Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Has anyone in this thread brought up the makita 40v stuff yet? As a makita person, I sure as poo poo ain't buying new batteries / tools. But i don't really need any new tools anyways so :shrug:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Tres Burritos posted:

Has anyone in this thread brought up the makita 40v stuff yet? As a makita person, I sure as poo poo ain't buying new batteries / tools. But i don't really need any new tools anyways so :shrug:?

I'm waiting for the battery wars to enter the backpack models. Like a flamethrower just a cable connecting to your tool in hand.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

JEEVES420 posted:

I'm waiting for the battery wars to enter the backpack models. Like a flamethrower just a cable connecting to your tool in hand.

Or a battery bank that's too big for the tool, it sits on the floor, maybe close to the wall and you have a cord that runs to it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Or a battery bank that's too big for the tool, it sits on the floor, maybe close to the wall and you have a cord that runs to it.
Except for drills/drivers, I've always felt that the 'UGH CORDS!' complaint feels like the first 30 black and white seconds of the infomercial where the mom throws eggs all over the kitchen. Cordless, but with a cord to the battery, sounds like the next perfect solution looking for a problem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JEEVES420 posted:

This would work well for some tools. Others use the weight of the battery as a counterbalance and putting it in a backpack would make the tool more tiring, not less.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

You know, I've often toyed with the idea of buying Ego's inverter so I can use my big 56V batteries for this very purpose

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are any of the benchtop 9" Bandsaws out there worth the money, or are they all just variations of rebranded chinese junk?

I live in a condo, and need something for cuts that my scrollsaw can't handle, but I see a lot of reviews for these small bandsaws where they bog down on anything.

I have a Ryobi bandsaw and..it’s a bandsaw which is a great thing to have for many things.

I’d rank the small bandsaw up there pretty high on the list of tools to have.

We redid hardwood floors and I needed all new thresholds cut to fit the weird shapes of the old house. Only a bandsaw could really do it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Except for drills/drivers, I've always felt that the 'UGH CORDS!' complaint feels like the first 30 black and white seconds of the infomercial where the mom throws eggs all over the kitchen. Cordless, but with a cord to the battery, sounds like the next perfect solution looking for a problem.

Derail to corded-
I bought a corded Makita R.O. sander with bag and/or hose attachment to do a bit of flooring in my kitchen. 3 amps, whereas the old Porter Cable I've had for 20 years (no dust collection) that's gone through 2 pads is 5 amps. I literally could lean on the Makita with all my weight and it not bog down. It was worth every bit of the price just to sand 10 sq. ft of flooring in the kitchen with virtually no fwiggen dust released. :mrgw: This color, this color right here!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I look forward to the day when you're got a cordless tool, that plugs in to a battery in the wall, and you have unlimited power for like days at a time and you have multiple..... Lets call them outlets around your house where you can plug in this cordless tool to get power for doing various household jobs.

Also; What a good brand of bench top vise? In other words, whats a good Store brand vise? Currently at work we've got a beat rear end Princess auto one that has the jaw inserts missing and to loosen it you turn the handle one way a few turns, then pull the sliding jaw out, then turn the handle, pull etc. It didn't do that when we first got it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

Stihl and husky have had those for ages for blowers and weed eaters

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Amazon has a 2 pack of Dewalt 20v 5ah batteries on sale for $110 today. https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCB205-2-Lithium-Battery-2-Pack/dp/B00KQU1ENG

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Amazon has a 2 pack of Dewalt 20v 5ah batteries on sale for $110 today. https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCB205-2-Lithium-Battery-2-Pack/dp/B00KQU1ENG

Thank you. I've been needing to replace a couple dead ones. That's a good deal.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

wesleywillis posted:

Also; What a good brand of bench top vise? In other words, whats a good Store brand vise? Currently at work we've got a beat rear end Princess auto one that has the jaw inserts missing and to loosen it you turn the handle one way a few turns, then pull the sliding jaw out, then turn the handle, pull etc. It didn't do that when we first got it.

Record and Bessey make decent bench top vises. Wilton is great, especially the older ones, but you would have to search for one outside of a big store.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Falco posted:

Record and Bessey make decent bench top vises. Wilton is great, especially the older ones, but you would have to search for one outside of a big store.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I literally came back to the shop half an hour ago to a 6 or 8 or something inch vise sitting on the desk.

