Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

EbolaIvory posted:

Yur? Got details on the crash? I could forward it to the powers that be

Yeah YUR. I tried to use it but never could get it to show up besides the brief flash when the program started. No idea if it is related to the crash but it is the only likely candidate if it is to do with an app interference. Haven't gotten to play after uninstalling it.

I Expect You To Die has been the most unstable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

Yeah YUR. I tried to use it but never could get it to show up besides the brief flash when the program started. No idea if it is related to the crash but it is the only likely candidate if it is to do with an app interference. Haven't gotten to play after uninstalling it.

I Expect You To Die has been the most unstable for me.

If you end up messing with it again and find anything specific let me know. Love to forward it to Cix.

CIX posted:

Cix | YUR Yesterday at 9:31 PM
If you are having issues with the Sidequest installation, know that it requires both APK to be downloaded, and the headset to be restarted to funciton correctly.

Discord has that yesterday.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Captn Kurp posted:

Has anyone gone from Pimax 5k+ to Valve Index? I'm interested in getting the Index to be able to play VR games that require controllers (I play only flight sims at this point since I have no controllers) but I'm concerned about a decrease in resolution and FOV. Currently I use the medium FOV option on the Pimax 5k+.

Thanks for any input!

I bet there's a way to get the index controllers working concurrently with a pimax HMD.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This is probably going to sound very whiny but I wish the Oculus Store had regional pricing. Every time I'm looking for something to play I have to decide between buying the native game for the Quest or paying about 30-50% less (if it's not on sale) on Steam and use Virtual Desktop.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows whether Windows' game mode might have an effect on performance?

I seem to have sporadic frame rate issues with Unity based games, and just now I finally came to think, that there might be issues. Say Beat Saber or H3VR getting recognized as a game, Windows doing its thing and allocating cores and resources exclusively to the game, starving the VR compositor of SteamVR out of CPU cycles, or some poo poo like that. But only sometimes depending on whatever else is going.

Because I don't see why I can run either of the two games mentioned at 120hz sometimes, and other times absolutely not. And that without changes to the system.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
turn off windows game mode

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

eonwe posted:

turn off windows game mode

This. Also kill shadow play if still enabled. Hell basically all of the exp stuff kill.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 21, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ralith posted:

I bet there's a way to get the index controllers working concurrently with a pimax HMD.

It's all Lighthouse tech, so they work natively in SteamVR. They even sell Index controllers with the newer Pimaxes due to the delay in getting the Sword ones finished.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
i tried out sidequest and virtual desktop on the Quest today. Kinda neat! I watched some stuff in Plex in a pretend theatre and it was pretty reasonable. Also tried a Virtual Boy emulator with a hombrew version of Street Fighter which wasn’t great with the touch controllers but i assume just fine if you pair a gamepad.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone knows whether Windows' game mode might have an effect on performance?

I seem to have sporadic frame rate issues with Unity based games, and just now I finally came to think, that there might be issues. Say Beat Saber or H3VR getting recognized as a game, Windows doing its thing and allocating cores and resources exclusively to the game, starving the VR compositor of SteamVR out of CPU cycles, or some poo poo like that. But only sometimes depending on whatever else is going.

Because I don't see why I can run either of the two games mentioned at 120hz sometimes, and other times absolutely not. And that without changes to the system.

holy poo poo I wonder if this is what has been causing my annoying stuttering

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Captn Kurp posted:

Has anyone gone from Pimax 5k+ to Valve Index? I'm interested in getting the Index to be able to play VR games that require controllers (I play only flight sims at this point since I have no controllers) but I'm concerned about a decrease in resolution and FOV. Currently I use the medium FOV option on the Pimax 5k+.

Thanks for any input!

I would think there would be more sde on the pimax since it doesnt have a diffusion filter though there wont be much in it. The binocular fov on the index might be an improvement too, and you should be able to get higher fps.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's all Lighthouse tech, so they work natively in SteamVR. They even sell Index controllers with the newer Pimaxes due to the delay in getting the Sword ones finished.

Not quite. Pimax isn’t a native SteamVR device. The compositing and VR space happens outside of SteamVR (which is how they do Oculus stuff without SteamVR+Revive) and Pimax has hijacked & hacked in control of the index controllers.
There are a not small number of games that don’t support the index controllers on the Pimax because the lovely Pimax compositor doesn’t represent it properly lmao
Reason number 8364372 to not get a Pimax

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

RFC2324 posted:

holy poo poo I wonder if this is what has been causing my annoying stuttering
Yea. This was a work shitter thought, gonna see this evening whether that'll do something. Because it's so intermittently, I wonder if that stupid game mode can't decide whether the game or SteamVR needs the most resources.

