Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

shiksa posted:

njpws "levels of heelishness" system is great especially with all the large factions they have.

it makes so much sense and it's basically exactly how I would want to classify wrestlers if I ran something.

LIJ v SZG matchups 4evr

The units aren't perfectly homogenous either. For example Bullet Club has Ishimori who mostly just cheats to help out his partners but can have a clean fight and his promos are mostly about boosting himself, and Jay White as an unrepentant fuckhead who will never show fighting spirit and completely hates the crowd and other units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah, fighting spirit is extremely important. The Japanese crowds will show their appreciation for a cheating rear end in a top hat who also displays fighting spirit. See: Suzuki, Taichi

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What does catering mean? I mean, I know what catering is, but does it have a special significance here? e.g.:

TheKingslayer posted:

Imagine paying the Revival, Orton, and Cornette to suck complete rear end in a company full of young hot up and coming talent.

Imagine being hot up and coming talent and signing to be buried and your value reduced in NXT catering. lol

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

What does catering mean? I mean, I know what catering is, but does it have a special significance here? e.g.:

It just means not being used on TV. You might make the house show circuit but you're just being paid not to work for anywhere else.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Edit: yeah

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
"Sitting in catering" is about as literal a phrase as you'll ever come across in wrestling, but it's only really been applicable to two eras: current WWE buying up every independent talent they can trick into signing their prime years away just so someone else can't have them, and late-era WCW (1999-2001) keeping a bunch of old timers' friends and family (like Hulk Hogan's nephew Horace, or Randy Savage's brother Lanny Poffo) on the payroll to keep them happy because WCW didn't know how to do anything other than spend money.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The more insidious thing about their current practice is the talent they are starting to buy is young enough that WWE can flat out stop them from making more of a name for themselves unlike guys like Kevin Owens or Finn Balor. I think Atlas signing is a huge mistake for him because in five years there can already be someone with way more buzz than he has once he's done with WWE if ever.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

to elaborate a little more, in the wwe (and wcw before/concurrent with it) a wrestler who is called in to work a show, but ends up not being used is considered stuck hanging out in catering waiting for their name to appear on the show's format. It was considered a sign of wasted resources/poor management because you would fly/drive out to the show people who weren't going to appear because you needed everyone on deck since the roster of the show wasn't finalized before travel time became impossible to make.

Eventually, since WWE has a monopoly that is only recently being challenged in a meaningful way (with multiple simultaneous competitors evolving on the scene outside of it) they could afford to hire people for the sole purpose of not using them, thus leaving them "stuck in catering at shows" forever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That is depressing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pollyanna posted:

That is depressing.

Ah, I see you're understanding completely then. Because yes, it is.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

That is depressing.

The last few years of main roster WWE, combined with the Saudi bullshit and all the backstage trashfires that get reported on seemingly every day, have really sapped the trust and good will of pretty much everyone who posts here. The few remaining people who can still find stuff to enjoy just don't post in WWE threads anymore because it either gets lost in a sea of shitposting and negativity or ruthlessly picked apart and argued with, which nobody really felt good about.

There's a wrestling renaissance happening right now and it has next to nothing to do with WWE, and is in fact happening DESPITE their best efforts. Aside from Britwres, though. They all pretty much bent over backwards to destroy their own scene to be able to call Triple H their dad on twitter and tell fans they're idiots and that the scene is alive and well as the coffin is being lowered into the ground.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Memento posted:

This is only peripherally-related to wrestling talk, but does the WWE Network still use flash player? UFC fightpass uses it, and as far as I can tell, has about a year to roll out something else, and no announced plans to do so.

No, they updated it a couple of months ago.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

There's a wrestling renaissance happening right now and it has next to nothing to do with WWE, and is in fact happening DESPITE their best efforts. Aside from Britwres, though. They all pretty much bent over backwards to destroy their own scene to be able to call Triple H their dad on twitter and tell fans they're idiots and that the scene is alive and well as the coffin is being lowered into the ground.

This is the main reason I think no one should support WWE. If you really do love pro wrestling WWE has to go because they'll do everything in their power to kill the industry outside of their narrow view of what it should be.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
their attempts to try it in Japan are funny though since they're trying all of the tricks they attempted in the UK and most promoters of note seem to be telling them to go gently caress themselves - Stardom sold to Bushiroad partially because WWE could not tell them what the plans for NXT Japan actually were (even down to the person in charge, when they'd start and what sort of touring schedule they'd have) while Bushiroad could give them all sorts of plans that they had to grow Stardom as an independent thing; they failed to buy NOAH with Lidet buying them instead and allegedly Dragon Gate told them to gently caress off as well.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
NOAH and stardom telling wwe to get lost because they had no plan makes the British strong style guys insisting that nxt UK was GOOD for British wrestling even funnier

