Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Picnic Princess posted:

I noticed last night that my aunt unfriended me on Facebook at some point. Guess she got sick of me leaving her mean and insulting messages on unread. I'd blocked her and the rest of my immediate family from seeing anything I post for the past half year anyway, because I was tired of being lectured on how lovely and lazy and stupid I am whenever I felt like complaining about a bad day or a setback to my recovery or whatever. I figured unfriending would just create all sorts of stupid drama so I just blocked them all, but if they want to remove me, hey by all means have at it.

Hell yeah. Love when toxic people drop off your social media on their own.

trickybiscuits posted:

Asking how this glurge couldn't touch somebody's heart is like force-feeding a person corn syrup and then accusing them of not having taste buds when they object.

If my grandmother (whom I do have fond memories of) sent me this spiel, I would have thought she had a stroke or was on strong pain meds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I think it is also telling that the grandmothers saccharine spiel about her 16 year old grand daughter is nothing to do with the girl as a person.

It is all about cutesy Hallmark moments of the Grandparent giving her stuff, (I gave you stuff so you must therefore love me), and the little girl acting cutesy, passive and/or grateful.

So it is less a "I love you, and you have grown into a fine young woman." letter, and more a "I remember when you were too young to look critically at things, and therefore accepted my bribes with the suitable level of enthusiasm, childishness, and with none of the backtalk I got from your ungrateful parents."

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

underage at the vape shop posted:

If you use Facebook's block feature it removes them as a friend, if you choose who your posts are visible too it does not.

Yeah, so far as I know if you block someone using Facebook's block feature they straight up can't see your profile, your posts or any of your content at all.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ah, I should clarify it's not a full block, it's the filtering who sees a post function. If I changed the post settings to all friends or public, they could see it. I'm sure they can see all my comments and likes on public posts, but none of that is personal life stuff, it's meme poo poo. So they can't see anything I talk about because I've chosen them individually as people who my posts are hidden from.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Quoted myself by accident

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I've got mine set up to make my posts visible to everyone, except my mom. For thread relevant reasons.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah I've got mine set up to make my posts visible to everyone, except my mom. For thread relevant reasons.

The problem is when you change your filters, forget to change them back, and then Vaguebook something the person you were screening recognizes.

And that's the last time my ex girlfriend ever talked to me :v:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
So there's an update on the lady whose son and daughter-in-law hurt her terribly by not appreciating everything she did on their recent visit, such as

quote:

After not hearing from him for 2 weeks our ES came on Facetime with our grandson

It was so good to see him.

His fiance came into the picture and started to say something about us inviting them first week in December and not being sure if she could get off from work, etc. I had offered to pay the airfare and they are taking a rather cheap airline so my son said $600 would be fine- so I am sending that.

Now as her mother has moved to our state although 6 hours away she wants to come down to visit- and has gotten time off.

They are flying in Thanksgiving night and staying with us for 6 days then renting a car driving north to visit her mom and flying home from a northern state airport

I was kinda in a state of shock

Well, if anyone has been following this last year they visited the same week and time

She told me what a disappointing visit it was- we did not “meet their expectations.”

Well, last nite I took the bull by the horn and told her she hurt my feelings last year with the visit and her not liking it

So asked her to give me a list of what she expected.

She rattled off things like going to Goodwill stores to see if there any nice things for GS as she likes buying things at thrift stores. I said great, so do I and we can do that. She then said going out after dinner for ice cream. I asked if Culvers was ok as it is near our home and she said yes. Perhaps perhaps a dinner out at Olive Garden which we did not do last year as baby was sleeping, perhaps an evening in the downtown area where we could walk around as a family and take some photos, perhaps us watching our grandson so they could have a date night, lots of home cooking as she likes my cooking. I asked what else and she was silent. She said she needed a swim suit and as she thinks we are the same size asked if she could borrow mine. Well, I am a smaller size than her but have a suit that I bought before losing weight and said she could have it. Problem is she thinks she is a size 12-14. I weight less and wear a size 16 as I am taller- the suit I have is an 18 and I think it would fit fine- hope she is not offended- but she will not fit into my size 16s yet alone the 12 and 14s I have! Hope this is not an issue- she did not want to buy a suit so I said she could use one of mine.
I offered the beach and zoo. She said zoo would be good but they did not like walking in sand on the beach so no beach.

