Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Spec-Ops is in a single day, isn't it?

I think Infinite Warfare technically takes place in a very short time frame but the side missions killed my perspective. Still should be a couple of days, at most.

Yeah the end of Infinite Warfare mentions that everything took place over the course of one day but that seems really loving bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Rising and its sequels are probably the most direct representation of the question given that the timespan in which they take place is literally the length of the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the best Die-Hard video-games? As in set in the one locale and takes place in a couple of hours e.g. REsident Evil 2, Arkham Asylum, Metal Gear...

"You see those mountains over there? That's a loving skybox. This is a thinking-man's FPS, not some hiking-simulator built on the goddamn Morrowind engine."

I take it you're not nominating the Die Hard Trilogy game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVovt4dBcOM

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deus Ex takes place over like a night and a half

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Alien: Isolation takes place in real-time (about a day, I guess) and all in one space station. With a metroidvania-style thing where you keep coming back to the same areas but with new tools to unlock previously-inaccessible parts of the level.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

The back 75% of FEAR 1 takes place in the Armacham building in one evening, which itself is essentially already the setting for Die Hard.

I remember playing that when it came out and thinking that would be one exhausting goddamn night.

I’m about to replay it for the first time in more than a decade and I’m excited for my favorite little thing in that game- the finest shotgun in video game history. That thing is like a pissed-off cuisinart. Just turns dudes into red mist and some chunky bits when you get them right.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A weirder example, but apparently Saints Row IV's open world is meant to be styled like it's taking place over one long night. The actual timeframe of the game's events are deliberately vague, but the sky of the simulation changes color over areas you've taken control of, which overall gives the impression by the end that you've been through a really crazy night and are just now seeing the dawn.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
You could always play Die Hard Arcade:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Hard_Arcade

They had this at the boys and girls club I went to as a kid, plugged in in a dusty old corner with unlimited freeplay. You play as John Mcclaine in an extremely explosive Nakatomi tower, and the action itself was fairly sophisticated for a brawler.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Deus Ex takes place over like a night and a half

Flying round the world between missions to always stay in timezones where it's night

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Flying round the world between missions to always stay in timezones where it's night

"I never asked for this."

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

God of War III? You kill the concept of day, but it's still just a few hours.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ilmucche posted:

Half life with its entire lack of cutscenes? I think the surge has no breaks in it.

Doesn't Die Hard rely quite a bit on cutting away from Bruce Willis, to establish context and set up the story? Half life would be the opposite of that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like it when you try random stuff in games and it actually works. Like in Last Guardian, I discovered by chance that using the mirror on the armor actually disables it:

The engine also allows for random stuff to happen, sometimes to your benefit. I knocked down an armor holding a talisman shield and the shield then tumbled down a hole.

I also really liked how the boy is animated. When he jumps he flails about, he will sometimes stumble and if armor is close he will trip nervously.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 12:07 on Oct 20, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In Shenmue II there's a really annoying bit where you have to climb a wrecked building by balancing along planks while doing hard QTEs. Screw up and you fall right to the bottom of the building.

Once you reach your goal your buddy shows up and nonchalantly explains that he just asked for the key to the elevator. Ryo looks more upset than when his father died.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

lol I read that as "Furries" at first and was like, ":hmmyes: sold"

That is iirc why the name was changed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

In Shenmue II there's a really annoying bit where you have to climb a wrecked building by balancing along planks while doing hard QTEs. Screw up and you fall right to the bottom of the building.

Once you reach your goal your buddy shows up and nonchalantly explains that he just asked for the key to the elevator. Ryo looks more upset than when his father died.

A fun qte in Shenmue II is when you're learning martial arts from various guys and one of them is a barber who is teaching you how to remain motionless. He comes at you with a razor while a prompt flashes on screen but you fail if you hit it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

muscles like this! posted:

A fun qte in Shenmue II is when you're learning martial arts from various guys and one of them is a barber who is teaching you how to remain motionless. He comes at you with a razor while a prompt flashes on screen but you fail if you hit it.

Additional fun, repeatedly and intentionally failing that QTE is pretty much the only way to actually game over in Shenmue 2, since every attempt takes a day and the game ends on a certain date if you haven't finished it yet. Iirc you have to spend almost half a year to actually get there though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Control has a telekinesis ability similar to Half-Life 2; you can grab and throw items, with some items having certain effects (being explosive, or used for puzzles) but most of them just being big heavy poo poo you throw at things. But if you've got nothing to throw, then your character will just rip a chunk of rock or concrete out of a nearby wall and throw that.

It just strikes me as a really good way to implement a telekinesis skill. You get the fun of throwing around whatever you can find in the room, but you aren't screwed out of a tool in your arsenal because you can't find something to throw.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hel posted:

Additional fun, repeatedly and intentionally failing that QTE is pretty much the only way to actually game over in Shenmue 2, since every attempt takes a day and the game ends on a certain date if you haven't finished it yet. Iirc you have to spend almost half a year to actually get there though.

I like that both the bad endings in the Shenmue games are Lan Di just showing up and murdering the gently caress out of Ryo. I imagine him impatiently checking in on Ryo through his informants and getting mad that his rival is spending days on end playing OutRun and training up his champion racing duck.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cleretic posted:

Control has a telekinesis ability similar to Half-Life 2; you can grab and throw items, with some items having certain effects (being explosive, or used for puzzles) but most of them just being big heavy poo poo you throw at things. But if you've got nothing to throw, then your character will just rip a chunk of rock or concrete out of a nearby wall and throw that.

