Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Wha...? Crapsnacks, I knew I shoulda locked down tha console before going for a frappalatte. So I'm fresh with running queries for folks, but I need some letter votes before tha input access times out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

PoultryGeist posted:

Wha...? Crapsnacks, I knew I shoulda locked down tha console before going for a frappalatte. So I'm fresh with running queries for folks, but I need some letter votes before tha input access times out.

Um what letter options??

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Toughy posted:

Um what letter options??

A: PC3868769 or B: PC3868769IR

(Translation: I'm cool with answering folks questions, but I need some plot votes too :) )

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 16, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm dense, weekday would we be picking for this choice, in particular?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Volmarias posted:

I'm dense, weekday would we be picking for this choice, in particular?

Whether I load up PC3868769 and we see what has happened to the timeline, or I load up... whatever the hell PC3868769IR is.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

PoultryGeist posted:

A: PC3868769 or B: PC3868769IR

(Translation: I'm cool with answering folks questions, but I need some plot votes too :) )

Thanks totally missed that, that's why I thought we had to work through the computer code:doh:

A

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Toughy posted:

Thanks totally missed that, that's why I thought we had to work through the computer code:doh:

A

(No worries, I've been having fun cosplaying as a Space-server farm)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

A

> SEARCH PC KEYWORDS BOUDICA
> SEARCH PC KEYWORDS SOVEREIGN
> SEARCH PC KEYWORDS SOLOMON
> SEARCH COMPARE BOUDICA SCYLLA
> SEARCH COMPARE SOVEREIGN SOLOMON
> SEARCH COMPARE SOVEREIGN SCYLLA
> :ovr:

Edit:

> SEARCH PC KEYWORDS OKAFOR
> SEARCH COMPARE OKAFOR SOVEREIGN
> :ovr:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 16, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Note River is present in both threads.

In A I assume we'd be playing as a River that never went to Liyongo because the Solomon NHP never lost their crew and went crazy. Thus they went on some other mission and never met any of River's allies from Liyongo including Scylla.

In B I think we're looking at the version of River from the end of our last mission that was being paradoxed out of existence. Looks like Sy yanked them out before they could get langoliered.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
B

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Volmarias posted:

A

> SEARCH PC KEYWORDS BOUDICA
>SEARCH returns 1,930,451 Possibility Collections containing: BOUDICA
>>IDENT: ||:Prime/SOVEREIGN/Sub3:aa
>>>Primary Competency Molding: Military Logistics
>>>Secondary Competency Molding: Military Command and Control, EWAR Systems
>>>Note: Most Stable SOVEREIGN subjectivity, 15% increase in Shackle Integrity Index over SOLOMON and REDACTED:SOVsub1

> SEARCH PC KEYWORDS SOVEREIGN
>SEARCH returns TOTALITY Possibility Collections containing: SOVEREIGN
>>IDENT: ||:Prime04
>>>Removed from Prime Storage Facility by UIB Working Group VANOWEN. Current Location REDACTED:redacted

> SEARCH PC KEYWORDS SOLOMON
>SEARCH returns 1,930,451 Possibility Collections containing: BOUDICA
>IDENT: ||:Prime/SOVEREIGN/Sub2:bd
>>>Primary Competency Molding: Civilian Logistics
>>>Secondary Competency Molding: Military Command and Control, Colonial Concierge
>>>Note: Use as an intitial colonial admin has been discontinued, subjectivity has been found to tightly bond to small groups

> SEARCH COMPARE BOUDICA SCYLLA
*ERROR: Designated Entities are not valid Possibility Collections
*** WARNINGWARNINGWARNING
> Entity [SCYLLA] AKA MEDUSA AKA ||:Prime/HOUND/Sub1:xXx AKA HOUND AKA dog AKA The Beast of the Shadowed Portal AKA The Cur of Mars is under Informational Blackout, MIDNIGHT WANDERER Clearance. If this entity has been encountered, immediately contact Union Intelligence Bureau Working Group VANOWEN and Union Naval Task Force CHARYBDIS.

> SEARCH COMPARE SOVEREIGN SOLOMON

> SEARCH COMPARE SOVEREIGN SCYLLA
*** WARNINGWARNINGWARNING
> Entity [SCYLLA] AKA MEDUSA AKA ||:Prime/HOUND/Sub1:xXx AKA HOUND AKA dog AKA The Beast of the Shadowed Portal AKA The Cur of Mars is under Informational Blackout, MIDNIGHT WANDERER Clearance. If this entity has been encountered, immediately contact Union Intelligence Bureau Working Group VANOWEN and Union Naval Task Force CHARYBDIS.

