Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eschenique posted:

How did Integras dad defeat Alucard anyway?

The only true way to do it; the hard way by sheer brutal bloody-mindedness wearing him down and containing him with black magic. It's even a key theme to Hellsing; It takes a man to kill a monster. It's why Anderson basically broke Alucard's heart by taking the Thorn; If Anderson had stayed a man and just broken out the bayonets Alucard hoped he'd be able to just wade through all he had out of spite and end him properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
One of the often recurring ideas in Hellsing is basically every man in it is secretly a monster who really, really wants to die. But since they're also proud of being fighters or whatever it has to be "earned", so to continue the DnD analogue, if you last 10 rounds in combat and actually deal at least 50 points of damage in that time they'll "let" you have it and stop using their deadliest attacks.

I always assumed you actually watched the show because Seras and Integra were loving great though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Eschenique posted:

How did Integras dad defeat Alucard anyway?

I don't think he did, Integra's grandad/great grandfather is literally Abraham Van Helsing from Dracula and after the events of the novel he dragged Dracula back to his lab to do some science bullshit on him. Integra's dad just knew about Alucard because "hey, we have Literally Dracula chained up in the mansion basement and he's bound to follow the family's orders, but he's still Dracula so take precautions" is something all of the family heads were told at some point.

quote:

I have no idea why I even like this franchise. There's zero suspense ever because the world is D&D and Alucard is level 50 and everyone else is capped at level 10 so every single fight ever is just him playing with the enemy and then killing them with no risk to himself ever.

The appeal of Hellsing is watching murderers, rapists, literal super-nazis and chavs get absolutely loving bodied in ridiculous ways. It's not a fightmans manga, its about the buildup to the moment where you get to watch Alucard or Seras just absolutely loving obliterate whatever loathsome piece of poo poo that got served up this arc.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
When is Jenny going to achieve class consciousness. I bet Rise of the Skywalker.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

CmdrKing posted:

One of the often recurring ideas in Hellsing is basically every man in it is secretly a monster who really, really wants to die. But since they're also proud of being fighters or whatever it has to be "earned", so to continue the DnD analogue, if you last 10 rounds in combat and actually deal at least 50 points of damage in that time they'll "let" you have it and stop using their deadliest attacks.

I always assumed you actually watched the show because Seras and Integra were loving great though.

They were. Didn't care for how they sexualized Seras in the OVA but at least she does something there. In the older anime she has one moment of truth. Alucard is in danger and needs a mag for his gun and calls on her to get it and she fails and he has to get it with mind powers himself

The anime does better in highlighting her as a novice vampire. Anderson puts one blade through her throat and she's in serous trouble because she refuses her gifts and wants to pretend she's a human. In the OVA he turns her into a pin cushion with blessed silver blades and she's like "well this is a bother!"

I thought Anderson was never considered human by Alucard in any of the shows because he had been given regenerative powers through experiments.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 21, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dean of Swing posted:

When is Jenny going to achieve class consciousness. I bet Rise of the Skywalker.

Honestly I feel like every trip to Disneyland primes her a little more to join the revolution. Her story about having a nice job caring for the petting zoo and watching sweet kids play with the animals before Disney shuttered the whole thing and sent her to serve lemonade should be in an IWW pamphlet, and she’s got a real eye for dystopian poo poo like the absence of benches in Star Wars land to keep people moving.

Maybe if we start calling it the rebellion.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Walter as the final boss of the franchise was just bullshit though. That's some M. Night Shyamalan level plot twists right there.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Eschenique posted:

They were. Didn't care for how they sexualized Seras in the OVA but at least she does something there. In the older anime she has one moment of truth. Alucard is in danger and needs a mag for his gun and calls on her to get it and she fails and he has to get it with mind powers himself

The anime does better in highlighting her as a novice vampire. Anderson puts one blade through her throat and she's in serous trouble because she refuses her gifts and wants to pretend she's a human. In the OVA he turns her into a pin cushion with blessed silver blades and she's like "well this is a bother!"

I thought Anderson was never considered human by Alucard in any of the shows because he had been given regenerative powers through experiments.

