Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Why make more work for self, just rivet it in with some panel bond and seam sealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

always be closing posted:

Why make more work for self, just rivet it in with some panel bond and seam sealer.
Good enough for a Ferrari, probably too good for a Jeep.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Good god, BFG Mud T/As are piles of poo poo on an XJ. That thing is so light my anti lock brakes kick in when coming to a normal stop on wet pavement. And driving on wet pavement is like driving on ice.

Just ordered a tire groover so I can sipe the drat things. In related news, Discount Tire said they don’t do tire siping anymore.

(Is just buy some All Terrains but the XJ came with a brand new set of JK Mud T/A takeoffs and nobody wants those)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've had a completely different experience with my KM2s. Are they KMs (or KM3s) or very old?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Krakkles posted:

I've had a completely different experience with my KM2s. Are they KMs (or KM3s) or very old?

Oh yeah, the OG design. Def not KM2s.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
FWIW the KO2 AT's I have on my XJ had the same behavior in rain/wet pavement.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

FWIW the KO2 AT's I have on my XJ had the same behavior in rain/wet pavement.

drat. Well maybe I’ll just end up adding 800lbs of sand around the body. :suicide:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Even regular KOs are a real drat handful in cold near icy and icy conditions. Once you get enough fluffy snow for them to grab they are drat amazing snow tires, but on ice... I just keep the XJ parked at home. The tail wants to swap around like nothing else, even at 'so low speed I am literally crawling up to this stop sign of course I won't spin.... OH MY GOD THERE GOES THE BACK' speeds.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Y'all are making me start to think that I have a lot more tools in the back of my jeep than I think I do.

I mean, between the toolbox, spare tire, and assorted other goodies, I think there's probably 2-300lbs, but it's not all immediately over the rear axle or anything - actually, the heaviest (toolbox) is entirely aft of the axle.

Maybe it's the flexy suspension, maybe it's the locker, but I was told the latter shouldn't affect braking.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Do you have big heavy steel bumpers front and rear? I’m still rocking stock. And my Jeep is always empty since I don’t want to give anyone a reason to break a window #citylyfe

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Braincloud posted:

Do you have big heavy steel bumpers front and rear? I’m still rocking stock. And my Jeep is always empty since I don’t want to give anyone a reason to break a window #citylyfe
Stock bumpers on mine as well. Rear tire in the back hatch but that's about it aside from my fat rear end.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Hello! I am a new JLUR owner(Please wave at me). I’m thinking about adding some rock rails and I see the Ace rails recommended on most of the Jeep forums but the welding looks wonky as hell. Anyone have any experience with them or others?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bunk Rogers posted:

Hello! I am a new JLUR owner(Please wave at me). I’m thinking about adding some rock rails and I see the Ace rails recommended on most of the Jeep forums but the welding looks wonky as hell. Anyone have any experience with them or others?

There are so many out there, what are you wanting to do with them? I run the Evo rock sliders and beat the poo poo out of them in the rocks and they ask for more please. On my first Jeep I ran smittybilt sliders and they were garbage and actually did more damage to my Jeep than protected it from. Most of the guys I wheel with run frame mounted weld or bolt on sliders from Evo, TNT customs, poison spyder and LoD.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I am mostly Mall Crawling until I figure out what I can do with it in the DMV area. A little protection and a boost into the vehicle is all I’m looking for at the moment. Nothing terribly fancy.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Braincloud posted:

Nope, they’re stock*.

I do have a lot of stuff done, some of which would certainly add weight - factory skids, belly pan, long arm front suspension.

* built from stock bumpers and totally awesome. The front isn’t meaningfully heavier. The rear is, but not in the realm of crazy bumpers you see on stuff - it has bracing for the corners, but is otherwise built out of stock bumper steel.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I am looking for a winter vehicle, and thought 'I am horrible with money, let's buy an old Jeep'

There are quite a few late 90's TJ's in my area, if I was looking at them what are the major 'trouble' areas to look out for with a Jeep of that age.