I told her I had bought some beach toys for GS a while back and that our community has a lake with a beach. She said that would be great as would spending time at our community pool. I said we could heat our pool and spa- but we think that the community pool would be more fun for GS as other little ones would be there including my friend’s grand daughter who is visiting same week.
I asked what else she expected and she said maybe pizza for lunch and tacos that we made last year together for dinner.

I asked what else? She said nothing- that would do it.

I told her I had written down everything she said so that I would meet their expectations and asked if I missed anything as this had to be a good vacation for all of us. She said no- that was it.
I then asked for what food they liked for me to cook- she said Thanksgiving dinner the day after they fly in as they were coming in late on Thanksgiving I said fine. She asked for Cyrstal Light and Coke and I said I would get those things.

I said I would buy diapers and also get some juices that GS likes. I am also buying swim diapers for GS.
I now have a list on paper of what she expected and I am hoping that the visit will be better than last year.

Seems now that her mom and step dad are moving to our state there is a big push on to visit here. She is taking GS to Disney near her mom’s home which I think is a bit foolish as he is not even 2 years old but I said nothing- none of my business I suppose.

So, I am excited as I really want to see my GS but also a bit nervous that this may be a repeat of last year.

I think asking for a list and writing it all down will prevent any misunderstandings- I was thinking of e mailing her a list of what we talked about and asking her to add anything that she thought of so I could do everything to make this a great trip. Do you think emailing what we discussed is a bit much? It would all be in writing so no one can then say trip was the pits again?

Last year ended very badly- not looking for a repeat.

Any advice or suggestions?
All the things the daughter-in-law are asking for are pretty minor, I bet the criticism of the last visit was pretty minor too and this woman just have severe, untreated Borderline Personality Disorder- she previously called her son's failure to call her after a hurricane in her area "abuse" and wrote the line "They hurt my husband so much by criticizing a dish he made as lacking enough shrimp". Normal people don't react that way. "It was okay, but it needed more shrimp." "WHY ARE YOU LITERALLY MURDERING YOUR FATHER?!"

sidenote: the thrift store bit spoke to me a lot because a few years ago my dad and his gf and I went to visit my brother in a part of the world I'd never visited before and I wanted to see what the thrift stores were like (yes, it's stupid, but you can learn a lot about a place by its thrift stores and also I love thrift stores). If I hadn't tactfully suggested a visit to a mall, I would have spent a six-day trip not getting to do a single thing that I really wanted to do. I was mostly there to see my brother, but it would still have been sad.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

trickybiscuits posted:

sidenote: the thrift store bit spoke to me a lot because a few years ago my dad and his gf and I went to visit my brother in a part of the world I'd never visited before and I wanted to see what the thrift stores were like (yes, it's stupid, but you can learn a lot about a place by its thrift stores and also I love thrift stores). If I hadn't tactfully suggested a visit to a mall, I would have spent a six-day trip not getting to do a single thing that I really wanted to do. I was mostly there to see my brother, but it would still have been sad.

What part of the world has a thrift store be the highlight of the visit? Was it just they wanted to sit and watch TV together all day? There wasn't local cuisine to explore?

Not trying to attack you at all, just wondering what part of the world is worse than Ohio.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

What part of the world has a thrift store be the highlight of the visit? Was it just they wanted to sit and watch TV together all day? There wasn't local cuisine to explore?

Not trying to attack you at all, just wondering what part of the world is worse than Ohio.

Sounds like somewhere in Florida that isn't Orlando or Miami, and thus sucks. And Orlando is mainly considered good because Disney

To expand, most of Florida is a humid hellmouth of strip malls, pawn shops, and gun stores loosely tied together by swamps and trailer parks. It's humid pretty much all the time and outside of the cities where interesting groups of immigrants landed is infected with the worst of the stereotypical deep South angry white people culture.

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 22, 2019

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The problem is when you change your filters, forget to change them back, and then Vaguebook something the person you were screening recognizes.

