Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

fishmech posted:

Both of these are somewhat awkward things to pull off and there isn't typically an easy ready-to-run program around, but various researchers and companies have the capabilities.

I figured it's been done, it's just a bummer that it's not something that's feasible for the average consumer to purchase.

My ex has a record collection that's taking up a significant portion of my apartment, and he's headed back this week to start digitizing and selling it off, and now I'm realizing how long this is gonna take, which is why, "why can't I just buy a drat record scanner?" is on the brain :sigh:

It's like realizing you just got monkey's-pawed when you start working for your favorite record label, and then realize storing and shipping vinyl is a massive pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm stuck in a dilemma of wanting to get rid of my records but not wanting to buy a record player to rip them because it means I'll start buying vinyl again [can't resist a bargain bin].

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

qirex posted:

I'm stuck in a dilemma of wanting to get rid of my records but not wanting to buy a record player to rip them because it means I'll start buying vinyl again [can't resist a bargain bin].

tfw you invite someone over to your house for the first time, and they see all the vinyl you have, nod sagely, and say, "I see you've also got a problem with the black crack."

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

why do people want to digitize their old records? I can't imagine the average person has that many vinyl-only releases that have not already been available on CD or whatever other digital format for decades by this point. The only reason not to buy it on a new digital format is if your time is worthless.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not sure if this is the reason most people think but the two main reasons are:

A) The vinyl mastering sometimes is different and done by a different producer/studio. This is very striking in some cases like in old RHCP albums where the CDs and the first digital editions were based off the CDs and the production in them was terrible, filled with distortion and severe clipping, while the vinyl mastering had none of these issues. I believe they eventually phased out the CD-rips in favor of the vinyl originals so that is no longer a problem in most venues.
B) The music isn't available anywhere else, either on the Internet or even on CDs.

Also I'd argue that anyone in 2019 with a vinyl collection, familiarity with the Internet, access to a paid geeky forum and the willingness to digitize their records is not "the average person" even if you're thinking in terms of "average person with vinyls".

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 23, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

polyester concept posted:

why do people want to digitize their old records? I can't imagine the average person has that many vinyl-only releases that have not already been available on CD or whatever other digital format for decades by this point. The only reason not to buy it on a new digital format is if your time is worthless.

It's actually something of a pain in the rear end to get an official or pirate digital version of a lot of random stuff you wouldn't think would be hard to get. So if you already have the music you want to listen to on a record that's in good shape, and you wouldn't need to sit there through the whole play process just to get a digital copy, isn't it obvious why you'd want to?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

polyester concept posted:

Elentor posted:

B) The music isn't available anywhere else, either on the Internet or even on CDs.

It's this.

My ex has a bunch of super rare jazz, techno, ambient, and drum n bass, and a lot of dnb dubplates, which are basically one-off records in a lot of cases. In my dad's business's case, it was more that we were doing that poo poo in the late 90s, before digital music was a thing, and a lot of things people in our town had on vinyl weren't available on CDs. It's better now, but a lot of the vintage stuff is still un-digitized.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I have craploads of old dance music that would be super difficult to find on CD. I’ve found pretty much everything I really liked elsewhere.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Forget vinyl, there's a ton of music that was released on CD that has never been released digitally.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think "there's a ton of music that was released on vinyl that has never been released on CD" takes considerable precedence on the subject matter because it goes without saying they also haven't been released digitally.

But yeah there's no shortage of CDs that simply are not available anywhere on the Internet, anywhere. It took me 13 years to finish a collection of an artist's CDs just so I could convert them to MP3.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is why raiding places like what.cd is a bad thing because it probably had more stuff in its archives, including different versions of lots of records, than anywhere else. I believe Jason Scott managed to get a complete dump of the site at least.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Just remember to have your system playing at reference volume when you digitize your records. They'll sound flat and lifeless otherwise.

Yes, I've read this argument before. No, I can't remember where. I particularly like it because it falls into the realm of actual possibility, since excess sound pressure can affect vinyl playback somewhat, but I have yet to hear of any blind testing, and it reinforces the audiophile idea that "distortion is bad unless it's distortion that I personally approve of."

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

An actual, real problem recording from a record player is that airborne sound can also be picked up by the pickup. You definitely want to place a rigid cover over the player while recording from it, otherwise it might pick up you talking, or keyboard clattering, or echo of itself through any speakers hooked up..

