Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

How's this for "My son wants to get a ps5 next year, and we have a 32" regular old HD television from 2011" ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NC9SPBF/?ref=r4m_udw_ds_dd

Edit: also we use it to watch our firetv stick, firetv recast OTA channels, and Netflix.

Cheapness is a priority but so is getting at least an average experience out of a 4K capable gaming system.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'd say at that price you'll be fine with that. Goons generally recommend the 6 series TCL in the States but that would cost another hundred dollars-ish at that size, but it would get you a better picture and decent HDR. There are cheaper TCL 4 and 5 series but they're nothing special.

One benefit to that Samsung is the input lag is excellent so it's well suited to gaming. 4k images are good, but the HDR is poor.

It really depends how tied you are to your budget. For mixed usage like you mentioned it might be worth the extra to get a TCL 6 series. However if you don't want to spend more then the tv you linked is perfectly fine and is gonna be a huge upgrade over an 8 year old 32 inch set.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Costco has the 55" TCL 6 for $420 right now (might be over I didn't check).

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered the first one because honestly the 55” wouldn’t quite fit but 50” will. I appreciate the feedback!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Rhyno posted:

Costco has the 55" TCL 6 for $420 right now (might be over I didn't check).
I just bought this, it said good till 10-20 in case anyone needed that info, I heard about it in the tv thread.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I just bought this, it said good till 10-20 in case anyone needed that info, I heard about it in the tv thread.

Good deal, but for others looking, be aware the Costco deal is on the 2018 (R61x), not the 2019 (R62x) TCL 6 series. Stupid model numbers.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Taima posted:

I assume you have Panasonic displays like much of the EU does, correct me if I'm wrong.

If so, how about the Panasonic GX800, which has an excellent 40 inch model?

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/panasonic-gx800-led-tv

e: It's not really feasible or suggested to buy a 1080p TV at this time no matter your streaming speed. Your streaming service will take your throughput into account, it's not like if you have a 4K TV you can only watch 4K content.

If you're dead set on a 1080p set, you can buy something nice and cheap on the used market, but you would have to do the research on that.

Thanks for this btw. I guess the non-stupid thing to do would be take the 40" full HD TV out to the mountains and get a new one for the city. I like the sound of OLED and we have an Apple TV 4k (and a 10Gb internet connection) so should be able to make use of it?

Don't want to go too crazy but these look OK? https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/sony-kd55ag8-55-4k-android-os-oled-television-10658720?tagIds=538

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

So I jumped on this deal today, and it looks great until I do banding tests, I'll never watch hockey or any sport so is it even an issue? I'll have to do some further testing, but it only seems to look bad on tests.
The Amazon reviews are full of banding issues, and I could warranty replace it now or later, but for now I'm just not noticing much in real world conditions.

This model says 55r613. Is that actually different from the 55r617? Just like a difference in the remote included or something not important?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shyfted One posted:

This model says 55r613. Is that actually different from the 55r617? Just like a difference in the remote included or something not important?

Yup 615 and 613 are identical (just the IR remote)... 615 is Best Buy and 613 is Costco or something

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Crossposting what I wrote originally for the GPU thread as this is extremely relevent for anyone with a 2019 LG OLED

So after weeks of praying to NVIDIA in the direction of their Santa Clara office, while holding my holy chalice:

GSync over HDMI is now available.

In fact, it's been available for a few weeks but no one noticed, via an internal preview build available to "fast ring" Windows insiders.

You can find that set of drivers here: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-10-pro-insider-nvidia-driver-440-52.428574/#post-5711780

Some things to note!

1) This update theoretically only works with 2000 and 1600 series Nvidia cards, however the update hasn't been out in the wild long enough to know is applies with absolute certainty.

2) Your 2019 LG OLED needs a firmware update to register as "GSync compatible", but that DOES NOT MATTER. Just check the appropriate box in NV Control panel. Once you have the new firmware, it will be certified, which means it activates automatically afaik. The firmware update sounds like it has some other cool goodies too.

You can currently download the new firmware update for the C9 from LG Korea that contains the certification data, but since it's superficial it's worth waiting for the official EN firmware.

3) In general it is a good bet to expect the official firmware and the geforce drivers to drop next week at some point. So if you can wait, you can get this all officially soon.

