Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Uthor posted:

I didn't think "I don't have a spare, should I get a kit or an extra tire" was over complicating anything, but okay. I'll probably get a kit and keep a summer tire in the trunk for longer trips in case and call it a day.

Haven't decided if I wanna get a new set of wheels or stop by the local junk yard. That's where I got wheels for my old car. That steelie is more expensive than cheap alloys at Tire Rack, so...

I got good advice here, I'm going to just pick up a set of winter tires next month.

Carrying one of my winter tires (in addition to the space saver spare) is what I do when I drive into the country during summer, but I also have a rooftop box and am stuffed with supplies so not sure if that compares. There is no cell service though so it feels kind of necessary.

Speaking of the spare, it's 14 years old now. I should see what it costs to get a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
If any of yall think 800 bucks is a lot on tires. Someone dished on on a set of perreli winters for their gl63 amg. 3k mounted out the door. 285/40/22 front and 325/35/22 in the rear. Woof

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Preoptopus posted:

If any of yall think 800 bucks is a lot on tires. Someone dished out on on a set of perreli winters for their gl63 amg. 3k mounted out the door. 285/40/22 front and 325/35/22 in the rear. Woof. and the thing is they had no choice. The only tires in that size are either Summer sports or thoes exact winters.

Quote us not edit. Doh!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I live in PA and I run dedicated summer and winter tires/wheels even though we dont get MASSIVE amounts of snow. Its nice having the ease of swapping in the garage vs taking them to a shop. The soft squishy rubber is definitely a big help when temps hover around 15F for a week at a time. I usually buy the cheapest alloys DTD or TR have in stock along with well-reviewed tires that arent the cheapest or most expensive. On the FXT I have had Blizzak WS90 and currently have Hankook iPikes and for the Civic Si this year I bought Hankook Winter ICept. Ive run the Michelin XIce3, the Altimas Arctic and older iterations of the Blizzak and honestly theyve all been very good; a massive improvement over all-seasons.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Stock tires on my car are 235/65r18, on 18x7.5 wheels. Would it be OK to run 245/70r17 as winter equipment on 17x8?
I found a good set of very lightly used wheels and tires locally. I know that the circumference is a little under 5% different, which means speedo will read 60 at 62.8 mph or whatever, it'll be a little closer to the fenders, etc. Let's assume it fits fine physically.
Is having these larger tires on wider wheels a terrible idea for winter tires, as I know that generally you want to minimize contact area to concentrate the weight of the car? Or would this be a tolerable difference?

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 11, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Stock tires on my car are 235/65r18, on 18x7.5 wheels. Would it be OK to run 245/70r17 as winter equipment on 17x8?
I found a good set of very lightly used wheels and tires locally. I know that the circumference is a little under 5% different, which means speedo will read 60 at 62.8 mph or whatever, it'll be a little closer to the fenders, etc. Let's assume it fits fine physically.
Is having these larger tires on wider wheels a terrible idea for winter tires, as I know that generally you want to minimize contact area to concentrate the weight of the car? Or would this be a tolerable difference?

What kind of vehicle is it? Is there not a stock 17 option for it?

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

What kind of vehicle is it? Is there not a stock 17 option for it?

2014 RDX
Stock wheels only came in 18x7.5 across that entire generation as best I can tell (2013-2018), but earlier years did have a 19x8 or something.
At TR, it suggests various 17x7 and 17x7.5 wheel options with bizarrely-differing offsets (RIP steering geometry) with 235/65r17 for winter wheel packages...

Recommended tire sizes for 17", according to some online calculator: (I think this just looks at circumference for a close match; stock tires are 235/60r18 riding on 18x7.5)

Hell, while I'm here...

There are some other decent wheels locally that are 245/65r17 on 17x7.5, but the offset is 35mm

There's also a set of wheels/tires in 235/60r18 (same as my stock), but the wheels' offset is 35mm

Would either of these kill me or is it fine?

I somehow seemed to end up believing that even relatively small offset changes were enough to ruin steering geometry and thus destroy turning radius, tire wear, AWD, etc. etc. but maybe I was mislead.
My stock wheels' offset is 45mm. Why does TR suggest lovely cheap 17s with offsets of 37,40, and 45mm? I thought even a small change in offset could totally screw you. :shrug:

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 12, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So the Honda Crv ran 2256517s that year.... id try that.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

So the Honda Crv ran 2256517s that year.... id try that.

Yeah, just can't find a lot of those wheels around, used, locally, versus plenty of Toyota/Lexus (all the 35mm offset instead of 45). Also, CRVs then had a 5x115 pattern vs my 114.3, and that's not quite a good idea even if it fits, right?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Yeah, just can't find a lot of those wheels around, used, locally, versus plenty of Toyota/Lexus (all the 35mm offset instead of 45). Also, CRVs then had a 5x115 pattern vs my 114.3, and that's not quite a good idea even if it fits, right?

