Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

like dont get me wrong the really toxic people are very good at being very loud but it is not that many people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

VictualSquid posted:

It is the twitter trolley problem.

You can apologize for something your friend did and make the 10 honest people in the hate mob feel better. But when you do that you give validation to the 1000s of assholes who take it as permission to attack all your friends and family.

Haven't seen someone be this wrong since the last time Natalie talked about nb people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

It is the twitter trolley problem.

You can apologize for something your friend did and make the 10 honest people in the hate mob feel better. But when you do that you give validation to the 1000s of assholes who take it as permission to attack all your friends and family.
literally just 'fyi buck angel sucks' would probably not validate the latter group but itd make the former group feel better. you dont need to make this more complicated than it is. there are two groups here, people who have a weird grudge against contrapoints and people who are mad she worked with buck angel. the way you navigate that is by going 'yea working with buck angel was probably a bit of a bad call eh' without disowning or actually harming contrapoints. thats it really. and ellis's post says that and then just... keeps going in a way that just adds on a bunch of questionable poo poo

and the idea that the way contra gets to justify it is by putting out more #content instead of just going 'yeah my bad' is gross. it just makes the entire thing feel like a pr stunt. like im sure it wouldnt satisfy some people but i guarantee this entire thing would have blown over by now is if shed just say 'buck angel is a shithead' and not 'do i hate nonbinary people? find out on the next exciting episode of dragon ball z!'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 20, 2019

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

more people should be like me and have all their bad opinions be over really inconsequential poo poo

dubs over subs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like the stalkers who ring your grandma’s doorbell at 3:00am have an outsized footprint relative to their actual numbers. I don’t blame someone dealing with that for tarring me with the same brush because that’s an exceptional circumstance.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

more people should be like me and have all their bad opinions be over really inconsequential poo poo

dubs over subs

This is the correct opinion, though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jimbot posted:

breaks a beer bottle over the bar u w0t m8?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some dubs are good and some dubs are bad

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

im sorry we dont do centrism in this thread

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

I fuckkin love those ninja turtle-sounding guys who did the original Akira dub. I won’t touch that criterion Godzilla collection because none of them have the 70s dubs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
dubs are, these days, for the most part good and make it easier to watch anime while gaming, like a sophisticated adult

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

im sorry we dont do centrism in this thread
then explain half the youtubers that get linked in here

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Junpei Hyde posted:

One day I will convince literally anyone other than me that Hunter x Hunter 2011 is kinda bad actually

Ehhhhhhh it starts out good but by the time I got distracted and wandered away, when Nen or whatever first showed up I was already getting tired of it

The first arc or so, when they're just on that forced march, is really good because it's a shonen fight arc but not

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

my opinion is probably molded by about 50% an unhealthy desire to spite weird elitists, and 50% reading comprehension issues

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Endorph posted:

Sounds like a loving CENTRALIST to me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like the stalkers who ring your grandma’s doorbell at 3:00am have an outsized footprint relative to their actual numbers. I don’t blame someone dealing with that for tarring me with the same brush because that’s an exceptional circumstance.

This is the stupidest analogy possible jfc

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ehhhhhhh it starts out good but by the time I got distracted and wandered away, when Nen or whatever first showed up I was already getting tired of it

I feel like an entire episode is spent on explaining nen when it isnt really that complex

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Endorph posted:

The Samurai Pizza Cats dub is art.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Junpei Hyde posted:

my opinion is probably molded by about 50% an unhealthy desire to spite weird elitists, and 50% reading comprehension issues

I have a hard time reading words that don't match what I hear at least a little, which sucks because I love Kamen rider

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

then explain half the youtubers that get linked in here

i dubbed over them to be leftist

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Junpei Hyde posted:

I feel like an entire episode is spent on explaining nen when it isnt really that complex

I read it, I cannot watch anime, but manga is just comics in another direction and boy howdy do I do comics

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

imagine reading lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The first arc or so, when they're just on that forced march, is really good because it's a shonen fight arc but not
heavens' arena is really bland but yorknew is a great arc because it's also a shonen fight arc but not, it's a crime drama with double crosses and a weird game of cat and mouse where the villains and protagonists not even knowing each other's names and faces is a major plot point and lasts for like 80% of the arc

and it has one of the best gags in anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCTjiNMedng&t=23s

greed island is kinda dull tho

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Junpei Hyde posted:

Where I grew up you had to learn to read subtitles or you'd not have access to a lot of media unless your English was very good, so most people learn to handle it at a relatively early age.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yorknew makes me madder the more I watch HxH because its literally the only part I like and holy god I wish the rest of it was that good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

heavens' arena is really bland but yorknew is a great arc because it's also a shonen fight arc but not, it's a crime drama with double crosses and a weird game of cat and mouse where the villains and protagonists not even knowing each other's names and faces is a major plot point and lasts for like 80% of the arc

and it has one of the best gags in anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCTjiNMedng&t=23s

greed island is kinda dull tho

lol the windows movie maker FAIL when the punchline hits actually kinda adds to it