And that's the last time my ex girlfriend ever talked to me :v:

fuckin win win scenario amirite

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trickybiscuits posted:

So there's an update on the lady whose son and daughter-in-law hurt her terribly by not appreciating everything she did on their recent visit, such as

All the things the daughter-in-law are asking for are pretty minor, I bet the criticism of the last visit was pretty minor too and this woman just have severe, untreated Borderline Personality Disorder- she previously called her son's failure to call her after a hurricane in her area "abuse" and wrote the line "They hurt my husband so much by criticizing a dish he made as lacking enough shrimp". Normal people don't react that way. "It was okay, but it needed more shrimp." "WHY ARE YOU LITERALLY MURDERING YOUR FATHER?!"

All those requests are really reasonable and normal people would think it was good to talk about what they want to do before a family visit so plans could be made, but there's something about the way she is going about it that makes it seem like she thinks her DIL is super entitled and unreasonable. Like I always have this conversation with my parents before we visit them: we want to go to X, Y and Z, hang out with A and B, eat blah blah whatever, and then my mom can coordinate plans with other people and buy groceries and poo poo before we get there. Imagine how bonkers it is for her to type up "go to zoo, eat tacos" in an email and send it to the DIL like it is a binding contract. Also since she's having this reaction when everything the DIL wants to do is completely mundane and normal, I'm guessing that on the last visit they were expected to sit around and watch TV with OP and her husband all day or "just talk" or something.

Also lol at how she is falling all over herself to call DIL fat.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
So I'm the one who cut off my mom because she lied to other family members and told them I had a life threatening condition I didn't have. She has never reached out to me or the family to apologize for lying.

Found out today that she thinks I'm the toxic one and she's cut me off. Hey guys apparently having boundaries and limits with lovely family make you toxic!

Here I thought maybe I hadn't heard from her because she was respecting my boundaries.

:sigh:

Oh well it certainly makes it easy to never reach out to her. If I'm toxic then I should stay the hell away from her amirite.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ebola Roulette posted:

So I'm the one who cut off my mom because she lied to other family members and told them I had a life threatening condition I didn't have. She has never reached out to me or the family to apologize for lying.

Found out today that she thinks I'm the toxic one and she's cut me off. Hey guys apparently having boundaries and limits with lovely family make you toxic!

Here I thought maybe I hadn't heard from her because she was respecting my boundaries.

:sigh:

Oh well it certainly makes it easy to never reach out to her. If I'm toxic then I should stay the hell away from her amirite.

Yes. Respect her boundaries and go live a fulfilling life

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ah yes, the ol' 'I'm not the toxic one, you're the toxic one!' gambit.

I had a toxic friend (keyword being 'had'). Cut contact with her after years of bullshit.

Lo and behold, I later got wind that way she was spinning it was she had cut me out of her life (stating the exact reasons I had laid out to her).

It's some kind of damage control/saving face thing/controlling the narrative thing.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I was home for Xmas break one year during college, and my dad (an eternal morning person) ran into me (someone who volunteers for night shifts) before I'd had my caffeine or Cheerios. He gave me a big hug and effusively told me how great it was to have me home, and I deadpanned, "Yeah, you just have me over to fix your computer."

An hour later, he's knocking on the door as I'm brushing my teeth, telling me how hurt he was that I thought he was so shallow, and I had to explain to my dad, who is both married to my mother and who raised me, both of us being queens of loving sarcasm, that it was a joke

Some people just aren't equipped to parse sarcasm.

your father sounds absolutely adorable and you should treasure him

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

LadyPictureShow posted:

I had a toxic friend (keyword being 'had'). Cut contact with her after years of bullshit.

Lo and behold, I later got wind that way she was spinning it was she had cut me out of her life (stating the exact reasons I had laid out to her).

It's some kind of damage control/saving face thing/controlling the narrative thing.

the more they post about it on Facebook, the more likely they are the toxic one

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

StrangersInTheNight posted:

your father sounds absolutely adorable and you should treasure him

Absolutely! He's great. His obliviousness is a feature, not a bug :3:

I think my favorite story is from the time I was trying to sell my car, and without any sense of irony, he tells me, "You should really do something about all the junk in your trunk."