Its princess auto brand so probably in another year or so I'll have to recall this post :suicide:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
With how cheap usb power banks have gotten, I think someday soon somebody is going to mass produce a cheap, open source smart battery that provides several standardized DC voltages and built-in daisy chaining. Then it will slowly take over the tool market as manufacturers realize they can now sell tools without a battery for the same price.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I freaking love my cordless tools, anyone who disagrees has not been saved by our Lord and Savior, Lithium Ion.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nevets posted:

With how cheap usb power banks have gotten, I think someday soon somebody is going to mass produce a cheap, open source smart battery that provides several standardized DC voltages and built-in daisy chaining. Then it will slowly take over the tool market as manufacturers realize they can now sell tools without a battery for the same price.

I suspect that manufacturers love having their own battery ecosystems because it increases the friction if someone wants to buy a tool from another manufacturer. It's the same kind of thing that lead to there being hundreds of different phone charging cables back in the day, before IIRC legislation stepped in to force them to standardize.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nevets posted:

That's not going to be a thing.

DeWalt is drat near at the razor model at this point: sell the thing at cost, have expensive consumables. Also lock in to their ecosystem.

I guess I shouldn't say never, but right now this opposite the current business model.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Actually, E-Waste regulations might save us here again by requiring a standard to reduce battery throwout. Someone just has to tell the EU about it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I suspect that manufacturers love having their own battery ecosystems because it increases the friction if someone wants to buy a tool from another manufacturer. It's the same kind of thing that lead to there being hundreds of different phone charging cables back in the day, before IIRC legislation stepped in to force them to standardize.

A quick search only shows one Chinese law, everything else I saw was a voluntary standard. I think saving money and space by combining the data & charging port is what standardized phone chargers. If it was legislation I think we'd have micro USB on everything.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

angryrobots posted:

I freaking love my cordless tools, anyone who disagrees has not been saved by our Lord and Savior, Lithium Ion.

In fact, praying for the battery to charge faster so you can finish your cut is actually a good thing. Don't go get the corded tool, just pray harder!

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

I don’t think they really do. It only helps a couple brands that are on top. Everyone else would benefit.

Even brands like DeWalt have crappy selection of 12V which turns people away even if they like dewalt’s drill. And there are a good number of other companies that just have a couple one-off cordless products (I’m recalling a specialized paint strayer).

I’m also surprised no established player has licensed out there batteries for markets they don’t care about (cordless sewing machine, camping blender, who knows).

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 18, 2019

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Motronic posted:

Thank you. I've been needing to replace a couple dead ones. That's a good deal.

Speaking of, my 14 year old 18v dewalt batteries are starting to die. Any decent aftermarket ones?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Speaking of, my 14 year old 18v dewalt batteries are starting to die. Any decent aftermarket ones?

Not that I've found. But if you find some let me know.

I've been using: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Adapter-for-18-Volt-Tools-DCA1820/206525714

FYI, leaving a 20v battery on that seems to kill it. Sometimes so dead that you can't even jump it over from a good one to get the charger to recharge it - or perhaps those batteries were already so spanked that this was the issue and why I'm buying that 2-pack.

I'm not the only person in my direct real life circle of friends who has noticed this though, so I think it's probably a thing. I just haven't gotten curious enough to actually disassemble poo poo and pull out meters to confirm. I just try to remember to take the 20v batteries off the adapter when I'm done.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

It would be pretty sweet if a tool manufacturer designed a battery pack that used spring loaded slots for holding standard 18650s, so that you can just replace them instead of replacing the entire unit/control electronics. Of course, this will never happen, because Teal/Yellow/Red love that they can sell you about $50 worth of cells with $2 of plastic and electronics for $150.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I could see something like that running into issues with how hard a lot of cordless tools are treated. A 6 foot ladder drop doesn't phase my Makita/Dewalt/Ridgid 18v gear, but I'd be afraid of something like that shattering.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Been looking for an angle grinder for the last few weeks, finally pulled the trigger on a Makita XAG20Z for $122 on Amazon. First project will be installing the metal railing on the front porch that the wife has been bothering me about for the last 4-5 months. I'd mostly seen it bouncing between $150-160, when I saw it drop this low I snagged it without a second thought.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I could see something like that running into issues with how hard a lot of cordless tools are treated. A 6 foot ladder drop doesn't phase my Makita/Dewalt/Ridgid 18v gear, but I'd be afraid of something like that shattering.

https://syonyk.blogspot.com/2016/09/dewalt-20v-max-30ah-battery-pack.html?m=1

Feel better now?

I swear I saw a DIY magazine a couple years ago where a dude even rebuilt one. I’d be all for a safely repairable pack.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think the liability for something like that would be tough.
I swear I can recall someone posting a blog where they rebuilt a Li-Ion battery pack and allegedly (I'm not an electrical engineer) it was done horribly wrong.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
My Japanese style Irwin Marples saw is officially pissing me off. It's actually possible it cuts more on the push stroke than pull, about ready to toss it.

