Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

you should always wear ear plugs to concerts because everything's fine until it isn't, hearing loss and tinnitus fuckin sucks and please do everything you can to avoid it. the little orange foam ones are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks for the tips. My wife found us earplugs this morning. :)

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
I would pass on the colored foam earplugs, get the music filters earplugs or even better, custom-fitted plugs through an audiologist.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
So Maynard's just hot-footing it off stage before the show's even over now? The gently caress is this poo poo?(Skip to 10:30)
https://youtu.be/QcZPosboRqQ

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Skitz posted:

So Maynard's just hot-footing it off stage before the show's even over now? The gently caress is this poo poo?(Skip to 10:30)

Out of everyone, he definitely cares the least about Tool (and APC for that matter). Sometimes I wish the other three would find another singer to make another band with, because it obviously wouldn't be Tool.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Skitz posted:

I mean he hasn't really engaged with the crowd (other than the occasional smarmy remark between songs) for some time now. Why would this surprise you? Dude clocks in, does the thing and then clocks out.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Sure, but apparently he's the guy who clocks out at 4:58 while the other guys are still cleaning up.
I actually don't much care about the lack of crowd engagement - I've long defended his decision to stay out of the spotlight on stage - but grabbing the jacket and running off before the song's finished...that's pretty wack. Whatever, maybe it was a one-time thing and he just had to piss. What the hell do I know.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

He absolutely does only the bare minimum to get his money. If he really cared he'd be working with the band instead of saying "send me music when it's done."

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Me and my daughter are gonna be at the Indy show on Nov 2nd. It'll be her first concert. We're both pretty pumped even though they're cheap, nosebleed-ish seats. Gotta get her earplugs still.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Skitz posted:

It’s not like he just ran off, he made a show of waving at the fans and poo poo. Dude doesn’t seem to like being in the spotlight, I think it makes sense for him to peace out and let the rest of the band finish the song.

Maynard has stated in interviews that working together with the band is hard for him, because they tend to take every idea they come up with and take it down every avenue possible, and he gets frustrated because that’s not how he works. I totally understand, I’ve played in bands for a while and you definitely have to find a writing process that works for everyone, otherwise a lot of tension and resentment can build up. Tool definitely seems like it’s his lowest priority but I think some of the criticism he gets is a little harsh.

I’m going to see them in Phoenix tomorrow for my... sixth time I think? I’m pretty stoked.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

He only started seeming disinterested post-2000 or so. He used to have huge stage presence.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Lol that is the weirdest fuckin move I’ve ever seen. There’s like a minute left in the song and it’s the heavy climax but he gathers up his belongings and awkwardly comes all the way to the front of the stage to wave a few times and shuffle off. It’s not even like he wanted to get out of the spotlight and let the rest of the band finish out the song, he did it in the most distracting way possible. That’s some really amateur level showmanship, gently caress paying hundreds of dollars for tickets to a Tool show.

E: the last time I saw them was right after 10k Days and it was a really underwhelming experience, and I pretty much wrote off ever going to another tool show at that time. I was reconsidering maybe seeing them again sometime due to the new album but it seems like it’s the same old :effort: type show so nah.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 23, 2019

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Yarbald posted:

I’m going to see them in Phoenix tomorrow for my... sixth time I think? I’m pretty stoked.

Cool beans, see ya there.
And I still say that was a lame move.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

He only started seeming disinterested post-2000 or so. He used to have huge stage presence.

Yes. Pre Lateralus he was definitely playing the part, taking down stage divers, painting himself blue, doing the whole dichotomy of man schtick (or whatever the red/blue maynard represented). That tour was when he started placing himself stage right of the drum kit if my math is right. It makes sense given the direction their music has taken. I want to stay Lateralus was when their sound got way more exploratory and prog. With all the lasers, lights, and :catdrugs: one more bald dude aping on stage whilst dressed as a psychotic preacher is probably just excess at that point when they're going off on jammy instrumental tangents.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
He’s the worst part of the new album

honestly they should replace him with synthesiser dude

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm betting at this point their contracts are such that trying to cut any one of the four out of the band would deadlock the band for another 2 decades.

But that doesn't mean the other 3 couldn't try out someone else under a different name.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

edit: double post somehow.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 23, 2019

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
He isn't on the new album

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

It's a good show, y'all. If you're on the fence and you still have the opportunity, just go. It's not like the old days, but it's still very, very good.
Adam even sauntered all the way over to stage left to play next to Justin at one point! :monocle:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Skitz posted:

Adam even sauntered all the way over to stage left to play next to Justin at one point! :monocle:

what the gently caress

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/TruthfulTreason/status/1185632153478008832?s=20

