Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

ShaneB posted:

You have mentioned this a few times I think, do you have a pioneer list you like or just thinking it's going to be great?

Some people on Twitter are already excitedly posting about it, but so far they fall into two categories: 1) basically Bant Spirits where the only green is for Coco, and 2) similar to the former, but also with Oko :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

InterrupterJones posted:

Some people on Twitter are already excitedly posting about it, but so far they fall into two categories: 1) basically Bant Spirits where the only green is for Coco, and 2) similar to the former, but also with Oko :v:

Bant Coko

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

InterrupterJones posted:

1) basically Bant Spirits where the only green is for Coco

Nice, another deck that'll cost me next to nothing to put together.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

InterrupterJones posted:

Okococo?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Nice, another deck that'll cost me next to nothing to put together.

If you've got the Okos in paper, then yeah it's pretty easy. Otherwise, I have everything besides those, and hosed if I'm shelling out +$250 for a playset of those.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just an FYI, there is a pioneer filter in Scryfall now.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
looking forward to people casting veil of summer in response to spell queller and being extremely disappointed

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jabor posted:

That's not how Doom Foretold works.

Oceanbound posted:

Really not sure how they could play that deck and not figure that out

:downs:

You're right, it can't be a food token. In my defense, I'm still learning how the deck works, but I feel like an idiot right now. :shobon:

I want to give the deck another try tonight because I held back Doom Foretold against Oko since I didn't realize you couldn't sac tokens in response to it. It might be even better than I thought.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

axeil posted:

You're right, it can't be a food token. In my defense, I'm still learning how the deck works, but I feel like an idiot right now. :shobon:

I want to give the deck another try tonight because I held back Doom Foretold against Oko since I didn't realize you couldn't sac tokens in response to it. It might be even better than I thought.

While you're learning how to play Doom Foretold, please don't be the person who thinks they get to draw a card etc. if they have to sacrifice their own Doom Foretold.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

axeil posted:

We've all made that mistake. Doom Foretold is very good.

As always, RTFC.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Katana Gomai posted:

While you're learning how to play Doom Foretold, please don't be the person who thinks they get to draw a card etc. if they have to sacrifice their own Doom Foretold.

Are there any instant speed sac outlets that can sacrifice it for value or do you have to use enchantment removal while the trigger is on the stack to get the draw

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

Thankfully I do know that if you are forced to sac Doom Foretold you get none of the goodies.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterrupterJones posted:

If you've got the Okos in paper, then yeah it's pretty easy. Otherwise, I have everything besides those, and hosed if I'm shelling out +$250 for a playset of those.

I think you can run it sans Oko. He's not exactly on plan for a flash creatures deck, despite being an incredible value. I'm just wondering if golden goose if really the way to go vs. a green only mana dork. $20 for dorks feels incredibly bad.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think the deck Im most interested in for Pioneer is Aetherworks Marvel as it has the potential to be the birthing pod of the format. Plus the ability to abuse energy for better mana fixing than anyone else is very appealing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Marvel will be the Tron of the format (assuming it doesn't get banned), you heard it here first.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

rkajdi posted:

I think you can run it sans Oko. He's not exactly on plan for a flash creatures deck, despite being an incredible value. I'm just wondering if golden goose if really the way to go vs. a green only mana dork. $20 for dorks feels incredibly bad.

If you're running more green, like Voice of Resurgence, then Llanowar Elves is probably acceptable. Otherwise, for multiple colors it's either Goose or Sylvan Caryatid. If you're willing to run Fabled Passage, then you could arguably add DRS with little drawback.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Marvel will be the Tron of the format (assuming it doesn't get banned), you heard it here first.

It might survive since Marvel itself gets blanked pretty hard by Oko, though I think you can protect it by not casting it until you can activate it that turn. Idk its interesting and I want to see how it plays out in practice, Marvel decks never had to deal with the likes of Abrade or even Pithing Needle but at the same time its ceiling is so high and the ability to have a normal midrange shell built around it might mitigate that somewhat.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

It might survive since Marvel itself gets blanked pretty hard by Oko, though I think you can protect it by not casting it until you can activate it that turn. Idk its interesting and I want to see how it plays out in practice, Marvel decks never had to deal with the likes of Abrade or even Pithing Needle but at the same time its ceiling is so high and the ability to have a normal midrange shell built around it might mitigate that somewhat.

None of those cards matter when you rip one off the top. Marvel is more akin to tron in that way, since you can topdeck and activate. It may be more manageable with some of the hate around but only white has access to stuff like sun cleanser and solemnity for the board. Teferi3 should stop it I believe? No way it's not on top of their watchlist though.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterrupterJones posted:

If you're running more green, like Voice of Resurgence, then Llanowar Elves is probably acceptable. Otherwise, for multiple colors it's either Goose or Sylvan Caryatid. If you're willing to run Fabled Passage, then you could arguably add DRS with little drawback.

The only green I'm going with is a dork and coco right now. So I guess it's time to get some geese. I have a foil watery grave to trade in, so I guess I should be able to get some for minimal cash right now. But gently caress buying Oko at all given his $60 tag.

Still trying to figure out how to jam FoD into maze's end. All the gate payoffs are around, and some zombie might give enough time to get the rest of the lands together. It's dumb, but alt win conditions are my catnip. My main worry is quest beast, but I think the deck has enough board wipes on top of the fog to win out.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The hot store with great prize support is running pioneer Thursday night. I’m going to play green stompy.

