Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

UnfurledSails posted:

Nevermind Meeting Them, Don't Even Follow Your Heroes On Twitter

Donoteat posts trains and booze, I feel like that's more than worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Stormgale posted:

The ben shapiro ends with “Now look into this camera, and tell me you were wrong.” dosen't it?
He was literally playing a character that time but yeah.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Donoteat posts trains and booze, I feel like that's more than worth it

donoteat is a good train boy and his twitter is v. pro follow, he just wants to make fake cities and ride trains and hell same

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

perhaps the solution wasnt to delete my twitter, but to delete everyone elses twitters

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

perhaps the solution wasnt to delete my twitter, but to delete everyone elses twitters

The guy who deleted Trump's twitter account had the right idea

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Junpei Hyde posted:

we need a twitter thanos, no actual death or harm to anyone, but just half of all twitter accounts get deleted and never existed to begin with

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The podcast invisibilia has an amazing episode about callouts in a mostly local hardcore scene. It mainly focuses on one woman who is very vocal and ends up cutting contact with a very close friend because of allegations against him. In the end she gets called out by a guy who seems more than a little vengeful but when asked if she thinks it was worth it she says yes because it’s worth it to have the power of driving away harmful people even if some people will weaponize it.

Obviously that’s extremely condensed but what I want to get across is if you jeopardize your ideals when it comes to you or your friend(s) it everything starts looking very shaky

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

we need a twitter thanos, no actual death or harm to anyone, but just half of all twitter accounts get deleted and never existed to begin with

ok but can i delete the other half

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Junpei Hyde posted:

ok but can i delete the other half

yea don't worry it's a double cross

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

We've long made fun of / complained about people monetizing their apologies, how is this any different?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It’s not

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hel posted:

We've long made fun of / complained about people monetizing their apologies, how is this any different?

I mean it's not even an apology, he straight up just says he won't say anything and if he did he'd be validating the 'toxic' people, which again just goes back to that 'so what the gently caress are we supposed to do if apparently one rando going 'fuk u i hope u die bitch' means everyone going 'yea this was a lovely post dude' is part of the same 'toxic' community that can't be validated? Like, someone already said it but people act like getting told 'hey this was dumb' by actual minorities is basically the same as when alt right people bomb someone for saying not everyone in 1400's europe was a straight white man because I guess both involve the menchies getting blown up so they're the same thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres literally people in the replies calling this the next gamergate, that's 100% the narrative thats being run with

we should tax youtubers 200%

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Think I might take a vacation from this thread till all of this just fucks off.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I wish there was a browser extension or something that you can use to put threads on ignore so you never see them

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Kim Justice posted:

Think I might take a vacation from this thread till all of this just fucks off.

I have a sinking feeling that this shitstorm is far from over, so get ready for a long vacation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

UnfurledSails posted:

I wish there was a browser extension or something that you can use to put threads on ignore so you never see them

Do what I do: browse the forums through bookmarks. Then you can just remove the bookmark to threads you don't want to follow for a while.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Equeen posted:

I have a sinking feeling that this shitstorm is far from over, so get ready for a long vacation.

I mean, it's over. Like people are gonna be mad but Olly and his friends have the platform and they're uniformly in the 'clearly don't actually give a poo poo about this' camp and the comments on that post are full of 'oh no I'm so sorry this happened ARE YOU HAPPY NOW MINORITIES????'

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do what I do: browse the forums through bookmarks. Then you can just remove the bookmark to threads you don't want to follow for a while.

Yeah but it gets stale sometimes and I would like to look for new good threads that come up sometimes. Obviously the answer is "don't click on the threads you don't want to read" but it's hard to get out of the habit

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Olly and hbomb's responses are a perfect Goofus and Gallant, or like, the Drake meme. A What Absolutely Not To Do, and a What Do.

at the same time it's at least something that he's making a video about it. but, actions speak louder than words. I guess it's not surprising he chose his friend over the enby community. He probably doesn't even see it that way. as much as the extreme reaction isn't really representative, being doxxed and getting direct threats can have a pretty profound psychological effect.