Not sure where you heard that they had a 5x115. Hondas have had 114.3 since forever. https://www.wheel-size.com/size/honda/cr-v/2014/
Looking at offsets your right. You have a 45 while civicx and crvs rocked the 50.
I dont think it would affect anything its like less 3/8ths difference. IT would stick out a hair.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 12, 2019

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Not sure where you heard that they had a 5x115. Hondas have had 114.3 since forever. https://www.wheel-size.com/size/honda/cr-v/2014/
Looking at offsets your right. You have a 50 while civicx and crvs rocked the 45. Id maybe check around some acura forums and see if a 45 offset affects anything.
I dont think it would. its like less 3/8ths difference.

Oh, weird. I was looking at a few sites selling OEM wheels that claimed some CRVs had 5x115 instead of 5x114.3 but I guess they were just idiots. That does help, I guess! Complicating things, looks like some Pilots have had 5x120, and some 5x114.3. Ugh.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

e: nvm

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 12, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lplaTRkPjTg

I never knew that American "all season" tyres weren't quite the same as european ones.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

InitialDave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lplaTRkPjTg

I never knew that American "all season" tyres weren't quite the same as european ones.

Didn't know this either. Does explain a ton though...

Edit: Also, unrelated but saw you uploaded new videos. Youtube didn't notify me. Watching now!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 15, 2019

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I will hopefully have new tires waiting for me when I get home. How do I tell which side is out if they're directional? I'm taking them to a shop, I just want to make sure they do it right.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I will hopefully have new tires waiting for me when I get home. How do I tell which side is out if they're directional? I'm taking them to a shop, I just want to make sure they do it right.
They will say on the sidewall. Either an arrow showing direction for directional tyre, or which face is outside/inside for asymmetric ones.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. Going to have to go pick up the rims from my dad's tomorrow anyway, but it's nice to have them.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have literally never heard of this happening before, but the Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s I just got were factory defective. They caused the car to pull with a perfect alignment. Michelin replaced them for free and now the car drives straight. Huh.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have literally never heard of this happening before, but the Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s I just got were factory defective. They caused the car to pull with a perfect alignment. Michelin replaced them for free and now the car drives straight. Huh.

Its rare but it happens.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I paid for two alignments first because it's an E92 and it seemed obvious to me it'd be another thing wrong with the car rather than with my brand new tires.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i just bought a set so i hope i dont have the same problem

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Hello snow tire users, if you are tired of how lovely the Blizzaks are after like 500 miles I highly recommend checking out the nokian hakkapelittas instead, they are much stickier later in their lives and seem to have better treadwear overall.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just put Nokian WRG3s on my car, but if I could afford Hakka R2s I would probably have just done that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hello snow tire users, if you are tired of how lovely the Blizzaks are after like 500 miles I highly recommend checking out the nokian hakkapelittas instead, they are much stickier later in their lives and seem to have better treadwear overall.

I feel the same about the Arctic Altimax. Or old Pirelli Winter Carving. Or anything non-Blizzak. But the Nokians are indeed awesome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the hakkas are fantastic in acutal snow but i found they wore quickly in moderate temps and were noisy in addition to not being very good in the dry. this is a few years back, though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I now have a car with neither runflats nor a spare. It came with an inflator kit and can of what I assume is fix-a-flat goo.

Am I correct in understanding that the goo kills our very expensive TPMS sensors? As in, if I get a flat, I am better off getting a flatbed to take me to a tire place?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ultimate Mango posted:

I now have a car with neither runflats nor a spare. It came with an inflator kit and can of what I assume is fix-a-flat goo.

Am I correct in understanding that the goo kills our very expensive TPMS sensors? As in, if I get a flat, I am better off getting a flatbed to take me to a tire place?

Or be a real dad and carry a plug kit.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ultimate Mango posted:

Don't know about the TPMS, but I was adviced by my tire guy that the goo isn't supposed to be cleaned and they have to discard the whole tire if it was used. This is in Sweden though, so much be more lax rules in the US.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A tire shop won't touch a goo tire except to throw it out. And yes, goodbye expensive TPMS.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

jonathan posted:

Or be a real dad and carry a plug kit.

Yes, I would love to learn more!

I figured the compressor and goo was really not a good idea. Im happy to purchase and learn, if I knew the right thing to get...

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Wrar posted:

A tire shop won't touch a goo tire except to throw it out. And yes, goodbye expensive TPMS.

We fix it if we can, wash the poo poo out. Every shop Ive worked at has.

