Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

At least with the Quebec separation, I could find some flimsy grounds for it but wexit is simply "we don't like the way the rest of the country voted so gently caress you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Alctel posted:

Climate change was THE issue this election, the CPC lost because they completely ignored it and the liberals absolutely noticed - look at the change in their messaging. The liberals climate change policies are also not that bad

They bought a pipeline

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Monaghan posted:

At least with the Quebec separation, I could find some flimsy grounds for it but wexit is simply "we don't like the way the rest of the country voted so gently caress you."

#Wexit is the antebellum secessionists of Canada.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Argas posted:

They bought a pipeline

I'm interested if the liberals will keep trying to win over alberta votes by doing poo poo like this or just cutting their losses and going gently caress it.

If they do the former, they're a bunch of morons.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Holy crap the formatting in that article is atrocious

Everything he writes is like that.

It's horrible.

Not many authors are esthetically horrid.

But he is.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The rest of Canada: "... and where exactly is Saskatchewan again? I thought it was the imaginary place where Corner Gas took place."

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

What more could the liberals actually lose if they scrapped Trans Canada in terms of support. Everyone pro pipeline already voted against them.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Also "wexit" is a portmanteau of "wiener exit"

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

just another posted:

It might not help but I expect that would depress turnout more often than it would flip votes. Fair enough, that matters too. I just don't believe there are many "I'd be voting Conservative but for Climate Change" people out there.

That's half the support for the green party in BC

Mays riding was a conservative one. It's a way bigger number of people than you'd think

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wexit is hilarious cause half the territory of both provinces would end up staying in Canada because of the treaties, or at best be tied up in court for 40 years and then Jason Kenney would at least be dead in an open crypt outside the saddledome.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Argas posted:

They bought a pipeline

Yeah and it cost them Quebec and gained 0 votes

I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped it to be honest

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Monaghan posted:

I'm interested if the liberals will keep trying to win over alberta votes by doing poo poo like this or just cutting their losses and going gently caress it.

I mean I always suspected that the TM buy wasn't about Alberta, but more about saving investors in K-M.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

mashed_penguin posted:

What more could the liberals actually lose if they scrapped Trans Canada in terms of support. Everyone pro pipeline already voted against them.

Their actual constituency are the board rooms of corporate Canada so they'll do the bare minimum to maintain public support and then use that as license to continue business as usual.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Helsing posted:

Their actual constituency are the board rooms of corporate Canada so they'll do the bare minimum to maintain public support and then use that as license to continue business as usual.

Sounds legit.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Helsing posted:

Libs gonna lib.

Like, I understand posters being glad the Cons most likely won't form government and that the PPC got toasted, but Libs gonna lib.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
This is what people from Alberta think, pulled from a calgary forum

some person posted:

Perhaps, the only way to counterbalance Eastern dominance on Canadian politics is through amalgamation of provinces. Amalgamate with Saskatchewan, NWT and Yukon. Isolate BC from access to the rest of Canada. Then either get a fair treatment or separate.

You can't have a rational debate or conversation with that lmao

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Alctel posted:

That's half the support for the green party in BC

Mays riding was a conservative one. It's a way bigger number of people than you'd think
I'd love to be wrong, so here's hoping.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Anyone have any insight as to why the Cons in non-Anglo suburban/exurban Montreal get about as many votes as the Marxist-Leninist party, and the Cons in suburban/exurban Quebec City win in landslides?

I have family in both areas, and their communities, lives, and views seem identical to me.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

cowofwar posted:

What’s up with Nenshi whining about someone else needing to diversify Alberta’s economy? That’s like your own job bud. Plus all of their research institutions are already funded by federal tri-council grants. They say they want a diversified economy but if that was so they would’ve built upgraders and refineries or got in to any of the alternative energy generation fields.

Canada is a lazy country lacking innovation but the onus is on each province to manage their own economies.

I mean he can and has tried but he's just mayor up against the UCP cutting his budget and having to placate a not-small portion of fuckward white F150 drivers (because they keep voting in dipshit city councilors who have about as much voting power as Nenshi himself does)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, at this point it feels like the only way to get anything done in the midwest is to go full undemocratic authoritarian, which is just lmao.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

This is what one single person from Alberta thinks, if we did a marbles in a bag from the average CanPol thread and pulled out some of the more colourful posters as representative there’s a good chance we’d all look like loving loons

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

half cocaine posted:

Since everyone ~voted strategically~ to keep Scheer our of office, Prime Minstrel SNC Aladdin and his Merry band of corrupt idiots will happily drift further right to placate the drooling chuds in the West.

Mission accomplished. The natural ruling party of Canada is ruling more naturally than ever.

The vast majority of voters don't vote strategically.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mashed_penguin posted:

Lol #wexit is blowing up on twitter. So many loving tears.
They're mad because Scheerless Tuesday was trending all morning.

