Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MrNemo posted:

It's also quite likely company policy. As has been mentioned, people realising that the listed price isn't a legal requirement for the item to be sold at that price could start people trying to haggle. Likewise getting people angry at being 'tricked' frequently is probably not worth it for bad publicity and scenes being caused.

There isn't and I don't think ever has been a legal requirement for it.
I think in California if you have, like, an actual ad for the product or shelf tag or the like, rather than "i found this in the $1 bin", you have to sell it at that price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Zereth posted:

I think in California if you have, like, an actual ad for the product or shelf tag or the like, rather than "i found this in the $1 bin", you have to sell it at that price

Sure, but you could make it difficult to buy the product by putting an alligator in the room with it.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
That’s not optimal. The way every store does it is to just have one of those items in stock for the entire store and let the customers be each other’s alligator.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbC0-tuYE2o

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
In Massachusetts it is indeed the law that the product must be sold at the lowest indicated price, whether an ad, sign or sticker.

https://www.mass.gov/item-pricingprice-accuracyunit-pricing

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MrNemo posted:

I don't know, in the UK it's certainly the case that a listed price isn't a legally binding contract and isn't false advertising (in terms of a price by the item or price tag, which isn't advertising) so the business isn't required to honour that price. Same as if you saw something advertised much cheaper elsewhere. Now if you discuss a cheaper price when buying it and they charge you much more and you pay that, you have grounds for demanding they return the difference. Probably a much idea not to pay the increased price though.

There's also problems with dishonest customers replacing price stickers. If you say "the sticker price is the price, no exceptions, ever" you're guaranteed to get people figuring out what kind of stickers a place uses, getting a roll of them, and making everything in the store cost a penny. Other times stuff is just misprinted or mislabeled; think about stores that put a flier out then have a paper on the entrance saying "sorry we printed something stupid this one price is actually this other price."

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also problems with dishonest customers replacing price stickers. If you say "the sticker price is the price, no exceptions, ever" you're guaranteed to get people figuring out what kind of stickers a place uses, getting a roll of them, and making everything in the store cost a penny. Other times stuff is just misprinted or mislabeled; think about stores that put a flier out then have a paper on the entrance saying "sorry we printed something stupid this one price is actually this other price."

What you're describing is entirely too complicated and, even executed correctly, is highly unlikely to work more than perhaps once, and even THAT'S only if an employee isn't afraid of getting fired.
If you're at a junk store, just use your Barter skill to request a lower price from the employee in charge of pricing.
But be sure to read the room. If the store is busy or the specific employee doesn't seem amenable, don't try it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

There was a lady in Australia a few years ago that got in trouble for putting barcodes for cheaper products on things she was buying over the real barcode. People will do lots of stupid things.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also problems with dishonest customers replacing price stickers. If you say "the sticker price is the price, no exceptions, ever" you're guaranteed to get people figuring out what kind of stickers a place uses, getting a roll of them, and making everything in the store cost a penny.

This is true.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Other times stuff is just misprinted or mislabeled; think about stores that put a flier out then have a paper on the entrance saying "sorry we printed something stupid this one price is actually this other price."
Equally true is that corporate overlords will happily do this on purpose if they think they can get away with it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

What you're describing is entirely too complicated and, even executed correctly, is highly unlikely to work more than perhaps once, and even THAT'S only if an employee isn't afraid of getting fired.
If you're at a junk store, just use your Barter skill to request a lower price from the employee in charge of pricing.
But be sure to read the room. If the store is busy or the specific employee doesn't seem amenable, don't try it.

Nah, make use of high survival skill and just eat out of the trash. -50% rads!

Yes, people will absolutely do that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

There was a lady in Australia a few years ago that got in trouble for putting barcodes for cheaper products on things she was buying over the real barcode. People will do lots of stupid things.

That's a common thiefy tactic. You'd be surprised how often people actually get away with it. Self-checkouts are a thief's dream.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Equally true is that corporate overlords will happily do this on purpose if they think they can get away with it.

