooden trixies hard enough)

It's any other noise they make I imagine they've fallen over dead or caught the plague or something. Or if they make no noise at all they've definitely died.

I put rocks and/ or bendy bridges between the base and the wheel when I had plastic ones to stop them banging them about. They need the wheel at night like so taking it out is a bit mean.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I leave it in all night while I'm at work and any time I'm not sleeping or around, they can handle not having it for a little bit so I can get actual uninterrupted sleep. :v:

She's not interested in running in it most of the time anyways, the first thing she generally does with it is flip it over and stand on it like "what now?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We've always used exercise balls for our hamsters. It evidently gives them all the running around they need, because almost none of them have used their wheel for anything other than coded communication to say "I'd like some out, please".

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Are these wheels big enough lads

I accidentally blocked my old man's wheel one night and he went mental monkey barring and dropping himself from the ceiling for literally hours. I was very apologetic when I realised, I thought he was having a breakdown.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I considered a exercise ball once, but with 3 dogs... I can't imagine it would go well.

The giant wheel I got for my dude is pretty great, the only noise is his little feet on the metal.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I think balls should be a last resort tbh. They can't really see or sniff or explore anything so it's basically a wheel that bangs into stuff, breaks open and can fall down stairs or yeah turn into a football for the puppos.

Tho after losing two charging cables in two weeks and finding a hole in a brand new bra I did consider never letting any of mine free roam again :argh:

Pico has cataracts now as well as a big fatty lump but she's still the very best girl. A bit more nervy maybe.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

teenytinymouse posted:

Tho after losing two charging cables in two weeks and finding a hole in a brand new bra I did consider never letting any of mine free roam again :argh:

I had a great pig who I lost earlier in the year who absolutely loved to run around the house, exploring everything, was super adventurous, didn't poop/pee on anything, didn't chew on things (much...). I have attempted to foster this behavior in my new herd and all they do is sit in the same spot looking terrified. I try to tempt them with treats and pets and encouragement and they just sit there staring at me.

:mad:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Sirotan posted:

I had a great pig who I lost earlier in the year who absolutely loved to run around the house, exploring everything, was super adventurous, didn't poop/pee on anything, didn't chew on things (much...). I have attempted to foster this behavior in my new herd and all they do is sit in the same spot looking terrified. I try to tempt them with treats and pets and encouragement and they just sit there staring at me.

:mad:

Idiot babies :kimchi: I hope they will learn eventually

Doing the dumb thing browsing Gumtree today and there's a lovely little lady Syrian in the tiniest bullshit cage near me and I'm going to need handcuffed. Five is too many five is too many five is too many

Edit: I messaged and was too late anyway. Hope the little man lands on his feet :(

teenytinymouse fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 4, 2019

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What site do we use to upload pics these days? I need to post some of my piggie Penpen; she was dropped off at the humane society last year because of a tumor, and our cat/dog rescue asked if anyone would foster/hospice her. I volunteered, and took Penelope home. She is now called Penpen and barely does the cavy squeals unless I am late with her food.

I remember when I first got her, I'd wrap baby salad and cukes in a paper towel and make her tear it up to get it. Oh, she hated having to earn her food! Now she throws a fit if I just toss a handful in, she wants a puzzle, damnit!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cowslips Warren posted:

What site do we use to upload pics these days? I need to post some of my piggie Penpen; she was dropped off at the humane society last year because of a tumor, and our cat/dog rescue asked if anyone would foster/hospice her. I volunteered, and took Penelope home. She is now called Penpen and barely does the cavy squeals unless I am late with her food.

I remember when I first got her, I'd wrap baby salad and cukes in a paper towel and make her tear it up to get it. Oh, she hated having to earn her food! Now she throws a fit if I just toss a handful in, she wants a puzzle, damnit!

Imgur's still the go-to.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really wish my hamsters were this happy about being pet but they're basically always in the "AAAAAAH BIG SHADOW FROM ABOVE RUN AWAYYYY" mentality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNmdg4tudB8&hd=1

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Captain Invictus posted:

I really wish my hamsters were this happy about being pet but they're basically always in the "AAAAAAH BIG SHADOW FROM ABOVE RUN AWAYYYY" mentality.

Aww that video is adorable. It really seems to be luck of the draw with things like this. Pokč will always run up to the front of her cage whenever someone is there, she tolerates being petted, but trying to pick her up is difficult as she gets easily over stimulated and tends to pee as a result. Dipper is the polar opposite, he hates being out in the open and will just dart between his hiding spots. Dipper however will climb into a sleeve if offered, so I usually have him under my shirt so he stays calm.

