Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Phanatic posted:

It is toxic. So's copper. So are the chromium and nickel in stainless steel. So are the psoralens in celery, the the solanine in potatoes, the cyanogenic glycosides in barley, the hydrazines in mushrooms, and a great many other things you are unavoidably exposed to every single day.

Dose is relevant. Aluminum cookware will not harm you.

The dose you get from aluminum cookware when it's scratched or in contact with acid, or specific food additives is higher than what you get naturally occurring in plants and in usually in forms that're harder for the body to remove. Also Alzheimer's runs in my family so we're taking every precaution we can just in case.

swickles posted:

I was going to say, your aluminum exposure is significantly greater from antiperspirant than cookware, but then again you are a goon so chances of using one are pretty small.

Yeah I use deodorant that's not antiperspirant. Also aluminum-free baking powder but I started doing that because of the taste.

Anyway I don't think either of us is gonna convince the other so we should probably just drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Real talk: what are the pros and cons of stoneware for baking?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

At present, there is no strong evidence to support the fears that coming in to contact with metals through using equipment or through food or water increases your risk of developing Alzheimer's disease.

As stated by multiple national Alzheimer's groups.
https://alzheimer.ca/en/Home/About-dementia/Alzheimer-s-disease/Risk-factors/Aluminum

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/metals-and-dementia

Or direct from the Alzheimer's Society:

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-alzheimers/myths
Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

In this case, the dose isn't a poison.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
A store close to my work was having a going out of business sale today and in a fit of madness I grabbed the one remaining Le Creuset enameled dutch oven at 50% off. It's in good shape, slightly smaller than what I was originally looking for (it's 6.75qt) and oval rather than round, but should fit the bill I think. I can live with oval shaped loaves of bread.

I hope I made the right choice :ohdear:

Any tips for taking care of this thing?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Keret posted:

A store close to my work was having a going out of business sale today and in a fit of madness I grabbed the one remaining Le Creuset enameled dutch oven at 50% off. It's in good shape, slightly smaller than what I was originally looking for (it's 6.75qt) and oval rather than round, but should fit the bill I think. I can live with oval shaped loaves of bread.

I hope I made the right choice :ohdear:

Any tips for taking care of this thing?

You don't really need to take care of enameled cast iron. Just use it and enjoy it. If something sticks, boil a little water in it to loosen it up. Maybe don't plunge it in cold water while it's hot, but you really shouldn't do that with any of your cookware.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm weirdly attached to my oval dutch oven even though oval makes no rational sense for my use cases. Maybe some day I'll do a whole suckling pig and feel vindicated.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You don't really need to take care of enameled cast iron. Just use it and enjoy it. If something sticks, boil a little water in it to loosen it up. Maybe don't plunge it in cold water while it's hot, but you really shouldn't do that with any of your cookware.

That's encouraging, thanks for the info. I know these things can outlive me if I take care of them, so I want to do so.

It looks like this one has a plastic knob rather than a metal one, is it worth trading up to metal or is the plastic one generally fine in your experience? I think it's the higher heat version of the two plastic ones, looking at the manual.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

But the popping sounds means it's working!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Keret posted:

That's encouraging, thanks for the info. I know these things can outlive me if I take care of them, so I want to do so.

It looks like this one has a plastic knob rather than a metal one, is it worth trading up to metal or is the plastic one generally fine in your experience? I think it's the higher heat version of the two plastic ones, looking at the manual.

i swapped my DO to a metal one from a different LC pan, since the dutch oven is more likely to be subjected to really high temps than my saucier

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You know what you need? A SMART CUTTING BOARD

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...&ref=cij5mj

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Every time someone comes up with transformer bullshit like that all I can think is how annoying it'll be to clean out all the nooks and crannies when they inevitably get random crud up in them

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...iiwc&ref=cij5mj

I hate this.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

why spend 30-40 dollars on all this separate equipment when you could buy one device that does it all for more than twice the price??

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
one million seven hundred fifty loving thousand yoo ess dollars

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

why spend 30-40 dollars on all this separate equipment when you could buy one device that does it all for more than twice the price??

Congrats, you've been disrupted.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like if we here put our minds to it, we can scam people out of way more money than that with an even more ridiculous idea.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...iiwc&ref=cij5mj

ofc it’s bamboo lmbo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SHVPS4DETH posted:

ofc it’s bamboo lmbo

Yeah what gives. It’s already ridiculous that there’s been more than one cutting board Kickstarter and on top of that they’re all bamboo

I guess cause it’s cheaper than wood and hides scratches longer?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah what gives. It’s already ridiculous that there’s been more than one cutting board Kickstarter and on top of that they’re all bamboo

I guess cause it’s cheaper than wood and hides scratches longer?