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Last time I saw Tool (about 6 or 7 years ago) I remember Manyard just...standing there. Maybe some swaying but not moving around the stage. He was wearing a cowboy hat (though I might be mistaking that from the first time I saw them play) but I remembered how boring he was on stage. Besides that the rest of the band rocked and the light show was great.
It's strange seeing old video of Tool play where Manyard seemed like a beast, because the two times I saw them play he just was...there.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Maynard is just weird. I think during the Lateralus tour was when he moved to the back and just did his swaying and stomping. And I mean, when APC toured back in the day after that and the show started with the shadow box around him, he basically stood in the same spot the whole show but he was very emotive and into it. Then I also saw him sing a song while laying down because the show was in a seated venue and people weren't standing.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

It's more about the music and less about the people performing it with Tool. I think remember hearing from MJK that being in the back allows him to hear his monitors better and he can also see the others from the band and communicate better with them when performing.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

They played Descending last night for the first time this tour. Seeing them in a few hours, should be cool.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

It kicked rear end. Maynard sounded great, I was surprised. Loud as gently caress, 100% wear ear plugs. The stage show was as good as ever.

Maybe it was because we had end seats on the floor, but they weren't loving around with this either:

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 4, 2019

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

angrygodofjebus posted:

It kicked rear end. Maynard sounded great, I was surprised. Loud as gently caress, 100% wear ear plugs. The stage show was as good as ever.

Maybe it was because we had end seats on the floor, but they weren't loving around with this either:

Maybe it's my age and desensitization from going to a lot of metal shows but I thought Tool was the perfect volume. The mixing for Killing Joke was tragic, the set itself was so good but you couldn't hear the synth at all, it was all bass and drums, and it hurt my drat ears a lot. Worth noting I could only find 300 level tickets (and that was when I queued up early for day one sales, there were only 500 or so seats left when I finally got in so I'm counting myself lucky- and it was a nice view for all the visual aspects of the show).

Also, they were NOT enforcing the camera policy at all, at least not in my section. dude sitting next to me recorded almost the entire set, had his phone in the air, wasn't even being subtle about it. Other people around me were doing the same. Thought about chancing it during Invincible but didn't want to risk it.

There were two dudes in the 300s, one of them like a few rows behind me, heckling Danny during CCTrip. utterly obnoxious.

Bummed we didn't get Descending but it was still a drat good show. The new stuff they did play sounded and looked fantastic, I was shocked by how good Maynard was too. Better vocals than when I saw him in 2006. Loved his weird stage presence too, and that Noseferatu walk he did up the stairs onto his dais at the beginning was hilarious.

Slackerish fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 4, 2019

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Oh I loved how loud it was, was just not prepared. Agree about Killing Joke. Was so muddled, that was disappointing

On the floor they had dudes walking up and down constantly looking for cameras.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Honestly can’t get enough this excessively-long Pneuma reaction video.

https://youtu.be/-23__zILRgc

These guys have some pretty good videos and are pretty entertaining.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I saw Tool on Saturday. It was excellent.

Maynard sitting on the edge of his platform kicking his feet while singing Vicarious was pretty funny. He eve laid down at one point while singing, I think.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I saw Tool on Saturday. It was excellent.

Maynard sitting on the edge of his platform kicking his feet while singing Vicarious was pretty funny. He eve laid down at one point while singing, I think.

That sounds like the opposite of excellent.

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

IUG posted:

It wasn't a highlight of the show for me, but the rest of it was on point. Best Tool show I've seen. Descending was foreboding as hell, very happy to see them perform that again. When I saw them in May that song fell flat, mainly because I hadn't heard it before, but also the mix at the YUM! arena was bad.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The show was good on Sunday, but boy is their merch garbage. Nowadays generally when I go to a concert I buy at least one item. Nothing this time. The shirts aren't great designs, and for $45 you'd want the material to be decent quality which they're not. They literally don't have any posters, just one wall scroll that's only the album artwork. A tour poster would be nice.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sums up their general lack of effort this past 15 years

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Nail Rat posted:

They literally don't have any posters, just one wall scroll that's only the album artwork. A tour poster would be nice.

Eh? They've had a unique poster by a different artist for each individual show. But yeah, shirts are trash.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

IUG posted:

I thought it was amusing and fitting for the song.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Origami Dali posted:

Eh? They've had a unique poster by a different artist for each individual show. But yeah, shirts are trash.

I certainly couldn't find a poster, and I went to a ton of booths. Maybe they they just sold out by 730.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

IUG posted:

He did the same stuff in Phoenix and it was just mischievously impish enough to be enjoyable. He seemed to be in good spirits and having fun, for whatever that's worth.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

The show was good on Sunday, but boy is their merch garbage. Nowadays generally when I go to a concert I buy at least one item. Nothing this time. The shirts aren't great designs, and for $45 you'd want the material to be decent quality which they're not. They literally don't have any posters, just one wall scroll that's only the album artwork. A tour poster would be nice.

Always buy the $10 knockoff in the parking lot. Always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Always buy the $10 knockoff in the parking lot. Always.

I am normally okay with paying high prices for concert shirts because it's the main way most bands get money nowadays. But Tool charged $100 for a ticket and still wants $45 for an absolute garbage shirt so lol no.