Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

That spring break show was pretty much the only bright spot in 2000 - it was the last show before the Bischoff and Russo superteam took over so there was nothing to build to, they booked it like a house show, set up some fun matches and then had them.

It was actually building to a Hogan vs Sid match at Spring Stampede which is one of those interesting what if cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
And then Sid couldn't find his scissors.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blank stares, silence from the crowd.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I SAID, DID YOU FORGET YOUR SCISSORS???

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Eric should have gone meta and had Sid wrestle a giant pair of scissors in the ring.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DJExile posted:

I SAID, DID YOU FORGET YOUR SCISSORS???
It's been a while since we did this, and I'm so glad it's back.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TheKingslayer posted:

Eric should have gone meta and had Sid wrestle a giant pair of scissors in the ring.

they still had Ed Leslie under contract, complete missed opportunity.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The team of Giant Scissors and Giant Squeegee

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

coconono posted:

they still had Ed Leslie under contract, complete missed opportunity.
:aaaaa:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

It's been a while since we did this, and I'm so glad it's back.

it's really a classic and I always enjoy it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

shiksa posted:

i did a big wcw watch when i got back into wrestling bc i didnt follow it when i was a kid and hooooly poo poo i could NOT believe that moment. just, the most hogan hogan poo poo ever, and poor randy savage has to stand around and wait for him to get it out of his system before he can even, like, pose with the fuckin belt.

savage got it worst out of anyone, hogan regularly stole everyone's thunder but randy could not even breathe without the hulkster kramering to a stop in front of him and mugging for the cameras

you can pinpoint a ton of problems down to that fuckin creative control clause

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

savage got it worst out of anyone, hogan regularly stole everyone's thunder but randy could not even breathe without the hulkster kramering to a stop in front of him and mugging for the cameras

you can pinpoint a ton of problems down to that fuckin creative control clause

if they wanted the Hulkster's spot, they should have taken it, jack

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Randaconda posted:

if they wanted the Hulkster's spot, they should have taken it, jack

also: if they try i will rewrite the match so i either win or spend the next 2 hours kicking the poo poo out of the entire roster effortlessly

especially Sting, i think Sting and Savage were the only 2 people Hogan felt threatened by

e: how many times did we get the buildup to "Sting is finally going to defeat Hogan and end the NWO's reign of terror!!!" and the blowoff was always "Hogan effortlessly destroys Sting and wins clean"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 21, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I don't think Hogan has ever pinned Sting clean, or maybe at all.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 21, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think Hogan has ever pinned Sting clean, or maybe at all.

starrcade '97 during sting's big return, hogan legdrops and pins him clean after a ton of buildup of sting returning and hogan''s reign of terror over wcw finally ending

e: tbf ref was supposed to fast-count it but instead did a normal count so it looked like sting was whining about being cheated, nobody knows if this was a genuine fuckup or hogan fuckery, eventually match is restarted and sting wins

it still chunked off any momentum sting had though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 21, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Right, but you were asking how many times this has happened, and it happened once. It was a really terrible blowoff to a huge long-awaited match, there's no denying that. But Sting is simultaneously Hogan's worst opponent. He's beaten him several times and Hogan has never got a win on him in a singles match, just a handful of tag matches.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Right, but you were asking how many times this has happened, and it happened once. It was a really terrible blowoff to a huge long-awaited match, there's no denying that. But Sting is simultaneously Hogan's worst opponent. He's beaten him several times and Hogan has never got a win on him in a singles match, just a handful of tag matches.

yeah that's my bad

i guess i just remember the many, many nitro episodes that are just "hogan and/or hogan's buddies beat up sting a lot"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Hogan was a master of getting over on people and making them look like poo poo without actually beating them in matches, you're not wrong about that. One that really sticks out to me is the handicap match vs. Kidman and Awesome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yinlock posted:

also: if they try i will rewrite the match so i either win or spend the next 2 hours kicking the poo poo out of the entire roster effortlessly

especially Sting, i think Sting and Savage were the only 2 people Hogan felt threatened by

e: how many times did we get the buildup to "Sting is finally going to defeat Hogan and end the NWO's reign of terror!!!" and the blowoff was always "Hogan effortlessly destroys Sting and wins clean"

Hogan never beat Sting clean.

In fact Sting is undefeated vs Hogan.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Hogan was a master of getting over on people and making them look like poo poo without actually beating them in matches, you're not wrong about that. One that really sticks out to me is the handicap match vs. Kidman and Awesome.

he had to "get his heat back"

MassRafTer posted:

how many dqs does this record involve

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan never beat Sting clean.

That sounds like the perfect rematch for next year's Wrestlemania

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

overmind2000 posted:

That sounds like the perfect rematch for next year's Wrestlemania

hogan apparently wants one more match against vince of all people, i have no loving idea why

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yinlock posted:

he had to "get his heat back"

how many dqs does this record involve

Probably their first one on Nitro.

In fact he has 4 PPV pin fall wins over Hogan, plus one in TNA.

Now how they got to those pinfalls..

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Probably their first one on Nitro.

In fact he has 4 PPV pin fall wins over Hogan, plus one in TNA.

Now how they got to those pinfalls..

huh, that's interesting

you wouldn't know their record going by how their tv encounters usually went

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yinlock posted:

huh, that's interesting

you wouldn't know their record going by how their tv encounters usually went

3 No Contests. Sting also beat Hogan in two Pay Per Listen cage matches!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The TNA one is somehow the least bad match of the lot

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The finishes report for all of Sting and Hogan's singles matches

No contest due to Dungeon of Doom attacking
Clean pin that was overturned by Bret Hart leading to a second clean pin
No contest due to Nitro running out of time
Pinfall due to interference from Randy Savage
No contest due to Bret Hart faking a career ending injury then popping off the stretcher to attack Sting
No contest due to Sid Vicious and Rick Steiner attacking both men
Pinfall after multiple run-ins and Hogan fights them all off but then Sting turns heel and attacks him with a baseball bat
Pinfall after Hogan comes to the ring in street clothes and 'breaks kayfabe' by lying down and commanding Sting to pin him
Cleanish submission after Ric Flair attacks Sting with brass knuckles but then Sting uses the brass knuckles on Hogan and also there was a dirty ref?

