Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kanfy posted:

I'd probably always play two Forever Youngs if I could draft 'em over average stuff unless I was a real aggressive knights deck or somesuch, worst case scenario with that card is cycling it away which makes it about as safe an include as they get. Best case scenario it'll crush mill plans or bring back a game-winning ace to break a stalemate which are numerous. Real good with adventure creatures too.

Similarly I find enchantment/artifact destruction 100% maindeckable, especially the white one.

even in a non mill set, i'd def play the first Forever Young and play the second if it's a grindy format/deck, unless my deck is incredibly aggro (this never happens.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
That gingerbread commercial gets me every time.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As far as other draft overperformers go, Garenbrig Paladin feels like it's definitely up there. A 5/5 that's unblockable by anything below 2 power is often literally unstoppable since creatures have such low power overall. It's too big for Reave Soul and most burn and avoids most things that could slow it down like Deathtouchers, chump blockers and Queens of Ice. Just a real wrecking ball in a way it wouldn't be in most formats.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Trading the 6/6 Gruul away for 2 damage was such a massive blunder.

EDIT: yeah that lost Dominguez the game

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Kawabata posted:

Trading the 6/6 Gruul away for 2 damage was such a massive blunder.

EDIT: yeah that lost Dominguez the game

Good game

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Fantastic draw in the third game though. Gruul looking really strong.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
What can I buy in paper magic that I can redeem in MtgA. The plainswalkers decks? Do they have any good cards?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

MRLOLAST posted:

What can I buy in paper magic that I can redeem in MtgA. The plainswalkers decks? Do they have any good cards?

Nothing important and no.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Mengucci - "Top Arena Rank: Platinum"
Depraz - "Top Arena Rank: blank"

lol

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MRLOLAST posted:

That gingerbread commercial gets me every time.

Same. It's an incredible ad. I really hope Magic continue to do silly whimsical stuff instead of dark, edgy stuff that only appeals to 15 year-old boys.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mono-R Cavalcade vs Mardu Regi-Sword LETS GOOOOOO

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Hong Kong Free

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
That cavalcade swing in for lethal in game 1 was so satisfying. go lee!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

hatred ended with tefari now ok is my best enemy

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Stan Cifka likes food ..news at 5 . I know him mostly for eating bananas though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MRLOLAST posted:

Wow 61k People watching on Twitch.

Is that good

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

New pet peeve, if I hit auto-pass. Don't make me click resolve for spells cast.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

zoux posted:

Is that good

76k now
Compare to HS gm that had like 23k tops.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

91k? What's going on

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
MTGA does the same thing OW did (and allegedly Gwent) where they pay to embed the stream on other webpages to make the view count higher. (I read it in this article: https://kotaku.com/as-esports-grows-experts-fear-its-a-bubble-ready-to-po-1834982843)

quote:

On the other hand, as better standards begin to roll out, there will always be loopholes for desperate actors. Last month, Magic: The Gathering put on its biggest esports event yet to debut its brand new pro league: a $1 million tournament at Boston’s PAX East convention. At first, viewership on Twitch hovered at around 20,000—a pretty typical amount of viewers for a pro Magic tournament on a weekday. Suddenly, in the afternoon, something miraculous happened: viewership quadrupled to a remarkable 88,000.

According to a source with knowledge of publisher Wizards of the Coast’s sponsorship strategy, that huge jump in viewership wasn’t a surprise. “Wizards has been pitching the Mythic Championship to potential sponsors for the future and was very confident they would get close to 100,000 viewers,” the source, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of professional repercussions, told Kotaku. “We thought it was weird given the historical viewership of the game.”

It was weird. Weirder still, the number of people logged into Twitch chat did not meaningfully increase, according to stats obtained by software from TidyXgamer. What accounted for the enormous boon in “viewership”—a boon that Magic itself advertised in its post-mortem blog on the event—was not a stadium’s worth of people suddenly realizing that the tournament was live. It was something a little sketchier.