Thinking of getting a saw I can sharpen myself to avoid that from happening, any reccomendations for a good tenon style saw? Or if budget is a factor is it better just to get any old miter saw and sharpen the blade right away?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

I think the liability for something like that would be tough.
I swear I can recall someone posting a blog where they rebuilt a Li-Ion battery pack and allegedly (I'm not an electrical engineer) it was done horribly wrong.

maybe you are remembering Ken's post about the "braile" brand battery he disassembled?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

maybe you are remembering Ken's post about the "braile" brand battery he disassembled?

Yeah, who knows. I just remember some reddit(?) post or something where the guy put new cells in a Li-Ion tool battery and some electrical engineers piped up and were all "thats wrong because of X,Y,Z, you're going to burn your house down". And of course because internet, the usual poo poo storm ensues from both sides of the coin.

"well at least he's trying"

"Yeah, but wrong, house burny downy"

"You ain't got the guts to actually TRY and do something"

"Here's why thats a major fire hazard"

And so on.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tool question: framing nailers. I've been reading up on framing because I'm going to build a cabin, nailing the frame together seems to require 8d nails, about 3mm? Yet some tool companies sell what they call a first fix nailer that takes 18ga nails, about 1mm.

Can you do framing with 18ga nails? If not what do you need size wise?

It bugs me that framing by hand all the documentation I've read uses penny sizes, nailers all use gauge and when I went looking for nails to put in these things half are listed by metric size.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Tool question: framing nailers. I've been reading up on framing because I'm going to build a cabin, nailing the frame together seems to require 8d nails, about 3mm? Yet some tool companies sell what they call a first fix nailer that takes 18ga nails, about 1mm.

It bugs me that framing by hand all the documentation I've read uses penny sizes, nailers all use gauge and when I went looking for nails to put in these things half are listed by metric size.

12d to 16d for framing stick to stick. 8d is for plywood or sheathing to frame. Iirc, 8d is 2 1/2", 12d is 3", and 16d is 3 1/4" length. No, not 18ga, don't even ffs, that's strictly thin interior molding size and wouldn't have a broad head.

edit- the gauge is the wire thickness size, with the higher it goes, the thinner the wire. Typical interior trim is 15 to 16. Idk what framing nails gauge is, probably 8.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
um mods this old man is haunting me when I don't respond fast enough^^^

cakesmith handyman posted:

The 18ga isn't for what you want. I've used bostich a lot and liked them in the past. How big is the cabin going to be?

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 21, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The 18ga isn't for what you want. I've used bostich a lot and liked them in the past. How big is the cabin going to be?

When I read 'cabin', my mind goes immediately to log cabin. Idk if there's a retail version of something that would drive the spikes for the shell for that, although the interior and roof would ostensibly be traditional framing lumber. I worked on one that was an abandoned mid-build clusterfuck, but there was something so organic and cool about it.

Bostitch are fine, just about all the brands I've seen are okay. Prices for a framing gun now are absurdly cheap compared to back in the day. Thanks :china:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
On the topic of nailers, does anyone know of a corded electric finish/trim nailer? Plenty of pneumatic options, and even a few battery options, but I can't find one with a cord. I have 12v Milwaukee system, and sadly they just have a stapler.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Something to be aware of with framing nailers: a 16d nail is a 1/8" thick, 3.5"-long steel spike. It takes a lot of force to project one of those things through construction lumber. I personally found it sufficiently unnerving that I just hand-hammered all of my 16d nails and only used the nailer for sheathing and other smaller stuff.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Something to be aware of with framing nailers: a 16d nail is a 1/8" thick, 3.5"-long steel spike. It takes a lot of force to project one of those things through construction lumber. I personally found it sufficiently unnerving that I just hand-hammered all of my 16d nails and only used the nailer for sheathing and other smaller stuff.
They don't seem to be super popular, but I've used a palm nailer to drive in a lot of big rear end nails that I didn't have a gun for and it was not necessarily faster than doing it by hand, but it was far less effort.

https://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC0781-Pneumatic-Palm-Nailer/dp/B000087QPD/ref=pd_sbs_469_t_1/140-5103304-5222118

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, a palm nailer is also useful to have, especially if you need to drive a nail somewhere where you don't have room for swinging a hammer or the full-size nailer. I found mine a little tricky to work with; it required a very specific "approach" to drive the nail effectively, so I stuck with swinging a hammer for most nails. But you do want a palm nailer handy when doing construction IMO.

I didn't get up to the Larry Huan level of "drive a 16d nail with a single swing", but with a little practice it's not too hard to drive the nail with only a few swings.