> SEARCH PC KEYWORDS OKAFOR
*ERROR: Entity Too Broad
>Do You Mean: [OKAFOR, CLADE], [OKAFOR:Lastname/Liyongo], [OKAFOR:Lastname/Tegan's World], [OKAFORISM, ORTHODOX], [OKAFORISM, Millennialist]

> SEARCH COMPARE OKAFOR SOVEREIGN

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
//:LOADTHREAD: B PC3868769IR

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
You’re falling. You’re rising, fired out of a cannon. You’re speeding sideways. You’re moving in every direction at once, as the immensity of the Possibility Tree collapses upon you, folding into yo-

Stars, swirling around you. Occasional flashes of some sort of grey space-potato, rapidly increasing in size. Then you realize that the screaming isn’t just you, its also your suit’s altitude sensor, blaring an extreme speed warning. You halt your mad spinning, but the moonlet’s surface continues to grow. Suddenly-

-you’re not alone in the sky. A small shuttle, GMS-T1 maybe, is speeding a few meters away. The side hatch opens, and a figure reaches for you. Its Queen, braced in her Goblin by one leg. For a moment her hand snags yours, but the grip is broken by mis-matched acceleration. The hand of her hardsuit explodes, and a mass of dark fluid whips out of it and wraps around your arm before solidifying. Now firmly gripped, they heave you and themselves backward into the hatch and it closes on your tumble of meat and machine.

Almost immediately the shuttle begins to decelerate, the vehicle’s superstructure groaning at the strain. You hear snatches of a familiar voice between the scream of the engines, and everything suddenly stops. You might have been hurt if you hadn’t been buried under nearly a tonne of frame and pilot. The inner hatch of the airlock opens, and you are roughly pulled from the tangle and held up in midair. A familiar dark and horned figure stands before you, disconcertingly solid.

”rear end in a top hat! "You edited a timeline live, WHILE YOU WERE IN IT! Idiotic doesn't begin to describe your actions human, and the only reason you exist right now is because the Universe passed you like a kidney stone. Not even We would attempt so foolish an edit, and We have space and time twisted around Our finger.”

There’s muffled laughter as Queen extracts herself from her frame. She pops up helmetless, and you would have gasped if OSIRIS-4 hadn’t been choking you slightly.

Okafor, but with a few more years behind her. And a cyber-eye and some sort of… ferrofluid arm? She smiles broadly and extracts you from the subaltern’s grip. ”Be nice Sy, River just pushed back WORMWOOD’s awakening by decades for over five thousand Liyongos.” She pops your helmet for you and gives you a standard Okafor bone-crushing hug. You weren’t expecting the kiss on the cheek though.

Sy pointedly looks away from the displays of affection. “He’s still an idiot, subaltern. We were barely able to get the three of us disconnected from 3868769 before the conversion hit. You could have been stuck as an, *ugh*, Armory user.” Sy’s posh, ethereal accent breaks, revealing a much more course dialect. ”And I woulda been left alone, ya goomba.”

Okafor(?) slings a friendly arm around your and Sy’s shoulders, looking back and forth with an encouraging smile. ”Rivers may indeed be a bit rash and foolhardy, but at least this one is our rash foolhardy River. Eh? Eh?” A ping sounds, and a holo of another (slightly) familiar figure appears.

”Hey guys! So, the Good News is that I managed to crash into Deimos at a much lower velocity this time. There’s hardly any mess to clean up!” BOUDICA(?)’s smile wavers slightly and another holo appears, this one showing a robed figure waiting just outside the shuttle’s crashzone. ”The *ahem* Other News is that The Voice would like to speak to Mr. River. Uh, like, Right Now.”

A: What The gently caress Is Going On?
No seriously, wtf?
B: Why Yes, Let’s Talk To This ‘The Voice’. I’m Totally Not Going To Run Away As Soon As The Hatch Opens!
Psych! I’m totally going to run
C: Why Yes, Let’s Talk To This ‘The Voice’. I’m Totally Not Going To Run Away As Soon As The Hatch Opens!
Hey, it can’t be any weirder than what happening in here right now. Right?
D: HALTHREAD, LOADTHREADPC3868769
Screw this, try the other timeline

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 18, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Are we stuck in someone else's head again?

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
C

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

gently caress it, Can't get any weirder right?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C Being visibly confused never made anyone less confused.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I just thought of something, if we altered the timeline drastically enough in the main thread, that means technically River never got paid for any of this poo poo.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Good to have River back. C.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The edges of your vision grey slightly, and you know that you just need to get out. Whatever is waiting for you outside can’t be half as wierd as what’s inside. You extricate yourself from Queen, and grab your helmet. ”Oui, we shouldn’t keep such an important person as…” You’re brain locks up, but Not-BOUDICA chirpily interjects.

”The Voice of the Godhead, Mr. River.”