My mom, who has heard a song or two on the radio before, starts trying to hold in a laugh as I deadpan, "Yeah, Dad. What am I going to do with all that junk. All that junk inside my trunk." Mom loses her poo poo, and my poor, confused dad is sitting there like, "But really, there's a lot of junk in there, you should clean it out before someone wants to look at it. I don't get why this is funny. Am I missing something?"

Light Gun Man posted:

fuckin win win scenario amirite

Hell yes. It took a few years to realize it, but my life is significantly better without her in it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

My mom is a total loving nutcase. Histrionic, bipolar, clinical depression, boomerism, the works. She's been getting into nature photography lately, and keeps making friends who are also totally loving nuts. A recent ex-friend was this crusty old fart, a retired teacher who never got married, never had any kids, eats like a garbage compactor, is a terrible photographer and keeps causing drama with other people.

Said crustbag became bitter enemies with someone that my mom started becoming friends with. Crustbag got upset when my mom chose to go on a weekend trip to a neighboring state for photography. The crustbag made this big todo about cutting my mom off and saying how hurt she was about the whole thing.

Then, my mom went to Staples and a friend of the Crustbag was working there. She started to hassle my mom and saying how much she’s heard about all my mom’s negatives and how hurt the woman was for my mom simply making a new friend. Now I’m hearing how hurt my mom is for this woman behaving like this and nobody involved can simply chill the hell out.

Everyone involved is a ridiculous petty boomer idiot, and I wish I didn’t have to learn about it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Boomers are a lot like small children

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Beachcomber posted:

Not a highlight, just something I wanted to do. I ended up spending something like five days straight going to tourist places and doing things that my dad and his girlfriend wanted to do. Which wasn't terrible; they were interesting things, and my dad was adorably happy to ride a streetcar, but enforced togetherness gets tired after a while and I wanted to spend a little time on my own. After a few more trips with family it became clear that I need to know in advance what the plan is or speak up about what I want to do. Things have gone much better since then.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I feel bad for grandkids exposed to abusive grandparents. Severing was much easier when the kiddos came along.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

OMFG FURRY posted:

the more they post about it on Facebook, the more likely they are the toxic one

Haha that's actually how I found out she thought I was the toxic one. Social media was a mistake.

just another posted:

I feel bad for grandkids exposed to abusive grandparents. Severing was much easier when the kiddos came along.

Before I had kids I got along really well with my mom and it was like I was totally blind to all her bullshit. Then I got pregnant and it was like I suddenly had a bullshit detector. Simply because I started picturing my daughter being treated that way and it would just fill me with rage. First of all, I couldn't imagine treating my own kid the way my mom treated me, and I also didn't want my kid being treated horribly by her grandma.

I also think that having a grandkid does make them worse. They get some weird entitlement complex. When I was pregnant and I found out I was having a girl she actually thanked my husband for her first granddaughter. Like, wanted to get him a gift and everything. Because, and I quote, "it's the guy who determines the sex of the baby"

:stonk:

I wish I could say I stopped talking to her then

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

Here's someone who's such an expert at gaslighting they attack their daughter and make themselves the victim.

quote:

Last Sunday I went out for dinner in a local restaurant with my husband. We came home at around 10pm. At 11.30 the police came. Again. They told us that our child was in hospital and that she had been badly beaten, her face had been stamped on by someone wearing a trainer shoe. They asked to see my shoes and I agreed. I told them that I am 57 and I don’t wear trainers. My husband asked what was going on. The police told him that our daughter was in hospital, had been badly beaten and had made a statement that it was me, her mother, that had hurt her.

We said we had been out for dinner and that we have not seen our daughter for months. My husband paid cash for our dinner, we had no receipt and the restaurant was closed for the evening.In spite of everything we told them about our history, at 1am I was arrested in my home, cautioned and taken to the police station in our city centre.

I spent the next 18 hours in a police cell alone. I have NEVER done anything wrong in my life. It was so dreadful. A concrete bench to sit on and a steel toilet in the corner which was dirty. I sat on the edge of the dirty bench for the whole time.

When the restaurant staff arrived at work and confirmed to the police that we were there I was released and driven home by two detectives. They were apologetic, but I could not wait to just get into my home.