I could care less about looks, since most of them seem to be rusted to poo poo, I just want it to run and not leave me stranded all winter.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Krakkles posted:

Nope, they’re stock*.

* built from stock bumpers and totally awesome. The front isn’t meaningfully heavier. The rear is, but not in the realm of crazy bumpers you see on stuff - it has bracing for the corners, but is otherwise built out of stock bumper steel.

Uhhhhh pics? Do they still look pretty stock? I’m curious what’s been done to them; I want to eventually get new bumpers but I don’t want crazy big beefy bull bar type.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Braincloud posted:

Uhhhhh pics? Do they still look pretty stock? I’m curious what’s been done to them; I want to eventually get new bumpers but I don’t want crazy big beefy bull bar type.
For sure! I felt the same, and I am lucky to know a very talented fabricator. In terms of whether they look stock - eh, I leave it to your judgement, that could really be argued either way, but I'd probably say: No, but the average person looking at it probably doesn't realize exactly how gnarly they are.

Front:

Rear:

click for bigger.

The front is built from two stock bumpers - one in the middle, another cut in half and fabricated to the ends - the rear is three. It's fun telling people my jeep has (five) stock bumpers! There's for sure some small weight from the LED light bars (two 15" behind the front bumper) and the bracing at the rear corners - there's a ~5/8" x 2" box section going straight forward at the body line with bracing into the "frame" which lets me drop down rock ledges and take no damage.

edit: Found a shot of the bracing, sort of:

Bottom body line, behind the rear wheel, all a big strong box section - I've dropped ~3 feet onto it with no issue.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 22, 2019

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Blue On Blue posted:

So I am looking for a winter vehicle, and thought 'I am horrible with money, let's buy an old Jeep'

There are quite a few late 90's TJ's in my area, if I was looking at them what are the major 'trouble' areas to look out for with a Jeep of that age.

I could care less about looks, since most of them seem to be rusted to poo poo, I just want it to run and not leave me stranded all winter.

Sure you want a Jeep? Have you driven one in the wet and icy snow? Short wheelbase + rear wheel drive (most of the time) + live axles + open diffs is a real drat handful. When snow is sticking to the roads I leave my XJ at home most of the time. If you live in an area that just gets blanketed in snow (not ice) and the roads are well plowed it might not be too horrible, but IMHO I'd try to test one out first before committing.

edit: For the TJs though they had a few years of bad 4 liter engine head castings and then a faulty oil pump that could destroy the engine. Apparently '00 and '01 had the cracking head (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-identify-0331-or-tupy-head.8112/) and the bad oil pump was from '04 to '05 (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-is-the-opda-and-do-i-need-to-change-mine.80/).

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 22, 2019

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

Sure you want a Jeep? Have you driven one in the wet and icy snow? Short wheelbase + rear wheel drive (most of the time) + live axles + open diffs is a real drat handful. When snow is sticking to the roads I leave my XJ at home most of the time. If you live in an area that just gets blanketed in snow (not ice) and the roads are well plowed it might not be too horrible, but IMHO I'd try to test one out first before committing.

edit: For the TJs though they had a few years of bad 4 liter engine head castings and then a faulty oil pump that could destroy the engine. Apparently '00 and '01 had the cracking head (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-identify-0331-or-tupy-head.8112/) and the bad oil pump was from '04 to '05 (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-is-the-opda-and-do-i-need-to-change-mine.80/).

Yeah, this is the truth. I would take an XJ or WJ over a TJ if the main goal was driving safely in snow. Plus given the price inflation on TJs, you should be able to get a nicer version of an XJ or WJ for the same money.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mod sassinator posted:

The only times I've ever had any trouble in my XJ was when I already knew I was doing something stupid ahead of time. When it's snowing I leave 4wd on until I get to a parking lot. That said, something with AWD as an option* would be better for plowed roads where the driving surface keeps switching back and forth. Unless someone just wants a Wrangler, I'd definitely get some sort of Cherokee though.

