Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Good news everybody, Raimi’s back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one’s ever really gone.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I like the Nightmare remake more than the F13 one but it’s like 1.5 vs. .5 so it doesn’t mean much. They got Freddy wrong but remake Jason feels like even less like Jason than Roy to me.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The F13 remake owns because it perfectly translates the 80s films to the mid-00s. The dialogue is a double edged sword though, giving us gems like “perfect nipple placement” but also poo poo like “say hi to mommy! In hell!”

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I guess a finger curled on the monkey's paw, what with the timing of this announcement and everybody talking about the F13 remake.

"What's that, you think the F13 remake is 'fine'? Well, how about a new Sam Raimi joint? written by the F13 remake guys"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah so

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

married but discreet posted:

Excellent choice to start out!
It's not too late to join the halloween challenge thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899778

and @alf pogs

really, really enjoyed the wailing, those tonal jumps were tricky but handled so well. beautifully shot too. thanks for the tip about halloween challenge, gonna check it out!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Let us know what the movies were, very curious

Let’s see if I can remember in my deep slerived state.

A Halloween themed Mighty Mouse short

Edge of the Axe - 80s slasher. I don’t think it’s ever had a proper dvd release so the only way to see it is vhs or film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5iLhu68lYQ

Quatermass and the Pit - 60s hammer with a sci-fi twist. Probably my favorite of the night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zoz9MN0-Y4

A Halloween themed Beatles short

The Mad Ghoul - 40s Universal voodoo zombie movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrvaWiFh_8

Cherry Falls 00s Scream clone. This was a lot of fun. Brittany Murphy stars as the daughter of a small town sheriff (played by Michael Biehn). Her and her friends start getting picked off by a killer targeting virgins so the entire high school decides to throw a pop your cherry party to stop the maniac! Genius!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGdlArQiXFo

Demon Witch Child - 70s witch movie/Exorcist rip off. Features a little girl calling a lot of people bitches while wearing a receding hairline wig (to mimic the witch she’s possessed by). Pretty sure this ones on tubi right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqaJcbJ9F-8

Body Snatchers - Abel Ferrara’s 90s remake. I love this movie and got super pumped when it started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okW2UfLNaJc

A Halloween themed Donald Duck short

And then they capped off the night with the National Anthem

They gave out beer coasters with their all night horror show logo at the door when we left. All in all, it was a pretty fun night. I’ve only previously seen three of the six movies so it was a nice way to scratch the others off the list.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 20, 2019

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Hey I didn't say I didn't dig it or I wasn't watching it, I'm always down for more Raimi.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Also, yeah: if we’re being honest, the F13 ‘remake’ surpasses any of the originals.

Such great heights

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Coffee And Pie posted:

The F13 remake owns because it perfectly translates the 80s films to the mid-00s. The dialogue is a double edged sword though, giving us gems like “perfect nipple placement” but also poo poo like “say hi to mommy! In hell!”

both of those suck a lot. so does Jason being the unabomber

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
If you can’t appreciate “you should win in a fuckin titty contest” I don’t know what to tell you

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i thought you said you had good news

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wasn't he supposed to direct a remake of A Prophet? What an odd choice that was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Eli on Netflix is so catastrophically bad it's almost worth the watch just to gawk.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

Hmm the Benicio del Toro Wolfman reboot was actually cool as hell. I was not expecting that.

The director's cut is really good. The biggest problem is simply the fact that Larry doesn't have a character arc.

One thing the original did excellently was show how this curse DESTROYS Larry and turns him from a happy, affable and good natured ladies man, into a depressed, suicidal and horrified wretch

Wolfman reboot starts Larry at Miserable and he doesn't really get any lower from there

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still haven't seen the Nightmare remake but I stand by the position that Freddy was always a pedophile.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Eli on Netflix is so catastrophically bad it's almost worth the watch just to gawk.

I actually thought it was silly but sort of enjoyable, if only because the ending twist was unexpected enough, to me, and cute enough to me because I'm a fan of films about the particular subject it delved into in the last 20 minutes or so..

I think the film deserves some credit at least for cramming the maximum amount of possible horror/suspense subgenres into one film. It's a "really sick kid" movie, it's a "creepy/sketchy doctor", it's a "haunted/creepy house" movie, it's a "ghost/apparition jump-scare" movie, it's a "body horror" movie, it's a "scary medical procedure" movie - and it rolls in a whole bunch of tropes from all these sorts of films, as well. And if you've seen the end, you can add another 2-3 sub-genres to that list as well, plus a couple that I probably forgot that could be added from viewing the film again while applying knowledge from the film's final act.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a "great" movie or anything... I think it was a studio reject, actually. But I feel like if you're a fan of genre horror, then this is clever and enjoyable enough. I certainly didn't think it was CATASTROPHICALLY bad. It's cute, and pretty drat watchable for a movie with a child lead who isn't especially exceptional or anything. Lili Taylor is typically fantastic as the uptight and creepy doctor, and she plays roles like this one SO WELL that it actually does lift the film up quite a bit..

Anyway, I don't get how one can totally slam a flick like this when it more or less accomplishes what it set out to do. It never felt like it was trying to be anything more than what it was, and if you want to watch a bit of contemporary low-budget genre horror, you can do WAY WAY WAY worse than Eli, especially when it comes to "straight-to-streaming" films. Kinda like the new "direct-to-video" but slightly less of a death knell?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Origami Dali posted:

Hmm the Benicio del Toro Wolfman reboot was actually cool as hell. I was not expecting that.

I remember liking it too other than the few questionable SFX moments. That’s the type of thing I wish they had done for the “Dark Universe” where it at least tried to be something gothic and horror-adjacent as opposed to a straight up action movie.

