Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, if you don’t buy it, you have the satisfaction of not giving royal piece of poo poo Randy Pitchford money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

I would've bought it at $20 or less, but I've already spent a ton on BL2 and the expansions, so no thanks at this price.

Steam sale it is, I guess.

If it's any consolation the reviews seem to universally think it's a horrendous VR conversion right now.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

solo borderlands? what's even the point

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Blade & Sorcery is so loving cathartic dude, nothing like getting good with the Dane Axe and just liberating people of their limbs left and right when you need to get out some energy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Replaced my 1080 Ti with an RTX 2080 Ti, also replaced my OG Vive and wands with an Index and knuckles (the shipping box straight up still calls them 'knuckles') and let me tell you about the difference: freakin' huge

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KakerMix posted:

Replaced my 1080 Ti with an RTX 2080 Ti, also replaced my OG Vive and wands with an Index and knuckles (the shipping box straight up still calls them 'knuckles') and let me tell you about the difference: freakin' huge

Welcome to the RTX Gang. Heres you're gun and badge.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

KakerMix posted:

I've got a 1080 Ti, stop making want to spend money!

e: I say in the VR thread like an idiot.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hey everyone ALVR is fuckin' fantastic, absolutely flawless, except I have to disconnect my modem otherwise I get FPS drops and buffering issues which makes no sense, apparently my PC or Quest are doing something on the internet they shouldn't be doing. My internet went out last night for several hours, and ALVR worked absolutely perfectly and now that I have a taste for that sweet sweet wireless H3VR with zero tracking, buffering, latency or FPS issues I can't go back to wired.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

Hey everyone ALVR is fuckin' fantastic, absolutely flawless, except I have to disconnect my modem otherwise I get FPS drops and buffering issues which makes no sense, apparently my PC or Quest are doing something on the internet they shouldn't be doing. My internet went out last night for several hours, and ALVR worked absolutely perfectly and now that I have a taste for that sweet sweet wireless H3VR with zero tracking, buffering, latency or FPS issues I can't go back to wired.

I heard virtual desktop is even better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KakerMix posted:

Make sure you check out quake 2 RTX

Just cuz

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BMan posted:

solo borderlands? what's even the point
Exploring the world in VR would be fun. I almost certainly wouldn't try to do everything like I did in the base game, but I could definitely see getting a week or two out of playing through the main campaign and the best of the rest for an hour or two a night before I got tired.

I don't know about you, but in Payday and Standout I found that my VR playstyle was a lot different from the way I play flat screen, mostly owing to the ability to reach a gun around a corner or out from cover without having to expose my head and ability to aim at multiple things when dual wielding. I think that and just the different experience of actually being surrounded by the world would be worth $20-25 to me even without multiplayer.

That said of course, that's also why the lack of multiplayer is such a disappointment. Could you imagine some of those raid boss fights where the enemies are actually all around you?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Are there any guides for benchmarking Virtual Desktop performance for Quest? Want to know what sort of latency I'm getting.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

Are there any guides for benchmarking Virtual Desktop performance for Quest? Want to know what sort of latency I'm getting.

You can see the latency in the streamer app on your pc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

wolrah posted:

Exploring the world in VR would be fun. I almost certainly wouldn't try to do everything like I did in the base game, but I could definitely see getting a week or two out of playing through the main campaign and the best of the rest for an hour or two a night before I got tired.

I don't know about you, but in Payday and Standout I found that my VR playstyle was a lot different from the way I play flat screen, mostly owing to the ability to reach a gun around a corner or out from cover without having to expose my head and ability to aim at multiple things when dual wielding. I think that and just the different experience of actually being surrounded by the world would be worth $20-25 to me even without multiplayer.

That said of course, that's also why the lack of multiplayer is such a disappointment. Could you imagine some of those raid boss fights where the enemies are actually all around you?

You can't dual wield in Borderlands outside of one super ability though, right? So there goes that.

