Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

smh at all you guys talking bout movies talking about the economic recession and not mentioning the best one, The Other Guys, a comedy which features graphs about the unbelievable inequality and bullshit in the credits.

the same people who made the other guys made the big short, and now they've made hustlers, which is also about the 2008 crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

is margin call any good?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fleetwood posted:

lmao Werner Herzog is in the new Disney Star Wars bounty hunter show

he was the best part of Jack reacher

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

is margin call any good?

No

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Jenny Agutter posted:

is margin call any good?

it has like 2 good scenes surrounded by 80 minutes of bad scenes imo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

still remembers Minky Momo

what is the ideology of touhou

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Jenny Agutter posted:

I subscribed to the Criterion Channel recently and he's one of the featured directors on there. Finally gonna get to watch his older stuff

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Stairmaster posted:

Probably cryptofascism.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jenny Agutter posted:

What was he doing in Jack Reacher?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
he was a mysterious crime boss who had some bizarre methods of obtaining loyalty

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
He tries to make the dude from Terriers (not Donal Logue, the other one) bite his own fingers off because that’s what he did in Siberia or some poo poo.

It’s alright.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

SCUM Manifesto

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Stairmaster posted:

what's a Minky Momo and why do i get sudden flashes of cities burning and Enochian circles drawn with blood whenever I start to type it into google?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mysterious frankie posted:

what's a Minky Momo and why do i get sudden flashes of cities burning and Enochian circles drawn with blood whenever I start to type it into google?

Minky Momo is a magical girl anime from the 80s. It's notable because the toy makers stopped paying royalties to the animation studio that was producing it, so to get back at them for being ripped off they killed off Minky Momo in the final episode of the season by having her get hit by a truck.

There's also The Curse of Minky Momo, because when that episode aired and every other time the last episode of a Minky Momo season aired - Japan was rocked by catastrophic earthquakes.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Minky Momo is a magical girl anime from the 80s. It's notable because the toy makers stopped paying royalties to the animation studio that was producing it, so to get back at them for being ripped off they killed off Minky Momo in the final episode of the season by having her get hit by a truck.

There's also The Curse of Minky Momo, because when that episode aired and every other time the last episode of a Minky Momo season aired - Japan was rocked by catastrophic earthquakes.

Ohhhhh thats way less pervy than the name made me believe it would be.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It just didn't happen once, it happened multiple times!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fleetwood posted:

lmao Werner Herzog is in the new Disney Star Wars bounty hunter show

Werner Herzog also pop up in Parks and Recreation, Rick and Morty and Penguins of Madagasker. He doesn't give a gently caress.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Frank Ocean had a party called PrEP+ and it sounds like it went well lmao

https://twitter.com/evanrosskatz/status/1185187209378435073

https://twitter.com/mynameisjro/status/1185069222344478720

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

redneck nazgul posted:

what comics were good

genuine question

stand still stay silent is good. though that's a Scandinavian comic. Kill Six Billion Demons is good too. I can't think of any others

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

redneck nazgul posted:

what comics were good

genuine question

Achewood is the goat

Dr McNinja started incredibly one note and wacky nonsense and he managed to yes and himself into a really good and emotional story with a great ending that also involves throwing the pope at the BK King

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

redneck nazgul posted:

what comics were good

genuine question

no comics are good

fun unrelated fact, sluggy freelance still updates

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

no comics are good

No

i refuse to believe and refuse to check

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Big Mad Drongo posted:

No

i refuse to believe and refuse to check
10/16/2019:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I've never gotten bored and stopped reading in the middle of a comic before.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

no comics are good

That guy said he was going to end that comic three years ago.

Naturally, it was all a ruse.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just watched Primal and boy it got weird in the last episode there.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i watched kingdom and it's p good. the crown prince can do no wrong but at least there is a v strong protect all refugees no matter what message and that is something i hope gets slipped into all pop culture

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

my mom's review of joker:

"good movie, that shows how society treats people. i wonder if it's going to create an uprising against Trump. you know, with the lower class people rising up."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Percelus posted:

i watched kingdom and it's p good. the crown prince can do no wrong but at least there is a v strong protect all refugees no matter what message and that is something i hope gets slipped into all pop culture

I like the overtone in Kingdom that Joseon Korea was a big hosed up poo poo show run by idiots.

Anyway I watched BIIII The Beginning on Netflix recently. It's not a very good anime, but it's fascinating in the sense that it's making clear allusions to Operation Gladio and the NATO stay behind networks. It's set in a NOT ITALIAN Mediterranean kingdom that seems idyllic on the surface, but the crown government has been cultivating people with genetic abnormalities that cause them to become insane if they're left unchecked. Keeping their emotions and impulses under control means taking a steady supply of gene juice that only the government supplies. So the government has been seeding its own country and foreign countries with a small army of potential serial killers who could go insane at any moment and implement a strategy of tension to keep society under control.

The show doesn't really dwell on the political problem. It's mostly a backdrop for the show's secondary protagonist to do the usual anime nonsense, but it's at least set up to be a focus for the second season so maybe it'll get better. I wouldn't expect it to though. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that doesn't really care about anime, I just can't stop thinking about how much it's obviously inspired by Gladio.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i watched crawl, which is a perfectly fine creature feature, breezes on past at 87 minutes and it pretty enjoyable

the only 2 thoughts that kept nagging at my mind were 1) alligators absolutely do not work that way and 2) between all those open wounds drenched in mud and water and barry pepper's character losing an arm these people are gonna get turbofucked by the american healthcare system

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

just watched parasite in theatres and it’s great. revolutionary stuff

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i made an abu ghraib shitpost and got curious about whether any libs or chuds finally made a hurt locker/zero dark thirty apologia piece for it. unsurprisingly, yes, but its wiki has this absolute pearl of a sentence

boys of abu ghraib wiki posted:

Audience reviews were more positive, most particularly from veterans for its realistic depiction of a soldier's deployment and its lack of a political agenda.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Man Watchmen starts right off with the Tulsa race riot.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

just watched parasite in theatres and it’s great. revolutionary stuff

One of the best movies of the year for sure.

Best to go into it without spoiling yourself at all if you can.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
god help me im watching the watchmen tv series

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

god help me im watching the watchmen tv series

guess that finally answers the question

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I'll have one space fascist burger, hold the Han Solo box.
https://twitter.com/jacob_s_pumpkin/status/1186405437287161857?s=20

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ken loach is gonna be forced to make movies about a guy crushed by the Hulk trying to qualify for disability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I just watched dead or alive(1999) and I think I have to rethink all of cinema now