I am so angry, but our solicitor says we do not have a case as our daughter made three separate statements to three different detectives stating it was me and they acted on that at the time. They may now charge my daughter for misleading them and giving false evidence.

I am so traumatised by this. I can’t rest, I have such terrible flashbacks to sitting in that cell. It was so awful. At the same time I am out of my mind with worry that my daughter is so hurt.

Yet how could she do that to me? Who would ever accuse their own mummy of that?

I am beside myself with hurt, grief and trauma and I have no idea where to go from here. How can this happen?

I have tried so hard to move on and build a new life, now I am do broken and I don’t know how to begin to put it all together again. Where do I go from here?

TP x

quote:

I am sharing the following because it best explains where we go next.

“In wrongful arrest cases, the burden of proof lies on the Police – they must prove they were acting lawfully and you do not have to prove they were not. People are sometimes arrested because they were misidentified by either the police or a witness but if the arresting officer honestly believed you were the right person, this is a defence for the Police against being sued for wrongful arrest.”

In my case neither officer present felt it necessary to arrest me, but the officer in charge on that night felt that statements from my daughter were evidence enough.

We met with our solicitor today and have decided to pursue a wrongful arrest claim. We are not doing this in the hope of winning’ as my lovely Aussiemom said, the police stick together to defend. Rather it puts our case on record which will protect me in the future. Potentially it also opens the door to our solicitor having conversations which may or may not help us to understand what is going on. At the moment we have no idea which is frightening. In the meantime we have applied for a restraining order which should serve two purposes – protect us and send a clear message ‘do not try to hurt us’.

As for me , I’m not doing so well dear friends. I have the option to go into a private facility to help me and I think I will probably do that because I am very, very lost right now and afraid of myself much less anyone else.

Will keep you updated, thank you all for your unconditional love and support. Please know that you have been my lifeline.

Sheri, all my love to you. My mum has sherry in a crystal decanter and you can only drink it between 3 and 5 pm. Britbox has much to learn! I love you x

It was nice that she contradicted her original post with her update. "They arrested me and put me in a dirty cell how traumatizing! Oh but they didn't feel it was necessary to arrest me."

In case you're wondering, no, no one calls her out on the inconsistency in the replies.

The classic Costanza thought process. It's not a lie if you believe it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think she's saying that 2 out of 3 officers didn't think it was arrestable but the last one nailed her

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So if she's not the one that kicked her daughter in the face...isn't she curious as to who was? She doesn't even attempt to offer another explanation other than "Nuh-uh!" like a kid with magic marker all over their hands.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So if she's not the one that kicked her daughter in the face...isn't she curious as to who was? She doesn't even attempt to offer another explanation other than "Nuh-uh!" like a kid with magic marker all over their hands.

Yeah uh, I would think the first thing on my mind would be “who assaulted my child????”

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ebola Roulette posted:

It was nice that she contradicted her original post with her update. "They arrested me and put me in a dirty cell how traumatizing! Oh but they didn't feel it was necessary to arrest me."

In case you're wondering, no, no one calls her out on the inconsistency in the replies.

You're not reading very good.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah the story scans to me, assuming she's not making poo poo up.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It's probably likely that the daughter didn't tell the officers, but instead the police just going to the most likely place where child abusers are - their own parents. Pretty sure that is standard procedure in most places.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

just another posted:

Ugh yeah I always figured that if I have a kid my mom would never be allowed near it alone. Maybe see it for like 5 minutes but that's it. She thinks it's good to hit kids.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Michaellaneous posted:

It's probably likely that the daughter didn't tell the officers, but instead the police just going to the most likely place where child abusers are - their own parents. Pretty sure that is standard procedure in most places.
It's not really clear how old the daughter is, but if her parents are getting a restraining order against her she's not a minor. Late teens early twenties probably?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Account McAccount posted:

Ugh yeah I always figured that if I have a kid my mom would never be allowed near it alone. Maybe see it for like 5 minutes but that's it. She thinks it's good to hit kids.

Mine would refuse to call them and blame the kid for it until they day she dies. And I would totally support my kid in ignoring her right back. A relationship isn't a job where you're required to fulfill certain expectations according to your "How to be a child/grandchild" rulebook and if you don't fulfill them, you deserve to be lectured about being a lovely child.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

Well this weekend was eventful, and only rehashed the same old same old.