Here’s my sideboard so far:

4 feed the clans. I’m sure there’s gonna be burn for the first few weeks

2 scavenging ooze

2 shapers sanctuary. So I get something when they zap my creatures

3 veil of summer

2 back to nature. For enchantments I guess?

2 witchstalkers. 3/3 hex proof that gets bigger against u/b

Should I put in natural states? I figure smugglers copter is gonna be a problem until the first ban. Any suggestions from anyone?

I’m running 4 bramblecrush main deck. Being able to kill a plainswalker on a creeping mold seems so ungreen

The American Dream fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 22, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Fingers McLongDong posted:

None of those cards matter when you rip one off the top. Marvel is more akin to tron in that way, since you can topdeck and activate. It may be more manageable with some of the hate around but only white has access to stuff like sun cleanser and solemnity for the board. Teferi3 should stop it I believe? No way it's not on top of their watchlist though.

Pithing needle definitely matters and I hadnt even considered Teferi. Still though it probably still works.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

InterrupterJones posted:

Shortly after the WOTC announcement Arena Decklists had a Twitter accounnt up and running for people to tag their lists on, and it is more or less continually getting updated with deck ideas

https://twitter.com/PioneerDLs

People on twitch were battling on mtgo in the free form practice rooms almost immediately after the announcement too.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It's kinda hilarious how different the reaction to Pioneer and Frontier has been.

Obviously this is in part because one is an actual format with tournament support and not a grift to sell unused copies of Jace, Vryn's Prodigy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cactrot posted:

Obviously this is in part because one is an actual format with tournament support and not a grift to sell unused copies of Jace, Vryn's Prodigy.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Here's a hot take: I will enjoy brewing and playing proxed decks with friends until the first two or so ban waves, then buy into the format if it's still alive. Buying any cards right now seems downright idiotic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Pioneer does seem like the format a lot of people want modern to be (not just cost but power level). I'm pretty optimistic about the format.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Katana Gomai posted:

Here's a hot take: I will enjoy brewing and playing proxed decks with friends until the first two or so ban waves, then buy into the format if it's still alive. Buying any cards right now seems downright idiotic.

I remember not being able to sell any of this poo poo. I think my collection has gone up nearly 1k in a day. poo poo is nuts.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Played a whole bunch of Pioneer games last night on MTGO in the Constructed Freeform room, and Aetherworks Marvel is going to get banned.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cactrot posted:

It's kinda hilarious how different the reaction to Pioneer and Frontier has been.

Frontier was never like actually announced by WOTC. Frontier was essentially a (large) LGS saying "we have this idea for a format!" and Pioneer is an immediate high-level tournament format with hard and fast rules and a WOTC track record of keeping formats in relative check through official banlists. Stands to reason, to me, that people would bite hard onto the concept.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

Frontier was never like actually announced by WOTC. Frontier was essentially a (large) LGS saying "we have this idea for a format!" and Pioneer is an immediate high-level tournament format with hard and fast rules and a WOTC track record of keeping formats in relative check through official banlists. Stands to reason, to me, that people would bite hard onto the concept.

To put things in perspective, a subreddit that was made Sunday night how has 2.2k members and 34k in unique hits with little to no effort. People want to talk about and play pioneer. Its insane.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'll admit that I was a little cold on the idea of the format when it was first announced, but I have some janky pet cards from bad standard decks that I wanna dust off again.

Riddleform, Insult // Injury, you're back on deck.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

another loser posted:

Played a whole bunch of Pioneer games last night on MTGO in the Constructed Freeform room, and Aetherworks Marvel is going to get banned.

I haven’t been impressed with it or against it. Maybe I’m playing the right interaction and the wrong build though.

So far monored (maybe a splash) has been the scariest, not surprising for a new format. There are a lot of very good red decks across those standards.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 22, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

Pioneer does seem like the format a lot of people want modern to be (not just cost but power level). I'm pretty optimistic about the format.

Pioneer’s power level is not that much less than Modern tbh and the answers are much much worse

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Katana Gomai posted:

As someone who spent over $100 on Pioneer stuff last night, honestly this. See what you can build from your collection and start from there. I think Pioneer is going to be my home for a bunch of decks that I wanted to sleeve up in Modern but never actually did, like Saheeli Combo or BUG Reclamation.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I haven’t been impressed with it or against it. Maybe I’m playing the right interaction and the wrong build though.

So far monored (maybe a splash) has been the scariest, not surprising for a new format. There are a lot of very good red decks across those standards.

Ya, maybe just my experience. I played a lot last night and ran into zero red decks, which I thought was strange.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

another loser posted:

Ya, maybe just my experience. I played a lot last night and ran into zero red decks, which I thought was strange.

If I had a paper tournament tomorrow I'd play juiced up Ramunap Red and farm all the jank brews, but if I were testing on an online platform for zero stakes, I'd play some spicy jank deck instead because why wouldn't you?!

The First PTQ will be taken down by Mono Red or Marvel.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
shame there's no innistrad included for lingering souls and intangible virtue in pioneer

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ilmucche posted:

shame there's no innistrad included for lingering souls and intangible virtue in pioneer

I think there are too many decks that look too similar to their modern versions if they include original Inninstrad. In particular, spirits and humans lose very little at that point. Also, it would mean delver, snapcaster, geist of st traft and treasure cruise would all be legal together, lol. Although to be fair, treasure cruise is going to be banned after the first tournament.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think it could be kind of fun if modern was a modern, controlled environment and pioneer ends up being a real wild west, almost more frontier like environment. Really looking forward to watching this metagame shake out for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ilmucche posted:

I'd love to play Black Devotion again, but Red will have to do.