Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
zero interest in seeing the new ’star wars’ flick here
i dont see how they make a good movie now, after the last two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wonder what the chances are Williams samples 'Across The Stars' for a scene or two with Rey and Ben.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Oh and they use the horse things to board a Starship and take it down. Not kidding.

gently caress it! It worked in Krull...

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

there's definitely a western AAA video game vibe going on with the design here

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's kind of stupid to just bring him back out of nowhere but to be fair Palpatine is usually entertainingly hammy and was probably one of the few good things about the prequels, so more of that should be fun if nothing else.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 22, 2019

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Gonz posted:

The back half of the trailer music was this guy, not Williams.

https://twitter.com/getblake/status/1186473797739614208

Dude is talented. He did this a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POxH_gHnBEA

Meh, even the music shows the problems this trilogy has, it's serviceable but mostly an OT remix, no originality. Rey's theme is decent but overall it doesn't come close to the OT and even the prequel's clearly win out in this area (Duel of the Fates is up there with William's best and the only other iconic one outside the OT).

Larryb posted:

It's kind of stupid to just bring him back out of nowhere but to be fair Palpatine is usually entertainingly hammy and was probably one of the few good things about the prequels, so more of that should be fun if nothing else.

I think the real problem is a lack of setup or any bigger theme and narrative structure that involves Palpatine. You can't avoid/fix the issue of it being stupi that he is back from the dead but I would have been willing to give them a pass if they at least tried to make it fit within the overarching narrative but it's obvious that his inclusion isn't the outcome from a natural narrative flow, it's grasping at straws and simply invoking more nostalgia.
That's the thing, I'll probably even enjoy old hammy Palps but it's going to be in a meta-narrative way, I will enjoy "him" (the "meme"), not the movie.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 22, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

FlamingLiberal posted:

-No seriously where the hell did the Resistance get that giant fleet

It's a big galaxy, even if we accept the ludicrous premise that 100% of the Republic fleet was destroyed at Space Pearl Harbor, there would still presumably be tons of private armies, planetary defense forces, etc, that could form a pretty formidable coalition. The real question is where they all were when the First Order rolled over the entire galaxy in [checks notes] two weeks.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it's a big galaxy, but the resistance still looks like the rebels and the first order still looks like the empire. and we know the spaceship maker/contractors are the same people thanks to tlj. very fishy

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zas posted:

it's a big galaxy, but the resistance still looks like the rebels and the first order still looks like the empire. and we know the spaceship maker/contractors are the same people thanks to tlj. very fishy

It's enough to make you think that there is another side to the conflict that we are not being made aware of. Some kind of unseen enemy, if you will.

...this sounded more clever in my head before I remembered the content of the supposed Reddit leak.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m just gonna chock it up to randos bringing their poo poo like a bunch of fishermen during the evacuation of Dunkirk or a rag tag group of rebels faaaaaaart

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I said come in! posted:

Fair enough! I remember it being more in the 50% range, but that still doesn't seem like a good number. Like there should be an expected increase in profits with a sequel for such a massive movie.

Not usually, no. Empire Strikes Back made less than Star Wars. Return of the Jedi even less so. Attack of the Clones made less than The Phantom Menace. The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens were massive "Star Wars is back!" hype event movies that can't really be replicated by an immediate sequel.

Solo had it's own reasons for completely loving up at the box office, one of which is that it was only pretty good. Another is that I agree Star Wars can't hold up to a movie every 6 months. But there's no reason to believe it wouldn't work once a year. Solo was them experimenting with more, and it failed hard.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'm just gonna chock it up to randos bringing their poo poo like a bunch of fishermen during the evacuation of Dunkirk or a rag tag group of rebels faaaaaaart

It's definitely that and furthermore sounds like it might be a plot point entirely disposed of in the tie in fanfiction novel. It's good to have contempt for your audience

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Solo also had a cursed production.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

General Dog posted:

It's a big galaxy, even if we accept the ludicrous premise that 100% of the Republic fleet was destroyed at Space Pearl Harbor, there would still presumably be tons of private armies, planetary defense forces, etc, that could form a pretty formidable coalition. The real question is where they all were when the First Order rolled over the entire galaxy in [checks notes] two weeks.
Right, that and they did the whole thing at the end of TLJ where no one answered the Resistance’s calls for help. So again, where was all of this stuff? They didn’t build it in a year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right, that and they did the whole thing at the end of TLJ where no one answered the Resistance’s calls for help. So again, where was all of this stuff? They didn’t build it in a year.