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I know there were signs that problems were mounting for Britwres before they all signed death pacts with WWE, but it's really funny that the scene nose dived right after.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Spikegal posted:

In the end it comes down to Juventude Guerrero and Ciclope who have a little chat followed by Juventude eliminating himself. Jericho gets in the ring to challenge him now only for Ciclope to take his mask off and ITS DEAN loving MALENKO THE ICEMAN THE MAN OF A 1000 HOLDS AND HE KICKS JERICHO'S loving rear end.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The NXT UK/Britwres story is fascinating to me. I am a fan of the NXT UK guys getting paid and having more exposure. But they're no longer allowed to work independent dates at all anymore? Plus I'm not a massive fan of Progress and Jim Smallman is an odious man who spends far too much time talking about himself and his "comedy" career when he should be announcing a wrestling show. But then again, he's leaving Progress to work at NXT UK full time I hear.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

I loving love EVERYTHING about this lmao. I can still hear tony in my head during this segment.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
I guess this is the right time and place to ask this, but somehow i dont get all the complaining people do when someone signs a contract .

Are they mad that their favorite is no longer performing for small crowds for a (i imagine) quite small play? And now they make more money which i assume is every wrestlers goal?

Are people someway disapointed or feel let down that someone chooses money? I dont get the constant negative posting and complaining about creative and catering
Are people seriously thinking that somehow spending time in WWE is lessening someone? Make them worse? I see it as someone is making money, not getting hurt and hopefully building a future so they dont have to tour the world when they are 70 years old and break their body for cheap pops and gifs

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 21, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheCool69 posted:

I guess this is the right time and place to ask this, but somehow i dont get all the complaining people do when someone signs a contract .

Are they mad that their favorite is no longer performing for small crowds for a (i imagine) quite small play? And now they make more money which i assume is every wrestlers goal?

Are people someway disapointed or feel let down that someone chooses money? I dont get the constant negative posting and complaining about creative and catering
Are people seriously thinking that somehow spending time in WWE is lessening someone? Make them worse? I see it as someone is making money, not getting hurt and hopefully building a future so they dont have to tour the world when they are 70 years old and break their body for cheap pops and gifs

It's not always for more money, some of the top indie guys and certain Japanese wrestlers (Io and Kairi) took pay cuts to go to NXT. People don't like seeing their favorites sign and end up in a company that's historically lovely to workers with terrible creative. They get that wrestlers deserve to make money, but it's a bummer to see some of them sign.

Especially early this year when it was wrestlers who agreed to NXT deals before the AEW bidding war really began.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheCool69 posted:

If you’re not used or managed well, there’s no guarantee the bolded will actually happen or continue to happen, now or in the future.

vvv Good point. Expanded the bolding.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

They probably are getting hurt

Like, look at how often women in NXT who basically are never on the show end up injured, for long periods of time. Look how Ciampa had a neck injury pushed from bad to devastating because they had to have him on Smackdown for three weeks for some reason. It's a constant thing. On Raw and Smackdown you have schedules that are like Saudi Arabia to Buffalo the next day to the UK right after, back to the states, and then flying again a day or so after. You never get a chance to rest. I wouldn't have nearly so much of a problem with people going to make money if it didn't have such a crazy schedule.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheCool69 posted:

Are people seriously thinking that somehow spending time in WWE is lessening someone?

Part of it is "this sucks, I won't get to see my favourite dude wrestle anymore" because WWE is both horribly immoral and just doesn't make for good wrestling matches. They have a house style, some people clearly like it but I think it's boring, ludicrously samey and restricts a lot of guys from doing the poo poo that got them signed in the first place.

Personally I don't begrudge any wrestler for taking the money, it's a short career and the pay on the indies is not that good unless you're hustling insanely hard like Chris Hero did or The Young Bucks did. And to get the number of bookings they got in the varied places they got you've obviously got to get to a certain level of notoriety/fame. But I am sad as a fan of non-WWE wrestling when to me signing with WWE is basically the same as retiring, I'll see exactly as many matches. Especially when there are more options than in 15 years for wrestlers to go get paid outwith the WWE: AEW & New Japan being the big 2. Bryan Danielson is an all-time favourite of mine, he's amazing in the ring, terrific charisma, great at the little things, he's just great, but the last match of his I saw was Survivor Series last year against Brock Lesnar. Before that the last match of his I have a recollection watching was Wrestlemania XXX, 2014. It's a long loving time. And meanwhile I'm looking at a frankly not amazing wrestler in Jon Moxley having a hell of a time in the G1 & just wishing I could see The Best In The World against Tomohiro Ishii.

