Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean aside from all the heroes that have Quirks that should be mediocre or worthless but manage to turn them into something that makes them the best heroes around? A big part of MHA is there's more than just raw strength to being a hero. Deku's path is not the only one taken, and even in his case it's more about controlling it rather than "get buff, punch dudes".

One thing I really appreciated in the movie was the writers sidelined like half of the class for just brief cutaway gags rather than trying to force them into every scene. It kept things much better paced.

I'm talking about the general focus on like, tournament arcs and competition between heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mha is okay but not spectacular.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dr. stone has been a bit disappointing because it has a heavy focus on shonenizing science but then gets the science wrong

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

More like meh, heroes all right

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ultimately what makes a work great or not is likely to be incredibly specific and personal tbh

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I really should get around to watching and/or reading MHA. I liked the American version.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Yardbomb posted:

But at the same time, Valentine actually has things going for him as an antagonist, he actually has some charisma, he's actually chiseled and good looking.

I'm not looking forward to whenever Part 7 is animated because of all the idiotic "Valentine did nothing wrong!!!" takes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm not looking forward to whenever Part 7 is animated because of all the idiotic "Valentine did nothing wrong!!!" takes.

Yes, okay, but consider: gyro's pizza song animated

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

dr. stone has been a bit disappointing because it has a heavy focus on shonenizing science but then gets the science wrong

It's also Boichi's most meh work.

Also since we're all talking about anime, here's a thing that's been going on in Japan the past few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzIPhntXEuA

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Given the current topic of this thread, I thought it would be cool to spotlight two anime YouTube channels that seem pretty good: the works of Zeria and thePedanticRomantic, a queer couple that does really good work on queer anime. thePedanticRomantic has an hour-long retrospective on Wandering Son, a rather famous anime with trans main characters, and Zeria has a video on anime, the Alt Right, and Leftists, but all the videos I've seen from them have been pretty good.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
If anyone is looking for some old school and kinda overlooked Satoshi Kon, look up Magnetic Rose from the compilation Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories. The other two shorts, to be frank, aren't particularly great, but it's Kon's first writing credit iirc and one hell of a watch if you can find a non-horrible copy of it. Bonus: music by Yoko Kanno.

AstroWhale posted:

Currently watching Paranoia Agent, on episode 3, to watch Super Eyepatch Wolf's video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVagWJhvVbM
I hope it stays good. I loving love his cuts, like Every Frame A Painting describes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE
This is his best essay, fight me.

Episode 8 is... yeah, an amazing episode but some serious dark humour.

Archer666 posted:

Honestly, the Black Lagoon dub is better than the original Japanese version. A rare thing but it happens.

Ranma 1/2 stuck out as well - comedy generally suits dubs well because the sub typically ruins the comedic timing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

YaketySass posted:

Good thread.

e: Also good post approaching the subject from another angle, not sure if it's been posted:

https://anarchasteminist.wordpress.com/2019/10/21/the-fault-in-our-star-system-the-trouble-with-breadtube/

Both this essay and the twitter thread are correct that the only way to have a movement is to build one yourself and that you can’t look to big names to do it for you. Both of them though put their resentment in a weird place, as there is no such thing as “breadtube” except in the minds of the people watching, nor any deliberate attempt by anyone discussed to build or deliver anything except fun videos. The expectations these authors feel have not been met are entirely things they themselves bring to the experience of watching youtube videos.

It feels perverse to criticize people for not doing what you expect them to do or to say they’re doing a political project the wrong way when they’re just atomized individuals who got into making videos without any particular goal. They made friends because they were lonely. They didn’t have a plan because there was no reason for a plan. They’re the first video critics to ever exist, and none of them planned on being that. All these measures that find hbomberguy or whoever lacking come from expectations brought to an entirely ad hoc project that never intended anything in particular.

So it’s correct that people shouldn’t expect a coherent political project from posters on the internet, but it’s also perverse and cruel to fault them for not delivering one rather than faulting yourself (not you as in the op or any specific poster here) for expecting one.

They’re just people. Evaluate them with the same generosity you would grant yourself. Honestly, I don’t think they should have any accountability to the “fans” or audience at all, morally speaking. They’re as free as I am to do whatever they feel, because all expectations are external to whatever project they’re embarking on and are calculated without full understanding of what they have to endure to make videos.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Do Japanese people argue over King of the Hill and The Simpsons on whether dubs are allowed or if a real connoisseur must learn English in order to fully appreciate them?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They’re just people. Evaluate them with the same generosity you would grant yourself.

I would venture that this may be the issue. Leftists, especially queer leftists, often do have to cut off friends and family to some degree. Not from some purity standard, but because someone you thought you knew will say horrible things about people without ever knowing you are those people. You can try to educate, sometimes it works, but when it doesn’t... it’s time to sever.

So seeing what appears to be that very pattern to an outsider end without that becomes confusing, which spawns conspiratorial thinking.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Archer666 posted:

It's also Boichi's most meh work.

Also since we're all talking about anime, here's a thing that's been going on in Japan the past few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzIPhntXEuA
That video isnt a real thing. One foreigner said the ad was dumb and tagged it #metoo and a bunch of japanese people replied variations of 'i can kinda see disliking a big titty red cross ad but if it brings in blood donations that seems like its worth it?'