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

nielsm posted:

An actual, real problem recording from a record player is that airborne sound can also be picked up by the pickup. You definitely want to place a rigid cover over the player while recording from it, otherwise it might pick up you talking, or keyboard clattering, or echo of itself through any speakers hooked up..

Right. The argument is that having the feedback is superior to not having it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Digitize vinyl with nice lovely feedback
Cut digital pressing back to vinyl
Repeat until more feedback than music

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Digitize vinyl with nice lovely feedback
Cut digital pressing back to vinyl
Repeat until more feedback than music

"I am sitting in a room.
Unlike the one you are in now, it has a $200,000 turntable, connected to a $350,000 preamp via handmade, solid silver, starhex interconnects, at $10,000 an inch. What you will hear then, is the wideest soundstage imaginable with blacks deeper than the depths of space"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

use a phase system to play a record on a turntable with a weak motor through serato, then you have the convenience of digital but the speed wobble of analog

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Play the record back really really slowly, then when you speed it up, all the noise ends up in frequencies above human hearing :eng101: more probably :eng99:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

The funny thing about that turntable is if it broke while it was running it could genuinely gently caress up your room, 175 pounds spinning at 33 rpm is a lot of energy for your floor, walls and the rest of your six figure hifi system to absorb.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is why raiding places like what.cd is a bad thing because it probably had more stuff in its archives, including different versions of lots of records, than anywhere else. I believe Jason Scott managed to get a complete dump of the site at least.

I miss What.cd. They were great when I had to DJ vinyl and then found out at the last second that it was just CDJs at the venue.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Panty Saluter posted:

Unfortunately those kind of suck, especially for the price

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/elp-lt-1lrc-laser-turntable/

quote:

Caveat emptor: The ELP will only play back “black” vinyl records. Specialty records pressed on clear or colored vinyl will not work.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I knew a guy in high school who had this record player that tray-loaded the album, like a big CD. And the needle tracked radially along the record, instead of swinging in an arc on a tone arm, which was supposed to give better sound quality because the needle was always presenting the same aspect to the groove. But the cool part was that it had a laser inside, to optically detect the space between songs and then you could skip from track to track by pressing a button, just like a CD.

Hell, maybe that kind of thing is still around.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
re: Vinyl Chat

My biggest audiophile problem (other than headphones)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

synthetik posted:

re: Vinyl Chat

My biggest audiophile problem (other than headphones)

Oh hey :whatup:

That's a good setup.
I've got my decks on a 4x2 KALLAX and It's just okay...
I mean record storage underneath is alright I suppose, but honestly I'd really prefer to flip through crates as it's easier digging front to back instead of left to right. So most of my frequent flyers wind up in a steamer trunk nearby.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Same, I’ve got flight cases for stuff that I (still) haul around or play regularly.

I need to find some type of lighting for the Kallax units, at night it’s impossible to see, made more difficult cause I’m also old as hell.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I got a couple of 2x2 Kallax and left a gap between them which I bridged with a glass IKEA tabletop, makes it easier to stand at and mix.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Phanatic posted:

I knew a guy in high school who had this record player that tray-loaded the album, like a big CD. And the needle tracked radially along the record, instead of swinging in an arc on a tone arm, which was supposed to give better sound quality because the needle was always presenting the same aspect to the groove. But the cool part was that it had a laser inside, to optically detect the space between songs and then you could skip from track to track by pressing a button, just like a CD.

Hell, maybe that kind of thing is still around.

There were quite a number of those designs in the 70s and 80s, and a variant of that sort of needle mechanism was used for playback of the CED format of video discs (which used discs with a physical groove in them). I don't think they've been manufactured in large quantities since the 90s though.

Some of the fanciest ones were capable of flipping the needle around so that both sides of a record could be played without the user having to remove the record and flip it over, such as the one featured in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oeTqAogMvA

Naturally tho, in those dual side playing ones skipping on the traditional platter arrangement means the whole thing requires quite a bit more complexity all around and you certainly get more need for maintenence and repairs.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

fishmech posted:

There were quite a number of those designs in the 70s and 80s, and a variant of that sort of needle mechanism was used for playback of the CED format of video discs (which used discs with a physical groove in them). I don't think they've been manufactured in large quantities since the 90s though.

Some of the fanciest ones were capable of flipping the needle around so that both sides of a record could be played without the user having to remove the record and flip it over, such as the one featured in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oeTqAogMvA

Naturally tho, in those dual side playing ones skipping on the traditional platter arrangement means the whole thing requires quite a bit more complexity all around and you certainly get more need for maintenence and repairs.