--edit:
Meh, must be something else then.

quote:

In the latest versions of Windows (1809 & 1903) Game Mode no longer does GPU/CPU prioritization. This prioritization was intended to give more resources to the running game at the cost of background processes, but we found it impacted some games and other scenarios. As an example streaming was impacted in apps like OBS because we were starving them of resources needed to encode.

In these later builds Game Mode is intended to help by removing distractions while playing. In particular it tries to stop Windows Update from updating drivers and stops it from notifying you of non-critical updates. It also causes the CPU to run at a minimum of 100% (on desktop, not laptops) to help reduce CPU fluctuations which may cause performance issues.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 21, 2019

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
There are some unfun stages in the beat saber campaign. Max arm movement amount was bad enough but Max combo is just not fun. I don't want to be failing because I hit the notes in a rhythm game too well.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
I played with Rift, Index and Quest this weekend a couple of notes:

The Quest is a very high quality display, I'd put it solidly between Rift CV1 and Index, the higher res/less SDE than CV1 is extremely noticable.

The Index is an EXREMELY good display. The god rays are really horrible when you have white on black (worse than any other HMD) but totally worth it for the FOV/Pixels/refresh). When you crank the SS up Beat Saber looks darn perfect (tiny trailing aliasing on high speed blocks) with high res/144hz. I'll probably still end up playing Beat Saber on Quest for convenience but the screen/tracking on Index is amazing.

Games:

Soundboxing:
I hadn't played in a long time, but I played Soundboxing again, and it's still the same and still great. The last time someone made a new challange was 3 months ago but it had over 100 plays. I don't think Soundboxing will ever change but it's a solid title. If you've played a bunch of Beat Saber and want something else, try SoundBoxing, I'm sure in the shortly upcoming sales it'll be down to $4 or something.

Azguard Wrath:
We've been asking for a 40+ hour full interaction Skyrim designed from the ground up for VR, well this is it. Well realized, although simplistic combat. It's huge (over 120gb) and you HAVE TO INSTALL on a SSD. I have it on a SSHD (normal spinning HD, with some acceleration) and the load-times are unbearable. Sometimes the load-times are literally over 3 minutes (I have a high spec machine). 3 minute loadtimes with a shoebox on your face are not acceptable (granted you pull it off and wait). Also sometimes you get stutters in game-play that are apparently due to HD loading (think like music/VO being delayed). Also I couldn't get it to work Via revive (couldn't detect controllers) so I had to go back to my CV1 with 180 setup. Having a short cable and requiring snap turning was a real bummer. There is some real meat here, but I think I'll spend my VR time on the next title.

H3VR Take and Hold:
I played H3VR a couple of times through the years, and found it an interesting gun range but didn't find it compelling enough to stick with. Between the funky locomotion and extreme gun handling required I didn't spend a ton of time (although I've always loved the Gunnasium). I follow Anton on twitter/twitch and he discusses Take and Hold so I decided to fire it up.
HOLY poo poo, H3VR Take and Hold is the best thing I've played in VR hands down. I noticed he uses Arm Swinger so I decided to give that a chance, and did a couple of runs on standard settings. It's an amazing game since you have to balance what you can buy/health/situations. Also having the downtime between rounds really makes feel more intense.
If I could set it up to use roomscale (real) locomotion during the actual holds it would be darn near the perfect VR experience. If you have H3VR and haven't tried Take and Hold on default at least twice (you might start with a bad gun/melee) you owe it to yourself. Also the game looks sharp on Index/144.

TLDR: Index is amazing, H3VR Take and Hold is amazing.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Chin Strap posted:

There are some unfun stages in the beat saber campaign. Max arm movement amount was bad enough but Max combo is just not fun. I don't want to be failing because I hit the notes in a rhythm game too well.

For max arm movement you can make it just shaking when there aren't notes around. I stopped and went to customs but there is a Max Combo? As in you have to miss every once in awhile, that's really odd.

The min arm movement did teach me to flick my wrists which was good to learn.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ricky Dicky Random is the more fun loadout for Take and Hold, because you never know what guns you'll pull.

I still can't believe I once rolled two Tombstones in a single run. It's a special overly-american 50-cal machinegun that can be held and fired one-handed. And I had AP+Incendiary ammo. Maximum Dakka was achieved that day :orksargh:.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ricky Dicky Random is the more fun loadout for Take and Hold, because you never know what guns you'll pull.

I still can't believe I once rolled two Tombstones in a single run. It's a special overly-american 50-cal machinegun that can be held and fired one-handed. And I had AP+Incendiary ammo. Maximum Dakka was achieved that day :orksargh:.

the best runs are when you pull the Kolibri

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BMan posted:

the best runs are when you pull the Kolibri

There's an automatic rifle in the weapon pool that fires the sci-fi rounds used by the futuristic handgun and Blade Runner revolver. You will not want anything else with it in your hands.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ricky Dicky Random is the more fun loadout for Take and Hold ...