The gunfeel is just so bad in borderlands and the enemies are such a slog of bullet sponges, I dunno. I think Doom VFR or Payday would be better than Borderlands VR in every way, but of course I'm not going to shell out $40 to find out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like fallout new Vegas (which is just steam punk Skyrim?) is $3 through the end of the week. Is there any worthwhile VR support for FO:NV

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hadlock posted:

Looks like fallout new Vegas (which is just steam punk Skyrim?) is $3 through the end of the week. Is there any worthwhile VR support for FO:NV

Since Fallout 4 VR is apparently a train wreck, I wouldn't put much hope in FO:NV being usable in VR.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Nah. You'd have to use hacks like VorpX because you don't get low level renderer access in Skyrim/Fallout mods. It'd be a huge undertaking to try to make it work well.

And considering Fallout 4 VR doesn't even work perfect and it has official support...

but don't take my word for it!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6t9gmu

(Video is titled "Fallout: New Vegas VR Is An Absolute Nightmare - This Is Why" )

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Got my Quest this afternoon.

The whole family loves it and I don't know how we're not going to murder each other over play time on it.

I did the Wal-Mart with the 90 day return window and when I picked it up the dude said the quest has been selling like crazy at our small town walmart. Has oculus released any sales numbers?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spacetoaster posted:

The whole family loves it and I don't know how we're not going to murder each other over play time on it.

I did the Wal-Mart with the 90 day return window and when I picked it up the dude said the quest has been selling like crazy at our small town walmart. Has oculus released any sales numbers?

sounds like you need the game linked above where its 8 vs the dude in VR. Make it reality where if you have the hat on everyone is out to get you :v:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I finally got Blade & Sorcery. Holy crap. The level of presence the physics simulation provides is amazing, I haven't had that wow sensation from VR for ages.

Even just being in the rooms with the practice weapons and stuff at the beginning. The first thing I did (obviously) was go up to the mirror you're facing when you load the game. Put my hand up to touch it and the in-game hand just naturally makes contact with the object, catches on the frame of the mirror etc. in exactly the way you'd expect. Even just scraping my hand down the surface of the mirror made it feel like that object was actually there in front of me.

Then loving around with the weapons, one thing that really got me was using the little rapier and just lifting up the practice dummy's head with the thing - somehow due to the feeling of weight everything has in the game and the need to really push in order to move stuff, it genuinely felt like I was pushing against this virtual object.

This should be the default for any game that wants players to feel like they're actually present in the virtual world.

My only issue with the game is that the actual combat is limit due to the AI. I'm really impressed with what the dev has done with the enemies so far but their attacks are just rubbish and not well-designed from a gameplay perspective. A lot of the attacks just seem to be 'run forwards and flail at player from multiple directions', especially the twirling attacks, so there's no real parry-repost 'dual' gameplay.

Also it seems impossible to 'beat' the enemy weapons properly. I don't seem to be able to make their weapons move at all when I hit them; it's like the enemy's arm and wrist are made of concrete. This means that, as far as I can tell, the only way to land an attack on an enemy with a weapon + shield is to charge in bashing at them madly or trying to stab over at their heads, or wait until they've made an attack and leave an open gap.

If the enemies' wrists worked more like the player character's, i.e. there was some level of flexibility so you could beat their weapons out of the way and make a lunge attack, then the fighting might be a bit more dynamic and interesting.

Another issue is that the blocking movements seem to be effectively instantaneous, there is no lag so if you try to attack their weapon will instantly move to meet yours. So you can't do one-two attacks, beating on one side to get them to move their guard and rapidly attacking on the other side when they're exposed.

Anyhow the stuff I'm proposing would be insanely complicated to realise in-game, I'm sure. What there is, is still pretty drat great.

e: does anyone know what the development path looks like for the game? Is the dev planning on making major improvements to AI some day?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

El Grillo posted:

e: does anyone know what the development path looks like for the game? Is the dev planning on making major improvements to AI some day?

