Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The MaxJack looks perfect. It's probably 7-7.5 feet. I'd like to extend the garage into the basement which has at least 8 feet. Garage might not get full lift on the MaxJack, but would come close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The pic I posted is with 10' ceiling. Knocking 2' off that would be fine for outside the car stuff (suspension/brakes etc) but wouldn't be high enough to get under without a creeper.

I'd say quick jacks or a very high lift jack and nice stands.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The MaxJack would still give enough height to be comfortably under it with a reclining creeper at like 45°, and it's not too expensive.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NinjaTech posted:

You could buy or build a mobile gantry hoist. Then you could use it at the track as well. This one looks pretty awesome. http://www.mktechnologies.com/products/mkt/mkt_a-frame.htm Harbor Freight also makes one but it's huge and heavy at over 600lbs.
May weld up a copy of that one or see if I can snag a used one. That's the lift everyone uses and recommends but 2.5k buys a lot of tires and entry fees.

Mr. Powers posted:

What are the good options for garages too low for a lift? I've seen those jack-like things that go under the sides of the car, but I don't know what they're called.
I'll throw in another vote for the QuickJack, I've had it for a few months and it's really quick to setup and use.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

NoWake posted:

This place popped up for rent across from the gym I use, and it's all I've been able to think about. 1,800sf of shop space + 750sf of heated/cooled living space, with a shitter.

$700/mo + utilities. I'd seriously consider moving in and selling my drat house, only drawback would be my dogs losing their grassy yard. :(

Actually inquired about the unit since I'm planning to list my house for sale around the end of the year. I've never looked into commercial space before, and apparently $7 in the listing meant the rent per square foot, per year.

2,500 sqft -> $1450/mo, that's like double my mortgage, I'm out :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a 200 sq ft attic with a single bulb for illumination. I have an led up there but I was thinking about putting on of those 3 way LED lights up there. Is there a not lovely version of such a thing.

Will this burn my house down?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRJ6VWL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PdEPDbWC4KNYF

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I just put three of those in the 400 square foot unfinished area that runs the width of my basement and they seem well made and put out a poo poo ton of light.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Same brand?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah, those exact bulbs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nice, I'll grab some. Thanks dude.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I responded to an ad for a free cabinet and it ended up being an old RV dealer building and i got so much awesome stuff, including these massive things

They weigh about 400lbs a piece, and if the stamped steel poo poo is good for 500lbs a shelf, these have to be good for 10,000. I was hoping i could put my engines on the middle shelf and work on them there but they're just barely too big. It still gives me long term storage on bottom, wood storage on top, and a huge work area on the middle shelf where i can just leave projects in their own area, and store their bits in buns up top.

That blue bin in the second picture has like 20 bottles of metal etch, a bunch of rust proofer, rust converter, and rust encapsulating paint that looks, smells, and tastes like POR15.

I'm also set for life on cleaners. Nearly full 5 gallon pails and bottles of stuff that dilutes 120:1 and has 3 WHIMS symbols. Everything from waterless wash to tree sap remover to enzyme deodorizer to general cleaners.

And 500 square feet of peggboard and pegs.

I'm going to be so clean and organized. That was a good day, even if it left me insanely sore.

NoWake posted:

Actually inquired about the unit since I'm planning to list my house for sale around the end of the year. I've never looked into commercial space before, and apparently $7 in the listing meant the rent per square foot, per year.

2,500 sqft -> $1450/mo, that's like double my mortgage, I'm out :(

Commercial space is expected to earn a wage here, it's all $12/square foot here plus triple net. I just want space big enough to work on a truck, but it's all $2k/month, even as similar size storage spaces have dropped from $1100 to $400 due to massive over-supply.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Holy poo poo you cleaned up with that haul. Nice bonus is that the white pegboard should help to brighten up the garage a bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Insanely jealous of that shelving poo poo man.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

OMFG those shelves are awesome

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So since I am redoing a big chunk of our house due to a dishwasher leak, I'm doing a lot of the work myself. I am in the process of taking out some soffits in the kitchen and need to do some cutting. I figured... why would I use my old, beat-up Craftsman circular saw that I cut through the cord in the '90s and wire nutted it back together... when I could just buy a new Milwaukee m18 fuel 6 1/2" circular saw for the cutting. :D

Edit: poo poo, thought it was the tool thread. :(

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 18, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

OMFG those shelves are awesome

Seriously, what a great haul.

Most of my friends who have gotten great poo poo like that was because they were in the right place at the right time when some shop or store closed down. One of them has his garage ringed in shelving from a closed down CVS and drat commercial shelving is sturdy. And a lot of it is very configurable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

Most of my friends who have gotten great poo poo like that was because they were in the right place at the right time when some shop or store closed down. One of them has his garage ringed in shelving from a closed down CVS and drat commercial shelving is sturdy. And a lot of it is very configurable.

