Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

whydirt posted:

I'd like to think that Invoke Prejudice is a $300+ card (higher than Mana Drain?!?) because so many have been destroyed due to having literal hooded klansmen in the art, but I'm fearful the real answer isn't as heartwarming.

It's a passive counterspell and only six packs of legends were ever opened.

It's like Tabernacle in that sense.

Also mana drain got reprinted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Please wait to ban Cat Combo until I win an event with it, I only had to spend $10 to complete it. Better yet, don't ban it so I know what it's like to actually play a tier 1 (TBD) deck in a format.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
ok but how will mill be in this new world?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Is Bant Coco really better than Aetherworks Marvel or Copy Cat?

Quite possibly.

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

EDIT: Also worth noting, had Reflector Mage not been banned, it would have been legal, if only for a little bit, with Saheeli and Felidar Guardian in Standard(it had already been legal with Saheeli, but she was weak enough on her own that it doesn't matter much).

It would've also been legal for UW Oketra's Monument standard which would've made that an extremely bad standard instead of a brief period of being kinda alright.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm tempted to make some kind of weird G/B/x Hardened Scales list for Pioneer. A base package of Walking Ballista, Hangarback Walker, Stonecoil Serpent, Steel Overseer and Winding Constrictor, with maybe Corpsejack Menace, Animation Module and Durable Handicraft in there somewhere. Fatal Push, Abrupt Decay and Assassin's Trophy for the removal package, probably. I'm gonna love this format, since I absolutely hate how easily fetches enable degeneracy in every format they're legal in.

Hell, Izzet Phoenix will probably be T1 in the format, since pretty much every card in the Modern version is Pioneer-legal, and you can run Treasure Cruise :getin:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Hell, Izzet Phoenix will probably be T1 n the format, since pretty much every card in the Modern version is Pioneer-legal, and you can run Treasure Cruise :getin:

I think Izzet Phoenix has been extremely dead in Modern since Looting got banned, and it loses all the cantrips it plays.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Opt, Merchant of the Vale, Thrill of Possibility, Izzet Charm, Merfolk Secretkeeper and Cathartic Reunion are more than enough to make it competitive.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Archenteron posted:

With Loch, Tutelage, Ashiok, Manic Scribe, and Drowned Secrets...maybe?

Edit: LOL at Maze's End, Scapeshift, and Splendid Reclamation together

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 22, 2019

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Silhouette posted:

I'm tempted to make some kind of weird G/B/x Hardened Scales list for Pioneer. A base package of Walking Ballista, Hangarback Walker, Stonecoil Serpent, Steel Overseer and Winding Constrictor, with maybe Corpsejack Menace, Animation Module and Durable Handicraft in there somewhere. Fatal Push, Abrupt Decay and Assassin's Trophy for the removal package, probably.

maybe monstrosity has a new payoff in theros 2

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 22, 2019

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

GoutPatrol posted:

With Loch, Tutelage, Ashiok, Manic Scribe, and Drowned Secrets...maybe?

Edit: LOL at Maze's End, Scapeshift, and Splendid Reclamation together

Also this guy

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

C-Euro posted:

Please wait to ban Cat Combo until I win an event with it, I only had to spend $10 to complete it. Better yet, don't ban it so I know what it's like to actually play a tier 1 (TBD) deck in a format.

Nailed down a set of sorcerous spy glasses for my sideboard after running into this last FNM. There seem to be ways to pick it apart but none that I had ready to go.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I'd assume it's 100% that the friendly fast lands will be printed in the next core set to make the mana bases even for pioneer. I guess since they're actual locations that's the only way to print them since core doesn't have a story to it.

Also 5 of the shock lands have been printed in precons so far. If they do another round of Brawl decks for the next set with one each that'll leave 1 spot in the challenger decks. It's pretty great that you can build a 12 card enemy color land base for $80 or less.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
...Mazes End Turbofog?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Archenteron posted:

...Mazes End Turbofog?

Hello Questing Beast, your time to shine.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
This format, especially the mad scramble to build decks trying to figure out what works the first couple months has to be a godsend to every LGS and big internet seller that's stuck with cards that rotated out over the last few years. I'm sure the stores stuck with a couple dozen copies of check lands will be happy to sell them for $3-$4 again. I'm really happy I picked up a set of Vraska's Contempt for about $1 each after rotation just in case this format ever materialized (I guessed Origins forward).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Played some dance, manse revolution on Arena tonight and with FoD/Golos gone as of Thursday I think the deck might be really interesting to consider more deeply. It has a terrible oko matchup (because oko can keep making food to keep doom foretold from hitting anything relevant) but it utterly crushed everything else I ran into.

Could see an interesting meta where aggro beats oko, oko beats dance, manse revolution and DMR bears aggro. Since oko decks are pretty much mid-range this would be a pretty natural state of things.