Not sure about the AI but I know the current set of animations are just store-bought and are going to be replaced at some point.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Last weekend, I was asked to bring something to game evening with friends. I decided to do some googling to look for alternatives for "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes"(never really found it to work well in a group), and came across a game I had never heard of before: Puppet Fever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPvR0TbyIQ

It's basically charades. The player with the headset gets something he needs to imitate with a number of puppets and tools. The other players can watch using a companion app on Android or iOS what is being acted out. Summed up: It really made the evening and everyone got into it really fast, especially after streaming to the television. None of the other players had done much with VR before, but were able to pick it up really fast after a single demonstration. It works really intuitive, and people understood quickly how to improvise and come up with tricks to play things out.

Most surprising to me: it's for free on the Quest(with additional words for DLC).

Just wanted to share it. I have a feeling it isn't that well known and it really should stand out more.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Wheezle posted:

Not sure about the AI but I know the current set of animations are just store-bought and are going to be replaced at some point.
Ah ok that's interesting, thanks.

Had a look and there's a roadmap on Steam, only mention of AI on it is this though:

Blade & Sorcery posted:

Update 11
- Dungeon
- Improved AI (patrolling, field of view...)
- New weapons

e: nope, turns out the above is just about adding new AI to support dungeons:

The Baron on reddit" posted:

This will add in semi-procedural maps/dungeons to the game with improved ai that are already spawned in the maps patrolling, have a fields of view, etc…. Yes, this is real. No plans for any story mode to go with this though; it will just be random dungeon spelunking. Details of this to be expanded on at a later date of course, because we are still so far out from this. Kospy has some wild ideas about it but as is his nature he prefers to underpromise and overdeliver rather than anyone be disappointed if something he promised doesn’t make it. Doesn’t wanna pull a Molyneux or No Man’s Sky.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 23, 2019

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
So how does one play Oculus exclusive games on quest using Virtual Desktop? Do I really need to go VD -> SteamVR -> Revive -> Game?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

So how does one play Oculus exclusive games on quest using Virtual Desktop? Do I really need to go VD -> SteamVR -> Revive -> Game?

Yyyup. And Revive has performance issues with some games so it's not a perfect solution.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

lunar detritus posted:

Yyyup. And Revive has performance issues with some games so it's not a perfect solution.

Ugh well given all this vr crap is new to me I guess I'll start with just messing with some SteamVR games for now whole playing with VD PCVR

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

lunar detritus posted:

You can see the latency in the streamer app on your pc.

Is there a way to show that in game? Like a HUD or something? Or to show a time series of this number? Right now I'm just trying to look out of the bottom of my quest to the second monitor to see how bad it is and that feels like it isn't the way people measure these things.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

Is there a way to show that in game? Like a HUD or something? Or to show a time series of this number? Right now I'm just trying to look out of the bottom of my quest to the second monitor to see how bad it is and that feels like it isn't the way people measure these things.

AFAIK, no. Maybe try asking in the project's discord.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chin Strap posted:

Just as an fyi, you'll be able to officially tether your Quest to desktop as a proper Oculus PCVR headset via USB3 within a month.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just as an fyi, you'll be able to officially tether your Quest to desktop as a proper Oculus PCVR headset via USB3 within a month.

Yeah I know but if I can wireless to where I'm happy enough that would be even better. My room where my PC is isn't the best room in the house for VR space and I don't want to move it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

El Grillo posted:

Also it seems impossible to 'beat' the enemy weapons properly. I don't seem to be able to make their weapons move at all when I hit them; it's like the enemy's arm and wrist are made of concrete.

I've had limited luck with getting some good parries by swinging against the AIs swing, kinda meeting their swing not just by holding my weapon the way, but kinda "attacking their swing" if that makes sense. Usually seems to make them recoil and even hit the weapon out of their hands sometimes. Granted i almost exclusively use big beefy weapons like dane axe, two handed sword, longsword and etc, that might be having an effect too.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

I've had limited luck with getting some good parries by swinging against the AIs swing, kinda meeting their swing not just by holding my weapon the way, but kinda "attacking their swing" if that makes sense. Usually seems to make them recoil and even hit the weapon out of their hands sometimes. Granted i almost exclusively use big beefy weapons like dane axe, two handed sword, longsword and etc, that might be having an effect too.
Actually yes you're right, I think I've done the same although mostly accidentally given the haphazardness of their attacks.