I can attest to this, my garage consists of the towel aisle of our former local Linens 'n' Things. Fully aluminum channeled slatwall is the solution to all of your storage woes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

So since I am redoing a big chunk of our house due to a dishwasher leak, I'm doing a lot of the work myself. I am in the process of taking out some soffits in the kitchen and need to do some cutting. I figured... why would I use my old, beat-up Craftsman circular saw that I cut through the cord in the '90s and wire nutted it back together... when I could just buy a new Milwaukee m18 fuel 6 1/2" circular saw for the cutting. :D

Why brzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz when you can BRRZT

Motronic posted:

Yeah, this i just happened to check the free section on kijiji 10 minutes after it was posted, said i could be anywhere in town in 15 minutes, and when i showed up said i would take everything and the dude just kept showing me cooler and cooler stuff. I'm still processing poo poo because my garage is a mess of half finished projects. but as far as immediately usable poo poo goes, i've got

2 large shelves
2 full walls of peggboard and ~300 pegs
2 full $1300 weight distributing hitches
3 partial weight distributing hitches
4 partial fifth wheel hitches
1 full 15k 5th wheel
~100 12"x48" bits of sheet metal from some unusable shelves
$45 from scrapping the broken shelves
~20 bits of usable thick gauge steel, including everything i need to put my engines together
2 24x24 rolling shelves, 1 is an awesome 4 tier 360 degree shelf that i'm going to redo with treated plywood
1 small weird display shelf thing
~$600 retail in rust fighters
~$2000 retail in cleaners
1 commercial portable air conditioner
1 water cooler i'm going to use to cool my computer chair

Add to that all the cabinets i got from that school reno, the filing cabinet that sorts all my fiddly bits, and the huge convection oven i picked up a few weeks ago for powder coating, and my $0 garage reno is going amazingly well.

Come at me, rust

I'm kidding, rust, please don't, please leave me alone forever.

the metal etch is just phosphoric acid. I spilled a little on the concrete testing it on my wheels and it ate a little bit.

https://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/30746821.pdf

legal exposure for employees is 1mg per cube, or 1mg per 264 gallons of water and they're selling it to people to clean rust off their RVs at 5% and 1.3 PH without any real warnings on the label.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh my god I have insane shelf envy. And lucky score envy. Very nice find.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

Yeah, this i just happened to check the free section on kijiji 10 minutes after it was posted, said i could be anywhere in town in 15 minutes, and when i showed up said i would take everything and the dude just kept showing me cooler and cooler stuff.

Yeah, dream scenario. Dude was just done and wanted his space back/wanted his wife to stop complaining that she can't park in the garage anymore. You done good.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's nice when your stuff goes to a good home, too. I'm sure they're happy you're making good use of it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I feel like karma has finally repaid me for the salvage title mercedes :unsmith:

Charles posted:

It's nice when your stuff goes to a good home, too. I'm sure they're happy you're making good use of it.

Yeah, it was a salesman who just wanted to leave, and i feel he was as happy as i was, in terms of getting the job done, and the stuff going to use. He offered me a trailer full of other hitch parts but my body was dooooooone.

The same thing happened with the Mack, BMW, Lincoln, and Powerstroke, just right place, right time. A reward for being there.

e: I completely misunderestimated how many furring strips i needed, and how far this pegboard would go. It's only going to be like 10/30 boards for the whole wall. I'm probably going to reconfigure my cabinets and do the whole north wall too.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 21, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

I feel like karma has finally repaid me for the salvage title mercedes :unsmith:

Yeah, it was a salesman who just wanted to leave, and i feel he was as happy as i was, in terms of getting the job done, and the stuff going to use. He offered me a trailer full of other hitch parts but my body was dooooooone.

The same thing happened with the Mack, BMW, Lincoln, and Powerstroke, just right place, right time. A reward for being there.

e: I completely misunderestimated how many furring strips i needed, and how far this pegboard would go. It's only going to be like 10/30 boards for the whole wall. I'm probably going to reconfigure my cabinets and do the whole north wall too.

It's tempting as gently caress to paint a mural on this thing before i start hanging stuff.

e: wow, quote is not edit, i repeat, quote is NOT edit.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I’m talking to our builder engineer and architect this week and I need some suggestions for what good poo poo I should ask to incorporate into my garage rebuild.

Is there some wiring standards or good-practices re: plug and line placement on walls should I suggest or ask about? What about pre-wiring for electric car charging station and welder?

What sort of pad/foundation will I need on the slab to support a lift?

How should I ask to have it insulated?

Currently leaning toward a slab plus a metal-frame unsupported steel building core, probably tall enough to allow for a second story loft over one portion, thinking a 40x60 or 40x72 footprint (one fabricator told is a truss is required every 12 feet) and then 2-4 overhead doors, at least some oversized. Not sure if this will be attached or detached but we will also use the siding and roof materials of the house.

Also thinking to have it plumbed for a sink and toilet/urinal. Also maybe some form of heated pad tech (water/antifreeze? Combine with solar or geothermal?)