Ultimate Mango posted:

My theory is that dealers or the makers themselves figured out that a small population of people with a flat tire actually can change the spare or are bothered to do so.
Spare tires are heavy and are super expensive.
Short answer yes, warranty, insurance, and dealers want you to tow that poo poo the second a TPMS light comes on.
Goop melts the rubber with intent to plug the hole. Its super caustic and bad for everything except a large portion of punctures it doesnt reach and yes It will destroy your sensor eventually.
depends how long its been subject to it. IF you happen to park the car with the sensor at 6 o clock its done.
They have gone down in price over the years. 80 bucks said and done at my shop.
Learn to use a plug kit.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Learn to use a plug kit.

I am the least handy person I know. Seriously.

Im happy to learn, if someone could suggest a decent plug kit and instructions, I will get it before my drive to Vegas next week.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've been quoted $57 and $60 per TPMS sensor for my car.

Hey, OK, I spoke more with my car folks, and it sounds like I'm on the right track.

To refresh, 2019 Nissan Leaf with 17" wheels. Want to get rain tires for Western Washington.

This thread and others I spoke to thought going to 16" wheels was a good idea, so below is based on that.

Les Schwab wants to sell me wheels, TMPS, 205/55R-16 91H Reputation NLW3 tires and put it all on the car for $1442

Discount Tire says all that with COOPER DISCOVERER TRUE NORTH 205/55R16 91H tires for $1252

I was recommended Continental by a few people and both shops pointed me at these seemingly no name brands? Should I ask for a quote for some other tires? Do you think they care if I order tires from the internet and bring them in?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mazama Reputation is Les Schwab's store brand, I think made by Sumitomo (at least some of them are), which makes it really hard to get good info on it. By the picture and description it looks like a generic all season tire that's overpriced. I thought we're looking at Winter Tires?

Cooper is a huge tire company, but it doesn't have enough ratings yet on Tire Rack, IDK what their previous model was to compare it to.

LRADIKAL posted:

I was recommended Continental by a few people

I cannot say this enough: A Brand Is Not A Good Enough Recommendation. Model quality varies immensely, even amongst the same brand.

If you're looking for a recommendation, I would get Michelin X-Ice 3s. You can try the new Bridgestone Blizzak WS90s which nobody has had for a winter season yet (unless they're in the southern hemisphere maybe), the previous-gen WS80s were quite good, or you can even try and get the WS80s on closeout. Another good option is the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT.

Anybody should be able to order those.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Continental has made some properly good winter tires this year it seems. They won in all 3 categories tested in a Swedish magazines test (Swedish tire tests are probably among the best ones IMO). Best studded tire was the Continental IceContact 3. Best friction tire was the Continental ContiViking Contact 7. Finally, the best middle european friction winter tire (new category as these are now legal here in Sweden) was the Continental WinterContact TS860, which also finished 5th overall.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
My mother loves Les Schwab for their service, I hate them for being overpriced and having a terrible selection. I lent her the family van for a while recently and she brought it back with new front tires which is awesome, but Les Schwab upsold her on their siping so now it sounds like a spaceship and tramlines every imperfection in the road surface. Oh well, they can go on the rears this winter.

Has anyone tried the Vredestein Quatrac Pros? They seem perfect for the long, cold, wet but rarely snowing or icy conditions around Seattle. I liked the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 but they wore really fast maybe partly because they were on a heavy wagon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LRADIKAL posted:

I've been quoted $57 and $60 per TPMS sensor for my car.

Hey, OK, I spoke more with my car folks, and it sounds like I'm on the right track.

To refresh, 2019 Nissan Leaf with 17" wheels. Want to get rain tires for Western Washington.

This thread and others I spoke to thought going to 16" wheels was a good idea, so below is based on that.

Les Schwab wants to sell me wheels, TMPS, 205/55R-16 91H Reputation NLW3 tires and put it all on the car for $1442

Discount Tire says all that with COOPER DISCOVERER TRUE NORTH 205/55R16 91H tires for $1252

I was recommended Continental by a few people and both shops pointed me at these seemingly no name brands? Should I ask for a quote for some other tires? Do you think they care if I order tires from the internet and bring them in?

woah there's no real need to change your wheel size to -1 on a new electric vehicle. a lot of that advice applies to performance cars (or people who like to push their shitbox cars to the limit :)

what is wrong with the tires you currently have? are they already worn down?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ultimate Mango posted:

I am the least handy person I know. Seriously.

Im happy to learn, if someone could suggest a decent plug kit and instructions, I will get it before my drive to Vegas next week.

Youtube videos. There are a million of them showing tire plugs. You have to stop before the tire goes completely flat though. If it comes off the bead, it's a pain to try to set it again if you're roadside. With a plug kit, you will still need one of those little compressors.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

woah there's no real need to change your wheel size to -1 on a new electric vehicle. a lot of that advice applies to performance cars (or people who like to push their shitbox cars to the limit :)

what is wrong with the tires you currently have? are they already worn down?

They are very slippery in the rain and the rare snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LRADIKAL posted:

They are very slippery in the rain and the rare snow.

Brand/model/size?