4) If you want GSync now instead of later, I recommend running DDU in safe mode to remove your current drivers, choose the "remove drivers without restarting" option, and then install the preview build right after you remove the previous drivers with DDU. Then restart. I can't vouch for other ways of installing the driver, as preview builds don't play well with the official driver track. So if you do it some other way, it may not install properly.

5) You can easily overclock your monitor with an extra 5hz to account for GSync headroom (total of 65hz). This implementation uses true HDMI 2.1 VRR, which is 40-120hz ranged.

6) intriguingly, there are reports of 4K/120hz options being available in this driver, but they currently do not work. Tantalizing though. It is expected that the newest LG OLED firmware also updates the set to true 4K/120 compatibility.

For now though, on HDMI 2.0 you are stuck at 4K/60 (so 40-60 range) or 1440p/120hz, which of course uses the full range.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
nvm, think I sorted it.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 20, 2019

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

A few nights ago, rented Annabelle Homecoming in UHD from VUDU.
Looked good, no issues except 1 scene where i saw a brief bit of artifacting.

Ok, no big deal. I read the review, and i knew it could happen.

Last night, we rented Us, in UHD from VUDU.
Twice, I had to stop the movie and go back to the Roku's VUDU home screen, because the video started to stutter skip every frame(or so). Audio was crystal clear.

What do y'all think?

VUDU app issues (never had issues like this before
Course, thus us only the 2nd time I've tented a UHD movie)
Tv (TCL series 6)
Internet? (I have about 400 d, 200 up)

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Wifi signal strength/lovely router or lovely ISP is my best guess. The vudu 4k stream is about 15-20 mbit.

Vudu doesn't have a version of https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/us/ or https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/ but they can be instructive -- if your ISP is not maintaining effective peering with Netflix and Google to alleviate congestion they're probably not doing it for other providers either.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TVs are computers now, you have to unplug them every so often (but do not unplug an OLED until it has finished its maintenance cycle)

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

So costco has the vizio m series 2019 55" for $430, this seems like a pretty good deal right? The 65" one is $690 but I think it would be a little too large for my living room and not really worth the extra 250+ bucks price difference.

e: they also have the tcl 6 series 2018 55" for $420 but according to rtings the vizio is a little better overall? Response times are a little lower on the vizio and it will mainly be used for video games.

Slider fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 20, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slider posted:

So costco has the vizio m series 2019 55" for $430, this seems like a pretty good deal right? The 65" one is $690 but I think it would be a little too large for my living room and not really worth the extra 250+ bucks price difference.

e: they also have the tcl 6 series 2018 55" for $420 but according to rtings the vizio is a little better overall? Response times are a little lower on the vizio and it will mainly be used for video games.

You'll be fine with either but is the Vizio the G1 or G0?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Model M557-G0 https://www.costco.com/.product.7550557.html

My main concern overall is low input lag and low response time. 11ms seems decent for a "budget" model and the price is attractive(plus it's costco, great return policy)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You should be fine. That TV has budget local dimming but probably has the same input lag/response time. Enjoy your panel.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm doing some TV research and I'm caught up on one dumb thing. Viewing angle. On my PC monitor I cannot do a non-IPS panel. I am very sensitive the differing colors at different angles. However, I'm fairly certain my current TV (Samsung UN46F5000 from either 2013 or 2014) is a VA and it doesn't bother me even though I do a decent amount of watching way off-axis. Like 40 degrees off axis. Now what I'm asking is, my TV is assuredly VA right? Its not IPS? I tried to do research but I'm not finding that out.And if it is a VA, I'd be ok with a modern VA panel if I'm ok with my current one right?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I renewed my Fios contract and was given a 200 dollar coupon to use towards a Samsung device, so I'm looking at their TVs here (https://www.samsung.com/us/shop/fios/).

Right now, I'm torn between either the RU8000 or the q70 65" inch. Rtings says the q70 has the edge (obviously) but is it worth the additional 400 dollars or nah? I'm mostly using this TV for video games and netflix watching with some hockey and football thrown in.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I would get the cheaper set and use the extra money on a good sound bar if you haven't got better audio options

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I have a pretty solid soundbar, so that's one problem solved.

Although looking around, found TV refurbished at Microcenter and I'm seriously considering it,
https://www.microcenter.com/product/514393/samsung-qn65q65fnfxza-65-class-(645-diag)-4k-ultra-hd-smart-qled-tv---refurbished

EDIT: I guess my question is, is the above TV solid or is the Q70 worth the extra 500 dollars?

