Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Yes this is also true if you bought the game on Go, now you get them on Quest and some you also get on Rift for free. You have to find and "buy" them to see them in your library on the other platforms.

Sweet! I'll try it out today and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tom Guycot posted:

Have you tried using Skybox theatre? I think it does 360, alternately I used virtual desktop to view my 360 pictures and movies, it plays then natively.

I'll give these a go thanks :)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Alright, refunded B&S. No matter what I did it just made me feel terrible compared to every other VR game.

Taking that credit, I was thinking of either Gorn, Hotel RnR, SuperHot VR, or Job Simulator. A y opinions?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Alright, refunded B&S. No matter what I did it just made me feel terrible compared to every other VR game.

Taking that credit, I was thinking of either Gorn, Hotel RnR, SuperHot VR, or Job Simulator. A y opinions?

Of those I'd vote Gorn.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

EbolaIvory posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/868150/Takelings_House_Party/

Sup.

Gonna leave this right here for ya.

Also apparently works with parsec.

Up to a total of 9 players? something like that.
Not enough controllers? Whatever, Download the companion app and use your smart phone.

Yeeeee VR Couch gaming your friends can join in on. WOOP

This is now an instant buy for me. Kids are gonna love this.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've been looking at getting another Vive Deluxe Audio Strap as mine is currently shared between my Vive and Quest, it's getting pretty dry out there though. HTC has probably stopped manufacturing them and the Quest's popularity is likely causing the existing supply to disappear. If you want to make a frankenquest I suggest you get on it now.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Gorn is going to be similar to B&S so i would stick with Beat Saber, Superhot VR, Space Pirate Trainer, and maybe Job Simulator.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SCheeseman posted:

I've been looking at getting another Vive Deluxe Audio Strap as mine is currently shared between my Vive and Quest, it's getting pretty dry out there though. HTC has probably stopped manufacturing them and the Quest's popularity is likely causing the existing supply to disappear. If you want to make a frankenquest I suggest you get on it now.

There's still tons of stock of DAS, both new and used. HTC is probably thrilled to sell those at what is like a 10000% markup, even to Quest havers, lol

Chin Strap posted:

Oof VR sea legs really are a thing. Going to have to build this up slowly.

Powdered Ginger pills from Amazon or the local store make a tremendous difference, they have been shown in many double-blind studies to regulate stomach acid production. Same reason many Uber drivers offer ginger candy, though that effect isn't quite as strong, it is tasty.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 18, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Most suppliers no longer have stock here in Australia and there's been a few firesales going on in the US. There'd still be quite a few sitting in warehouses but the DAS is an addon for the Vive, which is no longer manufactured. They're not going to keep making them for Oculus customers. Might as well snap them up as retailers try their hardest to get rid of them anyway.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SCheeseman posted:

Most suppliers no longer have stock here in Australia and there's been a few firesales going on in the US. There'd still be quite a few sitting in warehouses but the DAS is an addon for the Vive, which is no longer manufactured. They're not going to keep making them for Oculus customers. Might as well snap them up as retailers try their hardest to get rid of them anyway.

Ah didn't realize you were in Australia, that might change things. I think as long as a not-negligible amount of people are buying the DAS they will keep making it because the margin is so high; I haven't seen any firesales. It's niche but they're being used on other headsets like Pimax and probably more as we go.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

rage-saq posted:

Gorn is going to be similar to B&S so i would stick with Beat Saber, Superhot VR, Space Pirate Trainer, and maybe Job Simulator.

It's something with B&S specifically, not freeform movement. I can play hours of Pavlov and H3VR no problem.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's something with B&S specifically, not freeform movement. I can play hours of Pavlov and H3VR no problem.

Pavlov has controller oriented movement, B&S is going to probably have head oriented movement which is the same as Gorn.
H3VR has mostly broken movement.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I'm thinking about getting an index, still somewhat unsure though as I keep reading stuff about people having to RMA and such. I hate making decisions.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

kojicolnair posted:

I'm thinking about getting an index, still somewhat unsure though as I keep reading stuff about people having to RMA and such. I hate making decisions.

It was worth it for me because it's honestly great, but if a thousand bucks is big money for you, it's not something I'd get. It really is the best headset you can get, so if you like VR and have the cash...

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I have first batch controllers and they're fine, and I expect they've corrected the manufacturing issue by now.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SCheeseman posted:

I mean, come November, you should be able to just retire the Vive and use the quest for both mobile and pc, no? Seems like a bit of a waste to buy another das right now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Looks like Thrill of the Fight is releasing on Quest next Thursday.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Breaking into houses and sneaking around in Skyrim VR is a trip. Its so intense cause for the most part the sneak indicator is out of view, unless you look up at it. Also no third person camera to cheese and peek around corners, you gotta physically lean over to peek. Also easier to notice stuff mixed in with clutter, or just slightly out of sight on the lower shelf in the back corner. And if people are also in the building? Its intense, having to physically turn around to see if that door sound you just heard was someone walking into the room you're in.

Thief VR when?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chin Strap posted:

Oof VR sea legs really are a thing. Going to have to build this up slowly.

Oh yeah it really is. But you'll adapt in time.

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah. And stop the second you start to feel like you’re turning sick. Don’t let your brain associate that feeling with a game or it’s ruined.