*I mean as an option to the driver. I know "Full Time 4wd" was available in some form on practically every regular/Grand Cherokee.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kastivich posted:

Plus given the price inflation on TJs, you should be able to get a nicer version of an XJ or WJ for the same money.

Very true. I sold a WJ near top of the market and bought a TJ near the bottom of the market for about the same money. The WJ needed nothing, the TJ needed a lot. WJs with Quadradrive are loving awesome on wet / snowy roads.

The WJ is the much nicer vehicle for everything that isn't rock crawling, and isn't bad at that. The TJ is better at that, and for stupid poo poo like driving around with no doors or windows. It's better, because it's worse.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's better, because it's worse.

They should replace the marketing slogan "Jeep wave equipped" with this.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is there such a thing as a nice ZJ anymore? It's been a while since I've seen one that isn't garbage.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I see them driven by elderly folks every so often, still, but I've never found one for sale. There's a big part of me that wants a beautiful mostly stock V8 ZJ as a family car, just because I've always liked them, but I'd want it to be nice, and every time I've looked, they're ... more often not. Prices bottomed out and people started turning them into cheap wheelers and it was all downhill from there.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The only time I even hear ZJs mentioned anymore is as an upgrade parts donor for XJs.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Come out to the PNW, it's like clean Jeep paradise. I see plenty of ZJs on the road and even a 5.9 every now and then.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
After hitting a deer last week:

IMG_20191022_153106 by B. B., on Flickr

Now:

IMG_20191022_154914 by B. B., on Flickr

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Krakkles posted:

For sure! I felt the same, and I am lucky to know a very talented fabricator. In terms of whether they look stock - eh, I leave it to your judgement, that could really be argued either way, but I'd probably say: No, but the average person looking at it probably doesn't realize exactly how gnarly they are.

Front:

Rear:

click for bigger.

The front is built from two stock bumpers - one in the middle, another cut in half and fabricated to the ends - the rear is three. It's fun telling people my jeep has (five) stock bumpers! There's for sure some small weight from the LED light bars (two 15" behind the front bumper) and the bracing at the rear corners - there's a ~5/8" x 2" box section going straight forward at the body line with bracing into the "frame" which lets me drop down rock ledges and take no damage.

edit: Found a shot of the bracing, sort of:

Bottom body line, behind the rear wheel, all a big strong box section - I've dropped ~3 feet onto it with no issue.

I love all of this. Been trying to come up with a way to hide a LED lightbar in the front but may just integrate one into the bumper.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm on mobile so quick imgur album link but; so I broke down the other day.

https://imgur.com/gallery/PdRAhTA

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Braincloud posted:

I love all of this. Been trying to come up with a way to hide a LED lightbar in the front but may just integrate one into the bumper.
Thank you! The trick for me was to find a bar with curvature and light spacing to match. We dodged the curvature bullet by using two shorter (15") bars, and were able to find large lights with adequate spacing pretty easily on ebay.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Karma Comedian posted:

I'm on mobile so quick imgur album link but; so I broke down the other day.

https://imgur.com/gallery/PdRAhTA

Ooof, at least that should have been a quick and cheap fix?

My TJ refused to take more than about 1-2 tenths of a gallon at a time tonight. Got five gallons in that way and gave up. I'll try a different pump to rule that out but if that's still a problem then I guess I'm dropping the tank. Joy.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ooof, at least that should have been a quick and cheap fix?

My TJ refused to take more than about 1-2 tenths of a gallon at a time tonight. Got five gallons in that way and gave up. I'll try a different pump to rule that out but if that's still a problem then I guess I'm dropping the tank. Joy.

Yeah my boss sent me down a new rotor and cap with one of our parts guys (I live like 25 miles away from work, through the middle of a nature reserve) and we got it running right there. Only now my timing is so off I'm having to twist the distributor a little at a time and hope.

