Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Stairmaster posted:

I just watched dead or alive(1999) and I think I have to rethink all of cinema now

I still love the dumb subplot with the wrestler dad tyring to be supportive of his daugther while trying to beat the poo poo out of her for the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Atrocious Joe posted:

ken loach is gonna be forced to make movies about a guy crushed by the Hulk trying to qualify for disability

I'd watch this

Make a damage control workplace sitcom too

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
righteous gemstones is the best show of the year hands down

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still love the dumb subplot with the wrestler dad tyring to be supportive of his daugther while trying to beat the poo poo out of her for the tournament.

Different Dead or Alive

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

the Adam Sandler vehicle?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Adam Sandler vehicle?

no the Danny McBride one

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Easily the best Christian song produced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-znj7Uf9Oo

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Taintrunner posted:

Hell yeah.

Give Walton Goggins all the awards.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the ending to righteous gemstones felt extremely off-brand

rest of it was gold tho

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

The cops in my conspiracy show aren't clearly depicted as bad therefore they must be good for the entire run of my conspiracy show

https://twitter.com/bransonreese/status/1186635835497680896?s=20

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Easily the best Christian song produced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-znj7Uf9Oo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_OJsO8xnRQ

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more like poop culture

Serf
May 5, 2011

lol the imagery of the masked black cop who has to get 3 levels of authorization to even get his gun who still gets blown away by the white guy in the truck

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

does watchmen the tv show really take place in fuckin oklahoma?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Peanut President posted:

in tulsa, no less

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Peanut President posted:

Yes. It literally starts with the 1921 Tulsa riots. Might seem like a weird location for a major show, but thematically it already seems to have justified itself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
calling it a riot rather obscures who was doing what, and what they were doing

it was the 1921 Bombing of Black Wall Street

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

calling it a riot rather obscures who was doing what, and what they were doing

it was the 1921 Bombing of Black Wall Street

I'm Canadian and only learned of it this week, most people including wikipedia called it the Tulsa Race Riot. force of habit.

Anywho, based on that framing and the naming of the 7th Cavalry as the white supremacist cult, my main theory is the show, plotwise, will be about white supremacists and a complicit police conspiracy to start a new civil war.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

MasterSitsu posted:

Yes. It literally starts with the 1921 Tulsa riots. Might seem like a weird location for a major show, but thematically it already seems to have justified itself.

was new york still annihilated in the tv show timeline? if so, does the show make any effort to explain whether adrian's plan was ultimately successful? are all of dr manhattan's blimps and free energy stuff still around, or are they just inexplicably absent?

how does it compare to The Boys on amazon? I really really liked that tv adaptation and i'm worried that the watchmen tv show is just going to be retreading the same conceptual space (what if super heroes were bad people) without enough to differentiate it. seems like watchmen is a smaller scope story focused more on racism?

i'm actually gonna have to watch this show aren't i.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

was new york still annihilated in the tv show timeline? if so, does the show make any effort to explain whether adrian's plan was ultimately successful? are all of dr manhattan's blimps and free energy stuff still around, or are they just inexplicably absent?

how does it compare to The Boys on amazon? I really really liked that tv adaptation and i'm worried that the watchmen tv show is just going to be retreading the same conceptual space (what if super heroes were bad people) without enough to differentiate it. seems like watchmen is a smaller scope story focused more on racism?

we're one episode in and it has not explained much of anything aside from robert redford has been president for 30 years and did reparations, squids regularly rain from the sky, veidt has been declared dead and the cops use a copy of nite-owl's ship. also gun control has been implemented and vietnam is a state

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if it's taking place in 1921 I think it takes place long before the events of the main Watchmen story

e: yeah no def way before, the main story takes place after nam

Serf
May 5, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

if it's taking place in 1921 I think it takes place long before the events of the main Watchmen story

it takes place in 2019. it just opens on the tulsa massacre in 1921 then skips forward

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Serf posted:

it takes place in 2019. it just opens on the tulsa massacre in 1921 then skips forward

ohhh okay

ignore me!

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Freaking Crumbum posted:

there's only one episode out but it seems more focused on far right terror and secessionism as opposed to 'what if super heroes but bad'. there's definitely overlap between the premise, production values, and exaggerated violence and gore, but so far it seems like the boys is more of a straight comedy. i didn't think i'd watch it at all based on the trailers but it's better than it has any right to be, although it's rather unsubtle and on the nose

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

MasterSitsu posted:

I'm Canadian and only learned of it this week, most people including wikipedia called it the Tulsa Race Riot. force of habit.