I'm also curious to see if oko ends up oppressive as people think. I suspect not because aggro strategies are going to be considerably easier to use now that Golos decks are gone.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 22, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

axeil posted:

It has a terrible oko matchup (because oko can keep making food to keep doing foretold from hitting anything relevant)

That's not how Doom Foretold works.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
sultai oko with epic downfall incoming :getin:

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Jabor posted:

That's not how Doom Foretold works.

Really not sure how they could play that deck and not figure that out

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Doom Foretold is the perfect card against oko decks, but only if you actually know how Doom Foretold works.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

So it's time for a pioneer thunderdome on xmage, right?

This might finally be my chance to get in on the ground floor for jund without having to drop extreme bills.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

axeil posted:

Played some dance, manse revolution on Arena tonight and with FoD/Golos gone as of Thursday I think the deck might be really interesting to consider more deeply. It has a terrible oko matchup (because oko can keep making food to keep doom foretold from hitting anything relevant) but it utterly crushed everything else I ran into.

Could see an interesting meta where aggro beats oko, oko beats dance, manse revolution and DMR bears aggro. Since oko decks are pretty much mid-range this would be a pretty natural state of things.

I'm also curious to see if oko ends up oppressive as people think. I suspect not because aggro strategies are going to be considerably easier to use now that Golos decks are gone.

Doom Foretold ignores tokens (The food token is a token)

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So anything other than Fabled Passage spring to mind as "needs to reprinted at uncommon asap" for Pioneer?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

mossyfisk posted:

So anything other than Fabled Passage spring to mind as "needs to reprinted at uncommon asap" for Pioneer?

Prismatic vista

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Was planning on going to Magicfest Brussels, which has just been announced as a Pioneer GP...

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BizarroAzrael posted:

Was planning on going to Magicfest Brussels, which has just been announced as a Pioneer GP...

Like, if you really have no clue, try Phoenix or UR control. Most of the modern deck is available in pioneer. Unless maybe Manamorphose is irreplaceable.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Bant Coco with Veil of summer as an all around protection to just fight entirely on the enemies end step.

Hm.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
How much of Standard needs to be oko+krasis for Blightbeetle to be good?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Archenteron posted:

...Mazes End Turbofog?

(turns head sideways like your dog when you say its name)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

It exists but it's bad, you're losing all of the good mill spells but you retain a lot of the support cards (Push, Crypt Incursion, Drown in the Loch) or facsimiles of them (Into the Story as a replacement for Visions). No Surgical is a huge bummer though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

This deck seems like it'd get dominated by various Company value piles and redundant combo decks, and also Autumn's Veil.

are they going to need to ban autumn's veil lol

Isn't veil of summer just a straight upgrade to autumn?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

mossyfisk posted:

How much of Standard needs to be oko+krasis for Blightbeetle to be good?

Even if 100% of standard was oko+krasis, Blightbeetle wouldn't be super useful. A two mana 1/1 needs to do more than removing a counter from Oko every turn to be good. Preventing Krasis from landing is only dealing with half the problem and in many match ups, the last impactful half of it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

GoutPatrol posted:

Like, if you really have no clue, try Phoenix or UR control. Most of the modern deck is available in pioneer. Unless maybe Manamorphose is irreplaceable.

lol why would you bother planning anything for a paper event in three months when they explicitly said that they will police the gently caress out of the format between now and then?

I'm playing GP Brussels but I'm not going to bother figuring out the format until January

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 22, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I can't be the only one excited about Ramunap Red with Experimental Frenzy or mono white knights with the Eldraine stuff + Benalish Marshal and History of Benalia right? I just wanna turn dudes sideways. I wonder what sort of tribal vampire deck you can put together with Sorin.

Is Pioneer Burn going to be at all good? I guess people aren't taking damage from fetches and there's no Bolt or Lava Spike.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

MikeCrotch posted:

Is Pioneer Burn going to be at all good? I guess people aren't taking damage from fetches and there's no Bolt or Lava Spike.

There's also more reliant on UNTAPPED shocks and painlands (due to no fetches), and the card pool of Pioneer has produced more than a couple of Pro Tour winning decks, including in higher powered formats. Not sure what the deck will look like, but I think it'll be good.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think it's more rdw than burn.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think it's more rdw than burn.
A question for the philosophers.

Either way, I strongly suspect that a red aggressive deck is going to be viable in the format. Maybe not a meta-beater but definitely something with a respectable showing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
You can do a pretty good Monored Prowess imitation with the Pioneer cardpool, so I think it will more like that than your traditional Burn deck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tibalt posted:

A question for the philosophers.

I mean, you don't have the damage spells but you have the aggro boys. Zurgo Bellstriker, Kari Zev, Chainwhirler, Hazoret, stuff like that.

Might want to splash a second color to get some stuff. Green gets you Arf-Arf's command, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

They don't because they're busy slamming 4 CoCo instead.

Which also sucks but for different reasons.

(Bant Coco really good guys)

You have mentioned this a few times I think, do you have a pioneer list you like or just thinking it's going to be great?