Do it ironically posted:

I was on a conference call a few minutes ago and some guys from Saskatchewan were on and someone jokingly asked them about wexit. We got a 5 minute rant about how eastern elites and that Moe, Kenney, and Brett Wilson are trying to revive the Buffalo Party which was a political party around the time the borders for the prairies were being drawn. Like the post above, they said that the west doesn't want to separate, rather they just want to redraw the borders of the western provinces so their votes can matter in an election and their voices can be heard in parliament.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 22, 2019

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is what one single person from Alberta thinks, if we did a marbles in a bag from the average CanPol thread and pulled out some of the more colourful posters as representative there’s a good chance we’d all look like loving loons

I can assure you more than one person thinks this and that "#wexit" has a more than a non-significant following

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Well that sure was an election we just had. Congrats to bunnyofdoom, Nine of Eight and Risky Bisquick and Development. prom candy, your wife can rest easy knowing today is not the day you buy an F-150.

A special shout out to stickarts for getting his very specific triple toxx correct.

One last piece of unfinished business remains however, the question of how to interpret this little gem:

just another posted:

Yeah, sure.

This whole thing will have zero measurable effect on the election results :toxx:

:siren:

In celebration of our wonderful free and fair elections I've decided to let the people decide if this toxx succeeded or failed. So between now and the end of the next page I welcome anyone who feels like it to vote on whether just another here failed or passed his toxx clause and I shall merely enact the will of the people.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Can we not go put out their next wildfire and just let it all burn? They can wexit it out with their collective delusions of being able to referendum their way out of confederation

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I say it had an effect but it perhaps is not measurable

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Helsing posted:

In celebration of our wonderful free and fair elections I've decided to let the people decide if this toxx succeeded or failed. So between now and the end of the next page I welcome anyone who feels like it to vote on whether just another here failed or passed his toxx clause and I shall merely enact the will of the people.

I will vote that he passed it, but in the spirit of the new parliament I first need the promise of a new international airport somewhere in rural Quebec.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i think that's a pretty clear toxx pass

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Given how little the liberals polling moved nationally during the election campaign I vote for no measurable effect.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Can we not go put out their next wildfire and just let it all burn? They can wexit it out with their collective delusions of being able to referendum their way out of confederation

Is this before or after we watch BC and Ontario Fentanyl and Ford themselves out of existence?

Helsing posted:

Well that sure was an election we just had. Congrats to bunnyofdoom, Nine of Eight and Risky Bisquick and Development. prom candy, your wife can rest easy knowing today is not the day you buy an F-150.

A special shout out to stickarts for getting his very specific triple toxx correct.

One last piece of unfinished business remains however, the question of how to interpret this little gem:

Disappointingly, they were in fact correct because that sure wasn’t the impetus for votes to switch to Bloc or the Cons (and NDP didn’t pick up any of it apparently :v:).

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Okay, I hate to be the gambling stickler but I'm not seeing how the third part was correct.

quote:

Maxime Bernier will also lose his seat because Rhino Party Maxime Bernier took a number of votes greater than the difference PPC Bernier lost by.

Leader: 22,817 votes
PPC Bernier: 16,772 votes
Rhino Bernier: 1,072 votes

Rhino Bernier got 1,072 votes which is not greater than the number of votes PPC Bernier lost by (6,045 votes)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

still laughing at how my city hosed themselves by voting out Ralph Goodale and replaced him with some nameless conservative rear end in a top hat. Ralph was a highly ranked cabinet member and had a history of getting federal funds for some poo poo in Regina, but no, gotta own the liberals.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao scheer says he's staying and will contest the next election as leader so here come the knives and the conservatives being completely ineffective as an opposition for the first while of trudeau's minority

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Helsing posted:

It's fine to assert a result is or will be consistent with the null hypothesis, but he didn't specify a confidence level. Vote failed due to statistical imprecision.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the CPC won more votes in Alberta than in Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, PEI, and Nova Scotia combined

now that's a route to a majority next time around andrew :thumbsup:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Helsing posted:

You need me, CanPol thread! :argh:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

To represent the will of the people Canada-style you should actually offer like five options for what to do with this toxx and decide it by FPTP

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

vyelkin posted:

lmao scheer says he's staying and will contest the next election as leader so here come the knives and the conservatives being completely ineffective as an opposition for the first while of trudeau's minority

Conservative convention says that if a leader loses an election there's an automatic leadership review, so it's not Andy's choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Kale posted:

:lol: at the very idea of Ford even being around Federal Politics in 4 years let alone premier of Ontario for example.

The next federal election will be before the next Ontario election. Which means the federal Tories are going to have to suggest Ford go into hiding again, but by then he'll probably have presided over a teachers' strike and a college strike. Maybe more than that, depending on how hard he decides to piss people off.

Do it ironically posted:

I can assure you more than one person thinks this and that "#wexit" has a more than a non-significant following

The whole Brexit idea and process has been poisoned by the fact that the Tories in Britain refuse to understand that they can't just dictate terms to those silly continentals/Irish/whomever. Wexit would feature a bloc with even less relative power and apparently more hubris. British Columbia isn't going to be held hostage any more than Ireland.