I tried one run with On Site Procurement but having to try to pick off the static encryption nodes with OSIG guns was just too much for me.

I'll try Ricky Dicky soon, but I think single pistol + melee might actually be what I want (I know there is double pistol).

Do any of you who play use a stock? I have a stock for CV1 + Vive wands. I'll probably pull my Vive wands back out for use with H3VR (I know Anton prefers the wands).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's an automatic rifle in the weapon pool that fires the sci-fi rounds used by the futuristic handgun and Blade Runner revolver. You will not want anything else with it in your hands.

Yeah the sci-fi Thompson is hilariously overpowered. Instantly explodes Sosigs if you hit them in an unarmored spot.

But yeah you get some real fun runs on Ricky Dicky. Had one where I managed to pull both the Team Fortress rocket launcher and the minigun, followed by a run with one of the tiny useless lovely .25 ACP pistols and a dustpan.

I'm looking forward to the future additions Anton's been talking about with the new Sosigun sets and new starting setups and loot tables. Personally, I'm hoping some of the weirder character starts from the old Rise of the Rotwieners come back. There were some wacky starts. If I recall one was a preacher that only started with a Bible you had to bludgeon sausages to death with until you could find a gun.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Stick100 posted:

Do any of you who play use a stock? I have a stock for CV1 + Vive wands. I'll probably pull my Vive wands back out for use with H3VR (I know Anton prefers the wands).

I made a full stock, but I end up using mostly just this foregrip part

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2558333

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I moved to a new place a few months ago and was recently able to setup full roomscale on my Vive in a dedicated room. The experience has been really cool, and I was just wondering if anyone has experience in VR development, specifically on the WebVR side of things. Is A-Frame where I want to start looking? I made a few simple scenes in A-Frame a few years ago, but now I also see React 360 as well. I also noticed that WebVR has become WEBXR?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

I had to keep repeating in my head "look at combo count" and "15 is too much" like every 3 seconds to get through the level

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This goes from 0-100 real quick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqt2J9iJOk

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

That ramped up awfully fast.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

That ramped up awfully fast.

Looks fun as heck. >_>

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
gently caress YES. I've been struggling to get light guns working in New Retro Arcade.

This is exactly what I wanted.

(I'm also playing around in Unity now with trying to implement my own Time Crisis VR)

Now just need a way to replace the zapper with a guncon model :)

E: Oh snap it may already have guncons and justifiers?!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 22, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Can I dual wield Super Scopes and play Battle Clash and Metal Combat at the same time?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yes I love lightgun games

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

John Wick presents duck hunt.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is truly amazing.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Hm seems like Borderlands 2 VR is dropping today on Steam, could be good! I can't tell if it includes all the DLC from BL2 but either way reviews for the PSVR version seemed decent.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm very happy that this exists, gonna be stuck in VR forever between Beat Saber, Elite, and this once I move.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Less Fat Luke posted:

Hm seems like Borderlands 2 VR is dropping today on Steam, could be good! I can't tell if it includes all the DLC from BL2 but either way reviews for the PSVR version seemed decent.

No multiplayer though

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Less Fat Luke posted:

The "BAMF Pack" that comes free with it is basically a full DLC package: https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2019-09-06-borderlands-2-vr-bamf-dlc/

Glad to see it's out of PSVR jail, but charging nearly full price for a port that looks to be about as polished as Payday 2 VR while not even supporting multiplayer is a tough sell. I get that the slowdown feature isn't exactly multiplayer compatible but I'd have been fine with that being disabled when playing with friends, especially if they were able to go fully like Payday and make it cross-play with flat screen.

Here's hoping for a ~$20 sale in the near future...

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wolrah posted:

Yeah without multi thats basically my high end cap for what I was willing to pay to try it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

wolrah posted:

Green man gaming has %20 off with code VR20, but yeah, the shout that was heard around the world; “Forty quid!? gently caress off mate.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

wolrah posted:

The "BAMF Pack" that comes free with it is basically a full DLC package: https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2019-09-06-borderlands-2-vr-bamf-dlc/

Glad to see it's out of PSVR jail, but charging nearly full price for a port that looks to be about as polished as Payday 2 VR while not even supporting multiplayer is a tough sell. I get that the slowdown feature isn't exactly multiplayer compatible but I'd have been fine with that being disabled when playing with friends, especially if they were able to go fully like Payday and make it cross-play with flat screen.

I would've bought it at $20 or less, but I've already spent a ton on BL2 and the expansions, so no thanks at this price.

Steam sale it is, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

RandomBlue posted:

I would've bought it at $20 or less, but I've already spent a ton on BL2 and the expansions, so no thanks at this price.

Steam sale it is, I guess.

Not even a discount for people that own borderlands 2. How rude