How does the reverse side work? Is there some kind of tension on the needle to make sure it keeps the right connection to the groove? Sorry, that's probably in the video, but I'm on mobile and trying to puzzle out how you'd do that with physical contact involved. I know there are Laserdisc players with the laser capable of flipping onto a second carriage and reading the bottom side of the disc, and even that had technical limitations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

synthetik posted:

Same, I’ve got flight cases for stuff that I (still) haul around or play regularly.

I need to find some type of lighting for the Kallax units, at night it’s impossible to see, made more difficult cause I’m also old as hell.

https://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips/ac-power-5050-led-strips

DC House Grooves' Andy Grant uses them and they're wonderful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R9vfqq1GdM

What flight cases do you have? I kind of want a couple to organize sets in and bring to friends' house (not for actual flying).

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I got a couple of 2x2 Kallax and left a gap between them which I bridged with a glass IKEA tabletop, makes it easier to stand at and mix.
I had the idea of doing something similar. One on each side and one in front to make a U-shape. Then plexiglass (or just a fat sheet of acryllic) over the backs of each so records don't fall out the back.
I was also going to solve the lighting problem by drilling lots of little holes around the edges of the plexiglass and inserting LEDs or doing the aforementioned LED strips around the edges so that the whole sheet of plexiglass would glow.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

How does the reverse side work? Is there some kind of tension on the needle to make sure it keeps the right connection to the groove? Sorry, that's probably in the video, but I'm on mobile and trying to puzzle out how you'd do that with physical contact involved. I know there are Laserdisc players with the laser capable of flipping onto a second carriage and reading the bottom side of the disc, and even that had technical limitations.

Essentially in this player, you have the motorized tone arm assembly (needed to handle the track skip and arbitrary track order playback) mounted on an additional motorized assembly that can flip the needle portion over and then move the whole arm down to press up from the bottom instead of press down from the top. Works decently but means there's a ton more stuff to need repair over time.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

fishmech posted:

Essentially in this player, you have the motorized tone arm assembly (needed to handle the track skip and arbitrary track order playback) mounted on an additional motorized assembly that can flip the needle portion over and then move the whole arm down to press up from the bottom instead of press down from the top. Works decently but means there's a ton more stuff to need repair over time.

Fishmech, you’re falling down on the job here, you didn’t bother to watch the video you yourself posted and have thus managed to avoid existing in your favorite posting state (being technically correct). It has two styluses and therefore two tone arms, one for each side, probably because it was way cheaper and more reliable to build that way than the Rube Goldberg idea you imagined. It’s still overcomplicated and bad, but not in that way.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BobHoward posted:

Fishmech, you’re falling down on the job here, you didn’t bother to watch the video you yourself posted and have thus managed to avoid existing in your favorite posting state (being technically correct). It has two styluses and therefore two tone arms, one for each side, probably because it was way cheaper and more reliable to build that way than the Rube Goldberg idea you imagined. It’s still overcomplicated and bad, but not in that way.

There are laserdisc players that work that way and they are a pain in the rear end to fix.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BobHoward posted:

I watched it but it was like 6 months ago when it was originally posted, so I was going off memory. :v:

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

A literal black box:

https://twitter.com/twattertwats/status/1195122073053597698

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

I have one of those. It's magical, it makes everything recorded thru it sound amazing, and I don't care if it's a black box inside. (They're probably hiding some proprietary germanium chip routing or some poo poo...I know some guitar pedal manufacturers do the same thing.)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah rack sizes are standardized so I get there might be some empty space, especially if it's a simple device

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ci%C3%BAnas-iso-dac-usb-dac-teardown-2.9809/

They're charging Five Hundred Euros for this :eyepoop:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

I feel like the kinds of people who build and sell those devices are the kids from your street who were always telling people at school, "Yeah, I have a Super Nintendo TWO. It's way better than the original Super Nintendo. No, you can't come play it, my dad won't let anyone but me touch it. It's very expensive and you've never see anything like it."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nothing in my mind will ever top the guy whose dog mangled his $8000 power cable and it was just a garden hose with lamp cord in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

Nothing in my mind will ever top the guy whose dog mangled his $8000 power cable and it was just a garden hose with lamp cord in it.

You can't just say something like that without a link.