Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

infernal machines posted:

dos notches as they say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
more like buenos notches?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no mas, no bueno

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

MrMoo posted:

My instagram

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wow as a bigger gently caress off to the people who hate big phones for being unusable with one hand they’re adding a folding mechanism to ensure you cannot possibly do anything simultaneously as you hold and use the device

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the only way you're getting a smolphone these days is if they figure out folding screens, and then a manufacturer decides to put a second screen on the outside that you can use while the phone is folded up

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

well why not posted:

wow as a bigger gently caress off to the people who hate big phones for being unusable with one hand they’re adding a folding mechanism to ensure you cannot possibly do anything simultaneously as you hold and use the device

you know how the goal of every tech company is to prevent you from using a different company’s software and to keep you in the eco system ?

well they’re just expanding it to the logical conclusion

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

imagining that thing flopping around and smacking my knuckles as I try to look something up at an airport checkin or reception desk and just loving the future

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's a phone, not your dong

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can’t wait for the single flat screen revolution

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

echinopsis posted:

can’t wait for the single flat screen revolution

it’s been here for ages, maybe you have portrait lock enabled?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Raluek posted:

lol the screens aren’t even close to the same color temperature

it's the exact same display on both (which is why the left one has a notch without a camera beneath it), probably a combination of different viewing angles and bad photos

honestly as dumb as this is I think it's still better than all the stupid folding phones

still, nobody should ever buy this

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
at least we can relax in the knowledge that apple will never make anything like that, because that would mean phone get thicker

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Soricidus posted:

why the gently caress would I ever want to be masculine

:thejoke:

Soricidus posted:

it’s been here for ages, maybe you have portrait lock enabled?

i don't know how people use ios devices with rotation lock turned off, i got tired of my screen doing a sweet 720° kickflip every time i set my ipad down a long time ago

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Six Reasons Why iOS 13 and Catalina Are So Buggy

quote:

Apple pays special attention to new products like the iPhone 11, looking for serious customer problems. It jumps on them quickly and generally does a good job of eradicating major issues. But any bugs that are minor or unusual enough to survive this early scrutiny may persist forever.

Remember what I said about changes causing new bugs? If an engineer accidentally breaks a working feature, that’s called a regression. They’re expected to fix it.

But if you file a bug report, and the QA engineer determines that bug also exists in previous releases of the software, it’s marked “not a regression.” By definition, it’s not a new bug, it’s an old bug. Chances are, no one will ever be assigned to fix it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
More like

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

iOS 13 Reason Why iOS 13 and Catalina Are So Buggy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
good news for those of you that have been waiting, today your iPod is old enough to gently caress.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

MrMoo posted:

The screens look completely different,

wawawewa

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:thejoke:

i don't know how people use ios devices with rotation lock turned off, i got tired of my screen doing a sweet 720° kickflip every time i set my ipad down a long time ago

why isn’t there an option for full screen landscape video to rotate tho

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i understand this reference

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
those dastardly engineers, properly marking things as regressions or not

should all be in jail

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

those dastardly engineers, properly marking things as regressions or not

should all be in jail

the real issue (if this is true) is that as a result, it's causing bugs to be ignored

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

echinopsis posted:

why isn’t there an option for full screen landscape video to rotate tho

also i sometimes wish you could lock it in landscape mode

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

the real issue (if this is true) is that as a result, it's causing bugs to be ignored

all software has bugs, some known and some unknown. every software engineering organization must make decisions about which bugs to fix, which bugs to delay fixing, and which bugs to live with. some bugs are ignored, that’s a fact of software development on a schedule.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol that last iOS update turned on the ask to join wifi setting on my phone, which I've never had on. sitting on the streetcar and suddenly a dialog pops up saying MaRS wifi is available

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's what happens when you ride the rocket

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chris Knight posted:

MaRS wifi is available
hell yeah marrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9gOQgfPW4Y

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

The Management posted:

all software has bugs, some known and some unknown. every software engineering organization must make decisions about which bugs to fix, which bugs to delay fixing, and which bugs to live with. some bugs are ignored, that’s a fact of software development on a schedule.

so why are there more bugs now compared with "good apple" of the mid-2000s? i used tiger into the late 2000s because i had a ppc powerbook and couldn't afford a new computer and it was rock solid. is it really a mass delusion?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

like i get that i was running 10.4.11 and that's why it was so solid but that's part of my point, apple software is never allowed solidify, it's always new new new and there's no chance for a major release to mature

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

imagine if apple charged $129 for catalina like they did with tiger

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
programmers naturally want to work on building new things instead of fixing old bugs, because they find it more fun.

management is supposed to curb those tendencies and make sure that enough emphasis is put on polish and bugfixing existing stuff instead of making GBS threads out new buggy features

occasionally though, they'll get the idea to start rewarding programmers based on the new things they've built, and not rewarding bug fixing work, which exacerbates the underlying issue.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes because youre old and your memory is poo poo

https://appleinsider.com/article/?id=1100

quote:

Excuses, excuses. The point is that there's some MAJOR bugs in the OS at this moment, bugs that should never have been let out in the wild. I'm not talking mild iChat issues like icons not appearing in some cases. But iChat not working at all for people? That's supposed to be acceptable? Errors with sparse disk images that corrupts them? How does this get out (esp since it was really easy to find: Create one, copy data to it, eject, hey, its corrupt!). And this on top of the MAJOR problems in 10.3 with file vault and sparse images.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

osx pre 10.4 was a godawful shitshow that barely worked and ran like rear end, osx post 10.4 has been a godawful shitshow that barely works with endless rewrites of basic functionality and constant regressions

in summation, osx has never been good outside of a very narrow window that lasted about a year, 14 years ago

pram
Jun 10, 2001
every single apple release (even the holiest of holies snow leopard which caused data loss) has the exact same comments on how everything is going downhill and crapple is done for hth

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

pram posted:

every single apple release (even the holiest of holies snow leopard which caused data loss) has the exact same comments on how everything is going downhill and crapple is done for hth

you're conflating initial releases (which indeed have always been bad) with final versions (used to be stable, now they're not)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have zero issues with 10.14.6

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
actually, your operating system is a piece of poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sniep posted:

huge if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sniep posted:

:hmmyes:

apple really should switch to a tick-tock model, with yearly os releases alternating between 1) new features and ui changes and 2) bug fixes and performance updates. the naming scheme sometimes shows evidence of this (leopard/snow leopard, lion/mountain lion, etc) but theyve never committed to it