Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kheldarn posted:

It's (slowly) being transformed into multiple web extentions. Everything from the Links tab is done, and available as Tab Mix - Links.

Got that one already, but thanks.

Good to know there's still work being done on it.

Just wish I could work out how to stop "Open all in tabs" stealing focus every time I open everything in a bookmark folder.

With Tab Mix Plus it was all just so easy :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

astral posted:

Good ol' status bar.

Status 4 Evar

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
What's a good dark mode extension for Android Firefox? It can't run themes otherwise I'd just use one.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

effika posted:

What's a good dark mode extension for Android Firefox? It can't run themes otherwise I'd just use one.

Android firefox can run themes.
Source: A theme I published got popular for no apparent reason, with no effort made to publicize it.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Nth Doctor posted:

Source: A theme I published got popular for no apparent reason, with no effort made to publicize it.

I'm the lone solaris user

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

What's the theme called, so I can be your sole FreeBSD user?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm the AIX user at <1%

edit: Holy poo poo, this might actually be real

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 16, 2019

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

D. Ebdrup posted:

What's the theme called, so I can be your sole FreeBSD user?

Space Fantasy Redux

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

effika posted:

I just started using Dark Reader. It's available for Firefox and Chrome, mobile and Desktop.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Ooh, this turns the notification area a pretty blue. Nice.

Kheldarn posted:

I just started using Dark Reader. It's available for Firefox and Chrome, mobile and Desktop.

Thanks!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

effika posted:

Ooh, this turns the notification area a pretty blue. Nice.

Thanks! I like it, too. :shobon:
I can't take all the credit. This is a reimplementation of a theme that shipped with Firefox 34 that the author subsequently deleted and dropped off the face of the earth. I just repackaged the assets and filled in the blanks for the things that had changed.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

effika posted:

Firefox Preview has a dark theme.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
BRB gonna get out my BeOs4 cd and compile a Firefox build for it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I just tried to save an image using the "Save Image As..." context menu.

The download failed, but succeeded when I clicked retry.

Is there a way to make Firefox automatically retry downloads initiated by "Save Image As..."

Alternative question: Is there a way to make Firefox to just loving save the image it is showing on the screen because it has already downloaded it and not download it again?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Wheany posted:

Alternative question: Is there a way to make Firefox to just loving save the image it is showing on the screen because it has already downloaded it and not download it again?
It should be in cache, if you have to download it again the site is breaking cache somehow.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Harik posted:

It should be in cache, if you have to download it again the site is breaking cache somehow.

This was imgur, do they do that?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've seen Firefox be weird about cache and re-downloading images it's clearly got in some kind of cache --because I'm looking at them on my screen right at that very moment-- at seemingly random.
Not that I've been able to pin down how/why because it doesn't seem consistent, even among hosts or browsing sessions. Maybe it's a thing it does for images that are only in the memory cache? I dunno. Sometimes Firefox just decides not to cache images to the disk.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Yeah, like on this page if I click on "View Image Info" on avatars it says "Unknown (not cached)" for the size, which is frankly bullshit.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It seems there is a separate in-memory storage for just the renderer. I think that's always a decoded/lossless format, except it might be scaled down if the original source is much larger resolution than the displayed. In other words, not the original file, which is what you want to download.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If it only keeps the decoded images in memory and discards the source file, then that'd make sense. You'd end up compressing jpgs to hell otherwise.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wheany posted:

I just tried to save an image using the "Save Image As..." context menu.

The download failed, but succeeded when I clicked retry.

Is there a way to make Firefox automatically retry downloads initiated by "Save Image As..."

You may wanna grab DownThemAll, since it can retry downloads like you want, and has also recently been made into a WebExtension to work on the new version of Firefox (as was covered quite recently ITT).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I feel like whoever made the new icon for 70.0 is a mole trying to bring down the company from the inside.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Celexi posted:

I'm the lone solaris user

Welp, time to boot up my windows 98 machine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

jeeves posted:

I feel like whoever made the new icon for 70.0 is a mole trying to bring down the company from the inside.

I don't know why they don't change the purple to the blue colour from previous versions. This one looks like a pirated version of Firefox.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't know why they don't change the purple to the blue colour from previous versions. This one looks like a pirated version of Firefox.

The color change is baffling in this era of "OMG FIND A BRAND AND STICK WITH IT" and then also the flattened/lopsided icon.

It is just such a weird choice.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

the logo's bad but mac performance really does seem better now so i'll take the tradeoff

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah, I wrote about it when 70 hit beta, but their improvements to the JavaScript engine this version makes web page loads noticeably quicker. Firefox 70 is a very good version.

Firefox 71 hit beta and the only major change was making the picture-in-picture mode enabled by default. You can use it in version 70, but it is hidden behind about:config flags. It is also a feature I find myself heavily using, especially after my 2nd monitor broke.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Didn't they also gut/ruin the "about:config" page for v71.0 much like they did with the pointless change to the "about:addons" page a while back, seems like another major there, change at least for some.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is there any way to avoid being sent to local site portals that isn't using a VPN?

Everything I've found says no, but I figured I'd give it one last shot and ask here.

I'm sick of being redirected to lovely, half-complete Australian versions of US sites where, half the time, the article doesn't even exist. So I click on a link to an article, but it redirects to the Australian site's main page because that site has only a fraction of the US site's content and the article I'm looking for isn't there.

You'd think if the article doesn't exist on the local site it wouldn't redirect, but apparently that's expecting too much.

Right now, I'm having to use a free VPN when clicking the links and then turning it off after I've read the page. It's not a huge deal, it's just extra hassle for a problem which shouldn't exist in 2019.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 23, 2019

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

looks like the new firefox blocks twitter embeds by default. is there any way to only allow it on SA, ie do blocks on a per-site basis?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a combo of ublock and either umatrix or privacy badger will allow you to do that.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Truga posted:

a combo of ublock and either umatrix or privacy badger will allow you to do that.

so you're saying disable the built-in privacy settings, and manage it via add-ons?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

No, none of that is necessary. Just set an exception for the forums for the Enhanced Tracking Protection.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

oh yeah I'm dumb it is per site.

e: hmm no, twitter embeds still not loading. probably have to disable more.

e2: turns out it was privacy badger all along. apparently it resets after an update, maybe? weird.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 23, 2019

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

mike12345 posted:

oh yeah I'm dumb it is per site.

e: hmm no, twitter embeds still not loading. probably have to disable more.

Having the same issue here, tried disabling the Enhanced Tracking Protection for this site before finding this thread.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

check your privacy badger settings

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Whitelisting the forums in Privacy Badger worked for me.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Whitelisting the forums in Privacy Badger did it, thanks all.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I really don't understand why they need to always change little things in small ways that don't help and just mess with my muscle memory, the top sites thing in the new tab used to be in the middle, now they're along the top for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Booourns posted:

I really don't understand why they need to always change little things in small ways that don't help and just mess with my muscle memory, the top sites thing in the new tab used to be in the middle, now they're along the top for some reason?

Because every tech company expects "work" from their employees, so they just gently caress around with things to make it seem like they're doing something important.