Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

:smith: :smith: :smith:

I just hope this doesn't deflate the enthusiasm the whole country has had. would be great if they'd made the semis but it was never an assured thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Japanese support running has become non-existent. They ran themselves dead.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Vaders Jester posted:

They won't catch teams cold in 4 years. They'll still be great but defences will look to this to figure them out.

Defend extremely strongly and well isn't something you can just turn on because you know about it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Defend extremely strongly and well isn't something you can just turn on because you know about it.

Which is why South Africa did so well getting Rassie, and thus Nienaber out of Munster. I was gutted as a Munster fan but it was inevitable.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

South Africa should pump Wales.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Cut off offload lanes, don't kick to their back three, run direct and get players to support at the ruck is though.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

South Africa should pump Wales.

And they can beat England, while New Zealand need to turn it on against them. Then Wales are shaping up to be the toe you smashed off the table leg in the semis but you never know what voodoo Gatland can put in the player's heads (or what he's sold both his soul and charm to the devil for.)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apparently Cheika losing his poo poo at half time yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uszk3ByKIkQ

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

This is the content we were all hoping for.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bessantj posted:

Weird that this didn't motivate them!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

bessantj posted:

I want to believe this is real.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

I want to believe this is real.

Believe, BELIEVE!

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

bessantj posted:

A speech to rank up there alongside the likes of "we will fight them on the beaches..."and "I have a dream...". What a blow to lose such a man.

Thank you so much for this, laughed so hard the dog fell off my lap.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
First thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4x05Z3MSkQ

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Drinking game for every time de Klerk does a box kick and your 17 shots in.
Seriously I was hoping someone would have broken his foot. I know it was strategy but the amount of times he box kicked it for no one to compete for kick was frustrating.
Still good solid if boring win. Sorry it had to come at the expense of Japan

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

Drinking game for every time de Klerk does a box kick and your 17 shots in.
Seriously I was hoping someone would have broken his foot. I know it was strategy but the amount of times he box kicked it for no one to compete for kick was frustrating.
Still good solid if boring win. Sorry it had to come at the expense of Japan

South Africa do not play rugby in their own half, but I was surprised at the lack of chasing.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

bessantj posted:

South Africa do not play rugby in their own half, but I was surprised at the lack of chasing.

They had the lead. Chasing would've just made their troops tired.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They didn't need to. They won by being able to absorb an absurd amount of pressure (in the first half at least) without giving away cheap penalties. Kicking the ball away just provided time to reset their field position.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Must be said South Africa got the game plan spot on and had the strong players to execute... Good coaching all in all.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dog Friday posted:

Must be said South Africa got the game plan spot on and had the strong players to execute... Good coaching all in all.

Yeah they weathered everything exactly how Ireland and Scotland didn’t.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
https://twitter.com/Gaki_keita01/status/1185929325385633793

"The Japanese national team's World Cup has ended. I'd like state my gratitude to the many supporters who have cheered us on. This is South Africa's No. 1, Mtawarira. I've always admired him, and having played him, I still do. There may have been a dangerous tackle on me, but I know it wasn't intentional. No need to worry about it, thanks. Make sure you win."

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

This is how you teamtalk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ytmPsbbew4&t=130s

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50121693

quote:

World Rugby has opened an investigation after South African referee Jaco Peyper appeared to mock sent-off France lock Sebastien Vahaamahina in a picture with Wales fans.

In the picture Peyper's elbow is raised into a fan's chin hours after he sent off Vahaamahina for elbowing Aaron Wainwright in Wales' quarter-final win.

Leading France official Serge Simon said if true the photo was "shocking".

World Rugby is trying to "establish the facts" surrounding the picture.

French Rugby Federation vice-president Simon, a former France prop, said on Twitter: "This photo if it is true is shocking and explanations will be necessary."

Here's the explanation: One of your players went ultimate France and elbowed another player in the head maliciously and deliberately, and got a well deserved red card.

For the rest of the match your team played very well, and a lot of Welsh fans agree the red card (caused by your player) was the only reason Wales won.

After the match, so very relieved Welsh fans probably said something along liens of "thank god for that red card, otherwise we would have lost, so thank you for that", but the referee didn't need thanking because any referee would have done the same.

Then he took a photo with some friendly fellow rugby fans in which they mimicked the action (taken by your player) which resulted in a red card which influenced the result of the match.

French fans and officials need to gently caress off with their sore loser belly aching. No one is contesting the red card and no one sensible would consider posing for a photo with some relieved fans after a game is in any way a serious question mark over his impartiality as a ref.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I think the photo was a bit unprofessional. Nothing wrong with taking a photo with the fans, but to do it in a way that could be seen as mocking is a misstep.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

bessantj posted:

I think the photo was a bit unprofessional. Nothing wrong with taking a photo with the fans, but to do it in a way that could be seen as mocking is a misstep.

But why though? Anyone who takes serious issue with this is just moaning for the sake of moaning. If you are a French supporter and you want to be angry at someone, be angry at the player that elbowed an opposing player in the side of the head for no reason.

Any comments like "oh this doesn't seem like a clever idea" is basically just saying "oh this is going to cause people to moan so he shouldn't have done it".