Do it too often and people quit trusting your adverts for a while. The only store I've seen do that twice was Walmart who everybody hates already anyway. I saw an Aldi do it once but their post was basically "look we screwed that one up bad and there's no way we'll sell it at the printed price but we'll meet you half way."

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tubgoat posted:

If you live in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, do not EVER sell anything to Games and Go.

I kind of expect this behavior from resale shops. I had a similar experience with Cheapo Records in Minneapolis, and I knew what I had and declined. I took the same records to Electric Fetus, and the owner was pretty cool and talked me through what they'd offer, how they determine value, and were up front with what they'd sell if for. I expect any business to have a healthy margin, but Cheapo records was at like a 98% margin, vs Electric Fetus that's closer to a 40% margin.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

roffels posted:

I kind of expect this behavior from resale shops. I had a similar experience with Cheapo Records in Minneapolis, and I knew what I had and declined. I took the same records to Electric Fetus, and the owner was pretty cool and talked me through what they'd offer, how they determine value, and were up front with what they'd sell if for. I expect any business to have a healthy margin, but Cheapo records was at like a 98% margin, vs Electric Fetus that's closer to a 40% margin.

Level Up Games is where I sell all my retro video gaming paraphernalia, I recommend them to others.

CDs and CD-ROM games I stick in the Little Free Libraries around town.

madeintaipei posted:

Nah, make use of high survival skill and just eat out of the trash. -50% rads!
Oh, I do.

madeintaipei posted:

Yes, people will absolutely do that.
At their own peril.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hehehehe the checkout lady rang it up at 4 potatoes but I actually had 5 potatoes and I didn't correct her :devil:

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Self-checkouts are a thief's dream.
"Mr Pixie Sticks, why do you buy twenty kilos of onions from us every week, yet ring them through in 44 different transactions?"
"Ummm....no comment"

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This sounds like a nightmare. And it's going to be US law.

quote:

You’re served with a notice. Apparently you’d shared some photos you didn’t own on the internet a while ago, and now someone–possibly an artist, possibly a copyright troll–can file for damages of up to $30,000. Scam, you think, and toss the paper. You’re served with a second paper 30 days later, but you toss that too.

Unfortunately for you, those copyright infringement proceedings were real, and you’d had 60 days to “opt-out” of them and go on about your day. But you didn’t opt-out, so you’ve automatically opted-in and waived your right to a trial by jury. Now a government entity unbeknownst to you–something called the Copyright Claims Board–has determined, without judge or jury, that you owe this person $30,000.

Now you have 90 days to file an appeal with a judge in federal district court, but the law behind this makes it extremely unlikely that the judge will rule in your favor, and anyway, you’ll probably need to hire an attorney. You’re on the hook.

This is a scenario, at least, which critics of the Copyright Alternative in Small-Claims Enforcement Act of 2019 (CASE Act) foresee. The bill passed the House last night and next moves to the Senate.

Scams to hit EVERYONE!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Pretty loving rich considering Forever 21 has been lifting artists' content wholesale forever now and not paying a dime and not getting in any trouble for it. Yes, supposedly they're named in various lawsuits, but the actual fuckers will never face consequences.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Well they filed for bankruptcy last month, so I figure karma hit them eventually.

(Of course this doesn't affect their founders being rich as hell.)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That's wretched, but at least the employees can go find someone else to abuse them now.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This basically helps no one here but I just learned that our biggest Telco has a service where they'll answer calls to your landline for you with silence and then ask the callers name. They then ring you and ask if you want a call from that person. You can also whitelist numbers so friends don't get that hassle.

Now for something like that but for mobile's instead of landlines.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inceltown posted:

This basically helps no one here but I just learned that our biggest Telco has a service where they'll answer calls to your landline for you with silence and then ask the callers name. They then ring you and ask if you want a call from that person. You can also whitelist numbers so friends don't get that hassle.

Now for something like that but for mobile's instead of landlines.

Hasn’t Google Voice had that forever?

Or is one of the mobile carriers. I swear there was some service or company that had Call Screening as an add on or something like 7 or 8 years ago. I remember being pissed when trying to get a hold of a co-worker and I had to announce myself because he was screening calls while being on call for after-hours issues.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can't shake the feeling that almost the entirety of capitalism, and especially banking, is a scam.