What it needs now is some assessment of strength when you make a strike which is parried by an enemy's weapon or shield - so that either you move the weapon/shield a bit, opening up an exposed area for attack, or perhaps you could make the enemy stagger or whatever (is that already a mechanic beyond just when you parry their attacks and when you actually land an attack on them?)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Baron von der Loon posted:

Last weekend, I was asked to bring something to game evening with friends. I decided to do some googling to look for alternatives for "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes"(never really found it to work well in a group), and came across a game I had never heard of before: Puppet Fever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPvR0TbyIQ

It's basically charades. The player with the headset gets something he needs to imitate with a number of puppets and tools. The other players can watch using a companion app on Android or iOS what is being acted out. Summed up: It really made the evening and everyone got into it really fast, especially after streaming to the television. None of the other players had done much with VR before, but were able to pick it up really fast after a single demonstration. It works really intuitive, and people understood quickly how to improvise and come up with tricks to play things out.

Most surprising to me: it's for free on the Quest(with additional words for DLC).

Just wanted to share it. I have a feeling it isn't that well known and it really should stand out more.

drat this looks amazing for showing off VR to people without it becoming a weird thing where only one person gets to have fun at a time

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The quest has re-invigorated my kids/me on vr.

The PSVR was cool, but gently caress was it a hassle. This throwing it on your face and just playing is amazing.

That battery though....sheesh. 2 hours.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

The quest has re-invigorated my kids/me on vr.

The PSVR was cool, but gently caress was it a hassle. This throwing it on your face and just playing is amazing.

That battery though....sheesh. 2 hours.

Get this https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Small-10000mAh-Portable/dp/B07DDF8CNK?sa-no-redirect=1

Strap it to the back headband with some velcro. Get extra life and a counterweight to make it more comfortable.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Chin Strap posted:

Get this https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Small-10000mAh-Portable/dp/B07DDF8CNK?sa-no-redirect=1

Strap it to the back headband with some velcro. Get extra life and a counterweight to make it more comfortable.

Alright! Thanks.

Now, if they'd just add support for multiple headsets so we could all watch movies together. And pair up to play a doubles game of beatsaber and break every lamp in the house.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Alright! Thanks.

Now, if they'd just add support for multiple headsets so we could all watch movies together. And pair up to play a doubles game of beatsaber and break every lamp in the house.

You can all download the free BigScreen app in Quest and make a private room together to join. That way you can stream anything from your PC desktop and everyone could watch in a virtual movie theater.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

spacetoaster posted:

In addition to the charades game linked, you might want to check out this for family fun times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP29BxhvHfc

Basically one person is in the quest, and the rest of the family is on their phones/tablets trying to score against the person in the quest. Never played it so I can't say how it is, but it looks nice, and is one of the few asynchronous VR living room games along with that charades game and Keep Talking and No One Explodes (which is also really fun).

As far as sales numbers, they haven't said anything official beyond "selling as fast as they can make them", and developers reporting record sales on the quest compared to other platforms.

spacetoaster posted:

Alright! Thanks.

I mean as Zero said you could all join bigscreen and watch together but, lol as long as everyone is living in the same house that seems a bit nuts to do

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
So I took the risk and got Borderlands 2 VR and it seems.. pretty fun? I made it to level 5 in about an hour or so session and the gun fights were great honestly (and getting your first skill points up to level 5 is arguably the shittiest part of the game). I've seen a lot of complaints about the scale being off and the projection being weird but honestly it played really well and seemed like a solid port despite me setting a timer to be able to refund it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The complaints of scale seem to be based around the Index. It seems like Oculus, Vive and WMR folks don’t have issues