It just strikes me as a really good way to implement a telekinesis skill. You get the fun of throwing around whatever you can find in the room, but you aren't screwed out of a tool in your arsenal because you can't find something to throw.

The game also does a really good job at making nearly everything destructible. Every firefight ends with the room looking completely wrecked. The dream of GEO-MOD TECHNOLOGY is alive and well in 2019!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

exquisite tea posted:

The game also does a really good job at making nearly everything destructible. Every firefight ends with the room looking completely wrecked. The dream of GEO-MOD TECHNOLOGY is alive and well in 2019!

I assume that either starts becoming true later in the game (I'm currently not that far in, only just got the Safe after completing Maintenance) or I'm even a neat freak in video games, because so far this has not been true.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

I assume that either starts becoming true later in the game (I'm currently not that far in, only just got the Safe after completing Maintenance) or I'm even a neat freak in video games, because so far this has not been true.

How much are you using the gun vs launch? The gun is relatively neat while Launch just fucks everything up, especially when explosives are involved

There’s some idle chatter near the end of the game where one of the random npcs talks about the cost of future repairs to the place and all I could think to myself was “uuuuuuuuuh, whoops”

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kit Walker posted:

How much are you using the gun vs launch? The gun is relatively neat while Launch just fucks everything up, especially when explosives are involved

There’s some idle chatter near the end of the game where one of the random npcs talks about the cost of future repairs to the place and all I could think to myself was “uuuuuuuuuh, whoops”

Yeah, the guns are good, but I found myself using them as backup while my powers were recharging. It's a lot more fun and productive to base around hurling things at enemies, especially once you start dumping mods and upgrades into those skills. That tends to leave rooms in need of some, uh, deep cleaning once you make it through.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Necrothatcher posted:

I fell down once and went “okay, is there a button combination to reset to the starting menu?”

Lemme pour a forty for all the folks who never realized that was possible. I just know there are people that fell down multiple times and who did it all over again. They might have quit the game right there.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mierenneuker posted:

I fell down once and went “okay, is there a button combination to reset to the starting menu?”

Not that it excuses all the bullshit but i really miss when things was still a thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

JC fleeing Hong Kong just before the sun comes up is always hilarious to me

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Well, I mean JC Denton is a vampire.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The horror game D took place real time 2 hours in a hospital and the PC adventure game Titanic Adventure out of time took place entirely on the famous ship the Lusitania

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hel posted:

Doesn't Die Hard rely quite a bit on cutting away from Bruce Willis, to establish context and set up the story? Half life would be the opposite of that.

Yeah but both take place in the space of a day/evening which is what the original question was about.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

- Control all happens in a single building over the course of what feels like a few hours.
- Hellblade is told almost entirely in one continuous shot from start to finish.
- I suppose God of War (2018) would also count for this, although you end up traversing a lot of land and more than one realm of existence.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Considering the breadth of game settings* you'd have to define "location" pretty carefully. A building? A building with an impossibly gigantic catacombs under it? A sci-fi space station large enough to contain regions that are for all practical purposes outdoors even though the setting says they're not? Does a Star Wars game set on Coruscant count as a single building?

*And movie settings, for that matter

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

exquisite tea posted:

- Control all happens in a single building over the course of what feels like a few hours.

It's definitely over the course of one night. Halloween 2019, to be specific

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
GoW had that scene where Kratos goes into the portal and boy is all like nah Dad you've been gone ages, not a day for sure.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
999 takes place, obviously, in 9 hours in a single location.

Series' weirdness aside, of course.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Polaron posted:

It's definitely over the course of one night. Halloween 2019, to be specific

I was tickled when I found out the exactness of the timing for the game and preceding events, but also a little bit sad that I was out of town when Jesse ran through on her trek across the country last month :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bushmaori posted:

GoW had that scene where Kratos goes into the portal and boy is all like nah Dad you've been gone ages, not a day for sure.

Oh, Atreus is such an exaggerator.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lobok posted:

Oh, Atreus Boy is such an exaggerator.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Finally getting around to Alan Wake after Control piquing my interest in the Remedy games I missed, and it's paying off already - I was enjoying the mechanic of collecting manuscript pieces, when all of a sudden I find a couple from Alan's last book, basically Not Max Payne with James McCaffrey reading out the purple prose :neckbeard:

Honestly the idea of the games sharing a universe (both in references and in actual events) delights me, and I can't wait to play more and see what they come up with next.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

He really does. :allears:
(linked for potential huge)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Mierenneuker posted:

Lemme pour a forty for all the folks who never realized that was possible. I just know there are people that fell down multiple times and who did it all over again. They might have quit the game right there.
Yeah... on my first playthrough of Shenmue II, I didn't realize you could save the game anywhere you wanted. I'd always just save in Ryo's hotel room (or wherever he was staying) each night.

The Ghost Hall Building was an experience, I'll say that much. The main reason the Xbox didn't fly out of the window (aside from the fact it was an original Xbox and would probably kill someone if it landed on them) is that it was my friend's Xbox I was borrowing.