Seras being sexualized was pretty much in line with the manga and how the author is a pretty big pervert who has a hardon for strong women, big tits and femboys.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Eschenique posted:

I think my favorite bit of either show is the episode of the older anime that's entirely Integra's backstory of finding Alucard as a child. The OVA makes a (frankly kinda creepy) issue of her virginity at times but seeing her origin story made having "innocence" as a core aspect of her character make perfect sense: she may live in a world of monsters and use monster to fight monsters, but she's in control of her life and her body god dammit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Eschenique posted:

Walter as the final boss of the franchise was just bullshit though. That's some M. Night Shyamalan level plot twists right there.

At least the Abridged series treated that poo poo with the disrespect and disregard it deserved.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eschenique posted:

No, Alucard respected the hell out of Anderson, and it's why he's absolutely mortified to see Anderson turn himself into a true monster like Alucard.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Could I just get the church scene from the anime instead of the priest groping her in the woods?

And maybe a better excuse for why Alucard had to shot her instead of just using his vampire powers to flay that priests poo poo right there.

That church scene was goddamn fantastic and sold me on the whole franchise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eschenique posted:

Could I just get the church scene from the anime instead of the priest groping her in the woods?

And maybe a better excuse for why Alucard had to shot her instead of just using his vampire powers to flay that priests poo poo right there.

That church scene was goddamn fantastic and sold me on the whole franchise.

Alucard is not a nice person and it was the quickest way to off the priest.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, Alucard respected the hell out of Anderson, and it's why he's absolutely mortified to see Anderson turn himself into a true monster like Alucard.

What's that speech then? "a human regenerator? Putting you out of your misery would be an act of mercy" Was that from the older series?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I felt that Black Lagoon's concept often rather outdid its execution - it set up a bunch of insane poo poo that the animation and choreography wasn't quite there for. On that level, at least, I'd call Cowboy Bebop a much better TV action anime.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least the Abridged series treated that poo poo with the disrespect and disregard it deserved.

I marathoned both the anime and OVA after Episode 8 of Abridged came out and... basically every change Abridged made to Episodes 8/9/10 were for the better? ESPECIALLY the way they recut episode 8 and 9 to put the entire Anderson fight into one episode, god drat that cut in a stupid spot originally.

e: also the entire bit with God might be my favorite gag TFS have EVER DONE.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

What was the deal with the hellsing org basically committing suicide at the tower of london in the anime? I know they were betrayed by some government guy but there was that kind of nice Hellsing captain who just flat out kills himself to British snipers for no discernible reason.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
PlayFrame presents: Okami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1z_S22I-KY

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CmdrKing posted:

I marathoned both the anime and OVA after Episode 8 of Abridged came out and... basically every change Abridged made to Episodes 8/9/10 were for the better? ESPECIALLY the way they recut episode 8 and 9 to put the entire Anderson fight into one episode, god drat that cut in a stupid spot originally.

e: also the entire bit with God might be my favorite gag TFS have EVER DONE.

The only change I dislike is how they altered the Major's motivation in the end. He was always a grandstanding monologue spewing blowhard, but his entire convoluted scheme rendered down to "kill Alucard for shits and giggles" was a much better sentiment than Abridged Major rambling on about how men can only be masculine in conflict and he started world war 3 just to let the Nazis live again. The sheer pettiness of the original OVA/Manga motivation makes the Major's disregard for his own forces more palpable and makes him a better villain. If anything the abridged series motivation contradicts a lot of his comments earlier in the parody series.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

The Dans are the best. I got Innuendo Studios and Dan on twitter to consider a charity collab stream so I am looking forward to that. ^_^

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only change I dislike is how they altered the Major's motivation in the end. He was always a grandstanding monologue spewing blowhard, but his entire convoluted scheme rendered down to "kill Alucard for shits and giggles" was a much better sentiment than Abridged Major rambling on about how men can only be masculine in conflict and he started world war 3 just to let the Nazis live again. The sheer pettiness of the original OVA/Manga motivation makes the Major's disregard for his own forces more palpable and makes him a better villain. If anything the abridged series motivation contradicts a lot of his comments earlier in the parody series.