Like banks and credit card companies want to charge me extra to protect against ID theft and fraud with a Super Duper Xtra Turbo security protection. Motherfuckers, that's YOUR job. It's the loving definition of a bank; a SAFE, GUARDED place to put your money. A place with literal SAFES in it and GUARDS guarding those safes. The loving Equifax breach is just the beginning as far as I can tell and those assholes got off soooo easy. Any bank should be 100% on the hook for compromising your accounts, period.

And not a bank, but look at what PG&E is doing in California. Literally turning off people's power to protect against fires that they should have done to start with. Every single libertarian motherfucker I talk to who goes on and on about the free market being better at everything will bitch endlessly about customer service at Comcast, Verizon, BofA or CITI and bitch to the moon about Google and Facebook but what REALLY sets them off is a 30 minute wait at the DMV or the Post Office.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Proteus Jones posted:

Hasn’t Google Voice had that forever?

Or is one of the mobile carriers. I swear there was some service or company that had Call Screening as an add on or something like 7 or 8 years ago. I remember being pissed when trying to get a hold of a co-worker and I had to announce myself because he was screening calls while being on call for after-hours issues.

We don't have google voice :australia:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't shake the feeling that almost the entirety of capitalism, and especially banking, is a scam.

I mean. Yeah.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Like banks and credit card companies want to charge me extra to protect against ID theft and fraud with a Super Duper Xtra Turbo security protection. Motherfuckers, that's YOUR job. It's the loving definition of a bank; a SAFE, GUARDED place to put your money. A place with literal SAFES in it and GUARDS guarding those safes. The loving Equifax breach is just the beginning as far as I can tell and those assholes got off soooo easy. Any bank should be 100% on the hook for compromising your accounts, period.

That hasn't been the definition of a bank since as long as banks have been around. They've been giving out loans with your money since like 3000 years ago. Before cash, electricity, capitalism, pyramids in Egypt, and baby Jesus. I mean banks do bad poo poo, yes, but if you're going to whine about it you could at least spend 30 seconds learning why they exist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
For better or for worse sometimes somebody needs to borrow money. Loaning money has a certain amount of risk so it's kind of necessary to make some interest just to cover the risk alone. Financial institutions of course have a knack for attracting greedy assholes so they inevitably end up getting regulated. A big problem right now is that they're getting increasingly deregulated in ways that allow them to do bad things they should not be doing. Abolishing banks entirely is a terrible idea.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Modern-day institutional (private or public sectors) lenders assume no risk whatsoever because not only are the loans guaranteed by the government, they also get to imprison debtors for failure to pay and get to extract additional free labor without absolving their debts. Everyone responsible needs to be vivisected.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

BiggerBoat posted:

And not a bank, but look at what PG&E is doing in California. Literally turning off people's power to protect against fires that they should have done to start with. Every single libertarian motherfucker I talk to who goes on and on about the free market being better at everything will bitch endlessly about customer service at Comcast, Verizon, BofA or CITI and bitch to the moon about Google and Facebook but what REALLY sets them off is a 30 minute wait at the DMV or the Post Office.

the poo poo with PG&E is because after a few of the last years fires the state of California sued them because they said it was their equipment that caused the fires. So now they are saying ok screw you we will shut off power and then you cant sue us over the fires that are happening anyways.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Trastion posted:

the poo poo with PG&E is because after a few of the last years fires the state of California sued them because they said it was their equipment that caused the fires. So now they are saying ok screw you we will shut off power and then you cant sue us over the fires that are happening anyways.
Which they actually HAVE still been causing anyway, while spending ten times their maintenance budget on shareholders/executive bonuses and not doing even the minimal maintenance required.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Right, PG&E weren't doing the required maintenance which led to this issue and then cried "waaa it would bankrupt us" when told tough poo poo you need to take care of it. So their response is well ok turn it off.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Update on the lady who changed or had her address changed to mine a few months ago: after four visits to the post office to explain the situation and three clueless supervisors who said they'd "take care of it" followed by all the mail I dropped off to them showing back up in my mailbox the next day, the mail I'm getting for her seems to be winding down to 1-2 things a week. Highlight was about a week ago when I got at least six small package envelopes, all from China, which apparently contained hair clips according to their labels.