Edit; Joe Johnston directed it and looking on Letterboxd right now I’ve apparently seen every feature he’s directed except for two without specifically ever seeking out a Joe Johnston movie. So I guess it’s time to watch Nutcracker and the Four Realms and whatever Not Safe For Work is so I can close the book on this.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 20, 2019

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Why arent there good horror flicks on netflix, actually, looking at netflix productions track records it probably makes sense. Shows fare better it seems

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought the Ritual was awesome. Can't really think of any other Netflix horror movies that weren't duds off the top of my head though. I guess Velvet Buzzsaw was ok but it was massively disappointing after Nightcrawler.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I thought the Ritual was awesome. Can't really think of any other Netflix horror movies that weren't duds off the top of my head though. I guess Velvet Buzzsaw was ok but it was massively disappointing after Nightcrawler.

There's a lot of stuff that has the netflix label like hindi horror which kinda blows, although that one foreign evil dead + exorcist flick is pretty cool
but i feel like whenever i wanna check a horror flick on netflix my choices are slim here in my neck of the woods

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

veni veni veni posted:

Apostle, Cam, The Perfection, and Gerald’s Game were all good to great

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I still say Cloverfield Paradox had it's moments. It didn't deserve all the hate it got.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
Yeah I really liked Apostle. It's a good folk horror period piece with some really explicit gory bits. A good time for all!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope someone kept track of the trailers they showed this year at the new bev all nighter. They show themes of trailers to intro each movie, so before Edge of the Axe we got Deadly Games and I think Meat Cleaver Massacre, before the Mad Ghoul they showed Howard Hawks’ The Thing and a short interview with Bela Lugosi, before Quatermass we got a bunch of Hammer trailers, before Demon Witch Child we got The Exorcist (this trailer was freaking EVIL to watch in a dark theater. It was amazing), before Body Snatchers we got Invaders From Mars, Blob’88, and John Carpenter’s The Thing (seeing both Thing trailers in one sitting was cool), before Cherry Falls, we got Scream 2, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legends: Final Cut, and I’ll Never Tell (gently caress me out of all the batches of trailers, why is that the one I remember all of?)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

T3hRen3gade posted:

Yeah I really liked Apostle. It's a good folk horror period piece with some really explicit gory bits. A good time for all!

ima watch this tonight

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dan Stevens should play a real maniac in a horror movie again. He’s got a maniac face.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Local theater was showing The Evil Dead tonight, so obviously I had to go watch it since that movie is rad.

Is it controversial to classify Ash Williams as a Final Girl? Because in that first movie he gives off strong Final Girl energy and I've always thought that for the sake of equality men should be able to qualify for Final Girl status.

his name is loving ashley, knowing sam raimi i'm sure it's part of the joke

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Blast Fantasto posted:

Dan Stevens should play a real maniac in a horror movie again. He’s got a maniac face.
Yeah, I enjoyed his mannerisms in The Guest and to some degree he did a good shifting manic personality in Legion.

But yeah, Eli was just exceedingly passable. It didn't do anything new and I did start to telegraph the twist after enough hints started to be dropped. But I did quite enjoy some of the visuals they went with like the trio of nuns floating as in an inverted crucifixion while being twisted and contorted...then lit on fire and flung around the room. I will say though that Netflix 'original' horror films definitely feel like more misses than hits.

Also watched Willow Creek and I'm super confused the positive sentiment people seem to have for it. The first half of the movie is spent on watching two dull people wonder from tourist trap to tourist trap talking about bigfoot, then they reach the woods and some spooky stuff happens (though it's also framed against just watching a static shot of them in a tent for 20 minutes), and then ummm an ending? It felt like it might have been an alright short but as a full movie (even at a lil under an hour and twenty minutes) it felt like there was not nearly enough there.

VVVV
I remember hearing something about the bigfoot rape and I feel like I missed that in the ending? Was bigfoot raping that naked woman that flashed up for like a frame? It was honestly such a blur at the ending that it was a bit hard to follow.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 20, 2019

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Willow Creek is horrendous garbage that ends in Bigfoot rape and you're right to dislike it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really thought I would be spared Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich because I couldn't find it for free and I refuse to pay any more money on Puppet Master. But it turns out it's on Shudder and they're doing free week trials :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gripweed posted:

I really thought I would be spared Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich because I couldn't find it for free and I refuse to pay any more money on Puppet Master. But it turns out it's on Shudder and they're doing free week trials :(

Just think, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, you're almost done!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

COOL CORN posted:

Just think, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, you're almost done!

There's still the comics

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

With what we know about horror and how many duds are constantly being made it actually kind of makes sense that Netflix throws money from their infinite pool at people to make as many random horror movies they can to up Netflix's content but that 4 out of 5 of them are bad.

I think its worth it for the Perfection, Apostle, and Ritual entries. I've heard good things about 1922, Gerald's Game, and Marianne. I really liked Haunting of Hill House and really looking forward to the the Haunting of Bly Manor/Turn of the Screw/Innocents. Cloverfield Paradox was alright.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 21, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Amityville and Puppet Master are admirable feats, but is anyone here a bad enough dude to take on Witchcraft?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like its all warmup to tackling every single "sequel" of Night of the Living Dead.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I found Eli to be remarkably average and I can’t see how anyone could get too passionate in liking or disliking it one way or the other.

Netflix has made around ~300 movies over the past few years and their success rate is pretty low. I wish they’d scale back but I also get that they need original content, especially with so many other streaming services coming along.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like its all warmup to tackling every single "sequel" of Night of the Living Dead.

Pretty sure Choco and M_Sinistrari have already done this by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm kind of... surprised that The Guest hasn't gotten a sequel. I mean once the twist is out of the bag, that takes some of the gas out of it, but I feel like going into the sequel knowing Stevens' whole deal already really opens the doors for an escalated-tone.