Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

COOL CORN posted:

Also just watch every Joe Bob episode (The Last Drive In)

Or don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Null of Undefined posted:

Or don't do that.

Ah dang it yeah actually don't, I completely forgot about him being terrible now.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
I really need to watch those. I grew up on "MonsterVision," his Friday the 13th marathon was my first watch of that series and it was glorious.

edit: wait what? What did Joe Bob do?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

T3hRen3gade posted:

I really need to watch those. I grew up on "MonsterVision," his Friday the 13th marathon was my first watch of that series and it was glorious.

edit: wait what? What did Joe Bob do?

He's been writing articles for a magazine that is sympathetic to alt right causes, and one of his most recent articles basically said "actually white nationalist aren't that bad"

Here's a good overview
https://www.reddit.com/r/Shudder/comments/cngcsm/joe_bob_briggs_taki_magazine_and_white_nationalism

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's only one person I want to introduce horror movies to me, and that's a goth babe who speaks in boob puns.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was planning to (re)watch The Devil's Rejects as part of spooky movie month, and I learned that apparently Rob Zombie made a sequel? When did that happen? Is it any good?

Like, I remember The Devil's Rejects having one hell of a definitive ending with the characters going out in a blaze of glory in what might be the best use of "Freebird" in any movie ever although I like Kingsman a lot too.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

COOL CORN posted:

He's been writing articles for a magazine that is sympathetic to alt right causes, and one of his most recent articles basically said "actually white nationalist aren't that bad"

Here's a good overview
https://www.reddit.com/r/Shudder/comments/cngcsm/joe_bob_briggs_taki_magazine_and_white_nationalism

I was... not aware of this. I'm reading through the comments and his and articles trying to separate the Joe Bob character from John Bloom the man, and I'm just... huh. He's a Libertarian in real life, right? I can see how an entertainer would try to make a living writing dumb poo poo for stupid publications just because, it's a thing people do to pay the bills. But if he's actually espousing racist sentiments and condoning white supremacy, then goddamnit Joe Bob. Not you too. :smith:

I need to look into this in more detail to form an actual opinion before I write off another beloved face from my childhood.

Gripweed posted:

There's only one person I want to introduce horror movies to me, and that's a goth babe who speaks in boob puns.

If this is true then yeah, my teenage hormones were right all along. :arghfist:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

I was planning to (re)watch The Devil's Rejects as part of spooky movie month, and I learned that apparently Rob Zombie made a sequel? When did that happen? Is it any good?

Like, I remember The Devil's Rejects having one hell of a definitive ending with the characters going out in a blaze of glory in what might be the best use of "Freebird" in any movie ever although I like Kingsman a lot too.

He sure did and it's good. Not as good as it could have been considering Sid Haig got real sick, but still a worthy conclusion.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

Xenomrph posted:

It's good if you liked The Devil's Rejects, it's kind of like Rob Zombie releasing a "greatest hits" album about the Firefly family minus Sid Haig for the most part. It's not nearly as good as Rejects, but I love the fact that Zombie cared enough to make it happen.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The second segment of Creepshow last week was really weak. I'm also wondering whether they're encouraging their actors to ham it up because you'd think at some point someone would display some decent acting chops.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Just watched Wounds and I liked it a lot. Real slow burn which can be hit or miss for me but this was definitely a hit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The hell.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How is there no Purim horror movie?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

COOL CORN posted:

Here's a good overview

Cue another round of IT'S JUST A CHARACTER HE PLAYS GUYS GET OVER IT IT'S FUNNY

I mean the guy's a libertarian so like, what do folks expect?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

The second segment of Creepshow last week was really weak. I'm also wondering whether they're encouraging their actors to ham it up because you'd think at some point someone would display some decent acting chops.

I wasn't a fan of either segment really. Honestly so far the show has been a bit of a disappointment. I've enjoyed the episodes as like a nice little distraction while waiting for a football game to start or whatever, but I don't see myself recommending them to anyone or ever coming back to watch them again.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i rewatched Henry last night im always kinda underwhelmed by it. It's violent but not really, kinda grimey I guess, feels more like a bad TV movie than anything.

Friendship ended with Henry now ANGST is my best friend

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

i rewatched Henry last night im always kinda underwhelmed by it. It's violent but not really, kinda grimey I guess, feels more like a bad TV movie than anything.

Friendship ended with Henry now ANGST is my best friend

I definitely respect Angst, but the Rooker performance makes Henry more rewatchable for me. They're two completely different types of psychopath and Rooker's is just more charismatic and interesting as a character. The guy in Angst is just a rabid dog basically.