Like I said I would get it if this call was conteaversial in any way, but no one is seriously arguing against the red card. France should focus their anger on their player's behaviour, not the ref having a good time with fellow rugby fans in Japan.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I have no beef in this, neither Welsh nor French but I also thought that picture was extremely unprofessional and complaining about it is justified.
I am sure some Welsh fans would have been just as pissed off if Rolland was featured in a picture tip tackling a French fan after the 2011 match.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Kitchner posted:

But why though? Anyone who takes serious issue with this is just moaning for the sake of moaning. If you are a French supporter and you want to be angry at someone, be angry at the player that elbowed an opposing player in the side of the head for no reason.

Any comments like "oh this doesn't seem like a clever idea" is basically just saying "oh this is going to cause people to moan so he shouldn't have done it".

Like I said I would get it if this call was conteaversial in any way, but no one is seriously arguing against the red card. France should focus their anger on their player's behaviour, not the ref having a good time with fellow rugby fans in Japan.

Because he still has to give his written report to the citing commission and should maintain a sense of professional detachment from the whole thing until it is over with.

It's like if you were on disciplinary from a manager at work and caught them poo poo-talking you to everyone in the office about it before the meeting. You're in the wrong but it's still stupid and unprofessional behaviour on their part.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Fun police and MSM reporting on what someone’s posted on social media. How interesting and what a good use of everyone’s time.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The photo is really funny but Peyper needs to be smarter about optics from a World Rugby PoV. gently caress all to do with fun police.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
So this photo was also taken in his spare time as a member of the public, are referees supposed to conduct themselves as consummate professionals every second of the day, even if their private lives? I get that it’s a little naughty of him but it was just a bit of fun and the outrage feels way disproportionate.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Probably if they still have to give testimony in a disciplinary hearing. After the hearing he could go nuts.

In other news, Vahaamahina has apparently announced his retirement from international rugby.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Wayne Barnes was photographed in a pub telling everyone to drink their pints SLOWWWWWWWLY. NICE. AND. SLOWWW.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Vaders Jester posted:

Because he still has to give his written report to the citing commission and should maintain a sense of professional detachment from the whole thing until it is over with.

It's like if you were on disciplinary from a manager at work and caught them poo poo-talking you to everyone in the office about it before the meeting. You're in the wrong but it's still stupid and unprofessional behaviour on their part.

Take the point on the written report, but on the other hand if you had just hauled off and punched Dave from accounting because he was hassling you about expense reports being overdue, and you were immediately sent home, it's 100% fine for your manager to be like "holy poo poo I can't believe that just happened" in the office.

Like what do you expect? This wasn't a conteaversial or minor infraction, he elbowed a fellow player in the side of the head when they were winning!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

A professional referee should still act like a professional. I feel as if it comes across as mocking Vahaamahina and the red card, I know it wasn't a controversial red card, everyone does, but if Rolland had put out a picture with French fans mimicking the tip tackle back in 2011 then, as Peyper could France, he reffed Wales in the 6N, why would the Welsh players have any respect for an official that has mocked them?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

bessantj posted:

A professional referee should still act like a professional. I feel as if it comes across as mocking Vahaamahina and the red card, I know it wasn't a controversial red card, everyone does, but if Rolland had put out a picture with French fans mimicking the tip tackle back in 2011 then, as Peyper could France, he reffed Wales in the 6N, why would the Welsh players have any respect for an official that has mocked them?

If the tables were turned I'd have laughed.

If we had a player who did such a stupid thing when it looked like we were going to win the quarter finals i would be taking my anger out on the player, not the ref.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
Yeah the pic is funny and I enjoied it, and the ref also probably shouldn't have done it. I'm all for humanizing refs and not holding them to insane standards, but they are supposed to be impartial parts of the game. Especially at the international level I think keeping that appearance is important.

However nothing should happen to him, other than maybe a superior saying, "hey that was kind of dumb" during his world cup grading meeting.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Take the point on the written report, but on the other hand if you had just hauled off and punched Dave from accounting because he was hassling you about expense reports being overdue, and you were immediately sent home, it's 100% fine for your manager to be like "holy poo poo I can't believe that just happened" in the office.

Like what do you expect? This wasn't a conteaversial or minor infraction, he elbowed a fellow player in the side of the head when they were winning!

"Holy poo poo I can't believe that just happened" is fine to say. That's what the red card represents.

Saying "HAHAHA what a fanny, get the office round for some mad bantz" isn't and is pretty unprofessional for an international referee.

Ultimately WR won't and probably shouldn't do anything, they'll just remind him to not act the prick in the future.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Particularly during a tournament as important to the game as the World Cup, referees should not just be impartial, they should be SEEN to be impartial too. It was a dumb thing to do and I’m sure he didn’t mean anything by it, but it looks less than ideal. And for that reason it’s an error in judgement.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The biggest shame is that this could hurt Nigel Owens or Wayne Barnes and their chances of refereeing the final. At this point four years ago, Owens was already cemented to referee the final, Wales were in the quarter-finals, and World Rugby were confident enough in the integrity of refereeing that they would have no problems with a senior referee officiating a final involving their home country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
England vs New Zealand
Referee : Nigel Owens
Assistants : Romain Poite / Pascal Gauzere

Wales vs South Africa
Referee : Jerome Garces
Assistants : Wayne Barners / Ben O'Keeffe

quote:

World Rugby can confirm that the match officials selection committee did not consider Jaco Peyper for selection this weekend.