Offering treats whenever you interact with them helps to an extent, but their personality will win out over training every time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://imgur.com/a/1VzHXyj

I couldn't figure out how to do thumbnails so I hope this works! Meet Urchin my hedgehog.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

https://imgur.com/a/1VzHXyj

I couldn't figure out how to do thumbnails so I hope this works! Meet Urchin my hedgehog.

HELLO URCHIN!!

What a wee sweetheart :3

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Posting this here mainly for sanity checking, hoping you all could give me some good input, sorry for the long post:

A little over a year ago, I last posted after I put my Chinese hamster, Bui Bui to sleep. She lasted three healthy years before a growth in her abdomen clearly was causing her pain and distress. I have since gotten a bunny at the insisting of my girlfriend, which finally helped me stop crying over Bui Bui.. mostly. Then I realized it was also in part a collective guilt I've carried about hamsters I had as a child/teen, and all their deaths.

I told my girlfriend about how they all died, and she thought it all seemed too suspicious and odd to be 'natural' - something I never considered, but now I'm wondering if this is actually true. I've had a lot of hamsters but only one died of old age (I assume). The rest died mainly in 'clusters', and I guess what I'm asking is as rodent/hamster owners yourselves, does this seem out of the ordinary to you for rodents and I'm just filling my head with crazy ideas, or does it actually seem odd?

Hamsters as a child: These were albino hamsters, a mother and father pair mistakenly believed to both be female, which then had a litter.

- Mother had a hard dark growth (tumor?) that grew in her ear. Found dead one morning. Maybe about a year old.
- Female hamster that drank water excessively and had low energy. Probably had diabetes. Found her even weaker and with less energy, died shortly after. Maybe a year old.
- Male hamster that had a very large tumor grow hear his backside. Lasted a while but also found dead one morning. A little over a year old.
- Father had a lot of fur missing, eventually seemed very weak one day. Dead the next morning. Over a year old.
- Female hamster that also had a small growth in her ear, smaller than her mother's. Lasted maybe a year and a half. Found one afternoon in her cage, eyes closed in pain, opening her mouth several times in pain, watched her die after several minutes.

My mother said the tumors were all because of incest from the mother/father, and nothing could be done to treat them. Same for diabetes, no treatment. Buried the hamsters in secret because I was told not to burden my mother by my father. Most of the hamsters when they grew tumors or showed signs of sickness were also kept in tiny plastic bins until they died.
I think this was mostly just outright neglect rather than suspicious, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hamsters as a teenager: These were mainly Russian dwarves, again a mother/father pair put together, producing a litter. The pet store gave us the mother and litter so they didn't have to deal with it. There was also another Russian dwarf obtained separately, an albino, teddy bear, and black bear hamster. These deaths I think are more suspicious.

- The mother was found dead, drowned in a shallow pool of water. It was summer and rather than turn on the AC, to save money, my mother put a little plastic container with ice water to keep the hamsters cool. It was shallow enough that if a hamster went in/fell in for some reason, it could easily get out. However, the mother was still found in there one morning, wet and dead. Had her for four months before dying.
- Two male hamsters drank from a little container of soy milk my mother started feeding the hamsters. It was always fine until one day, two of them both seemed to choke(?) on the milk upon drinking and became very lethargic. They lost all their energy and never recovered - one died that night, the other died the following night. Other hamsters were okay drinking soy milk until that point, so unsure why those two suddenly got sick. They were about a year old.
- One female hamster started having fluid buildup on one side of her abdomen. About a week passed and she was now so sick, she was emaciated. She died that day. Also about a year old. Girlfriend suggested it sounded like liver failure.
- Two male hamsters simultaneously got sick. One of them was suddenly just slumping one day - it seemed he lost function of his limbs. My mother suggested it was due to some friends who visited the day before (or it might have been the same night), and their loud voices had stressed the hamsters out. Later my parents clarified it was a stroke. He sat there unmoving because he couldn't, and if I held him on my hand, his eyes would bulge like crazy - my father got annoyed and said holding him made it worse. He died overnight. I can't remember what happened to the other male hamster, but he also died shortly after. They were at least a year and some months old. My girlfriend suggested this does not sound like a stroke, but she is talking from the perspective of humans.
- Another male hamster deteriorated and became weak. Died after about a year and a half. Unsure why he died, no outward signs of apparent illness, just got weak and died.
- Separate female Russian hamster. Not more than a month or so when getting her. Lasted a few months before getting sick - unsure what the sickness was, but I think it was suggested it was a hamster cold. She grew thin, her fur coat looked damp, and her eyes closed as she would move her legs about, trying to move, but clearly dying. My mom yelled at me and said it was my fault. Said it was because I didn't clean her cage enough. I asked if we could take her to the vet. My mom said that wouldn't have helped and it'd also cost money. Her cage was cleaned the same as the others, but felt like I killed her. Died at a few months.
- Female hamster from the litter, last survivor. Almost made it to two years but got a growth on her abdomen. Found her one evening, sitting on top of plastic stairs, looking pained. Died shortly after that evening.
- Teddy bear hamster also lasted almost two years, also got a fluid buildup in her abdomen. Also obese cause her cage was too small and she couldn't run on the wheel. I think she was my dad's favorite, so she was the only hamster that got taken to the vet, but died while there overnight.
- Black bear hamster, also lasted almost two years, but seemed to have hit old age? Did not look physically old. Seemed confused, started to freak out when we'd try to touch her, died a few days later. Mother yelled at me because I was out with friends the afternoon she died, said I was thoughtless.
- Albino hamster, lasted a little over a year and a half. Very energetic until one day, she also was suddenly lethargic seeming and weak. She had a cage surrounded by these bars that she would chew on - my mother said she got lead poisoning from chewing this. Died about a day later.