Also naturally waterproof and maybe can be very hard? I’ve seen it used as flooring material for those reasons.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Lawnie posted:

Also naturally waterproof and maybe can be very hard? I’ve seen it used as flooring material for those reasons.

see also: marble, acrylic, glass

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SHVPS4DETH posted:

see also: marble, acrylic, glass

Please do not use any of these materials for a cutting board.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Please do not use any of these materials for a cutting board.

Well if we hit our stretch goals..

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What makes a 250 dollar dutch oven better than a 50 dollar lodge? Tougher enamel?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mainly, yeah

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bamhand posted:

What makes a 250 dollar dutch oven better than a 50 dollar lodge? Tougher enamel?

You can brag about paying $200 more.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone have a 4-5” utility knife they like? Looking to pick one up for my wife, and I like window shopping online.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bamhand posted:

most importantly, lifetime warranty (even if you buy one used!).

my le creuset do is a lot lighter weight than the Martha Stewart one it replaced

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 21, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bamhand posted:

Lodge doesn't have a star wars line.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Democratic Pirate posted:

Anyone have a 4-5” utility knife they like? Looking to pick one up for my wife, and I like window shopping online.

it kind of depends on what tasks yr lookin for it to do, you know? the victorinox paring takes care of most small tasks and it's cheap, plus it'll do stuff like open boxes and bags as needed, and i leave bigger tasks to oxo kitchen shears. like i have the utility knife that came with the block i got as a gift but i never think "oh you know what'd be perfect for this? the utility knife" nor "dang i rly need to replace/upgrade my utility knife" and also this is the most i've thought abt a utility knife in at least a decade tbh

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

most importantly, lifetime warranty (even if you buy one used!).

my le creuset do is a lot lighter weight than the Martha Stewart one it replaced

Is lighter necessarily good? My understanding is they're made of iron right? Less mass = retains less heat. It's not like creuset uses an advanced alloy that is lighter while retaining all the other properties?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

SHVPS4DETH posted:

it kind of depends on what tasks yr lookin for it to do, you know? the victorinox paring takes care of most small tasks and it's cheap, plus it'll do stuff like open boxes and bags as needed, and i leave bigger tasks to oxo kitchen shears. like i have the utility knife that came with the block i got as a gift but i never think "oh you know what'd be perfect for this? the utility knife" nor "dang i rly need to replace/upgrade my utility knife" and also this is the most i've thought abt a utility knife in at least a decade tbh

My wife has small hands and doesn’t like that her only knife options at home are an 8” chefs knife or a cheapo paring knife that doesn’t hold an edge. I’m materialistic enough that I’ll spend the $ to get a fancy knife with a wood handle or something.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
4-5in doesnt seem that useful for kitchen work, is the problem with the 8" knife the size of the handle or the blade is "too big"?

bamhand posted:

Is lighter necessarily good? My understanding is they're made of iron right? Less mass = retains less heat. It's not like creuset uses an advanced alloy that is lighter while retaining all the other properties?

im not sure if it really makes a difference in cooking but it sure is nice when you're moving big pots around

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
You can get a 130mm Moritaka petty from cktg that's just a scaled-down version of their gyuto. And costs about as much as one. I don't have the petty but I do have one of their full-sized gyutos and when I want to use a gyuto that's the one I use.

You're not going to find a whole lot of great options around that size, though, because blade size usually scales with the task, not the hands. For most knifemakers somewhere around 7"/180mm is the smallest they go with standard chef's knife style patterns, outside of custom poo poo. Much smaller and your knife is going to be smaller than a lot of common poo poo that you might want to cut. Like it would be a pain in the rear end to butterfly a chicken breast with a 4" knife, and it's not like that's some fancy abstract thing you'd only see in high-end kitchens or whatever.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i really liked my petty tojiro dp (4.5", about $60) until i lost it in a move -- might buy one again.

it was also just a scaled-down version of their main gyuto though. it was nice for deboning meat

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 21, 2019

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

bamhand posted:

Yes, higher mass = better heat retention, lighter is better if you are weak or have mobility issues.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

SHVPS4DETH posted:

double for the victorinox paring knife. I use mine whenever I can. It's cheap, relatively easy to sharpen, and is a solid size for kitchen tasks.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

I like the MAC Professional 5".

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
been browsing for a carbon steel pan and came across the review photos from users and they are...not good!

https://www.amazon.com/Buyer-MINERA...#CustomerImages

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have the Lodge carbon steel pan and it's my favorite skillet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My wife and I are looking to get rid of our old plastic food storage containers and move to glass so they last longer. We'll need multiple sizes so some kind of combo set, I'm guessing. Any suggestions?