Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

birdy the mighty decode season 2 is maybe my favorite anime (its that or turn-a gundam) but season 1 of decode is decent but nothing amazing so rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Eureka Seven is also very good

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Gargoyles anime?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is Gargoyles anime?

literally yes, technically no

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Didn't that manga Kaiji or something spend 20 years, and 90 percent of its run, just covering a single mahjong match between two guys over one night? That's more extreme than when Robert Jordan wrote the Grain Weevil saga in the middle of another series.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Some dubs are simultaneously good and bad, like the Lupin the Third Part 2 dub.

https://twitter.com/JennerallyJenn/status/1161876935615455232?s=20

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Didn't that manga Kaiji or something spend 20 years, and 90 percent of its run, just covering a single mahjong match between two guys over one night? That';s more extreme than when Robert Jordan wrote the Grain Weevil saga in the middle of another series.

it was 4 years and its one of the best things ive ever read

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

20 years was Akagi, also written by the same guy.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Didn't that manga Kaiji or something spend 20 years, and 90 percent of its run, just covering a single mahjong match between two guys over one night? That's more extreme than when Robert Jordan wrote the Grain Weevil saga in the middle of another series.

I think that was Berserk and they were on a boat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

EndOfTheWorld posted:

David Hayter's Lupin is still my favorite. He's really good in that role. I want him to voice the character again for that CGI movie that's coming out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Didn't that manga Kaiji or something spend 20 years, and 90 percent of its run, just covering a single mahjong match between two guys over one night?

it was akagi. the manga ran 27 years, and the arc itself lasted 20. it wasnt like there were massive delays either, the manga took some breaks but it was 200 chapters with an average of about a chapter a month. 4 chapters would go by between tiles being played.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kaiji at one point spends 4 whole chapters on flipping a card over

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did Akagi pull of some voodoo poo poo that flipped Washizu's wig to defeat him? Did he break down and sob uncontrollably before becoming the shell of the person he used to be after?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Endorph posted:

birdy the mighty decode season 2 is maybe my favorite anime (its that or turn-a gundam) but season 1 of decode is decent but nothing amazing so rip

I remember renting what must have been the first part of the ova literally 20 years ago. I would have been somewhere in elementary school age at the time.

Years later I tried finding it again but couldn't. It wasn't until earlier this year I saw a Twitter thread where I recognized the character and finally got the name of it. I really need to actually go back and watch it now.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

it was akagi. the manga ran 27 years, and the arc itself lasted 20. it wasnt like there were massive delays either, the manga took some breaks but it was 200 chapters with an average of about a chapter a month. 4 chapters would go by between tiles being played.
How they manage to take it over that length wtf?
Flashbacks? Long-rear end breakdowns? someone burps?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Garrand posted:

I remember renting what must have been the first part of the ova literally 20 years ago.

Years later I tried finding it again but couldn't. It wasn't until earlier this year I saw a Twitter thread where I recognized the character and finally got the name of it. I really need to actually go back and watch it now.

the birdy ova is cool too. decode's very different, more thoughtful, but its still a really good series. decode's sort of a reboot but if you watch the ova and enjoy it i still recommend it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rockit posted:

Heavy emphasis on the psychology behind every action and move.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Rockit posted:

cant say ive read akagi but if its like kaiji its mostly a psychological character study

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rockit posted:

flashbacks, long-rear end breakdowns, the protagonist going 'I COULD discard this tile... but what if he has THESE tiles in his hand... but if i discard THIS tile...' for entire chapters, cutaways to side characters also discussing what tiles people might have in their hands

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spark That Bled posted:

But then you're just arguing for subs, because at least they keep the original dialogue.

They don't though, because literal translations aren't really a thing

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

How does the manga handle the over the top narration?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

one chapter: should I do this?

next chapter: no

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

One of my favorite dubs that no one else cares about is the Mushishi season 1 dub, because that’s how I first watched the show.

Sadly, nowhere online has season 2 dubbed :(.

(In the late 2000s, Funimation had a cable channel that showed their dubs and while I’m pretty sure I was the only person on earth who watched it, it introduced me to a lot of shows. Mushishi, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (or rather the manga, which I was introduced to through the terrible anime), and xxxHolic (same) were the only ones that stuck with me.)