Any thoughts on cooling in summer - Big rear end fan or something, or potentially AC, or both?

Open to any and all suggestions or clarifications.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

More power points than you think you’ll need. I’ve got 21 in my workshop and still could do with a few more!

Insulation is a no brainer- it makes such a massive difference for not a lot more cost

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tremek posted:

I’m talking to our builder engineer and architect this week and I need some suggestions for what good poo poo I should ask to incorporate into my garage rebuild.

Is there some wiring standards or good-practices re: plug and line placement on walls should I suggest or ask about? What about pre-wiring for electric car charging station and welder?

Currently leaning toward a slab plus a metal-frame unsupported steel building core, probably tall enough to allow for a second story loft over one portion, thinking a 40x60 or 40x72 footprint (one fabricator told is a truss is required every 12 feet) and then 2-4 overhead doors, at least some oversized. Not sure if this will be attached or detached but we will also use the siding and roof materials of the house.

Also thinking to have it plumbed for a sink and toilet/urinal. Also maybe some form of heated pad tech (water/antifreeze? Combine with solar or geothermal?)

Any thoughts on cooling in summer - Big rear end fan or something, or potentially AC, or both?

My top 3 4:

1. 240v plugs. you might want a bigger compressor, you might want a powder coating oven.
2. hard air lines, and a compressor room if you have the space.
3. thick enough concrete pad for a 2 post lift, or an in-ground lift if you're starting from scratch.
4. bob ross mural

e: I should just buy grey, white, black, green, and blue, and fire up an episode of bob ross

e2: 5. central vac, with the foot pedal cabinet suckers

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 21, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tremek posted:

I looked into some of this when I was looking to add on. I think you'll want around 4" thick minimum for the slab and 3-4kpsi concrete. Look at a couple lifts you're interested in to get a general idea for what they require. As for the electric for an EV, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865505&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=136#post497878673

Most folks said 50amp would be good nuff.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
4" is usually the minimum for a 2 post, I'd go thicker.

All the outlets.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Spray foam insulation in all the voids.

And the lighting of a thousand suns.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wrar posted:

4" is usually the minimum for a 2 post, I'd go thicker.

That's what I said. :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The best solution for 220v outlets in the US is going to be 50a circuits with NEMA 14-50 receptacles. You can charge just about anything EV at a respectable speed, but that receptacle is also the defacto standard for RV shore power, and 50a is more than enough to run most machine tools or welders.

I’d run four of them, two at a minimum.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

In my dream garage there is a 4 socket outlet every 6 feet or so, and not down on the ground. In my current garage a previous owner put the outlets about 4-5 feet off the floor and it works out really well when you pile poo poo up around the perimeter of the room. I can reach through a shelf and find the outlet pretty easily.

Then a row of outlets along the wall above the workbench. That or an industrial grade power strip that's hard wired. Again, I had a work lab once that had an outlet strip at each workbench that was an outlet every 6 inches, 4-6 feet long. No matter where you were on the bench you could plug in 2-3 things where you needed them. And if you had something set up, you didn't have to break it down to do something else next to it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

When we rewired my garage we put 2 socket outlets every six feet at four and a half feet off the ground. Near the work benches we put in quad plugs. Stuck in one 220 plug near where the welder sits. I also snagged a 220 power strip with 120v plugs that was being thrown out that is usually plugged into the 220.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

NitroSpazzz posted:

When we rewired my garage we put 2 socket outlets every six feet at four and a half feet off the ground. Near the work benches we put in quad plugs. Stuck in one 220 plug near where the welder sits.

I did exactly this when we built our house and it isn’t a single socket too many. I haven’t used my 220 yet but it’s there.

My grandpa also told me to put a couple outlets in the ceiling over the work area and run them to switches by the workbench for light fixtures or whatever else you can think of. I haven’t needed them yet but they’re there for when the time comes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Stainless Steel pegboard.
It's made the GF so very happy

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Another electrical suggestion is to have the Garage on its own sub-panel, in the garage.
That way you don't have to wander around the house to reset breakers. If the panel is already in the garage, still do a sub-panel for all new garage stuff - easier to add things.
Also arc-fault breakers, which probably will need to be reset more, but would stop electrical fires - I think that is now a requirement for new electrical panels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want to do that if/when we add a third bay. For now I have two of the heavy duty power bars screwed into the walls on either side of the garage.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

blindjoe posted:

Another electrical suggestion is to have the Garage on its own sub-panel, in the garage.
That way you don't have to wander around the house to reset breakers. If the panel is already in the garage, still do a sub-panel for all new garage stuff - easier to add things.
Also arc-fault breakers, which probably will need to be reset more, but would stop electrical fires - I think that is now a requirement for new electrical panels.

Yes, that indeed would be handy considering

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah, but what are the odds of that happening twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah, but what are the odds of that happening twice?

Have you read the chat threads this year?