Theres no mass outrage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Eschenique posted:

Do Japanese people argue over King of the Hill and The Simpsons on whether dubs are allowed or if a real connoisseur must learn English in order to fully appreciate them?

Subs all the way

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Eschenique posted:

God I hope so. Real human connection there.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Senerio posted:

I really should get around to watching and/or reading MHA. I liked the American version.

Fascist as heck.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Eschenique posted:

They do indeed.

There was also a fascinating twitter thread a few months back about French dubs of the Simpsons. Long story short, everyone enjoys the Quebecois dubs a lot more.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Bug Squash posted:

They do indeed.

There was also a fascinating twitter thread a few months back about French dubs of the Simpsons. Long story short, everyone enjoys the Quebecois dubs a lot more.

I don't. But then, a Quebecois accent just makes me descend into a frothing rage, I can't help it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It feels perverse to criticize people for not doing what you expect them to do or to say they’re doing a political project the wrong way when they’re just atomized individuals who got into making videos without any particular goal. They made friends because they were lonely. They didn’t have a plan because there was no reason for a plan. They’re the first video critics to ever exist, and none of them planned on being that. All these measures that find hbomberguy or whoever lacking come from expectations brought to an entirely ad hoc project that never intended anything in particuladr.
Doesnt making tons of money on patreon and doing intervies with big news sites imply that youre taking on importance and responsibility tho

Isnt it reasonable to be frustrated that someone whos profited off being labeled 'the woke transwoman who deconverts extremists' consistently has lovely opinions and attitudes about a minority group

Like i dont care if contras friends stay her friends but the fact that none of them can just straightforwardly say 'buck angel sucks' is stupid, and contra herself is a dipshit. Iunno if it needs to be more complicated than that on either side

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eschenique posted:

Koth actually has a fairly large japanese fanbase, and yes they argue about whether or not the jp dub is good. People are people.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Eschenique posted:

Yes, there are full on dub/sub arguments within the Japanese fan base for koth, among other shows.

From what I've listened to of the Japanese dub though they really did try to localize it well. Even Boomhauer.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I2E1qqNLPQ

They localize Hank’s bwahhh.

bobjr fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 22, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The episode with Hank's secret brother being a Japanese salaryman must be a trip.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Endorph posted:

Doesnt making tons of money on patreon and doing intervies with big news sites imply that youre taking on importance and responsibility tho

No, it means you're trying to survive having a job

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

No, it means you're trying to survive having a job
sos the guy making mcdonalds hamburgers but if he serves me a live rat im gonna say 'hey this is a rat not a cheeseburger.' if you're selling the idea of having progressive politics then people can go 'hey this sucks' if your politics are not actually progressive, or have an obvious blindspot.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

From what I've heard they have Boomhauer just talking normally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YaketySass posted:

The episode with Hank's secret brother being a Japanese salaryman must be a trip.
From what I've seen they just roll with stuff like that. Like the scene where Hank talks about how americans smoke cigarettes, he just goes 'smoke cigarettes like an american,' in Japanese. Which seems like a better choice than trying to pretend it somehow takes place in Japan.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Endorph posted:

Which seems like a better choice than trying to pretend it somehow takes place in Japan.

That'd be a headache. The idea of trying to apply the "eat your hamburgers, Apollo" treatment to KotH sounds hilarious.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dabir posted:

From what I've heard they have Boomhauer just talking normally.
He has an accent and weird cadence, but it's not as dramatic a difference as his English actor. I dunno how you'd accurately replicate it in Japanese, but there was an effort made.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

YaketySass posted:

That'd be a headache. The idea of trying to apply the "eat your hamburgers, Apollo" treatment to KotH sounds hilarious.

this is true but also it would own

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

YaketySass posted:

Peggy Hill's famous Peggy-Soba looks a lot like a fuckin pastry!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

grittyreboot posted:

I'm the complete opposite where I'll see and enjoy the movie and completely ignore any online discussion for the sake of my own sanity

I wish I'd done that.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

He has an accent and weird cadence, but it's not as dramatic a difference as his English actor. I dunno how you'd accurately replicate it in Japanese, but there was an effort made.

You can 100% replicate boomhauer with some completely impenetrable kansaiben

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I imagine Japanese boomhauer would sound like that video of the Asian guy shouting gibberish with a redneck accent.

The Japanese dub for the Simpsons is dead on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r_O-Zp_WP4

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Huh. The actress who plays Bart also dubbed Jerry from Tom and Jerry and Gary Coleman's Arnold from Diff'rent Strokes.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

They’re just people. Evaluate them with the same generosity you would grant yourself. Honestly, I don’t think they should have any accountability to the “fans” or audience at all, morally speaking. They’re as free as I am to do whatever they feel, because all expectations are external to whatever project they’re embarking on and are calculated without full understanding of what they have to endure to make videos.

I mean if call myself poo poo if I promoted someone like buck so even if I follow this argument it's not the defence you think it is.

And again these aren't just them being friends it's literal cross promotion and raising each others voices.

Edit: to be clear while I think Lindsay's response was bad, it's why more of my criticism is levelled at Olly, he's participatory.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 22, 2019

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I heard the problem with French Simpsons dub was they gave everyone an upper class Parisian accent which doesn't really work. But the Canadian dub mixes accents from working class to upper class where appropriate so it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

The whole Contragate thing totally ended with breadtube throwing NB people under the bus and several notable bread tubers failing to even imply support.