still, I don't think this is going away, and I'm no longer convinced that This Is Why the Left Fails. I think it's more of a make or break moment, a dilemma about how we handle people in our communities who behave like Contra does, who may not be overt bigots, but nonetheless cause harm to parts of the community. this is also a relevant question when it comes to ableism, racism, etc. Issues that have also come up in leftist circles with prominent people making marginalized members of the community feel marginalized and excluded because they're not willing to do the drat work to develop empathy. and, I think maybe that's the crux here. Contra does not hate nonbinary people or want them to not have rights - she just does not seem to possess much empathy for us. It is not, I think, merely enough to be tolerant. You have to work for empathy with people with vastly different lived experiences, especially if you're in any kind of leadership position in a leftist community. It's "super-hard" as she might put it, but it's non-negotiable. and she hasn't, and may never do the work.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

I mean it's not even an apology, he straight up just says he won't say anything and if he did he'd be validating the 'toxic' people, which again just goes back to that 'so what the gently caress are we supposed to do if apparently one rando going 'fuk u i hope u die bitch' means everyone going 'yea this was a lovely post dude' is part of the same 'toxic' community that can't be validated? Like, someone already said it but people act like getting told 'hey this was dumb' by actual minorities is basically the same as when alt right people bomb someone for saying not everyone in 1400's europe was a straight white man because I guess both involve the menchies getting blown up so they're the same thing.

The structure of social media means that these two things can never be disentangled. The mob is a structure determined by the medium. The people who are no doubt calling his elderly relatives late at night (and who will never completely stop) and threatening to kill them are functions of the same system generating replies saying "disappointed." The medium creates the effect, no matter the intentions of the people feeding engagement into the system. There is no good way to engage with other people on twitter, and these results are inevitable once a twitter account reaches a certain threshold of attention. The people mad at philosophy tube are not all mad at him for the same exact reason, and they won't all be satisfied by the same response, and some of those expectations are contradictory. It's just going to continue to grow no matter what, and it will never go away completely. It's inevitable that anyone using twitter to say things will run into a situation where a bunch of people love them and then they make a mistake.

The question for the future for us is probably how we're going to approach viewing commentators over the internet, given that this circumstance is inevitable from the degree zero where they start getting some kind of positive attention for doing something well.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

UnfurledSails posted:

doesn't SALR do this? can't find it right now, so maybe it's only the firefox version

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

a week ago People Make Games posted a 90 minute video about Athene, the former pro gamer who went on to start a cult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgNXJQ88lfk

Also I don't think anyone posted Big Joel's video about Trolls yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWyWSwq6fVc

FoldableHuman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 20, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean its kind of an inevitable defense mechanism to categorize all people who show up negatively in your replies as 'haters' when you have this much social attention, even when some of those people have a reasonable concern expressed in a normal way and some of those people are threatening to burn your house down. like theres degrees there but it all just gets absorbed into the same noise machine. and the only people who can really fully understand this are other people with platforms, so they talk to each other about it and become closeknit, which means they want to cover for each other, which is what leads to stuff like this, where contrapoints does thing A, people want to instinctively cover for her, which makes the blowup worse.

the obvious solution is to not engage with your fans this much but its hard when people value that so much and your entire platform and (if you're big enough) career are entirely online, so you're kind of forced to engage, which feeds into the same fan overinvestment that leads to stuff like this. i dont think philosophytube's response is good, its stupid as hell, but i get why it came out that way. there's just a fundamental disconnect between the way he sees it and the way the average person would see it, because hes the one that has to deal with thousands of replies daily even when nothing is blowing up.

But yeah for all that it's garbage that he couldn't just say 'buck angel poo poo tho,' and this isn't the time to advertise the musical numbers in his next video.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 20, 2019

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The structure of social media means that these two things can never be disentangled. The mob is a structure determined by the medium. The people who are no doubt calling his elderly relatives late at night (and who will never completely stop) and threatening to kill them are functions of the same system generating replies saying "disappointed." The medium creates the effect, no matter the intentions of the people feeding engagement into the system. There is no good way to engage with other people on twitter, and these results are inevitable once a twitter account reaches a certain threshold of attention. The people mad at philosophy tube are not all mad at him for the same exact reason, and they won't all be satisfied by the same response, and some of those expectations are contradictory. It's just going to continue to grow no matter what, and it will never go away completely. It's inevitable that anyone using twitter to say things will run into a situation where a bunch of people love them and then they make a mistake.

The question for the future for us is probably how we're going to approach viewing commentators over the internet, given that this circumstance is inevitable from the degree zero where they start getting some kind of positive attention for doing something well.