Other than the teddy, none of the hamsters were taken to a vet. Suggestions to was met with being told that cost money, and that it wouldn't help them anyway so it was a waste. We were not poor. Writing all this out, I'm still not sure if I'm just crazy to think something else may have happened here, or if they actually did just die of hamsterly, incestuous causes. Any input would be really appreciated. :) I don't know if knowing an answer will finally help me with the guilt I've carried for two decades or stop the nightmares of finding hamsters I've left dying and neglected for years (Bui Bui is now part of that :( ) but I'm hoping it'll make progress towards something.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I honestly dont know what you're asking.

Are you wondering if there is a common thread in your care that is causing sickness and early deaths? You don't mention anything about your care standards.

It is plausible that hams die young, from tumours or other illnesses due to terrible breeding. Not just from one generation but with pet shops hamsters from rodent mills it is never just one generation. Not uncommon at all tbh. You do seem to have a couple of very weird accidents in there but I don't think any of us can really speak to that.

Can confirm that your parents' attitude is super lovely, if that's what you're looking for.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Thanks for the response, sorry if it wasn't very clear - I just wanted to check if this sounded in the normal range for hamsters, especially the weird accidents (unexplained drowning, pair getting sick at the same time twice). I think the care given was pretty standard (clean cages, running space, hamster food mix, etc.) if you exclude the neglect situations named (isolating to tiny containers, no vet care, etc.), but wanted to try and get some thoughts from others who have owned hamsters extensively to tell me if this sounds normal, or too coincidental.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Themata posted:

Thanks for the response, sorry if it wasn't very clear - I just wanted to check if this sounded in the normal range for hamsters, especially the weird accidents (unexplained drowning, pair getting sick at the same time twice). I think the care given was pretty standard (clean cages, running space, hamster food mix, etc.) if you exclude the neglect situations named (isolating to tiny containers, no vet care, etc.), but wanted to try and get some thoughts from others who have owned hamsters extensively to tell me if this sounds normal, or too coincidental.

The accidents do sound strange but not suspiciously so. Two getting sick together points to something environmental like a contaminant in the food or something in the air. Would probably be impossible to pinpoint in hindsight.

If comparisons are helpful;

Childhood hams;

1. Died of her second stroke, lived a decent time but not to old age
2. Possible torpor death through parental ignorance. Maybe a year old.

Gap of 9-10 years up to 2014...

3. Died within 2 months, probable pyometra. poo poo vet said it was a tumour but I don't think it was.
4. Died after an accident, internal bleeding caused a large haematoma which was managed briefly before she had a stroke and was euthanized. She was at least 2.5, almost 3.
5. No idea. Died in her sleep at about 20 months.
6. Old age, about 2 again. Went bald and blind but carried on for months before passing.

All my hams apart from the first two are rescues I got as adults so age is fuzzy and all but the last one are female syrians (I have a type). I've had 4 syrian girls in 5 years which... I guess is a lot? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Thanks again. You're right that trying to pinpoint anything now wouldn't do much good. Barring the weird coincidences, I guess the poor little critters are just far too susceptible to a non-peaceful death. :(