Good news is spending so much time under the hood I found my exhaust leak.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Sometimes is the dumb little additions that bring that spark of joy in your Jeep

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Braincloud posted:

Oh yeah, the OG design. Def not KM2s.

Do they even make those still? How old are they? Tire rubber really starts to get dry and hard and lose traction after 5ish years.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

kastein posted:

Do they even make those still? How old are they? Tire rubber really starts to get dry and hard and lose traction after 5ish years.

They were making them for the JK/JKU rubicon tire package I believe. They definitely need some siping to help with wet conditions. If you have a grooving iron, you can flip the blade around and use that. Takes forever, but can be done. I can't think of any method that wouldn't take forever TBH.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, gonna have to just bite the bullet.

Recommendations for a new audio head unit to replace the 130 in my '16 Wrangler? I don't care if it has a disc player. I'd like to keep steering wheel controls, but bluetooth is really the only thing I care about. Android Auto would be nice.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I’m eyeballing a 2010 JKU with 67k miles.

What do I need to know before purchasing? It appears to have been a garage Queen.

What sort of longevity can I expect with good maintenance and no major abuse?

Edit: everyone seems to say avoid the 3.8. so the search continues!

Walked fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 28, 2019

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Paulie posted:

They were making them for the JK/JKU rubicon tire package I believe. They definitely need some siping to help with wet conditions. If you have a grooving iron, you can flip the blade around and use that. Takes forever, but can be done. I can't think of any method that wouldn't take forever TBH.

Took the grooving iron to them yesterday and did a combo of grooving and siping. I modeled the grooves after the KM3 design. With that and the siping, the tires made a satisfying “sticking “ sound they didn’t make before as I rolled them back across the garage.

We’ll see if this makes any difference on wet pavement. Of course no rain is in the forecast for the next 10 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Hi Jeep thread, I'm giundy and I make terrible life choices. I took a chance and got a 2011 JKU with 120k miles (probably 130k due to tire size). Its mostly worked out well, just a bit of a money sink getting things back in order. Reaffirmed choice by my 4 year old saying "Daddy, this is the coolest Jeep ever!"

Things done so far: spark plugs, air filter, oil pan gasket, soft top, bumper, brake pads, parking brake, ball joints, AEV control arm brackets, used (<100 mile) KO2s. $1700 getting it back in shape.

I expect to put 3-4k miles on this thing a year, how long will the K02s last before they dry out and get hard?

Here she is posing at the mountain bike park:

Happy garage, before the new top went on and the wife's car kicked the Jeep out:

Walked posted:

I’m eyeballing a 2010 JKU with 67k miles.

What do I need to know before purchasing? It appears to have been a garage Queen.

What sort of longevity can I expect with good maintenance and no major abuse?

Edit: everyone seems to say avoid the 3.8. so the search continues!

In the used market 140-170k seem to be the life of an original engine. I had a 2014 2 door, and daily a Civic SI. The 3.8 in the JKU comparably is the worst engine I've had since my parents made me drive a 96 Cavalier. It gets a bad rap but it doesn't really seem better or worse than the old 4.0, the Jeep just got heavier and the output stayed the same. i just drive it like a grandpa in the right lane and accept my choice, especially since the premium around here for a 2012+ is ~$5k more for the same mileage. Next year I'll probably start collecting LFX part.

torgeaux posted:

Ok, gonna have to just bite the bullet.

Recommendations for a new audio head unit to replace the 130 in my '16 Wrangler? I don't care if it has a disc player. I'd like to keep steering wheel controls, but bluetooth is really the only thing I care about. Android Auto would be nice.

No recommendations, but avoid Pioneer for Android Auto. They like to throw software errors and die. You'll need a CANBUS wheel control unit for any headunit. Crutchfield has both options the same price as anywhere else.