So yes, Sting is 5-0-4 against Hogan in singles matches, but I'm not sure he actually 'went over' in any of them?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Pinfall after Hogan comes to the ring in street clothes and 'breaks kayfabe' by lying down and commanding Sting to pin him

this might be the most dickish one

there's also the bajillion non-matches where hogan and/or the nwo just beat the poo poo out of sting(or ddp if sting was busy getting betrayed elsewhere) for no reason, even if he's not even related to the current feud

hogan became like 10x as insufferable whenever he was forced to eat a loss because he would just bury the entire loving company to get his heat back

e: and i don't mean a 1-episode thing, he would do it for months

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Yinlock posted:

there's also the bajillion non-matches where hogan and/or the nwo just beat the poo poo out of sting(or ddp if sting was busy getting betrayed elsewhere) for no reason, even if he's not even related to the current feud

hogan became like 10x as insufferable whenever he was forced to eat a loss because he would just bury the entire loving company to get his heat back

iirc the Jarrett incident on his last night there was supposed to lead to a rematch to determine who was the real WCW World Champion, and you know who was winning that.

but then Russo spared the fans from that by calling Hogan bald during the promo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Max Coveri posted:

iirc the Jarrett incident on his last night there was supposed to lead to a rematch to determine who was the real WCW World Champion, and you know who was winning that.

but then Russo spared the fans from that by calling Hogan bald during the promo

Hogan sued over that, right?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That kind of blew my mind at some point recently, that over the course of 18 months WCW/Hogan pulled

January 1999: The Fingerpoke of Doom match (which at least made kayfabe sense but sucked)
October 1999: Hulk Hogan laying down for Sting because the bookerman said to
July 2000: Jeff Jarrett laying down for Hogan because the bookerman said to

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hogan sued over that, right?

Yep, the "bald son of a bitch" line

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DJExile posted:

Yep, the "bald son of a bitch" line

20 minute hogan/hogan lackey promo at the start of every single nitro: nwo is like the mob, i'm/hogan is the biggest badass in the universe, watch us beat up this popular guy and then beat up the other guys who come to rescue them, we literally cannot lose ever

hogan after being called bald: mom jeff is making fun of me

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 23, 2019

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Did he specify in the lawsuit that it was being called "bald" that was objectionable?

Coz if I remember rightly the phrase used was "you big bald son of a bitch!", so if one wanted to be pedantic, (and lawsuits are nothing but pedantic), Hogan could argue that it was the *gasp* naughty language he took offense at.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Legend has it one could never mention Hogan's (lack of) hair in promos, going back to his WWF run. Take with a grain of salt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yinlock posted:

The Halloween Havoc one isn't dickish at all, it was all Russo's idea. I'm sure it was partially to avoid a confrontation with Hogan but the pitch to Hogan was he'd come back after football season as an anti authority Stone Cold style babyface.

The Bash lawsuit also wasn't just being called bald. Russo completely went against what he and Hogan agreed to and deserved to be sued for it.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 23, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

The Halloween Havoc one isn't dickish at all, it was all Russo's idea. I'm sure it was partially to avoid a confrontation with Hogan but the pitch to Hogan was he'd come back after football season as an anti authority Stone Cold style babyface.

The Bash lawsuit also wasn't just being called bald. Russo completely went against what he and Hogan agreed to and deserved to be sued for it.

no it's insanely dickish, especially because the BIG INJUSTICE that would kick off that angle is "being asked to do what every other loving wrestler does and lose a match", and of COURSE he does it to Sting

is that the one where russo was like "hogan is loving fired", because I don't think anyone should blame russo for that extremely good business move

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yinlock posted:

no it's insanely dickish, especially because the BIG INJUSTICE that would kick off that angle is "being asked to do what every other loving wrestler does and lose a match", and of COURSE he does it to Sting

is that the one where russo was like "hogan is loving fired", because I don't think anyone should blame russo for that extremely good business move

How is it dickish he was booked to do something and did it.

And no, it wasn't. The Russo speech came at Bash at the Beach 2000. They did the same match finish twice. And it was an extremely bad business move and it was extremely good that Hogan sued over it. Russo hosed Hogan over contractually and Hogan sued the company and rightly so. When a company doesn't live up to your contract, you should sue them. His lawsuit also included an opinion from a judge that his contract gave him more power than was assumed which is also good for workers. People can hate Hogan and he didn't do it for altruistic reasons but when your boss fucks you over you should sue them.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 23, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
But how did he violate the contract? By calling Hogan bald?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

How is it dickish he was booked to do something and did it.

quote:

because the BIG INJUSTICE that would kick off that angle is "being asked to do what every other loving wrestler does and lose a match", and of COURSE he does it to Sting

and don't act like mr. creative control wasn't all over that

MassRafTer posted:

And no, it wasn't. The Russo speech came at Bash at the Beach 2000. They did the same match finish twice. And it was an extremely bad business move and it was extremely good that Hogan sued over it. Russo hosed Hogan over contractually and Hogan sued the company and won. When a company doesn't live up to your contract, you should sue them. His lawsuit also included an opinion from a judge that his contract gave him more power than was assumed which is also good for workers. People can hate Hogan and he didn't do it for altruistic reasons but when your boss fucks you over you should sue them.

I agree, but also gently caress hogan