I think they boiled it down perfectly with
"Gentlemen, Ve... are Nazis!"
Everything after that was a detraction from elegant perfection.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Rip Van Winkle was kind of neat too despite being a nazi.

Granted the voice actress couldn't sing worth a drat :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arist posted:

Black Lagoon isn't bad but the last several episodes are dulllllllll
I prefer Jormungand for that reason; that series doesn't really drag and has tons of fun characters

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Im catching up on the my hero manga and I thought this lizard lady who could split herslef into pieces and control the pieces was neat and original and then j remembered she's just a less cool buggy from one piece.

One piece: still the best

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Rei Hiroe has some real problems with pacing. Just look at Re:Creators, which was an absolute disaster.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hellsing TV vs Hellsing OVA is a fun comparison because yes, the OVA is true to the manga and the TV series completely loses its way once it ran out of plot, but in aspects beyond those, the OVA is... Kinda poo poo? Like, design wise, visually, and especially with the music, the TV series is very clearly trying to punch above its weight, while the OVA is kind of perfunctory in a lot of ways, doesn't try to actually adapt so much as just re-illustrate, suffers from extreme Obvious CGI Replacement syndrome, and has very little flair outside of a few scenes. If you took the first hellsing OVA and put it side by side with the first two-three episodes of the TV series that cover the same ground, the TV version beats out the OVA on basically every level as far as being a polished production.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

the major in the OVA viewed his warmongering in general and his animus against alucard in particular as a triumph of the human will, man defeating monster. it was ultimately petty but he presented it as an act of grandiosity

i can understand how this point may have been lost because it was wrapped up in about 90 cumulative minutes of monologuing

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Don't really care for villains who are bastards for the sake of it. I like my villains sympathetic.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Funny story. When the card guy gets the South American police to try and kill Alucard with promises of "Joining the kingdom of immortality"

I assumed he was an Iscariot agent and that the cops were just Catholics doing a service for the Vatican.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Outside of Breath of the Wild, Okami is my favorite Zelda game. Definitely gonna watch this.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best zelda game is beyond good and evil

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I appreciate that Hellsing Abridged is arguably a better way to watch the OVA than watching it normally

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the best zelda game is beyond good and evil

The best Zelda Game is Witcher 3.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
*peaks out from a manhole*

....Dark Souls

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dark souls is the best Zelda 1 remake

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The line at the very end about Alucard “killing” the millions of souls he absorbed, mostly from the slaughtered population of London, in order to find himself was a... fun bit of existential horror that wasn’t really elaborated on.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Id didn't really care for the chibi scenes in the OVA, I thought the effects were pretty breathtaking when they weren't so obviously copy pasted.

https://i.imgur.com/uR7cua3.mp4

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Dr Christmas posted:

The line at the very end about Alucard “killing” the millions of souls he absorbed, mostly from the slaughtered population of London, in order to find himself was a... fun bit of existential horror that wasn’t really elaborated on.

I thought it was everyone he ever killed in his whole life. All being trapped inside him that he now killed the souls of.

That's what his undead army was I believe. Him channeling those imprisoned souls.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I was convinced to watch Anohana by a video I think was posted in this thread, a youtuber talking earnestly about how sweet it was. And it might be, but it also contains a central character who looks about twelve years old (though I understand she's meant to seem maybe 18/19) and talks and acts very childishly, and she is intensely sexualised in the first episode, and it just kind of makes me tired. Anime recommendations are a minefield because so many things people love come with these armloads of really weird/gross sexism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

HopperUK posted:

I was convinced to watch Anohana by a video I think was posted in this thread, a youtuber talking earnestly about how sweet it was. And it might be, but it also contains a central character who looks about twelve years old (though I understand she's meant to seem maybe 18/19) and talks and acts very childishly, and she is intensely sexualised in the first episode, and it just kind of makes me tired. Anime recommendations are a minefield because so many things people love come with these armloads of really weird/gross sexism.

She is like 12 years old or younger, which makes it even worse.

And yeah the first episode is weirdly gross even though the rest of the anime isn’t, and it put me off of the series.