Lando called in some favors

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If the excerpt from the fanfiction is to be believed, poe was able to guilt trip at least some of the fleet out of maz kanata. Apparently she had a fleet the whole time and just refused to use it for anything because she was pissy about her castle getting blown up

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Me to unoriginal hack JJ Abrams who is gonna botch this movie so hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anALWMR860s

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maz kanata, listening in silence to leia pleading for help on the radio: this is what you get for not protecting my castle. this. is. what. you. get.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

No Mods No Masters posted:

If the excerpt from the fanfiction is to be believed, poe was able to guilt trip at least some of the fleet out of maz kanata. Apparently she had a fleet the whole time and just refused to use it for anything because she was pissy about her castle getting blown up

She was busy killing her striking workers with it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

Solo also had a cursed production.

The general moviegoing public doesn't give a poo poo about that and probably never heard anything about it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Timby posted:

The general moviegoing public doesn't give a poo poo about that and probably never heard anything about it.

I don’t agree but even if true it contributed to it being dogshit

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zoran posted:

She was busy killing her striking workers with it
Yet she insisted on being right down in the firefight herself for some reason

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Timby posted:

Sort of - it's part of why advertising for Solo didn't start until like a month out.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maz is basically driven by murderous hatred and resentment, like most capitalists. Still lolling at eight planets exploding and the rebellion getting decimated and she's still mostly mad about her stupid rear end castle, and possibly secondarily having to pay the workers rebuilding it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why does anyone care the slightest bit about maz

It's like caring about phasma because a famous actress had the role. Who gives a poo poo the characters is a joke

There's 3 characters worth a poo poo in these 3 movies: kylo, that cool stormtrooper that yells traitor, and Luke

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 22, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm hoping RLM's prediction episode was correct and the emperor controls a bunch of evil ewoks now.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Why does anyone care the slightest bit about maz

It's like caring about phasma because a famous actress had the role. Who gives a poo poo the characters is a joke

There's nothing to care about in the movies in general because they were horribly botched, might as well ruminate on the compounding absurdity of the insane decisions of everyone involved

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

There's nothing to care about in the movies in general because they were horribly botched, might as well ruminate on the compounding absurdity of the insane decisions of everyone involved

Release the rogue one cut where jyn was a terrorist in the desert for a decade instead of being hastily rewritten to just not existing for a while

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Release the rogue one cut where jyn was a terrorist in the desert for a decade instead of being hastily rewritten to just not existing for a while

I loved Rogue One, but I want the movie we were shown in the trailers.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LinkesAuge posted:

Meh, even the music shows the problems this trilogy has, it's serviceable but mostly an OT remix, no originality. Rey's theme is decent but overall it doesn't come close to the OT and even the prequel's clearly win out in this area (Duel of the Fates is up there with William's best and the only other iconic one outside the OT).

It's stunningly devoid of creativity. What was the last bit of NEW star war music that wasn't just rehashed or boring poo poo? Duel of the Fates?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AlternateAccount posted:

It's stunningly devoid of creativity. What was the last bit of NEW star war music that wasn't just rehashed or boring poo poo? Duel of the Fates?

Across the Stars.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Chuka Umana posted:

What the gently caress is with the horses? There are horses in Star Wars?
Bless your heart

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Timby posted:

Across the Stars.

I honestly am not sure if you're right or if it's just been used in every possible context in every possible bit of star wars media so much that it's worn into a comfy little cowpath in our brains.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

AlternateAccount posted:

I honestly am not sure if you're right or if it's just been used in every possible context in every possible bit of star wars media so much that it's worn into a comfy little cowpath in our brains.

He's right. Notable new prequel theme was also Battle of Heroes in ROTS, but I'm not a fan of that one. ROTS also had a General Grievous theme for some reason. In addition to Duel of the Fates, TPM had Anakin's theme and Trade Federation theme. I think they work well within the movie. There are probably more prequel specific themes, but these are the ones I remember of the top of my head.

I think TPM actually has the most distinctive score of the prequels in my opinion with lots of memorable (if brief) new themes.

Captain Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 22, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hazo posted:

Bless your heart

Was the EU just some loving Wild West where writers could do absolutely whatever the gently caress they wanted?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They pretty much had carte blanche as long as they weren't dealing with movie characters, who mostly had to be kept in stasis. This is why it was mostly horribly embarrassing but at times rose to the level of slightly interesting, once they had made and moved past all the mistakes disney is currently systematically repeating

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They pretty much had carte blanche as long as they weren't dealing with movie characters, who mostly had to be kept in stasis. This is why it was mostly horribly embarrassing but at times rose to the level of slightly interesting, once they had made and moved past all the mistakes disney is currently systematically repeating
What about that time Luke fell in love with a computer

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wedge's GF was a bird

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

FlamingLiberal posted:

What about that time Luke fell in love with a computer

I thought he fell in love with space Black Widow who did the Emperor's dirty work but was too naive to realize the Empire was evil. And also maintained that the Empire had good points long after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Someone had sex with an otter. Not the same otter that Han had to punch. I don't think.