It's not that being in WWE lessens them as a talent, but it does put constraints on what they can show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Draxion posted:

They probably are getting hurt

Like, look at how often women in NXT who basically are never on the show end up injured, for long periods of time. Look how Ciampa had a neck injury pushed from bad to devastating because they had to have him on Smackdown for three weeks for some reason. It's a constant thing. On Raw and Smackdown you have schedules that are like Saudi Arabia to Buffalo the next day to the UK right after, back to the states, and then flying again a day or so after. You never get a chance to rest. I wouldn't have nearly so much of a problem with people going to make money if it didn't have such a crazy schedule.

This too, the WWE schedule is by far the most dangerous for wrestlers long term health.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Spikegal posted:

So in WCW, Jericho hounded almost every cruiserweight, none more than Dean Malenko. He beats Malenko, takes his title and then makes fun of Malenko all the time after he takes time off to mourn the passing of his father.

This goes on for a while, all the while Jericho keeps dominating the cruiserweight division, sometimes never even taking his belt off in a match. All this leads to a big battle royal to crown his next challenger. Before the match starts Jericho introduces all the entries making fun of their names.

In the end it comes down to Juventude Guerrero and Ciclope who have a little chat followed by Juventude eliminating himself. Jericho gets in the ring to challenge him now only for Ciclope to take his mask off and ITS DEAN loving MALENKO THE ICEMAN THE MAN OF A 1000 HOLDS AND HE KICKS JERICHO'S loving rear end.

something wwe has totally forgotten is that comeuppance is great and heels acting like massive dicks is fine as long as they get their rear end kicked for it

nowadays it's all swerves and DQs and bluhh

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yinlock posted:

something wwe has totally forgotten is that comeuppance is great and heels acting like massive dicks is fine as long as they get their rear end kicked for it

nowadays it's all swerves and DQs and bluhh

I mean WCW wasn't exactly good at it. Hell in this story Jericho immediately gets the belt back.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

TheCool69 posted:

My favourite wrestlers are mostly Japanese women and I think that the WWE track record on those proves that they don’t do well long term there, so why should I care about them? For me I don’t get angry but it’s a sad thing; but I’ll find other people.

The AEW track record on those people is more positive so if, say, Ryo Mizunami signed a deal with AEW my reaction would be “great, that’s awesome” rather than “well she’s getting paid but it sucks to lose her”.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheCool69 posted:

On top of everything people have said, it actually can make people worse. Lack of ring time and WWE's narrow view of what 'working properly' is being drummed into wrestlers who absolutely do not work that style can result in regression. Especially when resisting the indoctrination like Chris Hero or Buddy Murphy (or Seth Rollins) can get you a reputation as 'unteachable'.

And at the end of the day, wrestlers are performers. Ask any friend you have who's been in a band or done acting if they'd have been happy to sign a deal with a major label/studio to sit in a green room not performing. Sure, the money's nice, but never getting to do the thing you're good at can be incredibly demoralising. You see it with guys like EC3 and Mike Bennett.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The Alamo is showing a Nightmare Freddy vs. Super Leatherface match before the special NoES showing, and I love it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

The Alamo is showing a Nightmare Freddy vs. Super Leatherface match before the special NoES showing, and I love it.

i miss alamo drafthouse :(

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Did The Fat Boys ever appear in wrestling? Why not?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
When wrestlers debut a new move or finisher, the commentary team is usually given a heads up on what it's called, right? Has there been instances wherein the wrestler themselves say what the move's called?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

TheCool69 posted:

Imagine if your favorite wrestler was short had an accent and they signed for WWE. A company that regularly buries talent or just dosen't use them at all. This is a company with over 210 people signed and nobody is over, why would a new signing end up any different.

If they just want money that's perfectly fine with me, it's just disappointing if you want to see someone reach their full potential as a performer

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

Schneider Heim posted:

When wrestlers debut a new move or finisher, the commentary team is usually given a heads up on what it's called, right? Has there been instances wherein the wrestler themselves say what the move's called?

When Jericho debuted the codebreaker he went to the commentary booth and grabbed a headset to tell everyone the name of the move.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

When Jericho debuted the codebreaker he went to the commentary booth and grabbed a headset to tell everyone the name of the move.

im pretty sure jericho named the :judas: effect before commentary ever said it. in a video promo iirc, so not as good as that. i think it gets a new move p over honestly, but, again, you can't account for jericho. thats the REAL :judas: effect.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Wrestlers should scream the name of their finishing move as loud as possible when they do it

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Seams posted:

Wrestlers should scream the name of their finishing move as loud as possible when they do it

:hai:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I asked because I'm writing a wrestling story that follows kayfabe and it involves the main character busting out a never-before seen move which I have to name for maximum impact, so I'm going to just let them yell it out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ZSJ just screaming HURRAH! ANOTHER YEAR, SURELY THIS ONE WILL BE BETTER THAN THE LAST; THE INEXORABLE MARCH OF PROGRESS WILL LEAD US ALL TO HAPPINESS while wrenching on several body parts at once