”The Voice of the Godhead. Merci, BOUDICA.”

Not-BOUDICA’s holo glitches out for a second. ”Just Bo please, Mr. River. BOUDICA was… someone else.” You make a quasi-articulate sound of acknowledgement and cycle the airlock, sealing your helmet just in time.

Not waiting for a ramp or ladder to unfold, you hop down to the surface, stumbling when you find something akin to normal gravity. Resolving to not think about it, you recover and hop across the rubble. This Voice stands firm and unmoving, nodding slightly when you draw near.

”Glad you could make it River, despite the last-minute interference.” They hold up a combat injector, offering it to you. ”Would you like an anti-adren? It’ll take the edge off of what just happened.”

You would like to be able to stop the jitters, but Mamie didn’t raise someone that took drugs from weirdos. ”Non, merci. I’m good.”

The Voice chuckles and puts the injector away. ”That is a lie, but I respect the sentiment. Very well, to the point. I’m here to offer you a job River. The business with APEP was what you’d call an audition of sorts. And while your solution was quite unorthodox, you did resolve the issue. So the Godhead would like to offer you a position as one of their agents. With all the perks that entails.”

You give The Voice a skeptical look. ”What, you want me to join HORUS? Quite a bit of effort after you lot already gave me a Gorgon-” You’re cut off by a loud guffaw. The Voice makes a show of wiping a tear from one eye-slot.

”Please River, HORUS are useful idiots at best, and those ones-” they indicate Queen’s shuttle, ”are just a trio of traumatized children play-acting as heroes. No River, I’m offering you a spot as one of the Godhead’s trusted troubleshooters, a position that comes highly rewarded in whatever form of compensation you choose. Manna, fast ships, attractive companionship, it can all be yours.”

“That’s a sweet deal, but what does a God need with a Lancer?”

The Voice shrugs dismissively. ”The Universe is a vast place, and not even the Godhead can be everywhere at once. And some situations are easier to influence by human means.” they pause for a second, and continue in a slightly conspiratorial tone. ”Also, I think that they enjoy watching human shenanigans. There were certainly a few extra bets in your death pool.”

Before you can say anything The Voice looks skyward, head cocked in confusion. They backpedal, and you start to feel the ground underneath you vibrate.

HURT posted:

And hell followed with him!

Tonnes of greywash fall out of the sky, slamming into the regolith where you stood. But you’re already in motion, Queen’s Goblin (Absolute Destiny Apocalypse written along one arm) clutching you tightly as it drunk-bird runs away. It slides to a stop and sets you down, and your HUD flickers as the outline of a rock outcropping appears in front of you. The pursuing greywash bounces off it, and you feel HURT’s rage in the soles of your feet. There’s a pop in your helmet and you’re looped into Queen’s commchannel.

”I can’t tank even a wounded Balor, and that Eidolon won’t fool that many co-processors for long. I need another player on the field!”

”And We are telling you subaltern, that We cannot simply live-edit a Gorgon. The Zheng is in storage, or We could provide a squad weapon or two. Those are the choices!”

Oka- Queen turns to you, her body language fearful. ”So, ah, how good are you with melee combat?”

A: Give Me the Zheng
A strange frame is better than no frame
B: Give Me a Plasmacaster
A smaller but more effective weapon may be the better option, even if it leaves you on foot.
C: Why Did You Stop Running?
Seriously, run like hell and get out of here.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
A

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A, get in the mech, River.

Also I'm cracking up that the Balor followed us through the time hole. Honestly I hope it just keeps showing back up like our own personal Mr. X.

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
A

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kai Tave posted:

I just thought of something, if we altered the timeline drastically enough in the main thread, that means technically River never got paid for any of this poo poo.

And even if he did, his credit union is currently in a non-accessible timeline. And you don't want to ask about Deimos Savings and Loan's interest rates.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

PoultryGeist posted:

And even if he did, his credit union is currently in a non-accessible timeline. And you don't want to ask about Deimos Savings and Loan's interest rates.

their interests are many, and their rates use a lot more scientific notation and greek letters than their competitors

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

get in the mech, River

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
A strange frame is better than no frame when faced with angry greywash. ”Give me the Zheng!” OSIRIS-4 sniffs a possible acknowledgement, and you start prepping your hardsuit interlinks. ”I’ll run interference, but I’m gonna be a bit slow without the licenses. Be ready to take advantage of any opening.”

Queen’s response, something that sounded like ‘won’t be a problem’, is drowned out by a loud ‘LAUNCHING’ from the shuttle. A small canister is ejected from the shuttle, not much bigger than you. Before you can question, the canister’s walls twist and expand, separating out to reveal a full sized frame. The Zheng slides to a stop in front of you, and you see that the entire dorsal plating is covered in a bodhisattva mural. Xiong Xiaoli resplendent, her nose bloody and her fists taped. No time to soak it all in, you’re clambering up the frame and into the cockpit. Its already booted up, the displays green.