I know some kind of scam is at least being attempted here, but I have no idea what it is. Again there's a slot on the side wall of my locked garage the mail person drops it into, and we have a camera watching our driveway regardless, so it's not like somebody just changed the mail to a location they could steal it from. I've also had nobody show up at my house to try to claim it and it's been months. I've been surrendering all the mail to the post office to be returned to sender. I just don't know. :shrug:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

zmcnulty posted:

That hasn't been the definition of a bank since as long as banks have been around. They've been giving out loans with your money since like 3000 years ago. Before cash, electricity, capitalism, pyramids in Egypt, and baby Jesus. I mean banks do bad poo poo, yes, but if you're going to whine about it you could at least spend 30 seconds learning why they exist.

Wow this was really bitchy and missed the point

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Parallelwoody posted:

Right, PG&E weren't doing the required maintenance which led to this issue and then cried "waaa it would bankrupt us" when told tough poo poo you need to take care of it. So their response is well ok turn it off.
and then they didn't even turn off enough of it. a wildfire started, near one of their transformers, during a shutoff, and they confirmed that the transformer was live at the time

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

BiggerBoat posted:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If there isn't at least the implied threat of regulating their heads with guillotines, nothing gets done.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For better or for worse sometimes somebody needs to borrow money.

A bank I've used since childhood is a rural co-op. Farming in this country would basically collapse entirely if farmers weren't able to borrow against future earnings (and/or government payouts). It's a sad fact of life that if they can't get loans every year to put the crops in the ground, they'll have to sell the farm to one of the international conglomerates. Trump has royally hosed these people over, despite most of them voting for him. There are people in /r/legaladvice asking what to do as they lose their farms because they trusted the Trump administration to pay out what they promised, and then reneged on.

The co-op I've been a member of since I was a child is quite successful with their farming loans and has bought up quite a few of the other co-ops in it's area (pre-trump). I expects some hits as the local branches are closed as time goes on.

Sydin posted:

the mail I'm getting for her seems to be winding down to 1-2 things a week. Highlight was about a week ago when I got at least six small package envelopes, all from China, which apparently contained hair clips according to their labels.

I know some kind of scam is at least being attempted here, but I have no idea what it is.

Chinese companies will literally send random compromised accounts a bunch of junk so they can inflate their "verified reviews" on places like Amazon. You can google it as "amazon brushing scam" or just "brushing scam".

quote:

"Here's how the scam works: A seller has something listed on the website, then a fake account created by them or someone close to them buys the item and sends it somewhere random. That account can then leave a glowing "verified review," which is worth a lot to sellers. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadesh...t/#4f85977573da

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If it wasn't for the other mail I'd say she ordered some poo poo off DealExtreme and moved before it got there. I ordered a couple of cheap rear end LED flashlights then forgot about it. 3 months later I have a package from China on my doorstep. Punchline is that those flashlights loving owned and I wish I hadn't left them in my ex-girlfriend's car/house.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMehSfTmnbY

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

Trump has royally hosed these people over, despite most of them voting for him. There are people in /r/legaladvice asking what to do as they lose their farms because they trusted the Trump administration to pay out what they promised, and then reneged on.

If only there was some way to know an outcome like this was not America's best interest. They made their bed, now it's time to get hosed in it.

I do feel bad for those who didn't vote for him though.

Inceltown posted:

P sure my mom was arrested for this once so :agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

If only there was some way to know an outcome like this was not America's best interest. They made their bed, now it's time to get hosed in it.

I do feel bad for those who didn't vote for him though.

P sure my mom was arrested for this once so :agreed:

Yeah, used to work retail, its called "sticker swapping" or something and I think its legally considered fraud. Its why price stickers have cuts across them so you cant easily peel it off in one piece.