(Sorry Ouran, I just don’t like romances.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EndOfTheWorld posted:

god that era of baddubs was so good. We were past the 'big green' era of 'uh this is in moonspeak, just make poo poo up' but still before these places had, ya know, budgets for translation, so half of dub work then was just 'I gotta fill time whoobiedoobienyehehe' or exposition from off screen characters shouted out rapidly to give context the dub lost.

'hey that says here come lupin the third in japanese!'

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They don't though, because literal translations aren't really a thing

I'm talking about the original Japanese voice track.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

sexpig by night posted:

god that era of baddubs was so good. We were past the 'big green' era of 'uh this is in moonspeak, just make poo poo up' but still before these places had, ya know, budgets for translation, so half of dub work then was just 'I gotta fill time whoobiedoobienyehehe' or exposition from off screen characters shouted out rapidly to give context the dub lost.

'hey that says here come lupin the third in japanese!'

Also, and I'm thinking of the DiC Sailor Moon dub, there was a sense among anime for kids that you essentially had to have a character constantly talking or have some action on the screen or the kids would get bored and leave. That's how you got stuff like establishing shots and quiet moments cut and adding in flashy scene transitions.

Still unironically enjoy the Lupin the Third part 2 dub. They added a bunch of unnecessary extra jokes (including some really dated references), but I still like the tone it creates and it makes for a really enjoyable watch if you don't mind the dub being not always faithful to the original script.

(And speaking of Twitter and toxicity, that's where I finally found people who not only dislike the Ghost Stories dub, but actively wish it had been faithful to the original script. Madness!)

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYAKLa3CETk

The lockpicking lawyer has a new toy for utterly destroying locks for fun.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

the ghost stories dub would be cooler if it didnt mistake saying slurs for comedy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Also, and I'm thinking of the DiC Sailor Moon dub, there was a sense among anime for kids that you essentially had to have a character constantly talking or have some action on the screen or the kids would get bored and leave. That's how you got stuff like establishing shots and quiet moments cut and adding in flashy scene transitions.

Still unironically enjoy the Lupin the Third part 2 dub. They added a bunch of unnecessary extra jokes (including some really dated references), but I still like the tone it creates and it makes for a really enjoyable watch if you don't mind the dub being not always faithful to the original script.

(And speaking of Twitter and toxicity, that's where I finally found people who not only dislike the Ghost Stories dub, but actively wish it had been faithful to the original script. Madness!)

Lupin Part 2 is unironically a masterpiece dub, yea, it fits Lupin's manic style for that season and their massive over the top 'we fuckin love european heist stories!!!!' stuff. A rare case where the dub method of 'we can't just have a quiet moment, have the inspector be all 'rawrgrrrrrr lupin ill get you some day rawrrrrrrr'' works because yea that guy would be rambling and ranting like a weirdo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Junpei Hyde posted:

the ghost stories dub would be cooler if it didnt mistake saying slurs for comedy

Sure, jackass.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah, talk about jokes that don't hold up. (Also I think it got dubbed right around the time South Park was starting to take off, so I blame that for how many "Leo's a cheap Jew!" jokes they stuck in there)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Cannot Be Tamed has a new video about her video game book and strategy guide collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE7EwM2tn3o

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spark That Bled posted:

I'm talking about the original Japanese voice track.

Yeah and English subs of that are still not the same thing

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

that being said, "fill the hole, hole filler" is the peak of comedy

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

that being said, "fill the hole, hole filler" is the peak of comedy

The constructions workers were clearly the best characters. Like the stair remover who said something like "I gotta get home to my trailer trash wife and kids I bet you can't wait to grow up"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I think i'm due for a rewatch of Kiki's Delivery Service.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Assassination Classroom is fun but everyone calling one of the female teachers a slut in the Japanese voice track really killed it for me

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

watho posted:

Assassination Classroom is fun but everyone calling one of the female teachers a slut in the Japanese voice track really killed it for me

the literal translation is bitch which is uh... not better

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The NGE Netflix translation sucks for being way too literal and losing any nuance that could be gleaned from a less ardent translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The NGE Netflix translation sucks for being way too literal and losing any nuance that could be gleaned from a less ardent translation.

Kaworu telling Shinji "I love you" Is my new "Han Shot First"