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Endorph posted:

literally just 'fyi buck angel sucks' would probably not validate the latter group but itd make the former group feel better. you dont need to make this more complicated than it is. there are two groups here, people who have a weird grudge against contrapoints and people who are mad she worked with buck angel. the way you navigate that is by going 'yea working with buck angel was probably a bit of a bad call eh' without disowning or actually harming contrapoints. thats it really. and ellis's post says that and then just... keeps going in a way that just adds on a bunch of questionable poo poo

and the idea that the way contra gets to justify it is by putting out more #content instead of just going 'yeah my bad' is gross. it just makes the entire thing feel like a pr stunt. like im sure it wouldnt satisfy some people but i guarantee this entire thing would have blown over by now is if shed just say 'buck angel is a shithead' and not 'do i hate nonbinary people? find out on the next exciting episode of dragon ball z!'
Literally nobody disagrees with the statement that contrapoints has jumped the shark and that buck angel sucks.

So when someone says : That dude sucks, but your demands imply problematic normalization of traditional hate group tactics that have hurt real people.

Then you can either accept it or admit that you were always interested in normalizing the concept of communal responsibility.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched the dub of the pilot episode of Armored Troopers Votoms and it was bad but I'm sad we never got any of the series dubbed.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Where I grew up you had to learn to read subtitles or you'd not have access to a lot of media unless your English was very good, so most people learn to handle it at a relatively early age.
I p much don't even see subtitles any more, I just read them and watch that's going on. Subtitles p much taught me a lot of English indirectly .

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This is the stupidest analogy possible jfc

It’s literally a true thing that happened to Lindsay Ellis when internet aristocrat was after her that she posted in this thread like three years ago, although maybe it was her parents.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

Literally nobody disagrees with the statement that contrapoints has jumped the shark and that buck angel sucks.

So when someone says : That dude sucks, but your demands imply problematic normalization of traditional hate group tactics that have hurt real people.

Then you can either accept it or admit that you were always interested in normalizing the concept of communal responsibility.
how does expecting contrapoints to go 'yeah buck angel sucks' and not 'find out next issue, true believers!' normalize traditional hate group tactics? im not saying her friends should disown her or that she should be depersoned or whatever, just that using this as an ad for her next video is a lovely thing to do. ellis's statement leans into 'have faith and watch the next video' which is my issue, not her continuing to be friends with contra.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zedd posted:

I p much don't even see subtitles any more, I just read them and watch that's going on. Subtitles p much taught me a lot of English indirectly .

Also when I was a kid for some reason the subtitles to Looney Tunes cartoons were extremely archaic, which taught me way too many words that I ended up pronouncing wrong because nobody was using them in speech anymore.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Speaking of dubs and things that make me sad: TMSanime copyright struck the latest Taste Closed before I could watch it :negative:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VictualSquid posted:

what the gently caress, no you can't just say 'ok you're right but by pointing this out you're no different than anime nazis' and be shocked when the people who pointed it out who are also the anime nazi victims don't go 'oh yea, you're a really smart person who's very aware of the topic being discussed here'.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Endorph posted:

how does expecting contrapoints to go 'yeah buck angel sucks' and not 'find out next issue, true believers!' normalize traditional hate group tactics? im not saying her friends should disown her or that she should be depersoned or whatever, just that using this as an ad for her next video is a lovely thing to do.

Not contra, Ellis. Contra can suck it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also when I was a kid for some reason the subtitles to Looney Tunes cartoons were extremely archaic, which taught me way too many words that I ended up pronouncing wrong because nobody was using them in speech anymore.
At some point I got tired of reading cause I wanted to play with my LEGO when watching TV, and I'm p sure that's how I made myself actually learn the (english) language. :v:

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Zedd posted:

The Samurai Pizza Cats dub is art.

To be honest, I think any dub that tosses out the original scripts and just writes their own poo poo isn't really a dub, but a variation on the original work.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Spark That Bled posted:

To be honest, I think any dub that tosses out the original scripts and just writes their own poo poo isn't really a dub, but a variation on the original work.

to an extent any dub or translation is a fundamentally different work of art imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

No contra, Ellis. Contra can suck it.
oh, yeah. I had to edit that in when I realized you meant her.

My issue with Ellis's statement isn't that she's still friends with contra or that she addresses people demanding she stop being friends with her as weirdos, it's the conflict between 'how many times does contra need to explain her views on nb people, have faith and watch the next video' and 'you don't know youtubers, these are real people you have literally never talked to.' these two are just straight up incompatible, and I think they're kind of at the center of this. The people defending contra are simultaneously saying you don't know youtubers but also that you need to have faith in contra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Junpei Hyde posted:

to an extent any dub or translation is a fundamentally different work of art imo

But then you're just arguing for subs, because at least they keep the original dialogue.