Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Midjack posted:

i forget, did anyone ever determine who the bearwhale was?

Theories due to the timing are most likely the hackers that drained MGOX accounts cause they were perfect in everyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Little Death posted:

I can't get enough about how they personify these abstract market moves. Gaps being explored by bears, currencies being suppresed, price moves up and then down being failed battles.

technical analysis kookiness is rly endearing :allears:

that's a pretty boring mundane one tho. in the past some real schizo ones have been posted.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

"bullish crab pattern"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bulgakov posted:

"bullish crab pattern"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
what i really miss are the rainbow graphs

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wheany posted:

what i really miss are the rainbow graphs

:rodtronics:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i joined a blockchain project that involves a couple actual companies and no one has any idea wtf

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

unpacked robinhood posted:

i joined a blockchain project that involves a couple actual companies and no one has any idea wtf

Hope you look forward to sleeping in storage units like pleasurekevin did when he got a job in crypto

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Thank goodness bitcoin is above 8000 today and will never go below 8000 ever again

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Bulgakov posted:

technical analysis kookiness is rly endearing :allears:

that's a pretty boring mundane one tho. in the past some real schizo ones have been posted.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:perfect:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's funny, because it's true!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

itanium sales projections dot png

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Chris, please add me to your LinkedIn network

Hi Chris,
I'm Hyperledger training coordinator @Altoros. We help engineers to boost their skillset and develop blockchain products. We are gathering the group for quick-start blockchain training in Vancouver, on November 13-15. Please let me know if you'd be interested to learn more. Thanks!

Julianne Voryk
Training Coordinator at Altoros
Belarus

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

@Altross

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

that's when they fork the law chain to one where Ross isn't in jail right? the prison nodes don't seem to be accepting it.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

:wow:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

Chris, please add me to your LinkedIn network

Hi Chris,
I'm Hyperledger training coordinator @Altoros. We help engineers to boost their skillset and develop blockchain products. We are gathering the group for quick-start blockchain training in Vancouver, on November 13-15. Please let me know if you'd be interested to learn more. Thanks!

Julianne Voryk
Training Coordinator at Altoros
Belarus

i didn't know vancouver was in belarus

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

i didn't know vancouver was in belarus

It's all part of Lukashenko's plan.
https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2019-09-09---lukashenko-announced-his-readiness-to-make-minsk-the-us-capital-in-2021-.BJgAUhQE8H.html

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol magnifique

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the day when nothing happened

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
actually I said buttcoin, but very quietly so nobody would hear

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EorayMel posted:

Hope you look forward to sleeping in storage units like pleasurekevin did when he got a job in crypto

I thought it was dank

We've had a couple meetings which generally revolve around brainstorming workarounds to the nature of a blockchain.
They want to share data between a few separate corporate entities but aren't sure which consensus model they should go for. They'll probably setup a central authority to distribute keys which I think is the default state of corporate blockchain projects and not very blockchain-y ?

The main characters are the compliance and security guy (yells a lot) and the main blockchain dude (knows it's retarded but gets paid).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZNEzzDcllU
Does this mean bitcoin will die soon?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Paladinus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZNEzzDcllU
Does this mean bitcoin will die soon?

when that paper came up in the security thread there were a few things that kinda showed it wasn't quite ready for prime time, specifically that they didn't actually run any quantum algorithms on the chip, they just ran some statistical tests on it that showed it did something quantum-y. now they have to get it to reliably run iterative programs, and expand it to have enough qbits to do shor's algorithm on a real life key, and then build enough of them of course. i'd probably guess like, 10 years for that to happen, but i have no idea really, technology is unpredictable. however if i were a bit coin i would be getting nervous right about now, yeah.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Unfortunately not, Bitcoin is reasonably resistant to attacks using quantum computers. Mining doesn't benefit a whole lot and transition signing uses elliptic curves and hashes, which together are also reasonably resistant to quantum computers.

Maybe some of the old transactions (which used a different way of signing without hashes) could be brute-forced. I would like to see that, both to get some of the old Satoshi butts in circulation to do some magic to the price, and to gently caress over Dr Craig S. :wrong:

Bunch of shitcoins probably use RSA which is hosed if quantum computers.

klafbang fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 23, 2019

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

unpacked robinhood posted:

I thought it was dank

i think dank was the guy on bitcointalk that wanted to host some kind of bitcoin music festival where we would all ascend to the next level and become bitcoin. i think i remember that he got people to loan him butts for the project then never paid them back.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Even if it weren't resistant to Quantum computing, at this point, quantum chips don't have enough qbits to break complex encryption and the entanglement doesn't stay coherent long enough for particularly deep calculations.

Google's breakthrough is in finally proving that yes, quantum computers do actually have an advantage over regular computers, even if what we can actually calculate using them isn't useful at this point in time.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

klafbang posted:

Maybe some of the old transactions (which used a different way of signing without hashes) could be brute-forced. I would like to see that, both to get some of the old Satoshi butts in circulation to do some magic to the price, and to gently caress over Dr Craig S. :wrong:

a plausible explanation for why he can't access the coins would be like christmas morning to him

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Who sold?!?!? You werent supposed to sell! Why is the price dropping??

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

KnifeWrench posted:

a plausible explanation for why he can't access the coins would be like christmas morning to him

Good point. Now I’m conflicted: break bitcoin or break Craig? It’s impossible to say whether quantum computing is good or bad.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Does 7483 still round up to 8000 10000?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
$7000 is and always has been the definite floor. Bitcoin will never go below that and $7000 clearly rounds to $10000.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Mammon Loves You posted:

Does 7483 still round up to 8000 10000?

only a fudster would not round 7483 up to 100000, which i think you'll find has always been the price of a bitscoin

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
1 bitcoin = 1 bitcoin
:beck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
You gotta know when to hodl them,
Know when to sodl them.