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 21, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Any opinions on this? Would be replacing a 5 year old 42" LG hanging on our bedroom wall.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You'll get what you pay for, LG's regular LEDs are medicore at best. Still, if you're keeping expectations low then anything'll do.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

You'll get what you pay for, LG's regular LEDs are medicore at best. Still, if you're keeping expectations low then anything'll do.

Yeah, I wouldn't be expecting OLED black levels, just seems like a decent upgrade from the current LG 42LN5400.

I am in no rush, most of its use is putting on crap in the background then falling asleep. Might as well hold out.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Moey posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be expecting OLED black levels, just seems like a decent upgrade from the current LG 42LN5400.

I am in no rush, most of its use is putting on crap in the background then falling asleep. Might as well hold out.

TCL Black Friday deal might be what you are looking for.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Moey posted:

Non OLED LGs use a VA panel that is actively terrible for blacks, it's more grey than anything. They have better viewing angles but for a cheaper second tv you'll be watching in bed I think you'd be better getting almost anything else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You are thinking of IPS. VA is generally as good as it gets for black levels on LCDs at the expense of viewing angles. LG typically uses IPS.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Oops yeah thanks.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

Thanks for this btw. I guess the non-stupid thing to do would be take the 40" full HD TV out to the mountains and get a new one for the city. I like the sound of OLED and we have an Apple TV 4k (and a 10Gb internet connection) so should be able to make use of it?

Don't want to go too crazy but these look OK? https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/sony-kd55ag8-55-4k-android-os-oled-television-10658720?tagIds=538

The A8G was 30% off so I got one.

God drat stupid car

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 26, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Is there any way to move inputs to the home bar on WebOS?

I know there's a button to access the inputs with one click, but I want the inputs on the home bar along with my most used apps.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

The A8G was 30% off so I got one.

Well I would describe this TV as extremely awesome for watching movies. My internet package came with an Apple TV 4k which I've not used for movies up to now but streamed some 4k and HD content and the picture is incredible.

Very happy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Congrats! That new TV sheen is always cool, even if it does take a minute to get the best setup done.

Random question: if I'm looking at an OLED I probably want the E9 because it's the one that can do variable refresh right?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The C9 and E9 are identical except for their speakers and bezels -- both should do VRR.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

KS posted:

The C9 and E9 are identical except for their speakers and bezels -- both should do VRR.

Yep, but get the E9 only if you don’t plan to have a speaker setup/sound bar.

For the record I’ve been running OLED VRR for about a week now and it is, simply put, loving spectacular. I could not recommend it any more highly, if anyone is on the fence about it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FilthyImp posted:

Congrats! That new TV sheen is always cool, even if it does take a minute to get the best setup done.

Random question: if I'm looking at an OLED I probably want the E9 because it's the one that can do variable refresh right?

And on this topic, are any of the Sonys worth it over an LG at this point? Budget is...say 2kish.

I'm going to end up waiting for the 2020 LGs.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

And on this topic, are any of the Sonys worth it over an LG at this point? Budget is...say 2kish.

My dude you have been television shopping for a cartoonishly long time.

Live that bad with money double physician income life and buy this poo poo on a random Friday afternoon.

For some content, my daughter asked me to upgrade our downstairs TV and I was only too happy to oblige, is 77" the place where the size/value equation really starts to melt down? Also, C9 or A9G?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 28, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Any technology purchase you have to pick a price and a time and just pull the trigger. The only time to wait is if you know that next year's model will be a huge technological jump. That's already happened with the LG oled tvs. Just buy the c9 in whatever size you need. Unless you know the 2020's are coming out this month (yes, October), stop over thinking it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I will say if you aren't in a rush it seems silly to not just wait til BF at least since it's so close if you're making a big TV purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah since we're less than a month away, this is the rare time it's ok to say it's fine to wait.

On my own front. I just can't pull the trigger. I have $1500 in Rakuten credit. I can get a 65" X950G or 55" C9 or 65" C9 with spending some extra cash.

Or I can get a 65" TCL 6 series and then a cheaper, but still upgraded TV for the bedroom.

I have loving choice paralysis. My wife doesn't want 65". She thinks it'll be too big (the space is perfect for it though) and she doesn't care about picture quality.

I want a good picture, but also have two kids, one of whom is 4 months old, so its like... when would I really enjoy that? I don't really get to ever sit down and watch a movie ever.

Ugh. My life is a mess.