Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Mochiballs posted:

Hello I just downloaded Steam onto my Macbook and I have an old Street Fighter 4 stick which I hope is compatible with it. Anyways I'm wondering what fighting games I should learn if I want to go to EVO next year. Is there an upcoming release that people think will be big come next August that I can download?

unist runs on anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mochiballs posted:

Hello I just downloaded Steam onto my Macbook and I have an old Street Fighter 4 stick which I hope is compatible with it. Anyways I'm wondering what fighting games I should learn if I want to go to EVO next year. Is there an upcoming release that people think will be big come next August that I can download?

Play the games you like the look and feel of, there's people playing everything at evo!

Unist is my go-to suggestion, but there's a new revision coming out on February.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
That version will probably be stuck on the PS4 for a full year or something stupid

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's also coming to switch at the same time.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Boogalo posted:

Welp, GG music was mentioned so now I gotta go watch the trailers again.

Arcsys release the full song already you cowards.

same

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Pomp posted:

Good jam is the #1 criteria for a good character select

I unironically love the select screen music from Ougon.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

mvc1 character select makes me smile no matter what

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The Super SF4 select screen is just as good and functional as vanilla SF4 but almost a decade later I’m still mad as hell that they changed the song.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

The Super SF4 select screen is just as good and functional as vanilla SF4 but almost a decade later I’m still mad as hell that they changed the song.

Same. When I first got SF4 I used to leave the character select screen on so that I could listen to the music. Only other fighting game I had done that before was with Vampire Chronicle (Darkstalkers Chronicle). It's a very short loop but I liked it a lot.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Put Indestructible in all games

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TTT2 character select's opening rules and should've been the whole loop rather than transitioning into bad robot voice and dubstep farts. Using the piano theme from the opening and trailers would have been the best ever, though. That song gets you more pumped than Indestructible.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2OHOm7lz4Y

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006

Arzachel posted:

Play the games you like the look and feel of, there's people playing everything at evo!

Unist is my go-to suggestion, but there's a new revision coming out on February.

Oh that works for me because I actually live abroad but have my fighting game stick in the US and will travel there for Christmas. I'll give it a look. Thanks everyone. When I was at Evo last year (I was a volunteer even though I hadn't touched a videogame for like a decade haha) I saw that there are tons of fighting games coming out these days so I thought it could be fun to eventually get back into it. Preferably with a game with a local 'scene' but I guess everyone plays online nowadays.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mochiballs posted:

Oh that works for me because I actually live abroad but have my fighting game stick in the US and will travel there for Christmas. I'll give it a look. Thanks everyone. When I was at Evo last year (I was a volunteer even though I hadn't touched a videogame for like a decade haha) I saw that there are tons of fighting games coming out these days so I thought it could be fun to eventually get back into it. Preferably with a game with a local 'scene' but I guess everyone plays online nowadays.

Nah local scenes absolutely still exist because quickplay online is no replacement

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
They finally made a fightstick that fits my tiny hands correctly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

where can i buy that

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

where can i buy that

https://newwavetoys.com/products/street-fighter-ii-mini-fight-stick

It's for a minicab thing they make, but it's USB so I'm assuming you can just hook it up to a PC and have it work.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
complete with offensive crouch, what a dream

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

I've got your offensive crouch right here, buddy. *slide kicks*
Wait, so that actually kind of made sense? Dhalsim could do a slide in the first version, right?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Firstborn posted:

I got some of the most bizarre hatemail in Tekken 7 yesterday. I beat him 2-1 over three sets, then he sends me a friend's request. He starts by saying that my character is trash, and he's only been playing two weeks with a full-time job, wife, and house. "Combos are bullshit", and he beat me with just "ground game". Combos aren't the "spirit of Tekken". Deathfist is the toolset of an "unbalanced class", and he was "watching a stream, and everyone on the stream hates Paul, too".
It stuck with me a while...

A page old but the correct punish would have been to screen cap and @ ScrubQuotesX on Twitter for max damage.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I know my skills have severely deteriorated because I don’t get hate mail anymore. Sad.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

the only time ever ever messaged somebody after a match was an akuma player who i told to please stop crouching at start of round

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive gotten multiples DMs on fightcade 3s about how taunting is disrespectful and is why new people dont play fighting games

i play Q

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gutcruncher posted:

I know my skills have severely deteriorated because I don’t get hate mail anymore. Sad.

maybe you just matured as a player and stopped using dishonorable moves like throws

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I always add people on steam as friends and chat after a good set. Be the change you wanna see in the world.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Double post, but it seems that Steam Remote Play Together is out? Anyone try it with FGs?

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
Tekken 7 on Steam has been the most positive post-match messaging experience I've ever had, lots of times people will add me after, win or lose, and either give me mu advice or ask for some from me, or just say ggs.

I tend to play zoning characters and the most toxic hatemail experience I've ever had was sf5 which should be no surprise. Dbfz is in a close second and then sf4 on 360 is a distant 3rd.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wish I was good enough to get hate mail.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

chumbler posted:

Same :(

I've been playing a lot of SamSho online lately, and the lag today made me saltier than I've been in a long time.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

chumbler posted:

you dont need to be good, just cheesy

i got hate mail in tekken once for spamming invul moves that are easily punishable on startup

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

yo mamma a Horus posted:

complete with offensive crouch, what a dream

"Offensive crouch" is also, coincidentally, the posture you must assume to use the tiny stick.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Sarchasm posted:

"Offensive crouch" is also, coincidentally, the posture you must assume to use the tiny stick.

No you play it like a gamepad and you do the thing AVGN does where he sticks his thumb on top of the Atari joystick and uses it like a dpad.

I love that stupid thing so much it's the 3-way lovechild of an NES pad, a Genesis 6-button pad and those Gravis PC pads that you could screw a tiny joystick into the dpad on. My older brother always used it that way and he was pissed when I accidentally lost the stick. He never played Body Blows again.

Woden
May 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

I got a mail saying I was the worst player they've ever played against.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mochiballs posted:

Local scenes definitely exist, I run one! We built it from scratch over the last few years and ran our first 150+ person tournament in September.

If you cant find one, build one, you'd be surprised who comes out of the woodwork.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
When people disconnect right when I'm about to win I send them a message that just says "rude".

A lot of times they reply back with "Yeah I know, I'm sorry" or something like that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

Local scenes definitely exist, I run one! We built it from scratch over the last few years and ran our first 150+ person tournament in September.

If you cant find one, build one, you'd be surprised who comes out of the woodwork.

easiest way is start a facebook group, you'll find people

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
In Dark Souls 3 I had 4-5 people mail me after invasions and tell me to check out their youtube channels. I've never had that happen in any other pvp game.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Dark Souls 2 I invaded a pair of people, one sent me their friend's twitch for the ~reaction~, and ended up being another goon lol. Tekken on PC is crazy, bout all my post-game messages have been positive gg :hfive: kind of stuff or even turned into hanging out on Discord and playing more sometime later.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

teh_Broseph posted:

Dark Souls 2 I invaded a pair of people, one sent me their friend's twitch for the ~reaction~, and ended up being another goon lol. Tekken on PC is crazy, bout all my post-game messages have been positive gg :hfive: kind of stuff or even turned into hanging out on Discord and playing more sometime later.

A friend of mine occasionally runs into streamers in shooters and always goes back to check their reactions when he kills them. The popularity of streaming can sometimes be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Last time I fought a streamer in t7 their username was their twitch url. I lost to them twice and then they disconnected when I started doing better the third match. Wack.