While you will never please everyone, there's actions you can take in making the most obvious caustic demands readily apparent for what they are and in doing so disperse the mob to a major extent. In this case, it would have been closer to what HBomb did: roundly, specifically, and unquestionably condemning Buck Angel, the truscum in the room.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CYBEReris posted:

While you will never please everyone, there's actions you can take in making the most obvious caustic demands readily apparent for what they are and in doing so disperse the mob to a major extent. In this case, it would have been closer to what HBomb did: roundly, specifically, and unquestionably condemning Buck Angel, the truscum in the room.

yea I don't think anyone's ever expecting anyone to please literally everyone. It's more an issue that when you have a large amount of people in an already marginalized community saying 'hey your actions hurt me' maybe just loving bite the bullet and say 'oh, sorry about that, yea gently caress Buck Angel I had no idea he was such a sack of poo poo'. That's literally all it takes, all this hyperbole about cancelling and flagellation and toxicity are just a really useful smokescreen around 'yea looks like people on the left can be just as selfish as everyone else, shocking'.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the majority of lefttube responses to the contra poo poo being YALL JUST WANNA HATE HER AND ISOLATE HER and not remotely engaging with why people are criticizing her so much and so consistently is loving wiiiiiiiiiiiiild poo poo

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Why couldn’t PhilosophyTube just done what Hbomb did? Someone earlier said it’s a Drake meme moment and that’s an absolutely perfect description

I mean I have a hunch about the reason and it’s that Hbomb legit actually cares, but it could just be his PR instincts are better

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1186026446679994368

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Holy poo poo it keeps happening :cripes:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffles Inc. posted:

Why couldn’t PhilosophyTube just done what Hbomb did? Someone earlier said it’s a Drake meme moment and that’s an absolutely perfect description

I mean I have a hunch about the reason and it’s that Hbomb legit actually cares, but it could just be his PR instincts are better

i mean i dunno i saw the lindsay ellis response because he RTed it so

i like hbomb, i think he's a decent dude and i was friendly with him before he got known, but also, his "i dont really have a response because its all hosed up but also i support my friends who are saying haters gonna hate" thing is not good

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

FoldableHuman posted:

a week ago People Make Games posted a 90 minute video about Athene, the former pro gamer who went on to start a cult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgNXJQ88lfk

I haven't watched this video yet, but in the recommendations for it another video popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLraw5RqJpE

I'm not super familiar with Asmongold but he's apparently a big WoW streamer and a super staunch classic WoW "purist". It's interesting to see what points he agrees with Dan about and which points he does not. (Also, I get the impression his audience attracts a certain type of capital-G Gamer so it might be a good idea to watch it in a private browsing window to keep your recommendations clean.)

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Now they're giving each other high fives for their poo poo responses

https://twitter.com/PhilosophyTube/status/1186031842203521025

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mr.Radar posted:

I haven't watched this video yet, but in the recommendations for it another video popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLraw5RqJpE

I'm not super familiar with Asmongold but he's apparently a big WoW streamer and a super staunch classic WoW "purist". It's interesting to see what points he agrees with Dan about and which points he does not. (Also, I get the impression his audience attracts a certain type of capital-G Gamer so it might be a good idea to watch it in a private browsing window to keep your recommendations clean.)

i managed to watch enough of the folding ideas video for him to say "this could be how they make wow 2" before i shut it off because i was laughing so hard i couldnt breathe, the idea that they would make a sequel to wow at all is hilarious and the idea that they'd start with a 15(!) year old game, andd strip out any advancements in design, as the base is even more so

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jesus this one loving sucks too. Astonishing how easy it is to rhetorically ignore everything if you hide behind the specter of parasocial relationships and convince people that your content and your beliefs aren’t necessarily the same thing

Some unbelievable poo poo here

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

the lindsay one is the only good one tbh

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Asmongold is a dude a lot of people (including myself) thought he seemed to be playing a bit/overstated version of himself.
Turns out he is actually a legit asshat, living in literal filth and close too if not outright a Chud. Does apperently take care of his mum tho not going to poo poo on that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, I think maybe I need to reconsider my Patreon support. There are a lot of creators outside of this particular Rhinoceros party and maybe that's where my money should go, if at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

good news for everyone saying hbomberguy did it right

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1186026655032250369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm really not sure what most of you expect here.