Back in August, when everything hit the fan, I had somebody confide that Although our DIL had acted concerned to my face about ED she actually was pot stirring (running back to ED, and juicing things up). ED Had mentioned to me she knew what we’ve said, but never said who; she then told a friend who had been telling her. So I casually mentioned to our DIL something I said was misunderstood and repeated by someone ( I didn’t say what or who said it, nor was my tone snotty). Next thing I knew the DIL wrote a text calling me all kinds of names; when my DH defended me she then turned the nasty on him saying she wants no contact with us. To us that screamed guilt.

So this brings me to this weekend. Our DS came over, said I accused his wife and we should apologize since the holidays are coming. I told him I didn’t accuse anyone, I had just mentioned somebody said something , but that her reaction was to blast me with derogatory names so I will not apologize. He sat thru the entire discussion with arms crossed, expecting me to back down, which neither me or my DH would do.

Then on Thursday my DH and I rec’d an email from ED. The email was very long, blaming us for causing this mess. She was still angry about being removed from our bank account, said some rather insulting things, and told us how she was sticking with her boyfriend Jim. We wrote back we didn’t take her off of the account out of fear she’d “steal” from us, but instead I listed the many counts of theft on Jim’s record, and said actually we protected her since if Jim was tempted to embezzle she would have been holding the bag. As far as Jim goes we don’t trust him, so if she wants to interact with us that’s fine but we want nothing to do with him. Needless to say it’s been 4 days now and she hasn’t written back.

From what I’m seeing, it sounds like the estranged adult children pop up from time to time in email and text?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

trickybiscuits posted:

Not a highlight, just something I wanted to do. I ended up spending something like five days straight going to tourist places and doing things that my dad and his girlfriend wanted to do. Which wasn't terrible; they were interesting things, and my dad was adorably happy to ride a streetcar, but enforced togetherness gets tired after a while and I wanted to spend a little time on my own. After a few more trips with family it became clear that I need to know in advance what the plan is or speak up about what I want to do. Things have gone much better since then.

My parents don't have this issue but my girlfriend's parents are awful about it. They're actually visiting this weekend and I gatecrashed their group text in an attempt to have some tiny bit of control over what the plan ends up being. Because if I don't we'll be booked from the moment work ends to late Friday night to early morning to boozy night and then expected to get up early the next morning and do it all again.

I refuse to sacrifice appropriate sleep hours, especially when we're drinking I need time to recover from that poo poo but her mom's some kind of psychopath who seemingly does not.

... not that any of this compares with anything else in the thread, just standard parental nonsense

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I had to delete my Facebook around the time my first wife and I separated because my older sister's response to the news was "That's too bad...you should call Dad, he had acid reflux the other day and he's worried it may be the signs of another heart attack"

That was the exact moment I realized that none of them gave a poo poo, and cut off all contact. And no, he didn't have another heart attack.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Ebola Roulette posted:

Here's someone who's such an expert at gaslighting they attack their daughter and make themselves the victim.

if you read between the lines she got arrested and they let her out on the grounds that she get a 72 hr hold and she is trying to spin it like she wants the 72 hold and its her choice. have fun getting out of a 51/50 if cops are involved. assuming the uk has such a law.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snergle posted:

if you read between the lines she got arrested and they let her out on the grounds that she get a 72 hr hold and she is trying to spin it like she wants the 72 hold and its her choice. have fun getting out of a 51/50 if cops are involved. assuming the uk has such a law.

Yeah, she really glossed over being institutionalized there.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snergle posted:

She says she was let out the next day because the restaurant staff corroborated that she and her husband were there at the time of the attack. I think she's saying that she may go into inpatient treatment on her own volition, after the fact. This one, I don't know, it sounds like the mother might not belong on that message board. She was wrongfully arrested, and the police are considering pressing charges against her daughter. (If she's not lying.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
man i wish this thread was full of funny stories

i try to imagine my mom passing away and whether i'd have the courage to go visit her grave. i'll never forgive her but a part of me feels like if i could see her in the ground at least maybe i could tell her that our past is buried with her and i can try to move on. maybe even leave a flower, i dunno