Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Dawsons look like CAWs I'd make and I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Why isn't Eli Drake a bigger deal? Jesus the guy is good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Roman Reigns posted:

He's great

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are any of those NWA DVDs worth getting?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

lovely little boots

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Cornette what the gently caress :stare:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

That's a pure 80s finisher

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uh did this run short

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Over? But there's still 10 minutes! Are the Braves coming on?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was a really abrupt ending, I thought we were going to get an Aldis/Drake confrontation but then the credits just suddenly ran.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Was that like... 40 minutes long?!

Did they cut a match?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

More like 45-50 minutes, so not far off from usual. Abrupt ending, but I think I liked this week a bit more than last week. I think I like Eli Drake, which is not a thought I’d think I’d have when I started watching this series.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Over? But there's still 10 minutes! Are the Braves coming on?

legit lol at this, well done

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This week was definitely better than last week, and the little ads/vignettes were loving incredible.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

This week was definitely better than last week, and the little ads/vignettes were loving incredible.

Agreed! I was really worried after last week that they peaked in a major way with their first episode. Good to know that last week might have been more of a blip than the norm. Also Nick Aldis is still the best. That interview was awesome.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Roman Reigns posted:

He's been uniformly terrible everywhere else. This format is perfect for him. All the OVW/Rip Rogers guys are trained exactly for studio TV wrestling so its like watching hand meet glove for the first time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Another stellar show. Couldn't watch live, but switched over after Dark and was not disappointed. Show rules.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

coconono posted:

He's been uniformly terrible everywhere else. This format is perfect for him. All the OVW/Rip Rogers guys are trained exactly for studio TV wrestling so its like watching hand meet glove for the first time.

Just to confirm this, he was pretty good in Championship Wrestling From Hollywood, which was a similar type of studio wrestling as Powerrr but with like 1/100th of the budget.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Jerusalem posted:

Yes! Thunder Rosa's vignette was beautiful in it's simplicity.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

coconono posted:

How was OVW’s TV when that was a thing? Was it a studio show like this?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nystral posted:

How was OVW’s TV when that was a thing? Was it a studio show like this?

I only watched a clip like once, but yeah, pretty much studio crowd. I need to check it out more but I think WWE has all the tapes now which means anything seen will be butchered to hell and back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They still do OVW TV. Its on Youtube. Its the same basic setup, I think. 1-2 studio sides and 2-3 crowd sides.

There's a bunch of indies online that do it which is why I don't think Powerrr is really resonating with me as much as others. I watch that stuff on and off so this is just a better production with TNA guys. So it doesn't feel fresh to me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I watched CWA once and it didn't really do anything for me. Powerrr holds up better imo mostly on the names they bring in.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

That's obviously Dan Quinn, the potato-shaped head and large ears are iconic

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 23, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All the other studio-ish shows look like they look the way they do by necessity due to lack of money, where Powerr looks like it looks the way it does deliberately, even if it's doing it to save money.

It's not quite intangible, since I know enough about production to see the difference, but it works as an intangible enough that it helps the show.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
This show is so good. Aldis is a great heel. Even his benevolent actions seem patronising like checking up on Storm after the match. And Tim Storm is so good! He’s the kind of white meat baby face that eludes WWE entirely. How is Tim Storm good?!??

Also the commentator with the “I’m a serious investigative journalist” gimmick is great. He’s such a dork but I don’t want to see the wrestlers beat him up.

Also the heels suck and I would like to boo them irl because they suck.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Is it me or is the sound a bit odd from the wrestling ring? Like there's a slight echo or delay or something as the sound from it gets to various microphones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DJExile posted:

Is it me or is the sound a bit odd from the wrestling ring? Like there's a slight echo or delay or something as the sound from it gets to various microphones.

Yeah it's really bad, their mics are phasing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PHASING, that's it. It's early and for the life of me I couldn't remember what the term was.

In-ring action was fun. I'm legit amazed at how well Eli Drake works, after he was so forgettable with TNA.

Speaking also of TNA, I gotta give Aldis credit. I remember how god awful he was when he debuted at some TNA PPV with seemingly super little training. Eric Young did his damndest to get a match out of him but woof. He was pretty well protected in the British Invasion stable, largely because Doug Williams can work with drat near anybody, and it seems like now Aldis has found a pretty good groove. He works a mic well and he's solid enough in-ring that you can buy him as the promotion's champ.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 23, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The phasing is a feature, not a bug

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Seams posted:

Aldis is a great heel. Even his benevolent actions seem patronising like checking up on Storm after the match.

i interpreted this in a different way. i am reading both aldis and drake as tweeners who are dicks about certain things and on the up & up about others. weird that the unapologetic throwback show is better at doing shades of grey than certain other unmentionables ever were

i think i loved everything about this episode, the finish caught me by suprise, everything flowed together, there is no wasted motion. even aldis's bodygaurd's weird gimmick of not talking is working for me, somehow that poo poo turned aldis quasi-face and the interview guy heel. it all feels so natural and economical

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah I bit on Kamille not speaking. I'm not even sure what the angle is building towards but its absolutely enthralling.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

coconono posted:

yeah I bit on Kamille not speaking. I'm not even sure what the angle is building towards but its absolutely enthralling.

at some climatic moment she is gonna say something badass and i am gonna pop big

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
she’s gonna burp

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

After she took that bump on the outside of the ring from Aldis' clothesline, I'm ready to put all my eggs in the Kamille basket. That looked like nothing but straight-up tile floor or something and she took that bump as clean as you possibly could, then was right back up minutes later like it was nothing.

gently caress, maybe the first thing she'll say is "I want to challenge you for the NWA World's Heavyweight Title".

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ganso Bomb posted:

After she took that bump on the outside of the ring from Aldis' clothesline, I'm ready to put all my eggs in the Kamille basket. That looked like nothing but straight-up tile floor or something and she took that bump as clean as you possibly could, then was right back up minutes later like it was nothing.

gently caress, maybe the first thing she'll say is "I want to challenge you for the NWA World's Heavyweight Title".

yeah I did a little digging on her, she's an ex-lingerie football player. I don't think she was the one that stiff armed another player so hard it broke her collarbone tho.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Kamille is awesome because when you first see her you're thinking she's just there to be eye candy, but as things progress she really adds a lot to Aldis in his interviews and during his matches. All without saying a word. :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh but seriously I posted:

at some climatic moment she is gonna say something badass and i am gonna pop big

*Nick Aldis complaining about something*

Kamille: You're chasing Amy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

lol this would own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Endless Mike posted:

NWA really chasing a very specific demo.