The bad t.v. movie feel you're referring to kinda works in the movie's favor in my opinion. That apartment is so dingy and depressing, you feel trapped in the grossest sitcom ever made and you can't get out. Or probably more accurate to say that you feel like Becky is trapped there, and you desperately want her to just get up and leave but she never does.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

see to me the bad TV movie feel worked against it bc it made it feel like a set rather than a grimy apartment. Its not like Tobe Hooper's Eaten Alive wheres its perfect GRIME it just looks like a lovely movie set.

I don't mean to hate on Henry bc it is a good movie and Rooker especially gives a great performance I'm just always a little underwhelmed when I see it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The score in Henry is really good. Will always hate the “plug it in” bit though. It undercuts what the movie is trying to do.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i was binging giallos before i watched Henry so the soundtrack was pretty crappy in comparison but i'm sure in a vacuum its good

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darthemed posted:

Anyone have an opinion on which adaptation of The Yellow Wallpaper is the best?

Yeah, any audio version. I don't think I've ever seen a good filmed adaptation.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Lighthouse sure is a thing, I really enjoyed it though towards the end it felt like it was 3 hours long but it's just shy of 2. Really good performances from Dafoe and Pattinson. Not as straight up horror as The Witch but a lot of fun. Not often you find a horror film with a bunch of farts in it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, any audio version. I don't think I've ever seen a good filmed adaptation.

its a really strange story to adapt to film, i cant see it working as a movie at all

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wow friendship ended with kvlt!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

i need more medical/hospital HORROR IVE SEEN DEAD RINGERS, Pathology, Visiting Hours, Awake, Dark Floors, Autopsy, Organ, Turistas, American Mary, all the classics so give me deep cut medical horror

SHAKMA

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

its a really strange story to adapt to film, i cant see it working as a movie at all

It's easy to adapt to film, it's just that what you're picturing in your head is always what you get, the most unimaginative kind of disjointed 'crazy' editing and acting.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kvlt! posted:

i need more medical/hospital HORROR IVE SEEN DEAD RINGERS, Pathology, Visiting Hours, Awake, Dark Floors, Autopsy, Organ, Turistas, American Mary, all the classics so give me deep cut medical horror

Infection is a pretty good J-Horror. The Void also takes place in a hospital.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't see "horror" and "hospital" and not recommend someone watches Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Just an absurd parody that everyone should try at least once.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can't see "horror" and "hospital" and not recommend someone watches Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Just an absurd parody that everyone should try at least once.

hell yeah, I love it. most people in this thread would probably like it too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brpUVlXt1f0

It looks like it's all on YouTube too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dark place is so drat good.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It kills me that Richard Ayoade doesn't think he's a good actor because there's no one else in the world who could have played Dean Lerner as well as him.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That reminds me, I rewatched some old Ray Bradbury Theater episodes the other day and there's some wacky poo poo in there. One episode, Donald Pleasance hires a company to build an android copy of his far younger, cheating wife, just so he can kill it because he hates her so much, with a backdrop of trippy rear end 80s sci-fi visuals and bad synth, it's great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I love you for reminding me of this absolutely wonderful film which stars Christopher Atkins, winner of TWO National Association of Theater Owners awards, first for Blue Lagoon, now, for SHAKMA.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Lumbermouth posted:

It kills me that Richard Ayoade doesn't think he's a good actor because there's no one else in the world who could have played Dean Lerner as well as him.

I'm sad he hasn't directed anything else for awhile. I liked Submarine and I thought he was really starting to come into his own style with The Double.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjm6gdzhoTs

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Lumbermouth posted:

I really thought he was set to blow up, Russel Brand style stateside when The Watch came out

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

the_american_dream posted:

I really thought he was set to blow up, Russel Brand style stateside

You thought he was going to have a very small and brief explosion? Like, you thought Ayaode be the lead in a movie as big as Get Him To The Greek?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how he just quit a travel show he’s done for 10 (British length) seasons because he realized he hates traveling.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

I really thought he was set to blow up, Russel Brand style stateside when The Watch came out

He’s in a new show coming to Cartoon Network, so he’s pretty much living the American dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I just finally watched the Suspiria remake last night and :stare:

Shot way up to the top of my list of favorite horror films ever. I can't believe I took so long to see it, especially given how loving hard I cape for Tilda Swinton, who is my all-time favorite actor.