Anywho, based on that framing and the naming of the 7th Cavalry as the white supremacist cult, my main theory is the show, plotwise, will be about white supremacists and a complicit police conspiracy to start a new civil war.

here ya go pal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfVzbM3l7RQ

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Serf posted:

we're one episode in and it has not explained much of anything

cargo cult posted:

there's only one episode out

ugggghhh that's going to be the worst part for me - does HBO not do a content dump a la the other streaming providers? i hate having the show slow dripped as if i'm watching actual live tv like some kind of idiot from 1992

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

ugggghhh that's going to be the worst part for me - does HBO not do a content dump a la the other streaming providers? i hate having the show slow dripped as if i'm watching actual live tv like some kind of idiot from 1992

it airs on sundays, so yeah its gonna be weekly

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freaking Crumbum posted:

lol

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

was new york still annihilated in the tv show timeline?

hasnt come up although you see a brief image of the twin towers flash by

quote:

if so, does the show make any effort to explain whether adrian's plan was ultimately successful?

it worked and robert redford has been president since 1992, but rorschach's journal was publicly released and became the ideological bible for alt-right terrorist groups

quote:

are all of dr manhattan's blimps and free energy stuff still around, or are they just inexplicably absent?
according to the supplemental materials most of his tech was destroyed in an international luddite reaction against dr manhattan's supposed cancer-causing powers, only very recently did they even bring back computers

quote:

idk yet but the Watchmen pilot was loving awesome

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

also one of the heroes in the pilot is a fat sandwich eating russian guy called Red Scare that fights in a soviet colored tracksuit

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Bright/orc-chat in the succzone reminded me of "fairy lives don't matter today"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGrmJHqqi4M

:psyduck:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more like max rapist

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Bro Dad posted:

also one of the heroes in the pilot is a fat sandwich eating russian guy called Red Scare that fights in a soviet colored tracksuit

im in

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MasterSitsu posted:

The cops in my conspiracy show aren't clearly depicted as bad therefore they must be good for the entire run of my conspiracy show

https://twitter.com/bransonreese/status/1186635835497680896?s=20

It's a joke about how the Rorschach guys are explicitly a white supremacist organization calm down

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

The Boys is going to be less about superheros being bad and more about corporations being poo poo, the MIC being poo poo, and the desire for revenge being an awful stupid thing that destroys you if it's even sort of like the comic. Superheros bad is just the hook to get you in the door

No fuckin idea where this show is going yet tho, too soon to tell

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Every major Garth Ennis book is about toxic masculinity, the single coldest take in the history of comics

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The Boys is going to be less about superheros being bad and more about corporations being poo poo, the MIC being poo poo, and the desire for revenge being an awful stupid thing that destroys you if it's even sort of like the comic. Superheros bad is just the hook to get you in the door

No fuckin idea where this show is going yet tho, too soon to tell

The Boys was amazing especially the craziness of Antony Starr as Homelander.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

this reminded me of a Chuck Palahniuk interview from 2002 in Too Much Coffee Man Magazine

quote:

Through a bite of grilled cheese, Chuck says, “In a way I relish that. I don’t think the current system is going to give us a new system. I think things are going to get so bad, there won’t be evolution. There’ll be revolution.” No problem, I think to myself, if Bush gets two terms in office. “All it would take is another Depression,” Chuck continues, still chewing.

Through my own mouthful of grilled cheese, I say, “But it would have to be a different kind of Depression. Not just economical, but cultural.” And he’s right. The pickles do make the cheese taste better.

Chuck swallows, takes a long pull off of his Yoda Soda, and wipes his mouth. “Well, what really struck me about Mohammed Atta, the one being held up as the leader of the hijackings, is that he was going to be the first male of his generation who was not going to further his family’s fortunes. And I think people realize that about their own families. That they’re not going to be taking a step forward, they’re going to be taking a step back. That their children aren’t going to be raised with the same standard they were raised with. That they, as parents, are not going to be able to provide in the way they were provided for. And there will be an enormous sense of abandon, depression, and rage. It always leads to rage.”

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

etalian posted:

The Boys was amazing especially the craziness of Antony Starr as Homelander.

that dude seriously carried the show. he is the most compelling tv villain i've seen since omar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I started reading the comic recently and so far I think the show version of Homelander is better