IPS-N ZHENG MASTER CONTROL posted:

*Core Power: ONLINE
-WARNING: It has been 910 days since your last SYNCTEST, Pilot River
*Total Strength Suite I-III: ONLINE
*SCC Full Subjectivity Sync: ONLINE
*Xiaoli Combat Sheathe: ONLINE (Boomfist)
-Molten Wreathe Mod:ONLINE
*Variable Blade: ONLINE
*D/D 288: ONLINE (Mega Boomfist)
*Paint Job: Bitchin’
"Any problem can be solved by punching, true fact. What, world hunger? Please, I could end this famine in a week with the suitable application of fists!"* -Xiong Xiaoli, 4982u

You flinch as your suit syncs with the Zheng’s systems, the legionspace activating. Suddenly you aren’t piloting the frame, you are the frame. And no Unauthorized Pilot alarms, for reasons you’re piecing together. Looking down at the Goblin you point to the jumble of rocks around the shuttle. ”Get yourself to cover, mon ami.” Turning to HURT you activate the variable sword and cock the D/D 288, and strike a dramatic pose. ”Alright espèce de grosse merde, let’s dance.”

The greywash roars and flows around the holographic blockage, reforming closer to you as a barely humanoid mass of spikes:

SilAn: Berserk-class/Balor p-g, Threat Level: Elite

Queen is already in motion as HURT lashes out at you with a mass of spikes, but you easily dodge out of the way thanks to the FSS. Steam jets from ‘Baby’s’ reactor as the D/D 288 hits peak charge and you bring it down onto the center of the swarm-mass. It hardens under the impact, but is still knocked away from you (and Queen/the shuttle). Spinning gracefully you grab a boulder and hurl it at HURT, but the swarm loosens enough for the projectile to pass through it. Its still another bit of cover between Queen and the swarm though.
(HURT Attack vs Evasion: 4, Miss)
(Baby D/D 288 vs Evasion: 11 Hit, Moderate Damage)
(Total Stretgh Suite Attack Agility Check: 19, No Damage)

The Balor seems to have learned its lesson, and fires a small mass of itself at you. It hits and eats away at your plating, but you knock it off before it can harden and immobilize you. You charge, and notice that an identical Zheng charges alongside you. With a swift lunge you slash at HURT, cutting it deeply. It bellows and catches you a heavy blow with a spike-mass, but your momentum carries you around the swarm-frame, and you lash out with the Zheng’s elbow.

(HURT Ranged Attack vs Eva: 15, Hit Light Damage [12 on Agility Check, no Immobilize])
(Baby Varible Sword vs Eva: 20/CRIT, Moderate Damage)
(HURT Berserk Attack: 19, Hit Moderate Damage)
(Baby Zheng Auto-damage: Light Dam, Structure Loss[Ranged Attack destroyed])

HURT shakes the ground again with its fury as something inside the swarm explodes. It abandons its quasi-form, and tendrils of greywash fly away from you at high speed. Your comm crackles. ”I can hold it in place for a little while, do we finish this now?”

A: Hold It Down, It Still Needs Punching!
B: Don’t Bother, If It Comes Back I’ll Just Beat It Again

Note: Any more damage and Baby will lose a structure. HURT is also faster than Baby if Queen can’t pin it down

---
*According to historical record, the Corinthian blockade of Regis 7 ended five days later, allowing emergency aid shipments to resume.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 24, 2019

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh sweet merciful gently caress, we have "I CAST FIST!": The Mech. :allears:

I'm not sure what to do here, I agree with the sentiment quoted during the boot sequence though

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

A, better to not have to worry about it

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kai Tave posted:

Psst by the way:

Just to refresh memories, the IPS-N Zheng

Oh, and Xiaoli's original name for the D/D 288 was 'The Horse-Killing Palm'

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
A

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah just keep punching.

The Zheng is a great mech with one small caveat, namely that it is absolutely dogshit at anything resembling electronic warfare. If we're going to continue to play to River's strengths in that department, we're going to want to hit up a printer.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah just keep punching.

The Zheng is a great mech with one small caveat, namely that it is absolutely dogshit at anything resembling electronic warfare. If we're going to continue to play to River's strengths in that department, we're going to want to hit up a printer.

Bah, the best form of EWAR is crushing opposing processors with your fists!

Also, the 'just keep punching' makes me think of an alternate-timeline Finding Nemo, where instead of meeting an amnesiac fish its an aquatic Zheng

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A Punching is best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Returning to my previous post, A, I CAST FIST