I'd say stop even before then. Set hard time limits. Its easy to be having fun so you don't really notice you're already starting to feel a little off. Its real easy to keep pushing and then when you take the headset off, WOOF, went too far.

When I let people play on my HMD for the first time, I basically pop them out of VR on every level end or every like 15 minutes. Just chill back in IRL for a little bit, and then you can pop in for another level.

Then over time you can extend how long you spend, until you're spending hours at a time comfortably.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Haven't played Hotel RNR, but Gorn is great, Job Sim is great, Superhot VR is great. Hard to pick the best of them....

Job Sim has the most variety and some great 1:1 VR interaction. Its very intuitive and fun for people. But its also a little bit gimmicky and after you've played through it all (takes a few hours for sure) you're kinda done with it.

Superhot VR is really really fun and compelling and lets you use your whole body, and is a great VR action game. The time-slow mechanic is so fun, this continues to be good even if you've beaten it all. That said, its a bit limited. You just shoot people mostly. Over and over in different ways, and you can't move around on your own and there's no objective beyond just, kill dudes, survive, next level.

Gorn has really good melee combat, and melee doesn't work so hot in lots of VR games compared to guns and bows. There's some things to unlock that add some length to it, fun thing to hop in and bonk on guys, but also kinda a one-trick pony.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

I mean, come November, you should be able to just retire the Vive and use the quest for both mobile and pc, no? Seems like a bit of a waste to buy another das right now.

I have a wireless kit for my Vive, it's hard to give that feature up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SCheeseman posted:

I have a wireless kit for my Vive, it's hard to give that feature up.

Does it work well? I was so concerned about latency...

I probably need to just get an Index at some point...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't notice any latency hit. It can be flakey at times, the usb cable connecting the wireless doohicky to the battery seems to be the main culprit? Otherwise it works well.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Whoever asked me to fix Home Plate Baseball, please go get the latest version on sidequest/itch. You may have to uninstall/reinstall. I think I managed to fix all of the crash issues.

It's running great. I like the new additions. Tossing the bat on a swing is hilarious and the crowds have more animation now.

Great job!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fractals are trippy as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFN0jnK_D50

:pcgaming:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Posting from wmr. The future is here and dumb

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
So yeah, $7 faceshield headgear + 3ct 1"x12" Velcro straps + judicious Xacto work will get you a functional ratcheting headstrap for an Oculus Quest. 100% reversible.

I'll do links and pics and junk after work tonight just to prove it exists. USPS is still sitting on my lenses, so I haven't gotten to test it in use, but the fit is snug without the spring-loaded sponginess of the stock strap.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

Are you cooling me dumb?

ARE YOU CALLING DUMB WHILE IN VR????

*searches for VR breakdance battle game*

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jenny Agutter posted:

Try Virtual Desktop. Thats what I look at stuff in. Its great for watching anime and has a milkdrop visualizer

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

eonwe posted:

Try Virtual Desktop. Thats what I look at stuff in. Its great for watching anime and has a milkdrop visualizer

Thanks for the advice but I was really just amused that the joke something awful Windows app could be used naively in wmr home

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I thought if I didn't update beat saber itself I wouldn't lose my songs? They were there for a bit after the last quest os update dropped, but today I went to play and they were gone :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would like it if the OP mentioned the pucks in the controllers. Since it's the one other reason to burn money on an index and it's certainly worth talking about more than some of the other input devices on there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chin Strap posted:

I've always been really easy to make car sick if I'm not driving too. Has anyone noticed if prolonged VR experience has lessened their overall susceptibility to carsickness?

it's made it worse for me lol
e: then again, i'm in a car maybe once every year these days so that probably helped.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I'm having some games crash on me with Quest. Not sideloaded ones either. Is this a common problem?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

I've always been really easy to make car sick if I'm not driving too. Has anyone noticed if prolonged VR experience has lessened their overall susceptibility to carsickness?

I think it's possible it may help to reduce the amount of sickness you get from your vestibular and visual systems disagreeing in general. However, car/sea sickness and VR motion sickness are IMO not quite the same; the former is caused by you feeling acceleration but not seeing motion, whereas the latter is seeing motion without feeling any acceleration. So they're closely related, but that doesn't necessarily mean getting used to one kind of sensory disagreement will automatically help equally with the other.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Chin Strap posted:

I'm having some games crash on me with Quest. Not sideloaded ones either. Is this a common problem?

No, I don't think so. Try restarting your headset. Did you sideload non-VR apps? Many of them can install services that make your Quest run worse.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Local multiplayer VR is also just called sports. Hope this helps

New thread title

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Nalin posted:

No, I don't think so. Try restarting your headset. Did you sideload non-VR apps? Many of them can install services that make your Quest run worse.

Yeah I tried installing this calorie counter HUD thing but it wasn't working so now I've uninstalled. Going to see if it helps.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
Has anyone gone from Pimax 5k+ to Valve Index? I'm interested in getting the Index to be able to play VR games that require controllers (I play only flight sims at this point since I have no controllers) but I'm concerned about a decrease in resolution and FOV. Currently I use the medium FOV option on the Pimax 5k+.

Thanks for any input!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

Yeah I tried installing this calorie counter HUD thing but it wasn't working so now I've uninstalled. Going to see if it helps.

Yur? Got details on the crash? I could forward it to the powers that be