ADVERTISEMENT
The tournament’s stream could have been embedded in hundreds of websites across the internet affiliated with the company Curse, a network of websites that also sells ad tools, data from Dhruv Mehrotra, a technologist at Kotaku’s parent company, G/O Media, indicates. Curse’s websites, including the gaming wiki Gamepedia, receive one billion views a month, according to internet software company CloudFlare. Users scrolling through a wiki about video game weapons or browsing a gaming forum might suddenly be confronted with an embed of the livestream, which would play when they view it, even briefly.

Once Curse turned on the embedded stream service for Magic: The Gathering’s recent tournament, viewership skyrocketed, according to data reviewed by Kotaku and Mehrotra, resulting in what the game publisher described as “the biggest Magic event ever—it’s not even close. There were over 8.1 million views of Magic content on Twitch over the weekend and we hit a peak of 157,000 people tuning in on Finals day.” It’s questionable whether tens of thousands of those views truly represent engaged humans watching the stream. Publisher Wizards of the Coast did not respond to Kotaku’s request for comment.
This isnt proven but it's certainly what I believe.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 20, 2019

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Wacky Delly posted:

New pet peeve, if I hit auto-pass. Don't make me click resolve for spells cast.

Shift+Enter will completely auto-pass. Just pressing the button is "pass until response".

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ptroll posted:

Shift+Enter will completely auto-pass. Just pressing the button is "pass until response".

That's good to know. Still not what "auto-pass" means.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Lee Shitian (Armenian Chinese? :) did his best but Nissa and Oko were to beaucoup .
Oko vs Oko final?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
No Mythic codes for free packs this time?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Rhaegar posted:

just tried entering "Nissa, who wins the game" but nothing happened

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still lolling at that guy 50 pages back who was complaining how it's "impossible" to get a turn 5 win when Lee Shi Tian just smoked Nassif on turn 4. Shame Tian was eliminated by his own land floods in the next two games.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rhaegar posted:

"Since hearthstone is cancelled now we don't have to give out anything for free"
-some wotc exec, probably.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Rexxed posted:

"Since hearthstone is cancelled now we don't have to give out anything for free"
-some wotc exec, probably.

But what about Legends of Runeterra. What if enough players like it despite the terrible UI, generic art and copycat mechanics and cards?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I entered FreeHongKong for the code and they banned me

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Reality Sinner posted:

I entered FreeHongKong for the code and they banned me

from battlenet?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dominguez and Gruul just bodied Golos out of the Top 4.

Mengucci vs Nassif is next and then Grand Finals

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Two people on this page messed up Lee Shi Tian's name and it's tilting me considerably

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
My wife is Armenian so every time I see name ending in ..ian I think they are the same . Unfortunate first part though :)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So is golos really the show stopper everyone thought it would be? Simic food seems real powerful. Oko will rule when fields gets the ban.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

So is golos really the show stopper everyone thought it would be? Simic food seems real powerful. Oko will rule when fields gets the ban.

I think it's way stronger in bo1 but still pretty good in bo3

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Just went against a deck in draft that had 2 Royal Scions. Was actually alot closer than it had any right to be.

Fix your loving bots.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Literally everybody build their deck for this tournament to beat Golos, and it still made up over half of the top 16.

Only one of those made top 8, but that's variance for you.

e: you're right that banning field without touching oko won't really fix the format.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhaegar posted:

They happen after the event, I think, but they're beginning the squeeze the economy phase so it's pretty likely it'll at best be a 1 pack code

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

MisterZimbu posted:

Just went against a deck in draft that had 2 Royal Scions. Was actually alot closer than it had any right to be.

Fix your loving bots.

What does this have to do with bots, it’s rather unlikely the Scions were passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Jabor posted:

Literally everybody build their deck for this tournament to beat Golos, and it still made up over half of the top 16.

Only one of those made top 8, but that's variance for you.

e: you're right that banning field without touching oko won't really fix the format.

That’s a fair point, actually. I do think they’ll need to do both for a more balanced meta.